Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who To Be Removed From Netflix & Hulu February 1, 2016!?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Who To Be Removed From Netflix & Hulu February 1, 2016!?!

To quote Jim Ross, we've got big problems out here. Reports have been going around all last week that Netflix and Hulu are about to drop ALL of Doctor Who on 2-1-16.

This happened the past 2 years too and at the 11th hour we get a new contract and all is well. Its basically contracts. I know that BBC is looking to start a streaming service ala Netflix but they told The Nerdist fb page that Doctor Who and Sherlock would NOT b streaming on their new service.

I find it funny that this is happening only to Who and not to other BBC series like Sherlock, Luther and Top Gear on either service but all BBC contracts were for the same amount of time on Netflix and Hulu which is a year each time the contracts are renewed. Here is my guesses as to what will happen.

My first theory is that just like the past 2 years, negotiations will get to the final hours of the Who contracts and a new deal will be signed in the nick of time. The second theory is that it wont happen before the end of the contract but it WILL happen a few days or weeks later.

This is basically the same thing that happened with NBC and CBS where i live last yr. Negotiations went down to the wire and both channels were blacked out for about a week or two. Once that happened then everyone stayed at the negotiating table and didnt leave until new contracts were signed and finalized. Basically, that is what is going on here too. I dont know why this contract is for a yr only but all it does is make fans upset.

I did put a call into Netflix and customer service was very nice. They must be getting a lot of angry calls on this topic but i was very nice and told them thank you for their help. They did tell me that negotiations are ongoing and the guy said in his personal opinion he would be VERY surprised if the show is permanently dropped since its one of the most popular shows on the service.

I was also at Walmart yesterday and most of the Who DVDs and blu rays have been knocked down in price. That includes Season 9 Parts 1 and 2 both of which are under $20. I think Part 1 is under $17 actually! This happened the past 2 years as well when the contracts were extremely close to expiring and then mysteriously enough, a new deal was signed days later so i wonder if BBC puts in calls to stores and says drop prices and put them on sale to put pressure on Netflix. If fans see stuff on sale for cheap like that, im guessing theyre more likely to buy them and not have to worry about them disappearing from Netflix and Hulu because those DVDs and blu rays came out really fast too!

My guess is we could see a blackout but not a long one and also, since we dont get Season 10 of Who until 2017 with the exception being the Christmas special this year. So that puts more pressure on BBC to sign a new deal and keep this show and the older episodes on Netflix. I do also think the fact its done over on Hulu means we will maybe just see Netflix with exclusive streaming rights u know? It just seems too coincidental that BOTH services contracts are expiring at the same time.

Ill keep everyone updated as to what is going on but i truly believe just like the last 2 years, we will see a new contract signed at last moment or days later.

Also this happened back in i think 2012 with Viacom and DirecTV when both sides were stuck. The Viacom channels were blacked out for a week or two until a new deal was reached. So that could happen here but believe me. When channels and shows get removed, both sides work their tails off to get everything back to normal as soon as possible because while the blackout is happening, a HUGE chunk of money is lost. Those shows and channels make everyone involved a lot of money. So while u see ads that say stuff like oh so and so is gonna pull down your shows and channels, once it gets closer or does actually happen, u have both parties in constant negotiations to make everything right u know what i mean? Same thing almost happened with AMC channel last yr and there were some REALLY nasty messages on both sides during negotiations. Like oh DirecTV wants to do that and AMC Networks are doing this. Once it got closer to the expiration date, and trust me folks it got REALLY close to a blackout of the channels, everyone involved put their noses to the grindstone and made a new deal happen. So dont be surprised if that happens here too. Losing money and angry fans, a LOT of angry fans, tends to make studios and others in charge stop being bitter to each other and get stuff done u know?
    Last edited by Austin 3:16; 01-31-2016, 02:32 PM.

So i promised everyone an update and here is what is going on. ALL Doctor Who is off Netflix. I know this because I checked it before I went to bed early on Monday, Feb 1st. I dont have Hulu but what I have heard is the same thing has happened there too.

I was reading reports that a lot of people are mad at BBC. The news reports have come out that BBC is why the shows were removed and didnt allow both services any time to maybe make a new deal. How do I know this? Well one of my friends was watching an episode of Doctor Who. The deadline hit in the middle of the episode. Well instead of my friend being allowed to finish the ep, it was stopped immediately and thats all she wrote for Doctor Who for right now.

I understand negotiating a new deal and getting money but come on thats pretty cold. Netflix told angry callers they wanted to let people finish the episodes they would have been watching, but BBC said no absolutely not. Sorry but why cant you even let fans finish whatever episode theyre on and then make them suspend episodes afterwards? I still believe that we will see a new deal signed in a few days or weeks but still you arent gonna make any new fans, or endear existing ones, when you play dirty folks. Thats REALLY dirty too.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎