No announcement yet.

No place for Oliver in the DCCU

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No place for Oliver in the DCCU

Just got back from watching Batman V Superman, and TPTB were absolutely right to keep the TV characters separate from this dark, violent version of the multi-verse. Our Ollie and Barry just don't belong with this Supes and Bats.

SPOILER ALERT ..... I'm going to talk about the movie for a bit, so if you haven't seen it stop reading now.

First off the critics are not just wrong, they are fall down, sloppy drunk wrong. The movie was terrific! A bit to long, yeah sure I'll give you that, but I can't think of anything I'd cut. Too ambitious, too much packed into one movie, I didn't think so, I had no trouble following all of the plot threads.

Ben Aflack, sir I owe you an apology, you're hands down the best Batman ever ... ever. Wonder Woman was also very, very good.

I was stunned that in 60 years of reading comics that I didn't put together the connection between Clark and Bruce that the movie makes, in my defense I'm hearing that a lot today.

The spoiler is the two DC stories they based the movie on TDKR and .... the D.O.S., so that kind of tells you how the movie ends.

I caught a sneak preview last Thursday and thought somebody had a remote and was switching channels between Metropolis and Gotham. The editing was terrible, but the story was impressive ground work for the building of the Justice League movie to come. I didn't care for the reveal of Aquaman, but the other character reveals were decent enough. Worth seeing again, but as a HUGE DC fan over Marvel I have to regretfully say that Marvel movies seem to do a better job with entertainment value.

Comment

An interesting take on why the critics hate Batman v Superman

Batman v Superman's box office doesn't match it's Rotten Tomatoes score from critics! A reaction and breakdown today!http://bit.ly/subscribeBTTToday Beyond T...

Comment

I agree. Batman Vs Superman is superb. People tend to forget when it comes to movie adaptions that there is little if anything comic about these stories in the "comic" books. This is the first film to capture the essential grimness of these narratives. As a knowledgeable 3D enthusiast and film maker I knew that the prize seat in the house is in middle of the back row which is where I parked myself. . I have nearly every 3D motion picture made (and all of the essential ones) in my archive. Few film makers understand that 3D has a grammar or its own (or take the time to learn it). The dramatic use of 3D in this film is the best I have seen in a contemporary motion picture. I especially liked seeing a poster for THE MARK OF ZORRO (Tyrone Power not Douglas Fairbanks which is fine by me) on display in the theater the Waynes walked out of prior to their murder. "Wow! Finally!" I said getting ready for the thrill ride I knew would follow. As a 69 year old who fell in love with the Silver Age DC Universe this film lived up to and surpassed everything I looked for. It is the first to do that since the Max Fleischer SUPERMANS and Republic's ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL. The stage has been set for the DC Universe to unfold in an exciting fashion. As someone who has been immortalized in THE MARVEL UNIVERSE and thus, since they have crossed over, can consider himself part of THE DC Universe (http://reghartt.ca/cineforum/?attachment_id=5328) I can state BATMAN VS SUPERMAN presents a dynamic, electrifying take that is the most original I have yet seen. Superhero movies have grown up. It's about time. P.S. Look behind THE PUNISHER on that wall of posters you will see ones for THE REG HARTT FILM FEST. That is the coolest thing ever. This film is Wagnerian in scope and execution.
        Last edited by Reg Hartt; 04-02-2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I saw BvS and while not as terrible as the reviews made it out to be, it was a mess. Weak plot full of holes. Only the minimal spent on characterization for Superman or Lois. So much more was desperately needed to make the ending pay off.

The editing was terrible, the dream sequences too numerous, often incoherent and laughable. (Batman wearing a duster over his bats unit). Speaking of laughable, I giggled four or five times when Batman appeared and that's not a good sign.

Lex has no motivation and is a weak cartoon chaciture by the end and they spoiled the ending of WW so I have no desire to see that movie when it comes out. Plus the pivotal turning point in the movie is so juvenile and weak, it made me think it was left over from some comic fan fiction Snyder did when he was 12 and didn't realize how big a cliches it was. And let's just skip all the plot contrivances.

I saw it. I don't regret seeing it. It had some cinematic value but I have no interest in ever seeing it again AND while it was dim, grey and dark, it didn't connect emotionally making the whole thing pointless.

Wonder Woman was awesome but they already spoiled the ending of her movie in this movie so why bother.

Maybe I'll find a reason by the time it comes out.
          Last edited by BkWurm1; 04-07-2016, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BkWurm1
            I saw BvS and while not as terrible as the reviews made it out to be, it was a mess. Weak plot full of holes. Only the minimal spent on characterization for Superman or Lois. So much more was desperately needed to make the ending pay off.

The editing was terrible, the dream sequences too numerous, often incoherent and laughable. (Batman wearing a duster over his bats unit). Speaking of laughable, I giggled four or five times when Batman appeared and that's not a good sign.

Lex has no motivation and is a weak cartoon chaciture by the end and they spoiled the ending of WW so I have no desire to see that movie when it comes out. Plus the pivotal turning point in the movie is so juvenile and weak, it made me think it was left over from some comic fan fiction Snyder did when he was 12 and didn't realize how big a cliches it was. And let's just skip all the plot contrivances.

I saw it. I don't regret seeing it. It had some cinematic value but I have no interest in ever seeing it again AND while it was dim, grey and dark, it didn't connect emotionally making the whole thing pointless.

Wonder Woman was awesome but they already spoiled the ending of her movie in this movie so why bother.

Maybe I'll find a reason by the time it comes out.
            Fairly spot on critique, especially regarding the editing, though if you know the Luthor plot you will realize there is plenty of motivation. In fact, it was one of the redeeming aspects of the movie. Remember, one of the main purposes of this project was to lay the groundwork for the Justice League movie. To that end, they did a decent job. You might have to watch it again to catch how they are stitching it together.

Comment

I kinda feel like Oliver would fit right in, to be honest. He's brooding, hyper-dramatic, and constantly jumping into confrontations without thinking. Works. It would take an adjustment, mostly due to the production value of the television show and the class of actors, but it could be done. Amy Adams went from being a freak of the week on Smallville to a pretty convincing Lois Lane.

Grant Gustin's Flash and crew probably wouldn't fit in as well. His universe is more playful. I can't see Affleck's Batman tolerating Cisco.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎