No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Rupture?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
    It can be annoying if you're expecting this kick-ass heroine but instead get this weepy cliche that sounds like she walked straight out of a romance novel from 1868. You know, when women were expected to sit around and do nothing but bemoan about love as if Love was the only thing in their entire life worth living for?
    Being weepy isn't what was done. I don't get anything bad from emotional about things, man or woman. I find the term weepy a little demeaning actually, particularly because it's a term usually used for being emotional and too often for my tastes something thrown at women for being emotional. I don't watch a show expecting a side character to be anything, other than their comic character. Why should I expect Barbara Kean to be a kick butt heroine?
    I mean, Look at Kendra. She's supposed to be some kind of warrior goddess who can completely kick ass! And having lived multiple lifetimes you would expect to be more to her, and maybe have a complex background story that would be worth exploring. There's so many avenues for character development there... but no, she's stuck with the reincarnated lovers angst-filled plotline, constantly repeating it over and over....

I mean, Hawkgirl from the Justice league cartoon had WAY MORE character development than this and she only appeared in 9 episodes, if you don't count cameos and brief mentions.
    Hawkgirl was in more than 9 episodes of Justice League. I mean, Star-Crossed alone was 3 episodes. I don't disagree about Hawkgirl. I don't appreciate what they've done and they don't appear to want to use the character as I know them. But I'm more disappointed that they didn't do that, than annoyed at the character. Thank you! Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
      Being weepy isn't what was done. I don't get anything bad from emotional about things, man or woman. I find the term weepy a little demeaning actually, particularly because it's a term usually used for being emotional and too often for my tastes something thrown at women for being emotional.
      It depends. Of course women are allowed to be emotional, to cry. But everything should have its limits. In German we have a saying "Sie/Er ist nah am Wasser gebaut" ("S/he was built near the water"), i.e. that person is overwhelmed by emotions and starts crying for exiguous reasons.

And if a character does that all the time, people get annoyed, sometimes even their actors. For example, Allison Mack complained that her character Chloe was constantly crying in the first two seasons of Smallville. That her entire existance seemed to be to crushing on Clark and getting crushed when he chooses Lana. It got better with season three then.

Lana is a similar case. Just think the end of Whisper. Lana comes to Clark to inform him that she may engage in a relationship with Adam Knight and that's why she pulled away from him earlier. They have a civil conversation about it and then she drives off. And probably because she expected Clark to fight for her, she starts crying in her car. Even Clark looks annoyed when his superhearing picks up on it.

Xena cried every once in a while. So did Veronica Mars. But it wasn't their go-to thing to do. And that's what made them kick-ass.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
        It depends. Of course women are allowed to be emotional, to cry. But everything should have its limits. In German we have a saying "Sie/Er ist nah am Wasser gebaut" ("S/he was built near the water"), i.e. that person is overwhelmed by emotions and starts crying for exiguous reasons.

And if a character does that all the time, people get annoyed, sometimes even their actors. For example, Allison Mack complained that her character Chloe was constantly crying in the first two seasons of Smallville. That her entire existance seemed to be to crushing on Clark and getting crushed when he chooses Lana. It got better with season three then.

Lana is a similar case. Just think the end of Whisper. Lana comes to Clark to inform him that she may engage in a relationship with Adam Knight and that's why she pulled away from him earlier. They have a civil conversation about it and then she drives off. And probably because she expected Clark to fight for her, she starts crying in her car. Even Clark looks annoyed when his superhearing picks up on it.

Xena cried every once in a while. So did Veronica Mars. But it wasn't their go-to thing to do. And that's what made them kick-ass.
        ^^THIS!!

If a character gets stuck doing nothing but repeat certain actions and plotlines in a endless cycle then that just gets old.

Women can cry and stuff without being considered weak. But if it's literally the only thing that they do? Then they really are just a weepy archtype from 1862.

As for Barbara Keen... I remember feeling excited about her character once it was revealed that she was bisexual. I was hoping that they would portray her as this monogamous bisexual who would stand by her man no matter what. Because I was one too and representation is really important to me.

I was just sick and tired of Bisexual people on TV being seen as nothing but promiscuous whores or even refusing to use the bisexual label on themselves. Or worse, having all bisexual people be druggies too because they're apparently nothing but addicts of sex and drugs. but of course Gotham had to disappoint me greatly on that front, by taking the cheap cliche way out with her character. Yet another bisexual addict whose actions don't even make sense!

Comment

Well, the good thing is that, now that Wally has been caught in the blast, we will see him as Kid Flash (or whatever his metahuman name on the show will be). And we will also get a super-powered Jesse Quick most likely.
          Last edited by Mbruno; 05-10-2016, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎