0 0%
  • 1 - Not the best episode in the Arrow arsenal

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What do you think of "Unchained?"

What did you think?

Let's Write!
    Aside from Oliver deciding to withhold information that could be used against Darhk's lady love, I found the episode to be pretty good.

Posting Pro
    A very enjoyable episode which it felt like Arrow again.

I'm not going to get into the whole Felicity stuff and the zero shocking reveal of her father, despite the fact of it being a major part of the episode. (I have the feeling I'll get into that at some point)

Now very much enjoyed seeing Oliver to a proper beat down to those goons.

Roy is back and really shows how much he is missed on the show. I will say this Roy had more character focus in this one episode then he did from 3 solid seasons. Example in season 2 Roy's big episode was supposed to be Seeing Red and i have the feeling the character was hoping for more than just a hulking part.

With the whole blood lust thing taking it's toll by trying to take Thea's life well we got a lot of really great character moments from everyone involved in those scenes.

I liked the moment of Oliver shaking Malcolm's hand and thanking him for it. Because it really does show the twisted relationship those two have. You could just see Malcolm go from complete surprise to happiness in seconds.

For Tatsu well I'm glad that they didn't kill her. (on screen anyway's considering WB which is deadly then being mayor in Star City)

Now the flashbacks.

I'm so glad it was Shado's ghost (let's face it we have magic now) and not her sister. I hope this means we never will have to see Shado's sister again.

One of the moments I was smiling in this episode was when Shado was telling Oliver to embrace his darkness because it felt like The Hood is coming.

The random Oliver loving Tanina? What the heck? Ok that's about has rushed as Olicty or Jay/Caitlin. Although considering Oliver's reveal of Vlad's death which I was surprised he even told her the truth I have the feeling we may not have to worry about it.

All in all I'd say a solid Arrow episode.

Let's Write!
    I thought that was Mei in the dream and not Shado? And yeah, I don't buy the Oliver/Taiana thing at all.

Posting Pro
    The fourth episode in a row, now, that has felt like a true episode and not a chapter from "The Olicity Diaries". Clearly, the LoT set-up did a hell of a lot more damage to the first half of the season than even I suspected. So I must tip my hand to Mericle and the writing team. Guggenheim doesn't get credit for this until Episode 15. If Episode 15 is as good as these past four have been, I'll consider giving him some credit.

Now, let's see: I was all prepared to be ticked off we were having the presentation, but then come to find that Mr. Dennis, aka the a-hole chairman dude from Palmer Tech's board, pulled a fast one on Felicity and Curtis, no doubt to try and screw them over. They also finally confirmed that the death will be in April, since the shareholder meeting was originally supposed to be six months from Episode 2. Also, I did enjoy Felicity in this episode. And, if you think about it, she does have two sides. There's the civilian Felicity who runs Palmer Tech and has problems dealing with the board, and then there's Overwatch who runs the Team's operations. Curtis did exactly what he should have in this episode by telling her she needs to be that person all around when it comes to dealing with Palmer Tech board and shareholders. I'm actually coming around to liking Felicity again. This doesn't mean I'm gonna be happy if Oliver and Felicity are end-game, but I won't be as much of an a-hole when it comes to it if that happens, so long as the writing for Felicity and her interactions continues to be what it has since Episode 9.

Finding out that the use of the Lazarus Pit does have an affect on the host (sorry Thea, but that is the best word since the Bloodlust is a virus of sorts, and you're the person with it) if the bloodlust is not sated was a good move on their part, as well as them answering the question of why Sara is so much more together. Looking back, it seems Sara's own brush with it wasn't so much brought on by the Pit as her own unresolved anger, and she's not about to beat Thea to death when she has her soul. Them informing us that Constantine restored Sara fully just makes me shake my head at the way they were forced to ignore the idea of Oliver calling in John Constantine to help his sister. What, he couldn't deal with the Bloodlust on Thea's end? Stupid.

Roy's return was done very well, and as Haggard said, there is more character development in this episode for him than there was in most of the three seasons. I really liked the scene where he and Thea professed their love for one another since it raises my hopes that this whole Alex thing will be the end. What can I say? The whole street kid hooks up with the uncrowned/crowned princess of the city/kingdom is still something I enjoy. Blame watching Aladdin too many times as a kid.

The Rebellion has begun! HAHAHA! Okay, that's out of my system. I loved the development here with regards to Nyssa and the reveal that there are, in fact, those loyal to the true Heir to the Demon rather than the Usurper. I also think its rather intriguing that Nyssa has chosen Oliver to be her champion in this matter (because its clear that's what's going on). No doubt this is, in part, payback to him for choosing Malcolm in the first place upon his defeat of Ra's. I also hope there's just a bit of drama here with the whole, "Besides, you're still my husband" thing. I'm looking forward to how this will play out. Also, Nyssa getting Tatsu to stand down because she was there for a matter concerning Oliver was done brilliantly. It really shows the level of intelligence Nyssa has that even when she's emotional, she still knows how to deal with things in a calculating manner. Sorry, couldn't help that one. It slipped out, honest.

The flashbacks were interesting, but unfortunately they sparked an idea I will explore in the 'grave' thread. I'm glad it was a hallucination/fever dream and not a 'Shado's resurrected' or 'Mei is an ARGUS agent' thing like I was expecting.

Hmm.... let's see.... oh Curtis used his T-Ball thing as a weapon against Roy. That's cool.

Oliver and Malcolm bonding. One must assume the scene from the trailer with the "you're very handsome, but not too bright" will come into play next episode, assuming Oliver doesn't let Malcolm live somehow....

Oh, one last thing: Oliver mentioned that he's been back and forth to Central City. Considering that Damien would want to keep track of the movements of one of the mayoral candidates, and I honestly think Damien is aware of who is under the hood, there's little doubt in my mind that he knows about William and Samantha. But this also raises the question of, "What does Oliver tell people when he's going to Central City to visit William?"

9/10. A very good, well-written and portrayed episode of Arrow, but as I've said elsewhere, I will now be reserving 10/10 for truly remarkable episodes.

Didn't like it a great deal. I don't mean to compare shows, but in this week's The Flash, we saw how a show can juggle multiple storylines in one episode and tie them together expertly. "Unchained" tried to do the same but it was all over the place.

Separately, most of the stuff we saw tonight would work for me: Roy's return, the Calculator, Nyssa's revolution, Tatsu's return, Shado's ghost, Thea's bloodlust effects, Felicity and Curtis' invention and Ruve's candidacy. But put them all in one bowl and try to make it work? Nah. It was too much. And what's the most annoying part is that some of the returns we saw tonight were completely overshadowed. Which is a shame because we don't get to see Roy, Shado or Tatsu every week.

Loved seeing Roy back. I felt they found a good storyline to make it happen.

Nyssa's return was pleasant and I kind of liked how she made an ultimatum to Oliver about Malcolm. When you think about it, Nyssa's predicament this season is Oliver's fault because he made Malcolm the next Ra's. So in a way, he's finally realizing the mistake he made at the time.

As for Thea, with the show teasing her death now, that definitely means she isn't in the grave later on.

The show left things open-ended on the Nyssa/Tatsu front. I hope this doesn't mean Nyssa killed her offscreen. Either way, I doubt we will see Tatsu again.

Shado's return was ok, but too short.

Oliver and Taiana are in love? Since when?

Malcolm's back!

Once again, I failed to enjoy Felicity's scenes. I might have if there wasn't such unnecessary tension in them (as if she will bite someone's head off at any moment). Or if they didn't constantly try to portray her as the star of the show. Sorry, but that's how it comes across. On top of that, her back and forth with the Calculator felt campy and lame.

6/10. Hopefully next week there will be less storylines and less Felicity (although it's doubtful given that episode's title).
    Last edited by costas22; 02-04-2016 at 04:11 AM.

Forum Whiz
    Good episode

Nyssa's back! She instantly makes episodes so much more enjoyable. I do have a bad feeling for her next episode though. What was that place she went to in Japan? Some Council of some sort?

Roy's back. Liked all his scenes. I found the scene near the start of the episode, with Oliver and Roy jumping around, unintentionally hilarious. Looked like human bunny hopping.

I quite like Damien's wife. I hope she has more to do.

Can't say I care much about Felicity and her Dad although I do wonder why her wheelchair isn't more sophisticated. Surely she can afford some sort of automatic wheelchair?

Please let the next episode lead to Malcolm dying (although I find it doubtful).

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LycoX View Post
    I thought that was Mei in the dream and not Shado? And yeah, I don't buy the Oliver/Taiana thing at all.
    Nope that really was Shado.

I hope that the Oliver/Taiana thing does not happen at all and if it's because she can't be with a guy who killed her brother then so be it.

Roy: I don't want to hurt you.

Curtis: I don't want you to hurt me either.

Roy: Well, I'm going to need to take that [battery].

Curtis: Oh. I think you might have to hurt me then.
    One of my favorite quotes.

Oh how I missed Roy and his unnecessary parkour. The stunts were so much more fun this week. Loved seeing OLIVER chase Roy even though it made NO FREAKEN' SENSE to do it without a mask.

The turn in Thea's condition was actually surprising as was Oliver actually not trying to make a deal with Damien Darhk. Which brings me to a WTF moment.

I am fine with Oliver being cordial to Malcolm and even fine with him listening to him and telling him he was right but there was IMO no justification for Oliver to give him a grateful thanks and a hearty handshake. This is still the man that DRUGGED THea making her kill Sara in order to FORCE Oliver to fight Ra's which is the only reason why Ra's stabbed Thea and used the Lazarus Pit on her in the first place!!!!

It's all very nice that Malcolm now wants to respect his daughter's wishes but Malcolm is still the only reason why she's in this predicament in the FIRST PLACE!!!! ARGGGHHH!

I know, I know, the only reason we had that scene was to raise the stakes when Nyssa demands that he kill him. (Hmm, a third party forcing Oliver to kill Ra's for them...why is this so familiar?) Personally my reactions was, "Kill Malcolm and Thea is cured? Ok, problems solved. Lets move on."

I truly enjoyed Tom Amandes as The Calculator. Addicted to cat videos, yep , Felicity's dad. Kind of surprised that he is not nearly as morally grey as I thought he would be. He's not just the activist that doesn't concern himself with the danger or risk his actions put people in, he COUNTS the death toll and wishes it would be higher. He's a BAD guy.

Of course on this show he's still no Malcolm Merlyn and if Oliver - our show's hero - is good being his buddy, then I guess Felicity is allowed to hang with her dad???

The flashbacks are still painful. I woke up a little when Shado showed up but kind of nodded off again when she turned out to be a hallucination (cause Felicity can't have the only fun) but a hallucination that gave him a real rock??? Huh? Honestly, I care so little about the flashbacks that I just don't care that he has a magic rock now.

What I do care about is the contradiction her visit brings up for FB Oliver. He's suppose to be moving deeper into the darkness but she's telling him the only way he can survive is if he opens up to his "love" and tells her the truth? Huh? How does that make him dark? Dark would be Oliver not letting guilt of killing her brother bother him because it was what he had to do to survive. And let's talk about her supposedly being his "love." Really???

First off, even Oliver doesn't believe Tatiana (or whatever her name is) is his love and why should he? He's barely had a conversation with her. Otherwise his time spent with her was limited to dragging her into the woods so he could fake her death and leaving then going back briefly to prove she was "dead". Then he briefly checked up on her to see if she's alive maybe once before dragging her on a hike so she could give him a diving lesson where they were found out. Seriously, that's it. That's all the time they've interacted.

She was nice enough to be worried that a SHARK bit him but this isn't like he and Shado or he and Felicity. He actually spent a lot of time with Shado and Felicity before any accusations of love were thrown around. He and Tatiana don't even have history. I'm pretty sure the in show flashback timeline is not much more than a week since he save her life. (And I think that is stretching it) Oliver must be absolutely delirious to even briefly think dream Shado could be right.

I hate that they brought Shado back for the sole purpose of warning the audience that Oliver is going to soon get busy with that. Why couldn't they have just written them a connection that was more substantial than he doesn't want to kill her and she doesn't want to be killed? Add into it that he killed her brother and any kind of future physical relationship just makes me ill. The power imbalance in their association makes the notion appalling. And yet, still boring!!!

Still, over all, a good solid episode. Alex who? I already miss Roy.

Thea and Roy had some strong character growth moments here and I'm glad they made a point of reminding everyone that there are consequences to resurrecting Thea, which will likely require some form of magical intervention to fix. I had some minor concerns that Roy's return would do little story-wise compared to his profound game-changing S3 exit, but Roy managed to make a substantial if brief impact and it was fitting he got some closure with Thea too.

This ep. managed to tease both Roy and Thea's lives on the line, so unless there's some unexpected twist near the end of this season, I think they are safe from the grave.

I also liked Felicity getting more character growth -- with the bonus that it had something to do with her work life, coping with confidence issues, etc. and not Olicity (though it's a safe bet they're keeping their angst powder dry for the #babymamadrama ).

We had barely a peep from Quentin lately, which doesn't bode well for him ... even if we don't consider his long-term health issues and that Darkh association will surely mark him for death if and when it all hits the fan.

The flashbacks, not much of note -- except for the thing with Shado. Ollie should be slipping into the darkness that will drive him to become the Hood, yet the impression I got with the hallucination is that she's offering him a means to cope with his troubled scruples? The rock must have something to do with it, but for now it's a bit hazy to me re: how it will impact Ollie becoming S1's Hood.

I think all the early teases about the Calculator and his being Felicity's dad undercut what could have been a shocking reveal if it was kept secret. I know there was speculation but I think they should have kept their cards a bit closer to the vest on this one.

LOA civil war: so it begins. It's about time we heard a peep from Nyssa, the "true" Heir to the Demon by birthright, by breeding, by destiny. I always figured that not all the LOA would be so willing to obey Malcolm as Ra's and they likely view him as a usurper. (This would even go back to S3, if we assume her followers never truly accepted Ollie's ascendancy, hence they would also not accept his passing of the Ra's title to Malcolm -- an infidel in their eyes).

And it's also reasonable to assume that there would be a cadre of Nyssa loyalists in the League who view her as the only legitimate successor to the Ra's title. It may not exactly be GoT, but I will take whatever dynastic power plays I can get on Arrow. When they do go head to head in a final battle, the fan in me is hoping the battle will look practically biblical in scale: faction vs. faction, no quarter given. Winter is coming, Malcolm. Team Nyssa all the way!

Posting Pro
    The images for next week's episode also show an interesting split in Team Arrow with Oliver and Diggle walking with Malcolm to the meet-up location, and at the meet-up, Laurel is standing with Nyssa's supporters.

Let's Write!
    Thanks Haggard, and didn't news sources awhile back say something about her being a past love as it is? I really can't see her wanting to be with a man who killed her brother even though he had no choice since Conklin put him up to it. Regarding Malcolm's fate, I've unintentionally already spoiled myself on that whole thing. It makes sense Laurel would be standing with Nyssa and her bunch because they trained together and Sara was with Nyssa as well. Honestly, I'd have loved to have seen a full on fight between Nyssa and Tatsu, even if it wasn't to the death. Heck, I might try and write that myself.

I can't be the only one surprised by the whole Calculator revealing to be Felicity's dad, am I? Appeared so when I was reading review comments this week. One person echoed exactly what I was thinking: "Calculator having relation to anyone in the cast, wasn't even on my mind."

Obviously it makes sense and I guess looking back on it, is quite obvious, but at the time I wasn't really thinking of him being related to anyone.

Back to the episode, it wasn't too bad. I remember hating the Roy character when he came into the show initially. But as he joined the team and Oliver took him on as a protégé, I became quite a fan. I loved having him back on the show. Hopefully he'll be able to don the red-suit a couple more times in the future.

I don't think there's been a single moment on this show that Curtis has disappointed. That character has been written perfectly thus far in my opinion.

I think people bag on Felicity too much (especially regarding the reference to her on The Flash), but her character has gone through some solid arcs the last couple episodes. But, I do hope they tone her face time down a little more. This show is still called Arrow. Not like we watch Batman movies and games and see Alfred, Lucius, and Oracle more than we see/hear from Batman.

The flashbacks? For god's sake, please, PLEASE don't let that be another love interest. Especially because this one is completely out of left-field and does Oliver always need to be a part of some love-storyline?

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post

The flashbacks, not much of note -- except for the thing with Shado. Ollie should be slipping into the darkness that will drive him to become the Hood, yet the impression I got with the hallucination is that she's offering him a means to cope with his troubled scruples? The rock must have something to do with it, but for now it's a bit hazy to me re: how it will impact Ollie becoming S1's Hood.
    Well what I am hoping for is that going through the darkness is a reference to season 2 but for the remaining of the flashbacks and season 1, Oliver embraces The Hood aspect and fast. Enough time as been wasted.

That's me being hopeful, my realist side is going they are not going to make Oliver The Hood in methods. Because I think the writers themselves have either forgotten what Oliver was in season 1 (unlikely) or they are just scared to go that far again due to how many people hated Oliver's methods in season 1. *mumbles about writers not having a back bone to tell the proper story*
    Last edited by Haggard01; 02-05-2016 at 01:22 PM.

I was happy when Oliver stopped killing in season 1 but these are the flashbacks that are supposed to show me how Oliver turned into that guy from season one so I WANT to see the darkness. I don't want him torturing puppies or dabbling in sex trafficking, but I want to see him hardening and getting to that place where he has no quams over killing the names on the list. Season four flashback Oliver wouldn't. Just plain would not. Would not even consider it. He's still feeling guilty over self defense and keeping his action secret. I thought the least he could do was not willing confess to the killing of her brother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast