Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Strange Visitor From Another Planet?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Strange Visitor From Another Planet?"

What did you think?
    10 - Fantastic
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Bad
    0%

I have to say, I'm a little annoyed with how Kara insinuated herself into cat's personal life like that; like her sister said, she doesn't need to help everyone all the time.

Comment

I give it a 7/10. The epodise was mainly good because we got to have a closer look at Martian Manhunter's life on mars before he came to earth. The White martian story-line was far more interesting to me than Cat's personal life.

Cat's storyline was what caused me to knock off a few points on my rating. I do agree that Kara shouldn't be butting into Cat's personal life like that.

Comment

For the most part, a good episode. On the one hand, the Cat-Adam storyline was something I didn't expect to see happen, but then when I consider the characterization they've given Kara as both Kara Danvers and as Supergirl, it made sense, and what's more, they addressed that in the episode rather than ignoring it for the sake of drama. As someone who likes to try and help people too much at times, I can empathize with Kara's reasons, though I still facepalmed when I realized that she had sent Adam a letter.

The Martian Manhunter vs White Martian storyline was well done, and really hit the emotional points needed.

The budding romance between Kara and Adam (who are real life husband and wife) was interesting to see, but I worry we're getting too many possibilities for romance for the character in just the first season. Though I guess I should be thankful that they haven't decided to make Maxwell Lord a potential love interest for Kara. No, that dubious pleasure is Alex's.

Ah, poor Lucy. She's finding out that Cat's not as nice as she thought....

8/10. I expected some follow up on the Winn-Kara issue, and I don't completely buy the 180 turn around by the Senator.

Comment

You know Winn's gonna be crushed if things progress between Kara and Adam. I did enjoy the story with the Martian Manhunter and his White Martian enemy and I imagine if one was a doozy for him the rest are gonna be way worse on his mindset when the time comes.

Comment

Not a knock on this episode in particular, but more of an overall observation: I don't get what Kara admires about Cat. Obviously as Supergirl she sees the best in people, but (imo) Cat doesn't have many endearing qualities. At least not to the point where Kara and Lucy (last week anyway) worship the ground she walks on.

Anyway, I thought this episode was a hit and miss. The Martian storyline was definitely the best part about it. I didn't expect the ground to have Mars flashbacks so well done in that area. On the other hand, the Adam storyline was a bit meh. Like others, I didn't appreciate Kara's involvement in it and I didn't find Adam particulary interesting. Especially if his main arc on the show is being a love interest for Kara, who already has enough on her plate as it is. It certainly isn't going to help her situation with Winn...

P.S. David Harewood delivered some of the best acting we've seen on the show all season.
            Last edited by costas22; 01-26-2016, 07:10 AM.

Comment

While Hank/MM's story was the most interesting one in this ep., it was also stacked with a hearty helping of melodrama. Cat's own subplot with Adam only has a marginal connection with anything Kara-related thanks to Kara's line-crossing in engineering that meeting. As much as she wants to help and is a giving person in nature, the situation between Cat and Adam is really none of her business. Add to that the introduction of a potential love rectangle and it could saturate more than few eps. with a lot of soapy suds -- and not all of it will be as relevant to Kara's Supergirl journey. (To be fair, I don't have much of an issue with Cat herself in this subplot, as I've grown to like her character and the role she plays in the series.) But yeah, the Cat-Adam (+Kara!) subplot may make juicy melodrama, ship-spawning ... but in terms of its link or importance to the alpha story arc -Supergirl's journey- it's flimsy.

If Winn's fate is to turn heel, then it would be very easy for them to serve the 'unrequited love' grievance as motivation for him -- though I really, really hope they don't go this well-traveled route (ie. Slade, Vandal Savage etc.) in driving someone to the dark side. Maybe it's just me but villains become "less" villainous when we find out that what drove them to evil was ..... they got their hearts stomped on/had their feelings hurt/can't catch a break in the romance department.

The love rectangle stuff makes me nervous re: how it unfolds for Winn, and in a big-picture sense for Kara and her journey.

It looks like Lord's own "supergirl" is online and out for a field test. Now he's one alpha-villain who seems to be on point with his plans (if he doesn't fall hard and fast for Alex). Won't exactly blame him if he does -- but his stock will drop if he does join that increasingly crowded bench of broken-hearted villains.

"Slade: C'mon over, Winn. Plenty of space to sit! Lemme tell you all about Shado ...

Savage: Yeah, Maxwell *pats empty spot on bench* Lots of space for you too!

Maxwell: Nooo, thanks, guys. I'm good where I am. Winn's gonna take pass too -- right?

Winn: Umm ...

Maxwell: No no no, don't even think of joining the 'I cannot catch a break' club. There's no going back if you do.

Winn: Crap. See there's this love rectangle I'm in ...

Slade: Then you're halfway there, son. We're monogramming your clubhouse polo shirt as we speak.

Savage: Always space for you, Winn. It's only a matter of time.

Winn: That's what I'm afraid of. "

7/10

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                Not a knock on this episode in particular, but more of an overall observation: I don't get what Kara admires about Cat. Obviously as Supergirl she sees the best in people, but (imo) Cat doesn't have many endearing qualities. At least not to the point where Kara and Lucy (last week anyway) worship the ground she walks on.

Anyway, I thought this episode was a hit and miss. The Martian storyline was definitely the best part about it. I didn't expect the ground to have Mars flashbacks so well done in that area. On the other hand, the Adam storyline was a bit meh. Like others, I didn't appreciate Kara's involvement in it and I didn't find Adam particulary interesting. Especially if his main arc on the show is being a love interest for Kara, who already has enough on her plate as it is. It certainly isn't going to help her situation with Winn...

P.S. David Harewood delivered some of the best acting we've seen on the show all season.
                I think it may be due to the fact that Cat is a powerful woman who always speaks her mind no matter how many people she pisses off in the process.

For decades, women were always raised with the idea that they should never speak their minds too much, because otherwise people are going to see her as *****y, a nag, etc...... Basically, we were expected to sit there and act nice to everyone no matter how much they pissed us off. It can be very hard to break free of that conditioning....

So when we see somebody who doesn't give a **** about what society thinks she should be doing, etc.... then naturally women are going to admire her for that part... even if she does end up being a massive *****.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                  While Hank/MM's story was the most interesting one in this ep., it was also stacked with a hearty helping of melodrama. Cat's own subplot with Adam only has a marginal connection with anything Kara-related thanks to Kara's line-crossing in engineering that meeting. As much as she wants to help and is a giving person in nature, the situation between Cat and Adam is really none of her business. Add to that the introduction of a potential love rectangle and it could saturate more than few eps. with a lot of soapy suds -- and not all of it will be as relevant to Kara's Supergirl journey. (To be fair, I don't have much of an issue with Cat herself in this subplot, as I've grown to like her character and the role she plays in the series.) But yeah, the Cat-Adam (+Kara!) subplot may make juicy melodrama, ship-spawning ... but in terms of its link or importance to the alpha story arc -Supergirl's journey- it's flimsy.

If Winn's fate is to turn heel, then it would be very easy for them to serve the 'unrequited love' grievance as motivation for him -- though I really, really hope they don't go this well-traveled route (ie. Slade, Vandal Savage etc.) in driving someone to the dark side. Maybe it's just me but villains become "less" villainous when we find out that what drove them to evil was ..... they got their hearts stomped on/had their feelings hurt/can't catch a break in the romance department.

The love rectangle stuff makes me nervous re: how it unfolds for Winn, and in a big-picture sense for Kara and her journey.

It looks like Lord's own "supergirl" is online and out for a field test. Now he's one alpha-villain who seems to be on point with his plans (if he doesn't fall hard and fast for Alex). Won't exactly blame him if he does -- but his stock will drop if he does join that increasingly crowded bench of broken-hearted villains.

"Slade: C'mon over, Winn. Plenty of space to sit! Lemme tell you all about Shado ...

Maxwell: Nooo, thanks, guys. I'm good where I am. Winn's gonna take pass too -- right?

Maxwell: No no no, don't even think of joining the 'I cannot catch a break' club. There's no going back if you do.

Slade: Then you're halfway there, son. We're monogramming your clubhouse polo shirt as we speak.

7/10
                  I'm hoping that we can avoid this since its not the CW and therefore a teen melodrama series like Arrow and Flash. Yes, I made that horrible comment. Doesn't make it untrue, people... I'm actually waiting for Legends to join it. THat's why I'm liking Supergirl. But come on, shunt some of those suitors for Kara off on Alex....

Comment

7/10
                    Lmfao! I am loving that!

Comment

7/10
                      Make some room in there for Tommy Merlyn's ghost as well.

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                      I think it may be due to the fact that Cat is a powerful woman who always speaks her mind no matter how many people she pisses off in the process.

For decades, women were always raised with the idea that they should never speak their minds too much, because otherwise people are going to see her as *****y, a nag, etc...... Basically, we were expected to sit there and act nice to everyone no matter how much they pissed us off. It can be very hard to break free of that conditioning....

So when we see somebody who doesn't give a **** about what society thinks she should be doing, etc.... then naturally women are going to admire her for that part... even if she does end up being a massive *****.
                      Well, if Kara was looking for a powerful badass woman role model, her sister fits the bill better, imo. She doesn't need to look up to a woman who, for all her power and influence, is a flat out nasty and disrespectful person to be around.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                        Well, if Kara was looking for a powerful badass woman role model, her sister fits the bill better, imo. She doesn't need to look up to a woman who, for all her power and influence, is a flat out nasty and disrespectful person to be around.
                        Agreed. Although who's to say that a woman can't have more than one powerful female role model? There's some good to Cat Grant... Which they've been showing us lately with some of the character development they did for her. The ability to be able to speak your mind without caring what society thinks of you can be admirable in itself, and there's also the fact that some of her jaded life experience was helpful to Kara too.
                        You can learn from the good parts without having to take in the bad parts.

Alex have been highly invaluable in guiding Kara... but at times she's too much of a cheerleader and as her sister she can't really see Kara in an objective light. Alex can't ground Kara in humility, etc when she needs it.
                        So where Cat Grant comes in... she provides an stern grounding force... taking the wind out of Kara's sails when she got to be too full of herself, etc...

That was the role Lois Lane and Batman were for Superman. They were both his grounding forces... Lois Lane was somebody who inspired him but she wasn't afraid to speak her mind if she felt that Superman might had gone too far on certain things.
                        Batman was also not scared to kick Superman's ass or give him a reality check if he started to get full of himself. And that's why Superman trusted the two of them so much.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎