Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Versus Zoom why didn't Barry fight Zoom once he released Wally?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Versus Zoom why didn't Barry fight Zoom once he released Wally?

I mean what is there to lose exactly?? Once he releases Wally why not go all out assault on Zoom? He's as fast as zoom so he has a shot at winning. If he loses he'd most likely lose his speed anyway. why not try that instead of handing your speed on a silver platter?

Without Barry having his speed there's pretty much no chance they'll beat Zoom (until Barry obvs gets his speed back but there's no reason for him to believe that would happen) and everyone dies anyway

I think that's what they call an idiot plot on TV tropes. It's where everyone acts like idiots in order to advance the plot. The writers needed a way for Barry to lose his speed so that they could:
    1) have the drama of Barry struggling to learn how to be normal again
    2)Have a way for Wally West to become a speedster too (my theory for why they did this).
    3)They couldn't stop Zoom so soon, they needed to save that for the season finale.

Comment

My impression was that once Zoom escaped Barry's initial trap, it meant that he was still a little better. Remember that he escaped Barry by simply running away. Barry failed to catch him. So if Barry double crossed Zoom, it likely would have resulted in Zoom killing Wally and everyone else.

This does NOT make it any less stupid for Barry to give up his powers, but it does explain it.

Comment

Barry was holding the idiot ball.

Also they needed to have the season last 5 more episodes so Barry wasn't allowed to beat Zoom.

Comment

Since strike is a relatively young member with 39 posts, let me link to the idiot plot and idiot ball tropes for explanation:

Idiot Plot & Idiot Ball trope.

But beware! TV Tropes will ruin your life!

Comment

ah. I suspected as much. i was worried i missed something!

still pretty annoyed though the flash hasnt been that bad in this regard. they at least try to rationalise their actions and decisions. this one was. totally unbelievable though

Comment

Originally posted by strike101
              ah. I suspected as much. i was worried i missed something!

still pretty annoyed though the flash hasnt been that bad in this regard. they at least try to rationalise their actions and decisions. this one was. totally unbelievable though
              No worries, I asked myself the very same question in the episode discussion.

Comment

Man, that scene really takes the air out of you. You keep wondering why Barry is doing this when Zoom has no actual leverage over him and you can't come up with anything. And the "Barry is a hero and he has to honor his word" excuse doesn't cut it. Because even if that's the case, he should realize that preventing Zoom from becoming more powerful and more unstoppable should be a bigger priority than keeping his word.

The worst part is that they could have had Zoom keep Wally hostage and release him only after Barry gives his powers. It could have worked. It's not like they are worried about Zoom looking like a softie. If that's the case, they wouldn't do the whole "love for Caitlin" nonsense.

Comment

Yeah I agree that it was unbelievable.

I think this is what happened in the writers' room for the Flash:

Writer #1--"Man, we've been on a roll... high five. the story and the characters is flowing together very smoothly. This could be very well our best Season ever!!"

Writer #2--"Yeah, there's just one problem. This Zoom story-line is moving a little too fast, no pun intended. Do you realize that the way things are going, they're going to stop Zoom and put an end to him before the season finale? If my math is correct, there's still three to five eps left over if we go down this current road. And what are we going to do for the season finale then, huh?"

Writer #1-- "........ crap! You're right. We were so focused on writing so well that we didn't think about the number of episodes left. What are we going to do?"

Writer #2--"We have no choice... we have to resort to cheap writing tactics! Such as making the characters act wildly out of character and acting like idiots in order to stretch the plot out! And fill it with pointless melodrama, you know how much the CW executives love that ****."

Writer #1-- "Oh god, the fans are going to hate us for this one."

Writer #2-- "Don't worry. They always forgive us for the bad writing, if we make up for it by offering up good eps later on."

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                    Writer #2-- "Don't worry. They always forgive us for the bad writing, if we make up for it by offering up good eps later on."
                    The fans actually do. But the writers will have to deliver then. That's why I cancelled Arrow. Because they didn't.

Comment

Yeah it's a terrible thing when a writer stops caring about quality writing because he thinks the fans will love anything he throws at them, even his own crap.

Thankfully, I don't think the writers of Flash have arrived at that point yet. They seem to be trying their best right now.

Comment

Yeah it's a terrible thing when a writer stops caring about quality writing because he thinks the fans will love anything he throws at them, even his own crap.
                        That's rarely a reason why a writer wouldn't be invested in the work.

Comment

Yeah, but DJ was talking about Marc Guggenheim. At least I think she was. and from what I've heard from Guggenheim's tweets, etc tends to leave me unimpressed with his attitude. I think that attitude I described up above seems to fit Guggenheim.

Comment

At least I think she was.
                            He.

Comment

sorry. ^^;

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢