0 0%
  • 1 - My patience for this show is shorter than Diggle's brother

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "A.W.O.L."

What did you think?

Embargo strikes again.

Since it's been revealed by the showrunners before that she wasn't going to claim/adopt/usurp the title, brand etc of Oracle, it wasn't a surprise they went with an identity all her own. A good and smart move, I'd say.

Now she can forge an identity all her own, without fans trying to hunt for DC easter eggs (real or not) had her code name been linked to an already-established DC character. The Oracle code name has already been taken -- Ollie's own words. Bat and BOP fans can see it also as Ollie confirming that at minimum someone else in their universe exists with the Oracle brand, if not Barbara Gordon herself. Slim-to-none odds we'll ever see Babs/Batgirl/Oracle in this universe but it was a nice (small) shoutout.

They made some serious progress in the Andy/HIVE story arc. I'm glad this was the A plot in the ep., Diggle was in most of the ep ... plus Diggle flashbacks to his Afghanistan tour of duty and the roots of Andy's heel turn to his mercenary ways. The bonus was the Shadowspire link to Ollie's flashbacks. Oddly, I'm a bit more worried now that Diggle and team have dealt with Shadowspire and Andy is back in the fold. Things now look great for the Diggle clan, which I strongly suspect won't stay as-is by the season finale. There could still be more HIVE stuff, maybe they're not done with Andy yet -- but if not, I'd be concerned that the door is open for one of the Diggle bros to pay the ultimate price for the cause.

Felicity got her own (shortened) version of an identity crisis, which I didn't mind so much. She's in a vulnerable spot post-surgery and it would be expected she would have some self-doubt and self-pity. It was amusing to see her "quarreling" with her previous angry goth hacker identity (let's just call her "Alanis" Felicity).The fact that they were willing to show her as fallible, and capable of being fallible -- and maybe subtextually addressing some of the she-can-do-no-wrong issues that have emerged around her since S3 -- is progress in my books. The hallucinating might seem a ham-fisted way of doing all this, but they largely delivered the message. (It would be more the concept Ollie having zero motivation without her re: his mission, which they pitched yet again in this ep., that I'd have issue with.)

Laurel sparring with Ollie is a rare sight. Laurel being on point in her day job capacity as ADA is another rare treat. Plus it was also good to see Ollie confiding in her like a friend -- which they are and remain to be, regardless of their non-romantic status.

The end-of-mission toast to Amanda Waller. I guess it makes sense for Lyla and Ollie to do so, since they knew her. And in one sense, Waller was a "patriot" in the worst sense of the label: everything for the mission goals, cost in lives be damned. She wore a white hat, or liked to believe she did, but she was every bit an alpha-"villain" in the way Slade or Ra's were ... and in many ways worse, since she had no scruples.

A solid, mostly well-rounded episode.

Posting Pro
    Right, for once, I have little to complain about. This episode was very much one of introspection for everyone, and Felicity's version, with hallucination-Felicity, was handled well. Not only did it give her time to deal with some things, but it also gave some much-needed answers and confirmed what I had suspected for a while: that she basically shoved everything she was away and embraced this 180 side of herself, to the point of hiding away from having her own identity. This was a big issue I've had with the character, and I'm glad they acknowledged this for those of us who have been irritated. This would also be able to explain away the character's lack of development in many areas, since someone who is in denial and focuses solely on being one thing will not evolve and grow. We saw this with Oliver early on in Season 1, how he had to be forced into growth by pep talks and such from family, Dig, and eventually Felicity.

I enjoyed the flashbacks for the most part, especially as they tied it into the current flashback story for Oliver. One of the big issues with the 'stand alone' flashbacks is they rarely tie into the central character's journey, at least at first glance.

Laurel and Oliver's sparring session and their talk was actually organic, thanks in part to the long time friendship between the two and Laurel's own friendship with Felicity. This is probably the healthiest the two have ever interacted and, on the off-chance they ever choose to go back towards the Laurel/Oliver pairing (not saying they will, and I'm honestly not sure I want them to because of how horribly they mangle primary pairings with Oliver), this is a good foundation to be building that from. Also, Laurel managed to be supportive of Oliver and Felicity's relationship without sounding out of character coughRa'scough.

I believe the best phrase to describe what happened with Waller is, "Ding Dong, the Wicked Witch is dead!" However, I will say that I was shocked to see her get killed. But I guess in the end they knew they'd have to otherwise people would start asking questions like why she doesn't show up often, especially with HIVE operating in Star City. Anyone get the feeling Lyla might have to go back to ARGUS and take over?

Overwatch as Felicity's codename is good, since it is a nod to Marc Guggenheim as showrunner and combines a few things. Also, I did like the mention that "Oracle is already taken". To me, that suggests that, just maybe, Gotham has a certain vigilante and has for years, but he sticks to the shadows and so is more urban legend. That would be fine in my book. The only problem I've had with the idea of including any of the Trinity is that Superman, at least, would be someone who would have been mentioned at least once.

Also, I like how they set up some decent ideas for the back half and hope they play this out good.

The episode was pretty good, but not epic. It felt like an Arrow episode again, the third in a row. If they keep this up, I'm gonna start watching live again. 9/10 for being an Arrow episode, but not quite epic.

Quote Originally Posted by JDBentz View Post
    Right, for once, I have little to complain about. This episode was very much one of introspection for everyone, and Felicity's version, with hallucination-Felicity, was handled well. Not only did it give her time to deal with some things, but it also gave some much-needed answers and confirmed what I had suspected for a while: that she basically shoved everything she was away and embraced this 180 side of herself, to the point of hiding away from having her own identity. This was a big issue I've had with the character, and I'm glad they acknowledged this for those of us who have been irritated. This would also be able to explain away the character's lack of development in many areas, since someone who is in denial and focuses solely on being one thing will not evolve and grow.
    They brought it up by having her overcome it in a day and without really dealing with it. It's actually a shame, because return to form goth Felicity is something I would prefer to sad sweetie pie able to overcome everything Felicity. The first real storyline that's about her character since season 1 and it's brushed away in a single episode.

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
    They brought it up by having her overcome it in a day and without really dealing with it. It's actually a shame, because return to form goth Felicity is something I would prefer to sad sweetie pie able to overcome everything Felicity. The first real storyline that's about her character since season 1 and it's brushed away in a single episode.

God bless you! God bless everyone!
    Allow me to clarify: this is what I expected from these writers. if this were a different team, I'd have expected it to be drawn out a bit more. But they don't like to do that, do they? Unless its the 'will they, won't they' question.

Posting Pro
    I actually don't even have anything negative to say about this episode or maybe that's just because I've already seen various other sites jump on the hate train for this episode just to flap their gums and I watch Arrow to be enjoyed, not to beat it down at every turn.

1. Felicity Smoak since I kind of want to get her out of the way first. Ok, like JD said of this addressed one of my biggest issues of how she has NOT progressed as a character for the past 3 seasons and especially last year. I actually enjoyed seeing her and was even a little happy when she over came her ghosts and is back into her "Overwatch" role. So, I guess this is proof that I can in fact still like the character on screen for rare moments. That being said, I would still like her at some point gone but I'll take the better character development since she will be around.

Also it was nice since it confirmed my hunch that she has been living in denial ever since Cooper died years ago. Which for the Olicty moments, were not that bad compared to having seen worse. I've just learned to deal with them.

2. The Diggle brothers. David Ramsey is good as always and got really enjoyable scenes with some material to play with tonight. Andy, got to be fleshed out and despite me going "oh great. Here's another not dead guy" I'm starting to warm up to him. The flashbacks helped in that regard and oh looks like Baron Reiter may be in charge of Shadowspire or rather was if the guy is dead.

3. The scene with Oliver and Laurel training. I'm glad Laurel actually got a few moments with Ollie that weren't hostile, it was nice to see. Like Laurel going to the crime scene since it shows a side of the character we hardly get to see.

4. I did like Oliver saying of how their world of living in meta humans, magic etc. because it a nice reminder of how much the show has changed from season 1.

5. This episode seamed to end rather happily. Well for Arrow that can mean only one thing it's not going to last.

6. The action in this episode, I really enjoyed and it makes me wonder if they've got a guy from season 1 back.

7. Amanda Waller's death, unexpected. Now I'll split half going to just because she's Waller and the other on DC's Embargo. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, for now since I'll see what happens to Tatsu when she returns. Also if Lyla becomes the new director that's going to make things easier instead of us just always asking where is Waller.

I did like the drink scene between Oliver and Lyla because while everyone else was looking at them like they were nuts, it does show that they respected Waller despite her twisted methods and in the case of Oliver was a possible mentor.

I'd say this episode gets a 8/10, just because that's my usual placement for good Arrow episodes.

First Deadshot, now Amanda Waller?
    Screw DC/WB. I'm protesting against this.

Who's next they kill off? Katana?

Once Deathstroke is in the DC movies, will they kill off the Arrow version?

This whole situation is getting ridiculous.

It was a harmless episode. And IMO, that's as good as Arrow can hope for given its current trajectory. I don't expect it to last, but, for one week it was nice not to have anything truly grate my nerves. Also, it was smart to take a break from the Darhk storyline, which seemed to be going in circles in the last few episodes.

The Diggles were by far the best part about this episode. Was sceptical about Andy's "resurrection" at first, but he's been a very good addition to the show and has helped bring out the best in John as well. Loved the flashbacks scenes between the two and I especially loved the last scene. It's become very un-Arrow like that they deliver a truly great emotional scene. Lyla was also great in this episode. One of the few female characters the show has got spot on.

Obviously Felicity was a central figure in this episode and this was probably one of her best episodes in recent weeks. She showed some growing maturity in the way she handled her predicament and the hallucinations were a clever touch in the sense that people always tend to reflect back during tough times. Of course, with this being Felicity, she still had to throw an unnecessary snide remark while people are paying tribute to a deceased person...

Overwatch is a good name. Although Overlord would have worked too. Felicity likes using it as I recall.

The Team Arrow scenes were pretty good throughout the episode. Especially Oliver's with Laurel. We rarely got the sense that there were too many people trying to talk at the same time. I just wish they didn't make such a big deal of how much they are missing Felicity. The team can function pretty well without her as hacker Diggle proved.

As for Waller, while I was never too impressed with Arrow's version of her (I prefer Smallville's version better), the level of interference by DC on this show is becoming increasingly annoying. Hopefully this won't become an issue with the Flash series when the Flash movie's release date draws near. If their logic is not to have duplicate characters, are they going to kill off Barry?

7.5/10.
    Last edited by costas22; 01-28-2016 at 01:40 AM.

This was a solid episode, easily in the 7-8/10 range -- in no small part due to the ep. getting back to basics re: the action/adventure side and doing a lot with the HIVE/Andy story arc. It's the sort of ep. I wish they did on a regular basis.

Some much-needed character growth for Felicity and Laurel playing a role beyond that of just another team member to pinch-hit were bonuses. If there was any doubt that Lyla was the most competent, credible (and better-crafted) female character on the series as of S4, this ep. left little doubt. Audrey Marie Anderson brings it. Every. Time. Lyla is amazing, leaves everyone (Thea, Laurel and Felicity) in the dust and, if Diggle were to exit by season's end, the fallout could also mean less Lyla -- which would be a loss also. In a way, this ep shows why Diggle and Lyla shouldn't leave the show in any capacity.

Marvel may be fine with a shared TV/Movie universe (Their need to share a combined universe benefits their movie universe far more than their TV one, IMO), but I have little problem with WB/DC keeping movie and TV worlds separate for now. I can appreciate that fans want to see, say, the JL trinity (Supes, Bats, WW) in the TV as well as movie universe. I have to say that, in this particular DCTV universe they've created, I'm ok with none of them popping up on TV at this point. Sure they could use more DC characters than they have now, but I'll take a few well-developed DC easter eggs over a shower of one-dimensional ones any day.

Waller's death was a shock, even more so that her character lives in the movie universe in Suicide Squad (granted, the reason she was likely offed on Arrow). But I can understand why they felt they needed to do it on Arrow. She's one of Arrow's most formidable antagonists and probably one of the most dangerous. Considering that status, her virtual absence this season would always raise questions about what she's doing, planning etc. that might trip up Team Arrow, even if she were never to be used again. She would have been a great alpha-villain -- if Arrow didn't already have a buffet of them. They have a full stable of villains (Malcolm, Darkh, LOA, endless supply of street gangs) and Waller has had little to do since the S3 flashbacks. If they had no real future plans for her anyway, giving her a relevant death served a purpose in propelling the story forward.

By giving her a death-and-glory ending and serving her some black ops justice, they both advanced the Andy/HIVE story arc, Diggle's own journey on the series and indirectly, Felicity's as well.

Forum Whiz
    It was good but did we really need two Felicity's? One is more than enough.

Rather sad that Waller died but she hasn't done much recently. I guess we can still see her in flashbacks.

Love Lyla. Make her permanent!

I take it Andy isn't going to try get back with his (ex) wife and son. If the writers even remember he has.

Forum Regular
    The Felicity story is not done Oliver mentioned Barry being able to go back in time so I expect Barry to go back in time and warn Oliver so by the end of this season Barry will and Felicity will be walking again.
    I also like the fact that Felicity will not become Oracle. Also with Amanda Waller dead what will happen with ARGUS?

Good Episode. Sad to see Amanda Waller go.

Was hoping for a Felicity heel turn. Going to miss Goth Felicity.

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by acer15 View Post
    The Felicity story is not done Oliver mentioned Barry being able to go back in time so I expect Barry to go back in time and warn Oliver so by the end of this season Barry will and Felicity will be walking again.
    I also like the fact that Felicity will not become Oracle. Also with Amanda Waller dead what will happen with ARGUS?
    Okay, I'm sorry, but I have to ask: are you even watching the same show? Barry also warned Oliver about the dangers of time travel. Oliver is aware of them now, as is Barry. NEITHER of them are gonna purposely mess with the timeline. Barry moreso after the last episode of The Flash.

After seeing how they get rid of Amanda Waller (due to Sucicide Squad movie set up of corz) I think I'm taking a break from watching "Arrow", because [cuts from here a few words which I can't write on public forum] how could they? A shocking moment? Sure. But what a waste of a character.

But yes, me liking a character is literally (!) a bullet to the brain.

Srsly, it's first "Arrow" episode from a veeery long time which made me pissed off so much. -__-

Damn, a just a few days ago I was thinking (and even said to someone!) that it's surprising that Amanda is STILL alive despite exisitng in movieverse.

So, yes, I think that taking a break from "Arrow" solves my problem with watching too much shows right now. Don't have time for them anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast