0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Too slow
    0%

A fairly solid ep overall.

It kind of felt like it was a PSA about drug use without it getting too preachy. Wasn't a big fan of the Boss thinking that Iris was taking him out on a date, etc.... that was completely awkward.

But it didn't detract from the story overall, as seeing there was some decent character development and it was also a good way for them to find out about Jay.

Comment

Complete bore for me, executed poorly from start to finish. Probably a bottom 3 for me this season.

Comment

“The Flash” is currently the CW’s top earner as far as its DC TV universe is concerned, and tonight’s episode once again proved why that’s the case. A big part of this is that while Barry remains the sole hero on the team in terms of putting on a costume, every single member of his team has shown their chops in heroism. Whether its through being the contact on the police force, continual loss of loved ones, working the science angles, or defending Barry’s reputation to a recalcitrant editor with an ax to grind, each member of his team continues to play a balanced role.

Tonight’s episode opened with Barry once more testing himself, seeking to get faster and become more powerful, powerful enough to stop Zoom.

“I have to try.” Considering how often this line has been used by Barry and so many others in her life, the question has to be raised: how many more times can Dr. Caitlin Snow hear this line from someone she cares about before she permanently shuts herself off, perhaps even seeks to find a way to slow speedsters who break the law and in doing so, becomes Killer Frost? Everything she has lost is due to speedsters who’ve been on the wrong side of the law: she lost Ronnie for so long due to his status as Firestorm, a status conferred on him in the explosion that changed the world. Then when she finally gets him back, she loses him completely when the death of Eobard Thawne re-opens the singularity and Firestorm separates in the eye of the singularity. In Season 2, she begins to feel something for Jay Garrick, only to lose him once more and now, discovers the horrible truth.

The dynamic between Harrison Wells and his daughter Jessie continues to be a bit of a struggle for the two as Jessie, now confirmed to be between the ages of 18 and 20 years old from the off-hand comment of “None for you, Ms. Underage,” heads out into the world of Earth-1 to discover what it is like and to discover herself anew in this world that is now hers. Whether we’ll ever see her become Jessie Quick is up to the showrunners, but they opened the door tonight with the Velocity 9 injection Jessie received.

Harrison Wells himself found redemption of his own when he took Barry aside and spoke to him about not using the Velocity-9, a far cry from the Harrison Wells we met earlier this season who wanted nothing more than to use the Velocity series of drugs to enhance Barry’s speed so he could stop Zoom. Wells’ admonishment to Barry to not become like him will perhaps have a stronger effect on Barry than any admonishment given by either Joe or Oliver Queen, the latter of which has told Barry in the past that he can be better than he is.

Grant Gustin perfectly delivered his performance near the end of the episode as he made an emotional speech to Trajectory, and then came to a horrifying realization about the Velocity-9 and its affect on the Speed Force. His rage at this latest betrayal can only be matched by what one can assume is his deep shame at once more being fooled (as unlike the viewers, he is unaware that Jay Garrick is in fact dead and Zoom is none other than Hunter Zolomon, though whether he comes from another Earth or Earth-1 is the real question). In fact, this likely extends to everyone on Team Flash, as even Wells seems to have had a grudging respect for Jay.

The emotional beats in this episode were profound and hit where they needed to. The action sequences were well done, as was Iris’ work to convince her new editor that he was wrong about The Flash.

Finally, the Velocity-9 creating the alter ego of Trajectory for Eliza Harmon, which pushed her to continually get her fix, confirms to me that in many ways, Zoom is a Speed Addict, and like any drug addict, he will do whatever it takes to get his fix. Or in this case, a cure, as it appears an infusion of untainted Speed Force is precisely what he is after.

This episode ranks a 9/10 on my scale.

Comment

It was just an okay episode, nothing too special. It felt like a smattering of character moments and plot advancements amid a whole lot of filler.

While we can understand why Barry wanted to find any means to beat Zoom, up to and including short-cuts and "cheating", it also portrayed him in a less-than-stellar light ... esp. that he would so easily discard his principles just because he's had a bad run lately in trying to improve his speed. They didn't sell that character shift in him all that well.

If you replaced all the Velocity 9 talk with the phrase "performance-enhancing drugs" instead, it really did come off as a rather weak argument from Barry and Wells rightly called him out on it -- even though Wells' own situation with Jessie made it more like the pot calling the kettle black.

Of course Barry wasn't ultimately going to pick the easy route and the Trajectory subplot showed why he shouldn't -- but yeah, one would think Barry would have held his temptation to use the speed drug in check once he heard about how it affected Jay. It made Barry look like his principles can be more easily swayed whenever he's under some pressure, which seems a bit OOC to me.

The Wells - Jessie subplot was probably the best one of the bunch in this ep. That was done well in comparison to the rest of the ep. and I'm glad Jessie's exit is an exile and not death.

What wasn't done well: that nonsense with Iris and her editor with the coffee "A date -- or not?" mix-up. Again with the uncalled-for stage setting with the shipping. I'm no longer surprised when stuff like this pops up in any of these shows. It's almost as 'where-did-this-come-from?' as the Ray/Kendra situation over on LOT, or the Thea-Alex thing earlier this season on Arrow.

I guess they want to show that Iris is going to have a life beyond that of a Team Flash peripheral member. I'd like to think they could accomplish that without planting Iris into another potential ship, but that would mean less melodrama.

Add to this Barry and Iris' club chat earlier about what-ifs between them etc. and -- you guessed it -- we've got a brewing love triangle on-deck. I think it's safe to say that The Flash has lost its claim to an immunity idol re: all things shipping, 'cause it appears they're at it again.

The Flash running at the end just so he can cry out to the heavens -- a bit too melodramatic for me, but I'm crossing my fingers that it's meant to express his realization after Cisco's Zoom reveal that the inevitable temporal blowback from his time-jumping has now come home to roost.

(Which may also explain -I'm speculating here- Barry's appearance in that Arrow flash-forward grave scene, if we assume he feels some remorse over his time-jumping having even an indirect effect on putting whoever is in the grave?)

Comment

I noticed one thing in this episode, that might be a continuity gaffe by the writers. Wells took a sample of Speed Force from Barry earlier this year, and gave it to Zoom who injected himself with it. The villain then demanded more...which leads me to think the only cure for his sickness would be taking all of Barry's power. Of course, they still haven't explained why it wouldn't eventually wear off again for Zoom, unless Barry's power repeatedly healed his damaged cells...but that's quite a leap.

Comment

Not as good as I hoped it would be. Certainly not on par with the Earth 2/King Shark episodes. And it's not just that it was a "filler" episode. We could also classify Fast Lane as a "filler" episode, but it was much better. Besides, in a 23-episode season not every episode will feature significant storyline advancement. But that shouldnt make them less entertaining. From what I've seen, this was the first time these writers have ever written a Flash episode. And it was clearly evident.

- Trajectory was a fun character, I thought. The actress did very well with what she was given. I just wish they didn't kill her off so soon, because I'd have liked to have seen more of her.

- The side effect of introducing Trajectory and establishing her as a great speedster was that Barry took a back seat for most of the episode. I've mentioned this in Arrow reviews, but I don't like seeing the hero get overmatched on a regular basis. The only positive was that by the end of the episode Barry built enough speed to make the jump. Which was a step forward for him, but after he took a couple of steps back this week. On another note, I thought Barry's characterization was a bit off this week. At this point, he doesn't need Wells or anyone else telling him why he shouldn't take Velocity 9.

- The final scene was probably the highlight of the episode, with some terrific acting from everyone involved. Especially Carlos and Grant. I still maintain that the "Jay Garrick" who worked with the team this season is not Zoom. Because despite what Barry said, Zoom couldn't be trapped under Killer Frost's ice on Earth 2 while he was also working on the speed cannon on Earth 1. Some things should be beyond the abilities of even a speedster. Anyway, I expect more twists and turns in this story, whether it's Zoom and Jay being twins or Zoom being E2 Hunter Zolomon and Jay being E1 Hunter Zolomon.

- The storyline about Iris and her editor was meh. It was easy to suspect where it was headed and IMO it adds nothing to the show. When people were saying that Iris needs a storyline, they didn't mean a love interest. The Flash might want to avoid the mistakes Arrow made with Lauliver. You can only keep Barry and Iris separate and dating other people for so long before fans actually stop caring about seeing Barry and Iris together. If they haven't already...

- The Jesse stuff was fascinating, but in a negative way. They actually managed to make someone who's been very likeable until this point instantly unappealing. Clearly she shouldn't be thrilled about her father killing a man, but the way she reacted after he gave his blood to save her was ungrateful and over the top. And that was followed by her exiting the show in Henry Allen-esque fashion: "You spent all this time trying to reunite with me and it was fun for a couple of days. Now see ya, bye!".

- Wally was in this episode long enough for any human being to stomach him.

- I was disappointed that there was no apparent set up for the Supergirl crossover. I guess it's best to treat that episode as a Barry dream that's completely unrelated to what's happening on the Flash series. I doubt Zoom will even be mentioned in "Worlds Finest".

7/10. The preview for next week looks very promising! Pied Piper, Tom Cavanagh's Eobard and [SPOILER]Black Flash![/SPOILER]
              Last edited by costas22; 03-23-2016, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Jessie is not getting to far from Wells. Caitlin after all had a tracker in her Velocity 9.

Comment

Thought it was a great ep. Could definitely see Jesse and Wally connecting at least a little. I did love Barry and Team Flash testing his limits. Reminded me of the pilot when he was running at the airstrip.

The only thing i was disappointed in was that they didnt have Barry crossing over into Supergirl's world. They wouldn't have had to show her but at least have him arrive, see a National City billboard, and then say "Where the heck am I?!?" I dont get y they didnt do that since we have the crossover next wk u know?

Comment

An article I read about the crossover said the timeline is a bit off so Barry won't be doing THAT until the April 5th episode of "The Flash", and so he will have a "brief absence" in that episode before reappearing.

Comment

That makes sense ty JDBentz. I was like wait why didnt they do anything?

Comment

This episode's ratings were by far the worst in the show's history (1.1 demo and 3 million viewers). The hiatus and the Supergirl crossover hype did a real number on Trajectory. You would be forgiven if you forgot a new episode was on this week...

Originally posted by JDBentz
                        An article I read about the crossover said the timeline is a bit off so Barry won't be doing THAT until the April 5th episode of "The Flash", and so he will have a "brief absence" in that episode before reappearing.
                        As disappointed as I was, I didn't expect them to get the continuity between the shows correct. It's obvious the crossover was decided fairly late in the game. Last season was the same. Oliver's appearance at the penultimate epi of the Flash didn't fully correlate to what he was doing on Arrow that week.

Just a correction. From what I see, there won't be a Flash episode on April 5th. After next week's epi, they're going on ANOTHER hiatus.
                        Last edited by costas22; 03-23-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22

Just a correction. From what I see, there won't be a Flash episode on April 5th. After next week's epi, they're going on ANOTHER hiatus.

Dang, you are right. They are showing the King Shark episode on the 5th. That sucks but at least it's only a one week break and not like a month.

Comment

Originally posted by pside15
                            Dang, you are right. They are showing the King Shark episode on the 5th. That sucks but at least it's only a one week break and not like a month.
                            It's 2 weeks actually. iZombie has a 2 hour season finale on April 12th so the new Flash episode will air on April 19th.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎