0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - I thought Afterschool Specials were on after school
    0%

I thought it was middle of the road.... not super good, but not horrible at all.

I guess It's because I'm getting kind of burnt out by the 50's nostalgia that seems to be everywhere now. The themes of 50's era is nearly in everything, and now I'm kinda sick of it? and I'm also getting sick of Savage's crush on Kendra. The Ray/Kendra ship also does nothing for me.

At least they pointed out that there was plenty of bad things about the 50's instead of just looking back at that time with pink-tinted nostalgia glasses. The highlights of the show were the scenes with Sara Lance.

Comment

Putting aside the fact that interracial marriage wasn't legal in the real world US until 1967 (Googled it to refresh my memory}, It was a solid, if not spectacular, episode. I did enjoy Sara and the retro aesthetic of the Not!Hawk creatures. Plus, trying to make an army was a very Savage thing to attempt. I have a feeling we may look on things differently once we see the back half of the story on the 31st, though.

Comment

I debated on whether or not to give this one a 10 since I am not a big fan of the whole '50s nostalgia' thing. I see stuff like that coming from supporters of a certain political candidate whom I despise so it leaves bad taste in my mouth.

However, this episode accurately depicts the attitudes of people in the 50s to certain things, not only telling us with Jax and Sara but also showing it. For that, I'll ignore the bad taste. I will say they obviously had to be delicate with certain scenes and couldn't go full-bore what might have happened. For example, when Jax was initially confronted when talking with Betty, I was like, "Are they actually going to use the N word?" I didn't think they would, and they didn't. But the attitude towards both Jax and Kendra, and the nervousness of the nurse that Sara helps accept herself, was done very well.

Savage is trying to create an army. How... unsurprising. The man has a two track mind: world domination, and get under Kendra's skirt.

Ray/Kendra was handled decently.

The attack on the Waverider and Snart's comment of "This guy again!" was great.

Hmm... they're purposely leaving what happened with Mick vague. My guess is they just left him behind, but Snart implied he was dead.

Comment

This Ep also brings this skit I watched online a while ago to my mind when I was watching it:

White straight guys: "Golly, the 50's sure was swell. I want the 50's back! Don't you guys agree with me?"
          Women: "Deal with sexism everyday? no thanks."
          Black people: "Nah. I don't need to explain why I don't want the 50's back, do I? I mean, everyone knows about segregation, etc...right?"
          People with disabilities: "No! I'm not keen on getting sterilized against my will and having my marriage be illegal just because bigots don't think that handicapped people should breed or be married."
          Japanese people: "Experience the prison camps in America again? Ehhh... no."
          Gay people: "We get murdered and arrested on a regular basis back then or be put into asylums, just for being gay. Guess what my answer is going to be..."

White Guys: "Come on, you're only looking at the negatives of history... what about the good things? The fashions were awesome, right??"
          Everyone: "It's alright to want a 50's fashion revival. just don't want everything else back, okay?? knock off that **** please."
          White guys: "Alright, alright... jeez! You guys are too touchy."

Comment

Overall I gave it probably an 8.5-9/10.

While I am slowly getting sick of the 50's-70's era (I'd love to see them go back to more ancient times) I thought that this episode was the best in the sense in how they depicted the problem's with that era. I was expecting them to very much gloss over the illegality of interracial marriage, homosexuality and the treatment of African American's but they managed to show it all without being condescending in anyway. They showed the problem's the way they were and then had talk's among the crew that essentially just looked down upon how it was which is how it should be. It reminded me of the disclosure/message the old Disney cartoon's now have on them which basically apologize for the racism involved in them due to the era that they were created.

I like how they are still keeping some mystery behind what happened to Mick and I really don't think that he's actually dead. I get the strong feeling that Snart just shot his gun in case Rip was monitoring ambient temperature drop's or not. I hope we get to see him again at some point but who knows currently.

The rest of the story seemed to continue down exactly what I've come to expect from the show thus far, well rounded episode between all of the characters with an appropriate amount of time for each one.

My one complaint about the episode is about the Ray/Kendra though it's not so much with this episode but what's going to happen next episode. [SPOILER]From my understanding next episode we get to see the League and Ra's in which Sara goes back to them, that will undoubtedly mean that we see Ray/Kendra entirely alone and as it's a CW show I can't help but think this will be when they somehow screw up an episode entirely by basing it around that to much.[/SPOILER]

Comment

Yeah, not one of their strongest episodes. Which is a pity because the show was on a roll in recent weeks. The worrying thing is that LoT is becoming more and more like the other Berlanti shows in some aspects and that's not good.

- Case in point, the whole Ray/Kendra romantic plot. It's not needed on a show like this, it adds nothing and it doesn't look like going away any time soon.

- I appreciate the fact that they tackled the real life issues that existed in the 50s, although (IMO) at times it felt like the show was lecturing about these issues more than it was documenting. Just like Supergirl tends to do at times...

- I did like the mini arc of Sara exploring her feelings after all this time. It gave her some much needed character development as she continues to rediscover herself after the Pit.

- No Mick and that's part of the reason why I didn't like this episode as much. I hope he isn't gone for too long.

- Snart seems to be on an interesting path towards heroism. Here's what I'm wondering. In one of the early episodes, he tried to change his father's fate and warned him about hurting his kids. Obviously his father still went to prison, but could it be that his intervention created a new dynamic at the Snart house where Leonard and his sister weren't abused by their father anymore? And if that's the case, maybe that created a change in Snart's personality that we are seeing right now? As I recall, that was one of the reasons why he tried to stop his father from going to prison. He was hoping it would trigger a chain reaction that would ultimately make him feel different.

- "Dr Curtis Knox". I admit, I giggled at that part. Finally a Smallville homage!

- That was quite the cliffhanger they left us with. I just wish the CW didn't spoil it in its press release this week.
              Last edited by costas22; 03-12-2016, 02:17 AM.

Comment

It was an okay episode, fun overall and they kind of had to address some of those social issues since they landed in small-town 1950's America. Stein may have had a point on the whole idea of injecting progressive views in a time period where they just aren't there yet (and wouldn't be anytime soon), but in the context of the characters' growth re: series it made some sense. They basically gave a nod that these things existed then, but weren't going to go in-depth with it in the story.

Yeah, Ray/Kendra. I'm not into shipping on these shows just in general, so their launching this ship to -- I can only assume -- test the waters to see if the fandom will latch onto it(?) is something I'm not crazy about on the other Berlanti-verse TV shows ... and now it's popped up on LOT. I'm actually not surprised, considering they made one of Vandal's main motives his centuries-long pursuit/"stalking" of Kendra. And that twisted ship's not going away anytime soon. So with Ray/Kendra, LOT is essentially playing catch-up with their other TV cousins.

Still hoping that it won't drive plots on LOT to the same degree, but I think I wished for the same thing on Flash, Supergirl when they launched ... and they're both full of varying degrees of ship-fueled melodrama, so I think we can bury any notion that LOT still has some special immunity on being a shipper-free zone. We're looking at LOT as "shipper-free" show in the rearview mirror, sadly.

Snart's gone through some tremendous personal growth, on some fronts leagues ahead of many of his teammates, so I do hope that even if LOT is going to have a revolving door of teammates that they retain a core of original members that don't depart. I'd want Snart to be part of that core, along with White Canary, Rip etc. Ray could potentially lead his own spinoff if they chose to go that way. I'm hoping the plan isn't a complete roster change aka Rip and his new S2 team, then his new S3 team etc. Sara and Ray, and to some degree Snart have had a running start being on other DC series -- the newer teammates will have no such advantage and may need longer for fans to become invested in their characters.

That's part of the reason Ray/Kendra's not flying with me. I don't know a whole lot about Kendra even with the pre-series crossovers. It doesn't help that we only found out in the previous episode that Ray even had an interest in her, so it's something that still needs to be "sold" to fans.

Comment

Side question: can someone explain me that "custom" of dipping french fries into milk shakes? Where does it come from? Because I saw this first in "Arrow" and then in "LOT" and I'm wondering if it's some inside joke I'm missing, or people do it on daily basis, or something.

(In case you wonder the whole Europe, including my country, is flooded with fast food restaurants like McDonald's but I've never seen people dipping french fries into milk shakes!)

As for the episode - it was mostly okay, although they could do better work when it came to the "creatures" - for me they looked more silly than scary. But it's always good trope to use mental hospital and have some Bad Doctor to Experiment on Patients. Liked Rip and Cold posing as agents, as well as Sara's and Jax's subplots. Ray/Kendra - I wonder what dark waters of shipping are we entering here. It looks like typical CW stuff, and since you-know-what happened to "Arrow" I'm rather wary about how it will unfold.

Nice twist on the ending. Looking forward to the next episode.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎