0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

1 2.38%
  • 1 - They killed the wrong blonde

27 64.29%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Posting Pro
    One thing I will say: if one pushes aside the fact its Black Canary we're talking about here, the only other character besides Ollie who should've been on the safe list, then technically speaking, this episode did return to a Season 1 level of storytelling, and coincides with the whole "this is a dark reimagining of the Green Arrow mythos".

When I started Arrow, I had no idea about much of the characters. I knew Oliver Queen was Green Arrow, Laurel Lance was Black Canary, and that the name of the Dark Archer was Merlyn. That was it. So for me, my reaction has honestly got less to do with the comics and more to do with how the story took a drastic u-turn at the start of Season 3 and started shoving Felicity down our throats while slowly putting Laurel's storylines on the backburner. If you look at my posts throughout the years, I have always been in the middle on Laurel, even said that it should have been her who died instead of Tommy if they were going to introduce Sara. I slowly began to appreciate Laurel a great deal more in the latter half of Season 3 as her and Thea's arcs were about the only redeemable aspects of the season.

I would never have imagined I would react as I have to the death of Laurel, but I think that speaks to the depth that Katie's acting can connect with the fanbase, even if we don't realize it. Despite being mentally and emotionally prepared thanks to all the spoilers (I was mainly posting, "Well it might actually be this..." mainly for the sake of keeping conversations going), it was still a gut-wrenching moment. I was on the edge of my seat as Darhk held all of Team Arrow still with his magic, threw Speedy and Spartan out of the way, and then in the height of cruel irony, used an arrow meant for him from the GA's quiver to kill the Black Canary.

My review still fits from a neutral perspective, especially if you consider this was meant to be a comics show, and I'll stand by it. But I won't deny this episode was powerful. If it wasn't, I don't think any of us would react as we have. Instead, there'd be one line reviews along the lines of, "Meh, just as we thought. Oh, well, looks like its just Supernatural for me...." or "looks like Wednesdays are free, time to plan some social events....."

New In Town
    Just read this on Facebook: "According to rumours, it seems Felicity will be the next Black Canary. That explains why Curtis joined team arrow as the tech guy. Oliver will be training Felicity."

If this comes true, i'm going to puke all day long.

Gave the episode a 7. It had some real odd editing choices, including that last one that made it seem like Oliver killed Laurel rather than a blood clot. It also was for all the stunts, rather long and dull until Oliver confronted Andy. Andy running around free and even having access to a weapon only highlighted how big a ball was dropped since last we saw him he seemed only to be going over to his brothers apartment for a dinner. Now it seems he actually moved in and was given a pardon?? Very confusing.

What wasn't confusing was who was marked for death in this episode. It was like they had a list and kept checking it off. Gives good advice to Oliver, Dad says he's proud of her as the BC, decides to walk away and return to being a full time lawyer but changes her mind, the picture gets brought up in the past and the present.

Yeah, there seemed no doubt where the episode was going and for the most part, like the first 45 minutes it treated Laurel fairly well. Decent fight scene, good advice, is intuitive when Oliver is hiding something, has a nice scene with her dad (well that one at least is par for the course). Of course everyone was collectively stupid for piecing the idol together rather than scattering it to the seven seas, but can't hold her to blame for that.

But her death was really boring. And while not nearly as disrespectful as Sara's, it still was borderline fridging. She dies because DD wants to punish her father.

It is borderline because she knew the risks and chose to still put on the mask anyway, so at least she retained some agency, but of the team, only Laurel was executed. And that was disappointing. The men on this show get to go out fighting, but Laurel might as well have been on her knees with her hands tired behind her back.

The twist though is she didn't directly die from what DD did, but the complication that arose from her injury. A blood clot she could have been at risk for if she'd broken her ankle. Or had her appendix out. Something mundane. So it made it feel less like she died helplessly at DD's hands. Still a let down. Still technically a heroic death since she dies from something that happened suited up, but it's just something that happened to her rather than a big damn hero moment. (The BDH moment is what I was expecting)

Then the doc says she's going to be fine, she has a nice moment with the team where everyone says they love her except for the glaring silence from Oliver. Earlier out in the hallway Felicity calls Laurel the strongest woman she knows. (I point that out to prove all the praise heaped on Felicity about being strong was really just what people say about people when they are hurt) Then the episode gets really weird.

I cannot for the life of me understand what the Keto and MG were thinking. It was universally agreed by the fans I know that keeping Felicity as far away from Laurel's death was a good thing and they did it. Felicity was only there for moral support. She wasn't in the episode so no one could blame her for doing something to get Laurel killed. (Made for a real dull slog of an episode but the trade off was going to be worth it).

Then for some reason I can't fathom Laurel brings up Olivers relationship and gives him what seems like her blessing - when NO ONE was looking for that. It was totally unnecessary and was just cringeworthy but then they topped the cringeworthy to reveal that Laurel thinks of Oliver as her soulmate - the dude that almost 9 years ago ditched her for her sister and then three years ago left her again after Tommy, the man that I thought was the love of her life, died saving her and yet now she's saying Oliver is the love of her life even though she absolutely knows she's not the love of his.

What the hell? Why would Laurel even say that? Give the woman some GD self respect. At that point she thought she was going to be fine. Even if she didn't see Tommy as the love of her life, she should have been living in expectation of the day she would meet him.

Credit her relationship with Oliver as the most meaningful if you want but the way they set it up, they made it look like she'd been secretly pining for him the last three years. It made Oliver not saying I Love You earlier seem like he knew about her feelings and didn't want to give her false hope.

The thing is, that has not been their relationship for three years. This season actually FINALY established them as friends but instead of playing up the character growth for both of them, they regress and reduced her to spurned love interest.

I guess I should have known when last week she gave the reason why the didn't work out as him getting stuck on an island. Not the little problem of sleeping with her sister.

It's just a shame in an episode that could have sent the character off at a high point, instead Laurel ended as she began, uncomfortably awkward to me as I tried to make sense of the contradictory truth.

The actors did do a good job portraying their grief and I cried a little when Felicity let loose a sob. Still, if they'd let Laurel go out with her last scene given to her dad, I'm sure I would have been bawling. That was where the emotion really shone the brightest.
    Last edited by BkWurm1; 04-07-2016 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 View Post
    People on twitter have been saying Felicity should b the one to end Darkh. Look how hard she took the death and i would not be against it.

Btw why in the description on my DirecTV guide did it say Felicity was telling Curtis something important? Felicity was only in the end of it and Curtis wasnt there at all. What the heck?

The scene between Felicity and Curtis was cut. Probably for time.

You can be sure people are just messing with other people's heads about Felicity becoming BC. That's not going to happen. It would contradict Felicity's characterization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Kent View Post
    Okay why does it not surprise me that the same guy (Guggenheim) who thought, in the pilot, it was perfectly reasonable to expect me to root for Laurel to be with Oliver, even though he had cheated on her with her sister, would also think that I would be touched by the idea that Laurel -- an intelligent, attractive young lady who had quite a lot going for her (she'd dated a nice guy Tommy, had jobs where she wanted to help people, struggled with and overcome substance abuse, made peace with her father and sister, cared enough about her sister's death to want to find a way to channel her anger into something meaningful...) -- so, anyway, I am supposed to be touched by the idea that she would consider her ex-boyfriend (who cheated on her with her sister, who then pretty much spent the next few years not having much to do with her, who fell in love with another woman and who briefly considered throwing her under the bus for a totally unnecessary political reason at a time when he was running unopposed for mayor) to be the love of her life? That she didn't believe or know that she deserved better than someone like that; that we can't have a portrayal of a woman who has accomplished so much, knowing that she is worth so much more than what Oliver ever can or will give her Now THAT'S my idea of misogyny, Uncle Guggles: writing crap like that! It's just not much different than thinking I should root for a woman to get back together with her abusive husband b/c she insists that she loves him
    It's an awful story choice.

Quote Originally Posted by realRhino View Post
    Just read this on Facebook: "According to rumours, it seems Felicity will be the next Black Canary. That explains why Curtis joined team arrow as the tech guy. Oliver will be training Felicity."

If this comes true, i'm going to puke all day long.
    . Again, someone is just messing with fans. MG has already said Felicity will never put on a mask and fight. Don't feed the trolls by passing on their nonsense.
    Last edited by BkWurm1; 04-07-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BkWurm1 View Post

Then the doc says she's going to be fine, she has a nice moment with the team where everyone says they love her except for the glaring silence from Oliver. Earlier out in the hallway Felicity calls Laurel the strongest woman she knows. (I point that out to prove all the praise heaped on Felicity about being strong was really just what people say about people when they are hurt)
    It's similar, but not nearly as hyperbolic as the line Oliver used when Felicity was in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Raissa View Post
    They've lied before. Several times, actually.

The way that scene was edited, there's no way she's dead for good, in my mind. One second, she's absolutely fine, then she starts to say something to Oliver, they cut away, and all of a sudden she's dying. They very clearly want us to think she's dead, and what else would you expect the showrunners to say in an interview about it? I would never expect them to spoil a mystery 30 minutes after it aired. Of course he's going to lie.

Everything about that scene screams "fake out". If Katie Cassidy is leaving the show, I would expect that it's a setup for bringing her back for their eventual series finale, whenever that might be. If Katie Cassidy is staying on, I would expect they did it in story as a way of fooling Damien into thinking she's dead so she can show up later and get the drop on him. If they were really going to kill her and end her forever, I can't believe that's how they would do it.

I honestly think it's just poor editing.

Why would Oliver and Laurel put her father through that? Plus it would mean the medical team was all in on it and Oliver randomly showed up in the hospital not knowing who would treat Laurel. How does that translate into the Doctor faking her death? Why would she agree? And if she had, why not pretend she died in the operation room where it was a controlled environment rather than in a place anyone could walk into?

Plus the show runners both said at the start of the season dead will be dead and they are saying it now. Also KC hasn't been filming on Arrow and she's signed up for Cons that would conflict with filming both this spring AND next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by BkWurm1 View Post
    I honestly think it's just poor editing.
    It wouldn't be poor editing. It would be a creative choice to keep the mystery alive of what they said to each other in those moments. Undoubtedly, there'd be some shocking secret between them that would come out at a later date.

Why would Oliver and Laurel put her father through that?
    This is a superhero show. Why do you think? It's because their secret is more important than telling the truth, and so they can milk everyone's hurt feelings over being kept out of the loop later on for the sake of drama.

Plus it would mean the medical team was all in on it and Oliver randomly showed up in the hospital not knowing who would treat Laurel. How does that translate into the Doctor faking her death? Why would she agree? And if she had, why not pretend she died in the operation room where it was a controlled environment rather than in a place anyone could walk into?
    You're missing plenty of obvious and classic fiction loopholes where the doctors can also be fooled. Off the top of my head, if you're familiar with the show 24, both Jack Bauer and Tony Almeida are declared dead before being brought back to life. Tony tells Jack that he was dead for 12 whole minutes. This would even give Guggy the opportunity to say that they did technically kill her.

Plus the show runners both said at the start of the season dead will be dead and they are saying it now.
    These are the same people who said Harrison Wells wasn't the RF in season 1. And, again, do you expect them to spoil their own show right after the episode airs?

Also KC hasn't been filming on Arrow and she's signed up for Cons that would conflict with filming both this spring AND next fall.
    As I've stated previously, I'm not suggesting that KC is staying on. I'm saying her character isn't forever dead. There's a difference.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 04-07-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Just watched it and I thought it was a great episode until that last 5 minutes. I'm ****ing raging at the fact the writers had The Black Canary on her ****ing deathbed prop up Felicitys insignificance even higher.

I'll watch to see how the Darhk storyline plays out but after that arrow and it's writers and creators etc can go and **** right off.

Settling In
    Well in their defense Harrison Wells wasn't the RF.

Watching the Laurel fans reaction to her unfortunate death last night reminded me of the anger I felt last season when they killed Sara just to solidify Laurel as the Black Canary. The writers have now killed off a major character in each of the shows four seasons. Arrow writers stop the madness, no more pointless deaths.

Having just voiced my righteous anger over foolish deaths, I'm now going to hypocritically step all over my argument by pointing out the intriguing new plot lines the death now provides. The angry, vengeance seeking Oliver is back, and nothing will stop him from avenging Laurel. Diggle will now get the best storylines he's ever had as he deals with the massive betrayal of his brother. John Diggle unleashed on those who hurt his family is the best John Diggle to watch. The upcoming, heartbreaking scenes of Captain Lance dealing with the loss of Laurel, and quite possibly his job will by themselves be worth the price of admission. So, while I'm sick of the over played death card, at least this time we might get some good storylines out of it. Thing is they could have achieved the same thing by just having her badly injured and in a coma for the rest of the season, you know like all the other soap operas do.

Settling In
    I don't think she is dead. This is very similar to what they did with Michael Vaughn (Michael Vartan's character) in season 5 of "Alias." (It is on Netflix and Hulu, check out the first episode of season 5 if you want to see what I'm talking about.)

Vaughn was shot by the "big bad" of the season and nearly died, but made it to the hospital and was stabilized. Then, even though he was stable, he suddenly "dies" for no apparent reason. He is gone for most of the season and the characters all act as if he has died. It is not until nearly the end of the season that we find out Sydney (Jennifer Garner's character) slipped him some "this-will-bring-you-almost-to death-but-really-you-will-still-be-alive" cocktail so that he could be put into hiding until he fully recovered.

The same exact story could be applied here. Laurel asked Oliver to bring her something, we see that he brought her the picture but that was not the only thing in his hand, we didn't really see what else he had. Then Laurel asks him to promise her something. Keep in mind no one else is in the room but them. We don't see what happens that causes her to go into seizures. Laurel asked Oliver not to tell anyone that she was not dead. She will probably continue to track Damien Darhk in secret since he thinks she is dead, so she can stay off the radar. She doesn't want the rest of the team to know because they just saw how easily secrets can get out (Diggle trusted Andy, etc.)

In short - Laurel faked her death with Oliver's help. No one else knows this.
    Last edited by Russkafin; 04-07-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smllvllfn View Post
    Well in their defense Harrison Wells wasn't the RF.
    Yes, he was.

What you're eluding to is the technicality that they used to say "we weren't reeeally lying". It's the same reason Obi-Wan Kenobi can tell Luke that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered Anakin Skywalker and claim to not have lied. It's the same reason a cheating boyfriend can say "I didn't sleep with her" to his suspicious girlfriend, because what he was doing with the other woman wasn't technically "sleep".

In the end, it's a deliberate and conscious attempt to mislead using language that enables them to essentially say anything they want and feel as if they've gotten away with something. But when you're the girlfriend whose been cheated on time and again, you learn to stop listening. That's us. We're the girlfriend to whom they've lied before, over and over again. And I don't believe them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Russkafin View Post
    I don't think she is dead. This is very similar to what they did with Michael Vaughn (Michael Vartan's character) in season 5 of "Alias." (It is in Netflix and Hulu, check out the first episode of season 5 if you want to see what I'm talking about.)

Vaughn was shot by the "big bad" of the season and nearly died, but made it to the hospital and was stabilized. Then, even though he was stable, he suddenly "dies" for no apparent reason. He is gone for most of the season and the characters all act as if he has died. It is not until nearly the end of the season that we find out Sydney (Jennifer Garner's character) slipped him some "this-will-bring-you-almost-to death-but-really-you-will-still-be-alive" cocktail so that he could be put into hiding until he fully recovered.

The same exact story could be applied here. Laurel asked Oliver to bring her something, we see that he brought her the picture but that was not the only thing in his hand, we didn't really see what else he had. Then Laurel asks him to promise her something. Keep in mind no one else is in the room but them. We don't see what happens that causes her to go into seizures. Laurel asked Oliver not to tell anyone that she was not dead. She will probably continue to track Damien Darhk in secret since he thinks she is dead, so she can stay off the radar. She doesn't want the rest of the team to know because they just saw how easily secrets can get out (Diggle trusted Andy, etc.)

In short - Laurel faked her death with Oliver's help. No one else knows this.
    I completely agree.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast