1 8.33%
  • 1 - Lost in This Mess

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Lost In The Flood?"

What did you think?

Posting Pro
    I enjoyed this episode. Which like I have started to do I fast forward through any and all Felicity scenes not involving Oliver either in the room or on the comms. So I don't know what the Smoak story line was and I don't care.

For the rest, well the action holy. It felt like the closet thing we got to season 1 and 2 in a long time. Oliver was actually shooting arrows and Diggle is still proven to be one guy I wouldn't want to get in a fight with.

Thea had her brainwashing stuff and not really much else. I have a feeling this will probably play into her eventfully arc of deciding her own fate.

Malcolm is well Malcolm.

Ruve good bye, you won't be missed.

Damien Darhk is now full on crazy.

Oh Diggle is going down his darker path. I'm really liking it. Also when Oliver realizes just how much he has failed Star City but still refuses to give up hope, well good stuff on that. Getting back to some basics of morals, symbols etc. which is stuff as a viewer you can sink your teeth into, is a another thing I liked about this episode. Which the roles of Diggle and Oliver have been reversed from when the series first began.

For the flashbacks, we got to see how Taiana got seduced by the power. The thing that bugs me is they are like 10 seconds long.

So I'm curious to see how all of this is going to go down next week.

I'm sorry Ruve is dead, if only because she could have been developed and wasn't.

Madman With A Blue Box Austin 3:16's Avatar
    Does this mean next season Ollie will b the new mayor?

Also will Ollie and Felicity train Darkh's daughter?

I thought it was a very good episode. Kind of shocked they killed off Damien's wife. Thought she was maybe going to continue being a thorn in Team Arrow's side.

Man definitely do NOT mess with Donna Smoak. She doesnt let anyone hurt her daughter. Lot of respect for her.

So does this mean Donna Smoak knows that Ollie and GA r one and the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Haggard01 View Post
    I enjoyed this episode. Which like I have started to do I fast forward through any and all Felicity scenes not involving Oliver either in the room or on the comms. So I don't know what the Smoak story line was and I don't care.

For the rest, well the action holy. It felt like the closet thing we got to season 1 and 2 in a long time. Oliver was actually shooting arrows and Diggle is still proven to be one guy I wouldn't want to get in a fight with.

Thea had her brainwashing stuff and not really much else. I have a feeling this will probably play into her eventfully arc of deciding her own fate.

Malcolm is well Malcolm.

Ruve good bye, you won't be missed.

Damien Darhk is now full on crazy.

Oh Diggle is going down his darker path. I'm really liking it. Also when Oliver realizes just how much he has failed Star City but still refuses to give up hope, well good stuff on that. Getting back to some basics of morals, symbols etc. which is stuff as a viewer you can sink your teeth into, is a another thing I liked about this episode. Which the roles of Diggle and Oliver have been reversed from when the series first began.

For the flashbacks, we got to see how Taiana got seduced by the power. The thing that bugs me is they are like 10 seconds long.

So I'm curious to see how all of this is going to go down next week.
    Agreed...more Oliver please. The Donna Smoak Felicity sitcom was annoying...but whatever. "Let's interrupt this solid episode with Felicity and fam/friends'" less Donna Smoak. Get out..
    Looking forward to the finale.

Posting Pro
    A couple of things before I get to the actual review. First: while I have been decidedly negative about this season, Iíve come to realize this has less to do with the events of the show itself and more because I spend too much time involved in negatively-reinforced back-and-forth debates on two specific forums. This doesnít change my stance on Olicity or my displeasure with Marc Guggenheim, but Iím not going to let those two things bring down my enjoyment of the show any longer.

Second: The people behind writing the episode descriptions and putting together the trailers for the episodes need to get CANNED. This is the umpteenth episode that was hyped in the seriously wrong way.

Now, to the review/impressions:

This was frankly an action-packed episode, which I didnít expect thanks to whatever moron is in charge of putting together promos. The running battle Oliver and Diggle have in HIVEís Ark with the Ghosts was one of the most impressive action sequences this season, and it made me feel again like I was watching Arrow again rather than a melodrama infested storyline. The hacking team of Curtis, Felicity, and Noah was full of amusing pop culture references and also showed what happens when you get three people with a lot of smarts in a room; meaning an explosion of ideas with at least one (presuming themselves the smartest in the room) dismissing some of those ideas because they have Ďno imaginationí. In this case, that was Noah Kuttler doing the dismissals.

The spat between Noah and Donna was something that I had dreaded, but they honestly handled this well and I could actually feel like there was, in fact, a sense of history between these two characters. Letís face it: sometimes, Arrow hasnít done too well in their choices, and neither has their sister shows.

The dual-threat of HIVEís plan and the role of Lonnie Meacham/Anarky in disrupting everything and thus living up to his name was a nice one, but Iím kinda getting tired of these uneasy alliances between Malcolm and Oliver. But the fact that Malcolm has been touting the HIVE line since joining them makes me wonder if he wonít be back in action as a full-on villain next year, to book-end Oliverís five-year journey in the flash and in the present.

The stunning conclusion with the destruction of the HIVE Ark and Darhk confronting Felicity, Curtis, and Donna is only disrupted by the fact that Darhkís new plan to just burn the world is once more motivated by the death of the woman he loved, as twisted as his and Ruveís relationship was. Why is it that the only character who didnít have this driving force (Raís al Ghul) was the most underused character? I speak of Nable!Ras here, of course, not Malcolm who seems to need to remind people of his now-lost position almost every episode.

Character Development Status:

Felicity: She has certainly grown as a character this season, and I like she is handling things relatively calmly. I found her and Curtisí talk somewhat interesting, in that the showrunners are trying to imply she and Oliver might find their way back to one another. How this is possible when the comparison is Donna and Noah is beyond me, but Iím not in Guggenheimís head (thank goodness).

Curtis: With some of whatís been said in interviews, I canít help but think that Season 5 will see Curtis behind the keyboard for at least part of the Season as Green Arrowís tech person. But I have to wonder why the heck they didnít just get his help during their Palmer Tech heist last week.

Dig: John Diggle is going to darker places since the death of Laurel, and I canít help but think there might be some issues cropping up in Season 5 because of this.

Thea: My distaste for the actions of Willa Holland aside, the character is growing quite a bit as her own being and I hope to see more of this. Also, loved her telling Malcolm sheíd kill him if he drugged her again.

Malcolm: Heís been developing nicely into a more nuanced villain, especially with his personal connections to the Star City protectors. I really hope Guggenheim and his team donít waste this opportunity.

Oliver: He is beginning to once more realize he needs to be more than just a man in the mask, and Iím looking forward to next weekís finale as it will pit him once more against HIVE as both the Green Arrow and Oliver Queen. And can I say how nice it is to see him shooting arrows and kicking butt again?

Um, what was the point of Quentin being there in this episode? I like him, but seriously, what point did he have here?

The flashbacks are interesting as one has to wonder how Oliverís going to get out of his latest pickle due to facing off with two psychos who want the idol for its power.

All in all, this was a superb episode and I frankly have a hard time locating anything wrong with it. Give it a couple more times and I might find something. So for now, it receives a score of 10/10 from me.

I'm thankful to this episode for one reason. If I hadn't made up my mind about dropping this show after season 4 unti today, I have now. Random thoughts:

- I could think of many ways to sum up the Smoak family scenes, but instead of wasting everyone's time, I'll keep it short: CRAP. All you need to know is that the criminal of the family is the only one who doesn't come across as unlikeable, selfish and hypocritical.

- I do have a question about the Smoak women though: Is lying good or bad? Because they give their boyfriends hell when they hide something, yet they are are very quick to forgive each other when they keep secrets. That hypocritical thing I was talking about...

- The Felicity butt kissing was in full swing here: From Diggle's "Felicity has it covered" to Noah congratulating her for stopping Rubicon, even though he played an equal part and in the end Curtis provided the solution. UGH.

- The main worry after last week was that a catastrophic event like the bombing of 10.000 people wouldn't be put in the proper context. And that's more or less what happened here. We hardly hear about the aftermath and the scenes in the Smoak household (which is actually the Queen household, but lets let that slide! ) are acted out as if a cat was run over. That's how much gravity the Havenrock bombing was given. Pathetic.

- Loved the scenes between Oliver (is it still his show?) and Diggle. Reminded me of season 1 when it was just the two of them.

- Thea continues to be the most likeable character on the show.

- The Merlyn thing is beyond a joke right now. Oliver flat out accuses him about Laurel. So what does he do 5 minutes later? He works with Merlyn to evacuate the dome. Giving him another free pass and trusting the lives of all those people in Merlyn's hands. WTF!

- I don't mind Anarky escaping, but it does annoy me how he can fight off Oliver, Diggle and Thea at the same time. Meh.

- Despite Neal's best efforts, I've all but given up on Darhk.

- Until today, I thought the Jim Gordon wig that Clayface wore in Gotham was the lamest production decision we've seen on tv this season. But the Alex body double at the start of this episode takes the cake. His hair was like 3 times longer than Alex's.

- The flashbacks were what they were.

- More of a general observation: What did Laurel die for again?

Was going for a 0/10, but since I liked the scenes with Oliver, Diggle and Thea, it gets a very generous 2/10.
    Last edited by costas22; 05-19-2016 at 02:02 AM.

Posting Pro
    A couple of things before I get to the actual review. First: while I have been decidedly negative about this season, Iíve come to realize this has less to do with the events of the show itself and more because I spend too much time involved in negatively-reinforced back-and-forth debates on two specific forums. This doesnít change my stance on Olicity or my displeasure with Marc Guggenheim, but Iím not going to let those two things bring down my enjoyment of the show any longer.
    You're right about the negativity. I checked a few major discussion forums this morning, and the negativity is so massive that I'm wondering why I should even bother watching this ep! Along with all the incongruities that @costas22 pointed out, it seems as though the Smoaks have taken over completely, and since I don't find an episode centered on Felicity and her Mom and Dad very enticing, I was wondering if I should just skip this ep, like I skipped the previous one. On the other hand, I have promised myself to complete this season, so I guess I'll soldier on and binge-watch the concluding episodes.

Anyway, it's good so see a more positive review from an unbiased poster (by unbiased I mean someone who don't think Felicity Smoak and her family+OTA are the most fabulous/thrilling elements on "Arrow"!), because it means that it might have other qualities that you managed to pick up. I read that Oliver actually shot a few arrows in this ep (yay!), so computer hacking isn't presented as the only way to fight crime. I guess I should be grateful that I know nothing about computer tech or hacking (especially since it has become such a prominent element in the plot), since the hacking is allegedly really horribly done on "Arrow"....at least according to one fan comment that I read recently:

For anyone who knows literally anything about coding or computers it is physically painful to watch Felicity "Hack".
    On the other hand, it might be hard to not to notice all the oddities that have been pointed out, such a Donna living in Thea's loft, yet ANOTHER "secrets and lies" plot (this time presented as a part of the "Smoak Family Drama"), the fact that killing some 20.000 people didn't seem to have much impact on Felicity's emotional well-being and so on. The upside is that if you go into an episode with really low expectations, it might actually strike you as better than expected, and hence leave a positive impression.
    Last edited by evaba; 05-19-2016 at 04:14 AM.

Forum Whiz
    Meh episode.

I still don't understand how Malcolm hasn't died yet.

With the exception of Jimmy Akingbola, the acting in the flashbacks this episode was atrocious.

If that ending was supposed to keep me on the edge of my seat, it massively failed.

Smoak drama = horrific drama.

To be honest, I don't know a thing about hacking either. I just find the image of Noah and Felicity tappity tapping nonstop while exchanging dialogue like "See that?", "Oh", "Yeah" funny more than anything. Plus, at a certain moment you can see EBR's fingers making the same movement over and over. It looks so fake.
    Last edited by costas22; 05-19-2016 at 08:46 AM.

I know these are 2 different things, but I found it funny how Felicity got to mad and angry at Oliver for his lies about William, yet, she was so quickly to forgive her mother for her lie about Noah. Yeah, Noah is a criminal, but this is the inconsistent writing for Felicity that I have taken notice of. This isn't to bash Felicity, but just pointing a small thing out. Also, I didn't like Donna telling Noah to leave at the end. People change and I felt like maybe Noah deserved another chance to be Felicity's father, but Donna pretty much slapped that chance away. I hate Donna's character and she's pretty much of no use on this show.

For anyone who knows literally anything about coding or computers it is physically painful to watch Felicity "Hack".
    Thank. You.

I enjoyed watching three of them typing while the screens in front of them have what basically amounts to a screensaver playing, and how that typing can somehow turn another person's computer into a low yield explosive.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 05-19-2016 at 09:04 AM.

The pluses in this ep.: The focus on the HIVE and Darhk plot. Tons of action. They've raised the stakes already previously with the nuclear bomb and now the world is literally at risk. It was also cool that Anarky and his unpredictability threw a huge wrench in the Genesis scheme. Ruve's death was unexpected and Darhk is now unhinged and unhindered by family obligations. I will fault Ruve for calling Diggle's head contraption a "helmet". That's an insult -- to helmets! I'm hoping one of the casualties of Genesis is Spartan's mask.

As for the minuses, Thea's spontaneously snapping out of HIVE mind control was unbelievable. Considering Andy never snapped out of his HIVE conditioning, Thea suddenly reawakening from it must rank up there with future Carter regaining his memory after a little headache over on LoT. I can't suspend disbelief for either of them.

And the 'Days of Smoak Lives' soap opera subplot? Not that interesting to begin with, everyone of course had secrets 'n lies. Yeah, Felicity and Noah and Curtis helped on the hacking front, but this was more to give a reason for the Smoaks and Noah to dish out the melodramatic suds. In the context of what just happened last episode, the family angst did take me out of the crisis mood of HIVE 'A' plot. It almost seems like those scenes were written before TPTB knew that a nuclear bomb was going to blow up, because no one on Team Arrow including Felicity seems to have registered any real reaction to it.

It's not a question of blame at all -- it was an unwinnable scenario and the team had to make a greater good call. They saved millions of people, but at a tremendous price of tens of thousands. Those deaths are on HIVE, Darhk and Malcolm (he stood to be counted with HIVE, his being Thea's dad does not give him a liability pass) but the weight of those lost lives should still provoke some reaction from all the team. Ollie and Diggle might be able compartmentalize that real tragedy and deal with it after the mission, but this is more assumption or headcanon.

Still, there should have been a reaction, throwaway line ... something that showed that its fallout did hit home. Indirectly, Ollie reassessing during the dome raid whether his vigilantism is offering any hope to his city (cool twist that the dome residents are there by choice!) may play into this but it would seem to be more related to Ollie's on-going identity crisis since S3.

I'm all for injecting humour to keep a story from being too-bleak, a job that Felicity is often called upon to do for the series, but after what just happened last ep. and with an end-of-world scenario at the city's doorstep -- now was not the time to bring up the soap with the family angst. The Smoak family drama was a subplot that could have emerged at any point this season or even happen next season. Planting sudsy seeds for next season, I guess. For TPTB to pick the penultimate ep. of the season to just throw it into the mix just made it seem out-of-context with the real crisis that actually matters this season: how to stop HIVE and Darhk. The flashbacks, even though they've started to become more relevant, also tended to pull me out of the HIVE 'A' plot action.

It was an entertaining ep., I enjoyed the action sequences and it raised the stakes for the S4 finale. Overall, these pluses outweigh the too-quick Thea mind recovery, meh flashbacks and 'Smoaks and the Restless' last-minute S4 melodrama.

7/10
    Last edited by President_Luthor; 05-19-2016 at 03:03 PM.

I thought the ratings were pretty comparable to last week, but I guess there were some adjustments down later in the day (but it does mention they suffered pre-emption in Chicago so that must explain it...):

ratings for this ep: 0.7 in 18-49 demo and 1.94 mil viewers

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-may-18-2016/

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Kent View Post
    I thought the ratings were pretty comparable to last week, but I guess there were some adjustments down later in the day (but it does mention they suffered pre-emption in Chicago so that must explain it...):

ratings for this ep: 0.7 in 18-49 demo and 1.94 mil viewers

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-may-18-2016/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast