No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Myriad?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Myriad?"

What did you think of tonight's Supergirl?
    10 - Could say a myriad of great things
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Myri-bad
    0%

It was a fairly decent ep.

However there was some things that felt "off" to me.
    Laura Vandervoort's appearance is still a disappointment to me, I still think she looks like a mystique knock off. Still think they should had left her blonde instead of putting her in that ridiculous red hairdo... if she was blonde then she wouldn't look like such a x-men knock off.

Alex also should had listened to J'onn and stayed behind with her mother... but I guess we had to have the drama of having sisters fight each other.

Comment

So if kal- el was affected by myriad because of all his time on earth,why wasn't Kara affected? Because she hasn't been on earth for less time? Other than that ,I'm wondering what will happen to the kryptonians at the end of next week- or max lord, for that matter. Will he be back next season?

Comment

Originally posted by protege
        So if kal- el was affected by myriad because of all his time on earth,why wasn't Kara affected?
        Because Clark essentially grew up on Earth, and his brainwaves therefore effectively developed as human rather than as Kryptonian.

Non programmed Myriad to affect human brains, but if he and Astra had been able to implement it on Krypton, it would've been programmed to affect Kryptonian brains.

Comment

That was a very intense and crisp episode without any melodramatic baggage dragging it down.

- The Kara/Cat/Max teamup was pretty intriguing and it showcased what each character is all about. I haven't been a big Cat fan, but this was probably her best episode. That line about Harrison Ford was ace.

- Jimmy and Lucy as drones is definitely the best they've ever looked on this show.

- Having seen the promo for next week, it's nice to know that [SPOILER]J'ohn isn't dead.[/SPOILER]. Nevertheless, Alex demanding to come along is one of those dramatic plot devices which feels forced and you know it will only backfire. J'ohn certainly paid a price for it.

- Nice to see more of Laura Vandervoort as Indigo. Pity we didn't see more of Eve Torres as Maxima.

- So the president is a woman. Which either means that this show's Earth is an alternate one or that it actually takes place in 2017.

Comment

It’s the eleventh hour in National City as Myriad is activated and all those who have called Earth home, including Superman, succumb to the long-term plan that Non and Astra once tried to use on Krypton: mind control. Each of those remaining free must face their own morality and what they are willing to do, what they are willing to sacrifice, in order to free the city from Non’s control. Only Supergirl, who was raised Kryptonian and retains that nature, stands against them naturally, and her only allies for the majority of the episode are none other than Cat Grant and Maxwell Lord, who are protected by an ion technology that Max developed. He sent a cleverly-disguised set of ion devices in the forms of earrings to Cat, while his own ion device is in essence a Bluetooth device.

For Cat Grant, she is confronted with Non’s accusations that she has helped distract the world from its real problems, that she has helped perpetrate humanity’s focus on reality stars, on meaningless drivel that does not drive the world’s population to do anything but tweet, share, and blog about. Cat rallies herself, Max, and Supergirl in the end, hoping to send a message of hope across the same wavelength that Non is using to control the people of National City. Also, gotta love the little comment about Harrison Ford considering that Ms. Flockhart is married to him.

For Maxwell Lord, he is confronted with Non’s accusation that not only has he helped Cat in her own aspects, but has also contributed to humanity’s focus on the next big tech toy and everything else Lord Industries develops for the people of Earth. It is also highlighted that he and Supergirl are, in some ways, very much the same, to which Supergirl replies she hopes not. Now, allow me a brief snarky comment: with the way Berlanti’s productions tend to go, I have a feeling we’re gonna see ‘sexual tension’ between Supergirl and Max, because what’s a Berlanti production without a crappy romantic element. The first season of a Berlanti production tends to avoid this issue, so I guess we’ll see what happens in Season 2. Peter Facinelli has been a favorite actor of mine for a while, and he continues to show his versatility.

For Supergirl, she must struggle with finding a way to save her city when not even her cousin can help. Should she go along with Max’s plan to use a Kryptonite bomb, or should she find another way as Cat so earnestly seeks to convince her? But most importantly for Supergirl’s internal struggle is whether or not what Non is doing is right. Her mother stopped Non and Astra in their previous attempt on Krypton, and in so doing doomed the planet. Now, she must decide if she will emulate her mother or if she will save her new world rather than allow it to suffer the same fate as her homeworld. Melissa Benoist continues to show the depth of her acting skill for those who haven’t seen her before now (I’ve never watched “Glee” and that’s the only thing I knew her to have been a part of thanks to the press about her and Grant Gustin’s history together). From being strong in the face of adversity to the emotional confrontation at the end of the episode which we’ll see the conclusion of in next week’s episode, Melissa captures every aspect of Kara Danvers and her alter ego.

Alex and J’onn returning to National City despite the danger shows who they are deep down, and earns them the title of heroes just as much as Kara’s status as Supergirl and what she does with her powers earns her the title.

Laura Vandervoort is delightfully evil as Indigo, and you can see she’s having fun with the role.

Excellent pacing, and captures the very human story and struggle of making the right choice over the easy one, as well as addresses the fact that we humans like to distract ourselves a little too much with our blogging, our tweeting, our Facebook games, needing to have to newest techno-toy. It poses the question, how far should we go to save our world? Will it take the intervention of another species to do so, or can we do it ourselves? I hope this isn’t brushed aside in Season 2 and sees some serious changes in the way Cat Grant and Maxwell Lord go about things.

I can wholeheartedly give this episode a well-earned score of 10/10.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22

- So the president is a woman. Which either means that this show's Earth is an alternate one or that it actually takes place in 2017.
              The Arrowverse (Arrow, Flash, Legends) takes place in a world similar enough to our own (the pilot for Arrow established things like a black president of the US). Supergirl takes place in a different world.

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
                The Arrowverse (Arrow, Flash, Legends) takes place in a world similar enough to our own (the pilot for Arrow established things like a black president of the US). Supergirl takes place in a different world.
                Would appear that way. I was never certain about Supergirl though. With so many pop culture references it felt like "our" world, so to speak.

Comment

I really enjoyed last night's episode and didn't feel like it was in any way "incomplete", although I was surprised when it ended because things went so fast that, before I realized it, we'd hit the bottom of the hour.

I have to say that I now officially love Peter Facinelli's Maxwell Lord and don't want him to go anywhere next season (even though I know there's a distinct chance that he could be gone since Peter took a lead role in the Pilot for another show). He was a little quick on the trigger for a bit, but eventually came around to Kara's way of thinking, showing that he's not a completely callous bastard. I also loved his snarky flirting with Cat.

While we're on the subject of callous bastards, I thought it was great that General Lane and Kara were able to have a civil conversation, and almost wish we'd seen more of him in the episode.

I don't know why, but I'd somehow gotten it into my head that we were going to get to see Melissa, Helen, and Laura on-screen together at the same time in a single scene, and was sad that we didn't, but it's still a milestone that we got all 3 of them in one episode.

Speaking of both Eliza and Indigo, I loved how Eliza went into full-on scientist mode and was asking J'onn questions about his Martian physiology and exactly how his shape-shifting abilities work, and also really liked the fight between him and Indigo, even though it sucked seeing him get stabbed.

I've seen certain reviews describe the Myriad plan itself as kind of underwhelming, but I personally found it really scary, especially since the people it affected weren't just behaving as a "hive-mind" but could have their bodies and minds taken over directly by Non. It reminded me very much of the Borg from Star Trek, and was therefore really creepy.

I can't wait to see how all of the lingering threads from this episode get resolved next week, so the writers did their job correctly.

10 out of 10 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                    We knew she was a woman since around the midseason.

If Supergirl gets a season 2 Linda Carter will play her.

They couldn't get her for this season.

Comment

To be absolutely technical, we've known that the President is a woman since Red Faced.

Comment

Another pretty good episode, with a significantly lower level of what I'd all soapy CW-ish melodrama (See: last episode). They did a little nod to SG being upset James had become a Myriad drone, but they didn't overplay it.

I used to think Non was over the top as a character, but increasingly I'm buying into it. Love it when he chews the scenery. As the default Kryptonian overlord, I think it's his Rao-given right to play it to the hilt.

Creepiest moment for me was in CatCo with Winn and James parroting Non's mind-speak. Non effectively cut out Kara's support system, forcing her to go along at first with Max's ends-justify-means solution. I do like it when SG (the series) brings up some of the existential questions from time to time re: human responsibility for their world, over-reliance on technology, etc. They don't go too deep into it, but the fact they even bring it up is a plus for me.

(Of course, we all know that Kara won't be serving Non his comeuppance primarily for these reasons. In public, it will be for truth, justice etc. There will be hell to pay for Non's scheme kiss-blocking Kara and James. )

Comment

Personally, loved the ep...and

bwahahahahahahaha! Cat's on the phone telling her contact that she won't go out with an older man like Harrison. Calista IS married to Harrison (Ford). hee hee hee......

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎