Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Venom

Stranger Than Reality! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    I thought it was a good trailer. It answered the question of why he’s in San Francisco without giving away too much plot details.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 07-09-2018 at 02:23 PM.

I had a nice laugh with Elizabeth Banks’ Venom comment and than Seth Rogen’s reply to the comment. She would know since she was in the original Spider-Man trilogy and starred in a specific Rogen movie about the subject

https://heroichollywood.com/elizabet...racter-design/

I’m so excited for this film...with a cast like we have and the trailers looking the way they do, I’m crossing my fingers that this film surprises everyone in the most positive of ways.

I saw it yesterday. It was entertaining. A lot of action. I'd give it: B-.

I found the film underwhelming. It was definitely a Marvel movie cause the villain was weak! I kept waiting for a grand final battle and what we got seemed to be more like the second act of the film.

The action scenes reminded me of the “Transformers” movies; I just couldn’t make out what was going on with Symbiote body parts going every-which-way.

I also think the problem was that nothing really happened and those killed ([SPOILER]including Jenny Slate’s character and for that matter Drake/Other Symbiote [/SPOILER]) were after thoughts.

I don’t know if it had been R-rated that that would have improved it but, I noticed where things could have skewed in that rating.

The film also continued for another ten minutes or so, which lead me to believe that something else was going to happen.

And the after credit scene was more interesting than most of the film; [SPOILER] when Brock/Venom pulls into San Quentin to visit Cletus Kasady who writes in blood “Welcome Eddie” in his cell[/SPOILER] it gave me “Silence of the Lambs” vibes.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 10-13-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Gone
    I don't think the rating was an issue at all. It had enough gross elements and the action scenes were violent anyway.

It was an ok B-type of movie that lasted as long as it should have. The dialogue was silly at times and Tom Hardy's acting was surprisingly all over the place (maybe he needs a director like Nolan to rein him in at all times?), but Venom looked cool af and his lines were great. Ultimately the movie isn't a failure because it got its most important component right on the money.

Just a general comment and sorry to bring this up again. The last 2 comic book movies I saw where Ant Man and the Wasp and Venom. The former is quite possibly the worst MCU movie we've seen while the latter is an a flawed B movie. I fully understand if people disagree and if they think Ant Man and the Wasp was better. However, for the life of me I can't figure out how Rotten Tomatoes rates Venom by 31% and Ant Man and the Wasp by 88%! Sorry, but that's ridiculous and an obvious sign that the critics go easy on anything Disney-related.
    Last edited by costas22; 10-20-2018 at 05:35 AM.

the answer is 42. Blue screen of death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    I don't think the rating was an issue at all. It had enough gross elements and the action scenes were violent anyway.

It was an ok B-type of movie that lasted as long as it should have. The dialogue was silly at times and Tom Hardy's acting was surprisingly all over the place (maybe he needs a director like Nolan to keep rein him at all times?), but Venom looked cool af and his lines were great. Ultimately the movie isn't a failure because it got its most important component right on the money.

Just a general comment and sorry to bring this up again. The last 2 comic book movies I saw where Ant Man and the Wasp and Venom. The former is quite possibly the worst MCU movie we've seen while the latter is an a flawed B movie. I fully understand if people disagree and if they think Ant Man and the Wasp was better. However, for the life of me I can't figure out how Rotten Tomatoes rates Venom by 31% and Ant Man and the Wasp by 88%! Sorry, but that's ridiculous and an obvious sign that the critics go easy on anything Disney-related.

I also have seen Venom recently. i liked it, was it an amazing blockbuster? no. It was fun action movie with comic book elements i thought. It stayed mostly true to characters from what i could tell. I have not kept up on comics in years cause quite frankly most of them are just recycled uninspired garbage with no real original thought, characters or ideas anymore. They're just made to check certain boxes. The villain was blah but i thought tom hardy did a pretty good job mostly. The slight campy-ness brought about the aforementioned fun similar to "they live", or an "escape from new york" kind of film. As for film critics listening to them is pretty pointless these days as most are nothing but paid shills selling their souls to whatever is gonna give some sort of recognition or early access to viewings. I find it's better to read "fan reviews" for a barometer of sorts and if it sounds interesting go and make up my own mind. Only disappointment was no tease of spiderman or anything foreshadowing to what could become their rivalry eventually.
    Last edited by Blue screen of death; 10-20-2018 at 04:00 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123