0 0%
  • 1 - It breaks my heart how bad Arrow has gotten

6 31.58%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Broken Hearts?"

What did you think?

Posting Pro
    As tonight’s episode ended, the main thought in my head was, “What did I just watch?” There was no extreme melodrama. No flaky writing. No heavy-handed praising of one character or another. None of the things that have made a lot of Season 3 and Season 4 hard to watch. This was Arrow, back with a vengeance.

I will admit I was fully prepared to score this episode low simply because of how its been promoted and how the episodes prior to it with regards to the Oliver/Felicity relationship have played out.

Let’s start with the big thing with regards to this episode, the thing I thought would take a very far back burner: the Trial of the Century for Star City. Damien Darhk is the very first of the super-villains Oliver Queen/Green Arrow has faced in the past four years to be arrested and put on trial for his actions. Malcolm Merlyn is believed dead by the world; Slade Wilson is rotting in a cell on Lian Yu, a secret prison run by black-ops organization ARGUS; and Ra’s al Ghul was killed by Oliver Queen (unless he pulled a Merlyn). So this was big for me, to see them not only doing this, but giving the trial, or at least the preliminary hearing for it, it’s due. It is no secret that Laurel Lance/Black Canary has been marginalized quite a bit since the early seasons, in large part because it seems the writers of Arrow are never sure where to take the character. But she has finally been given a chance to shine in her job as an Assistant District Attorney (which, until she mentioned still having a boss over her, I thought she had been promoted), which is great as the first half of the season gave her a chance to shine as Black Canary.

The secondary plot of the episode was two-fold: Cupid is back and now killing couples on their wedding nights (or soon after), in part because as far as she’s concerned, both men she has loved (read: obsessed over uncontrollably) in her life have died: Deadshot and the Arrow. Oliver and Felicity, who are in fact dealing with their break-up maturely (I nearly died of shock at this, a mature break-up on the CW!?) are trying to find a way to work together. The team has also discovered that they are no longer a couple, and that has certainly sent shockwaves through the team. Interestingly enough, while John Diggle still provided his sage advice, he also had an actual criticism for Felicity and her tendency to bring the ‘outside problems’ into the field over comms. I was absolutely shocked, as no one aside from Sara Lance has made any comment about this all season. Both Thea and Dig later backing up Oliver was a very different maneuver from what we’ve seen in the past on this show.

This episode focused as much on platonic and familial relationships as it did on the remnants of Olicity as it was. Laurel and her father, Quentin, have had so many wonderful heart-to-heart talks this season and this episode contained more as Quentin strived to convince his daughter to put him on the stand. This was so reminiscent of the Quentin Lance who stood in the bullpen of his precinct and boldly told Lieutenant Franklin Pike that he knew he was throwing away his career by telling him he was working with the Hood in the Season 1 finale if it meant saving lives that I flashbacked to that time. Laurel’s own struggle, not wanting to lose her father but also finding there is no alternative if she wants to bring Darhk up on charges, was performed wonderfully by Katie Cassidy, which is why I continue to hope that the current rumors, including from well-known paparazzi Canadagraphs, that Laurel may be the one in the grave turn out to be untrue.

When we reached the actual wedding sequence, I mentally prepared myself for a return to melodramatic nonsense. But I didn’t need to; Oliver’s vows showed the depth of the character and his feelings for Felicity, even though it is still difficult, looking back, to really find those points. I honestly half-expected some mention of Felicity’s brief cameo in the Season 3 flashbacks, but there was none. Then, of course, Cupid arrived and delivered her monologue and that was when one of the surprising elements of the episode occurred. Emily Bett Rickards has, in the past, seemed to struggle with more dramatic scenes, often coming across in the worst possible way. A particularly memorable point with this is in 3x12, “Uprising”, where she asks how Merlyn is once more in the Arrow Cave under Verdant, but the way it was delivered was simply not convincing.

Not so with this delivery. For once, I actually saw Emily Bett Rickards channel Suzanne Thompson’s Moira Queen into her Felicity Smoak character as she spoke to Cupid and got her to stand down from detonating the explosives. The fight with Cupid herself was quick, and the character has survived to come back in another season (hopefully).

Oliver and Felicity’s final conversation in the new Lair was something unexpected as they had a final conversation about this, and Felicity clearly ended things between them. She then did something surprising; she acknowledged Oliver’s computer skills from before she joined the team. The show has all but ignored that Oliver had these skills prior to Felicity joining the team and, indeed, has had some poor dialogue choices such as “Felicity wrote a program that, as she put it, even an idiot can run,” with regards to the tracking nanites in 3x04, “The Magician”. Felicity also acknowledging that a part of Oliver will always be the man who came back from the Island alone to fight alone was a nice touch.

The final scene of the episode threw me for a loop. Damien Darhk smiling about being in jail? Something is way, way off. However, I get the feeling he’s going to get a rude awakening in the next episode that’s going to wipe that smirk off his face. Sadly, it’ll probably be coming in the form of another smirking super-villain, namely Malcolm Merlyn/The Dark Archer.

As far as the flashbacks are concerned: they were interesting, but honestly, I am not as invested in them as I was when the show first started, seeing as Oliver in that time is still more like his current self or even his Season 3 self; in other words, he has not yet become the man who will be rescued off the Island in 1x01.

All in all, an excellent episode with all the main characters being rounded out. This time Dig and Thea took a backseat, so to speak, but still had roles to play rather than just standing around looking serious or chipper.

The only detraction I can think of aside from my lack of interest in the flashbacks is the fact they’ve actually canonized the pairing name of Olicity. Oh, well. That doesn’t change the fact that this felt like an episode from the first couple of seasons and had all the characters acting maturely. As a result, this episode received an actual 10/10 score from me.

New In Town
    I actually enjoyed it, i was dreading it to be honest dont like it when my fav couples split. But Felicity and Oliver do need a break i belive all will turn out well in the end..

"Real love is not based upon Romance,candle light dinner and a walk along the beach. In fact its based on care,compromise,respect and most of all trust"

Madman With A Blue Box Austin 3:16's Avatar
    Wanda I'm the same way about couples I like. When they split on shows it breaks my heart to see my favorite people on a series in pain. I have faith though they will be back together again sooner rather than later though.

Best line of the night for me was when Speedy goes "She's Cupid stupid". I'm sorry but I laughed when she said it and just got a kick out of that.

Btw, is Cisco from Flash changing Diggle's helmet? I could swear he said he was going to help him with something better but don't remember anything being introduced. Plus the back of Diggle's head is exposed. That cannot be very safe, especially in a fight with numerous bad guys.

There has to be something to Darkh's ring. It could be his wedding ring for all I know but remembering his background with magic this season, it leads me to think its enchanted in some way. They wouldn't have put such a focus on him putting it on unless something there's something more to it.

Also when Quentin had to give up his weapon and badge, did anyone else think the guy was going to shoot him or stab him? They did a good job of showing him handing over his weapon so I thought maybe it was going to be used on him. Either that or else they'd try to shoot Laurel and he'd spin around while hugging her to take the bullet. Anyone else think that was coming?
    Last edited by Austin 3:16; 03-24-2016 at 12:02 AM.

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    See, aside from the Darhk stuff which was pretty interesting (especially in light of my watching the FX series about OJ Simpson), I kinda ... really didn't like this one. I started to get sleepy.

I like Amy Gumenick but Cupid was way over the top, and I want Felicity to be happy not dramatic. Olicity is fine when they're happy. When they're apart for contrived reasons it's just... ugh. Want the show to be about vigilante action, not soap opera.

And the flashbacks put me to sleep, no matter what visual effects are within.

Thank you for you through review, JDBentz, will watch the episode then.

Cupid survived. Yay! And I'm actually "glad" that she reached a new stage of madness because she is convinced that both the Arrow and Deadshot - loves of her life - died. That's logical way to take the character.

I wonder how did he escaped from ARGUS and get rid of that explosive chip. Did Lyla explain or it will turn out to be another of Amanda Waller's messes to clean up? ;p
    Last edited by Amarice; 03-24-2016 at 02:35 AM.

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarice View Post
    Thank you for you through review, JDBentz, will watch the episode then.
    I've seen this episode completely trashed everywhere else (reddit, IGN, imdb, twitter), so I was surprised to see JD's positive review. I guess if you take it for what it is (i.e. yet another ep which highlights "The Couple"), and savors the Laurel/Quentin moments, it might not be as unbearable as I feared. In general the Cupid episodes have been the ones that I have enjoyed the least/despised the most, so I'm still a bit sceptical TBH.

Never felt so numb after watching a tv show. They just drag you down with all the Olicity nonsense and then beat you over the head with it. It's hard to even feel angry or jaded anymore. What a piss poor way to return after a 4 week hiatus.

- The Olicity drama was front and center in this episode. And in that sense, this episode was a complete waste of time, because this relationship (as well as Felicity's Arrowcave exploits) is nowhere near being finished. And no one buys that anymore. It's just like Felicity becoming paralyzed: You can't get viewers invested in all this drama when you repeatedly make it clear that everything is fixable. Also, I don't appreciate how Oliver is constantly on the defensive in this situation, while Felicity has a free pass to act snotty and entitled without anyone calling her on it.

- Cupid was a bit better than her previous 2 episodes, which doesn't say much.

- The court scenes were easily the only good thing in this episode. Both Lances shone in their own way, but I thought Quentin in particular was great this week.

- Thea was a guilty pleasure this week with her witty remarks. Who would ever imagine she would be one of the few joys on the show 2-3 years ago?

- Diggle on the other hand was back in full Olicity fanboy mode this week. Oh and he got owned by Cupid in battle. Brilliant episode for him.

- As usual, the flashbacks failed to keep me particularly interes... *zzzzzz*

4/10.
    Last edited by costas22; 03-24-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Holy crap, this was one of the worst episodes ever. Is this even a comic book show anymore? It's like a cheesy romance show.
    Only good part was the courtroom scenes.

And people who are giving this ep a 10/10...wat?

This episode is getting trashed BADLY, everywhere. Reddit, ign, comic sites comments. Even TVFanatic is saying they don't want to cover arrow anymore.

Carissa Pavlica on Twitter: "You know it's bad when people on your team are giving up not covering #Arrow but just watching, so they won't even round table. @CW_Arrow"

Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post
    I've seen this episode completely trashed everywhere else (reddit, IGN, imdb, twitter), so I was surprised to see JD's positive review. I guess if you take it for what it is (i.e. yet another ep which highlights "The Couple"), and savors the Laurel/Quentin moments, it might not be as unbearable as I feared. In general the Cupid episodes have been the ones that I have enjoyed the least/despised the most, so I'm still a bit sceptical TBH.
    Now I'm really curious how it turned out. I didn't like too much 3x07 "Draw Back Your Bow" when I've seen it first time, but over time I started to appreciate Amy Gumenick's performance and the concept of the character. Maybe it's because I read a little about PTSD and mental disorders lately. It's easy to see in Cupid only a crazy girl [we are on open forum, so I won't call it more literally] & Harley Queen rip off. IMO she represents women who hook up on serial killers (only it's brought to an extreme), shows that in fact human's mind can be one's worst enemy and how horrible the mental illness truly is. And also what the Arrow involuntarily triggered (other vigilantes appearing on the scene, Cupid's doings are similar to what the Hoods were doing, only with a different agenda). All we can see on screen is not the Carrie she once was. She is gone. Those are mental illness symptoms and it's impossible to tell how she once was.

But she used to be a cop. Maybe she joined the force because she wanted to help others? (headcanon alert here) Maybe there was some good in her? What exactly happened with her fiancé? (speculation alert here) Of course the most easy is to assume that he turned her down and she murdered him in anger (that would be predictable & boring IMO, so I personally would come up with something else < abusive relationship perhaps, to stay in line with the comic origin).

(okay, I will stop here, since I'm moving here into fan fiction area)

In 3x17 Cupid didn't really had a significant part. That episode was awful not because of Suicide Squad plot (not the best IMO, and the decision of killing off Deadshot because of the movies was stupid) but that horrible love triangle and Atom subplot. x_x The only thing I liked in Ray's and Oliver's duel was how quickly the Arrow took him down, finding a weak point in his armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 View Post
    There has to be something to Darkh's ring. It could be his wedding ring for all I know but remembering his background with magic this season, it leads me to think its enchanted in some way. They wouldn't have put such a focus on him putting it on unless something there's something more to it.
    This is from a recent interview...

Jones: How did team Arrow decide to utilize the excellent Neal McDonough as the big bad of Arrow season four?

Guggenheim: Me, Wendy Mirecle, and Greg Berlanti wanted to cast McDonough last year but it didn’t work out for a variety of reasons. McDonough said that he wanted to bring “a little more Gene Hackman Lex Luthor” into this character. I’m like “oh, great…I mean sure!” We really pushed that more than we originally intended, but I’m more than happy as it really made the character so much fun to watch. Even with things like Neal’s wedding ring that Darhk wears on the show, Neal asked early on: “can Darhk wear my wedding ring?” We were like sure — and that got us thinking, so Darhk is married? Who is he married to? It has been a wonderful collaboration with Neal over the year.
    http://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-...ll-conspiracy/

What's also cool is Ruve Darhk is named after Neal M's real-life wife.

Also when Quentin had to give up his weapon and badge, did anyone else think the guy was going to shoot him or stab him? They did a good job of showing him handing over his weapon so I thought maybe it was going to be used on him. Either that or else they'd try to shoot Laurel and he'd spin around while hugging her to take the bullet. Anyone else think that was coming?
    Yes. I actually thought that was coming.

The only Olicity scene I liked was the final one where Felicity called out his island defaults. Other than that, I only liked the court stuff and the Lance scenes.

New In Town
    Wow, this has to be the worst episode so far.
    After the last few episodes, which imo. had just begun to be better again, this one is a real bummer.

The only fun parts were actually Thea's jokes and remarks about Cupid and the random couples that nobody recognized.
    The next one looks more promising (at least the promo is cut really well, reminds me of the Clock King promo back in season 2)

But one thing is becoming more and more evident. Felicity has to go, at least for a while. And while we are at it a few of the remaining Team Arrow members should go as well.
    It's okay for them to join the action every other episode, but not everybody has to be part of every mission. And if they are, at least split them up, otherwise something like Cupid besting the whole Team Arrow is constantly happening.

Also I hate the route they are going with Oliver. I will not lie anymore bla bla.
    Sorry but Oliver most of the times did have good reasons to keep secrets, because everyone else on the show is as stupid a bread, when it comes to sharing information to the wrong guys or acting without thinking properly.

I really hope after what happens this season, at the start of season 5 it's just Oliver and Thea or him and Roy or or there's a major falling out and Oliver is working alone with the rest stepping down from Vigilante business, at least for a little while. Like someone said, I watch Arrow for Vigilante action and not for soap opera, love drama. If I compare this episode with any episode from Season 1 to the mid season finale of season 3, it really pains me of what has become of this show, which has been my favorite show for quite some time.

Forum Whiz
    Besides the court scenes, that was one of the most badly written and badly acted episodes of Arrow ever.

If Laurel is about to die, the episode was about as subtle as a brick.

Let's Write!
    I just... Couldn't really enjoy the episode all that much. Mostly cause of how Felicity was acting. I'm glad there was a call back to Oliver's tech skills that obviously went out the window when Felicity came around. And like others, I was starting to think Pike was gonna openly shoot Quentin in that hallway.

JDBentz made this episode sound interesting yet by the sounds of things from others I'd say I'm happy not having watched the episode.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast