Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
    Kevin Smith lists the scenes that were reportedly cut from Zack Synder's version. Be mindful of some colorful language:

https://youtu.be/MU3-FDFM_wM?t=1h56m58s

Sigh. While it introduced a lot of characters, it sounds like a much better version that actually ties well to MoS and BvS. Especially in regards to Batman and Superman's trajectories. Imagine paying William Dafoe, Kevin Costner and Robin Wright to shoot scenes that you ultimately cut out.
    Last edited by costas22; 12-04-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    Kevin Smith lists the scenes that were reportedly cut from Zack Synder's version. Be mindful of some colorful language:

https://youtu.be/MU3-FDFM_wM?t=1h56m58s

Sigh. While it introduced a lot of characters, it sounds like a much better version that actually ties well to MoS and BvS. Especially in regards to Batman and Superman's trajectories. Imagine paying William Dafoe, Kevin Costner and Robin Wright to shoot scenes that you ultimately cut out.
    Sounds like a lot of cool scenes were cut out by Joss Whedon. I can't wait for the Ultimate Edition.

1) Darkseid destroying Stephenwolf.
    2) Green Lanterns showing up
    3) Deathstroke freeing Lex from prison
    4) More Atlantis scenes
    5) Lawrence Fishburne and Kevin Costner cameos.

Way better than say.........A child's video of asking Superman "what his favorite thing about Earth is?" That was left in.
    Last edited by Glove; 12-11-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Well, some time passed after I watched this. What can I say. I...liked it... Just enough to want to see more of these characters, except Batman, I'm suffering from Batman fatigue, much like most of Marvel heroes. Man of steel 2 please, with someone competent behind the camera this time please!?

Quote Originally Posted by Glove View Post
    1) Darkseid destroying Stephenwolf.
    I don't know if you deliberately called him STEPHENwolf or not, but that's hilarious either way.

Way better than say.........A child's video of asking Superman "what his favorite thing about Earth is?" That was left in.
    I liked the intention behind that scene. Whedon knew that audiences weren't going to buy that Superman's death had such a profound effect on the world. There wasn't enough of his heroics in MoS and BvS, or showing the world united behind him, to justify that kind of reaction. So, he tried to bring some of that in through the side door, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    I don't know if you deliberately called him STEPHENwolf or not, but that's hilarious either way.
    I don't read the comics and have no idea what the proper spelling of this character's name is. I glad that I could bring you some amusement.

Incurable Postaholic DA_Champion's Avatar
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    I would like to see Snyder's version if only because that movie might have a soul if even an ugly one. JL was very perfunctory, it was neither bad nor good. I enjoyed it like I might enjoy a burrito bowl from Chipotle, it's good but nothing special.

The only thing that kind of worked in this movie was Cyborg's character arc. I liked what they did with him but even that is a fail, as it leaves nowhere to go for the Cyborg origin film. I also don't get why we can't enjoy a moment. At the end of the movie, Cyborg gets a new, less ugly body which is the completion of his arc. Why is that scene only 0.50 seconds long? Why not revel in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Glove View Post
    I don't read the comics and have no idea what the proper spelling of this character's name is. I glad that I could bring you some amusement.
    Even though it was inadvertent, it just works because Steppenwolf was such a lame villain. Giving him a name like Stephen Wolf sounds like the perfect parody. Maybe his minions could be Karendemons. LOL

But I digress, to DA's point, I have no doubt Snyder's version would've at least felt like a more coherent whole, but we should remember that he was being dictated to from the get go. I'm not sure that even the other stuff he filmed would truly be HIS.

I would love to sit down with him and just talk about it. The making of JL is probably a better movie than the movie itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post

I liked the intention behind that scene. Whedon knew that audiences weren't going to buy that Superman's death had such a profound effect on the world. There wasn't enough of his heroics in MoS and BvS, or showing the world united behind him, to justify that kind of reaction. So, he tried to bring some of that in through the side door, as it were.
    very very good point, based on MOS and BvS there wasnt really a reason for people to be so morunful. I just wish the moustache thing hadnt been a thing, it looked completely ridiculous, I dont really know what he says in that scene, I was so distracted with the bad CGI, how did this get aproved out the door.

IMO, there was enough evidence in BvS to suggest why the world would mourn Superman so much. It's not like he was universally hated at any point. It seemed like people were split about him. And when he sacrificed himself to stop Doomsday, even his detractors warmed up to him.

Anyway, the digitally removed moustache is really distracting. I didn't even recognize Henry during that opening scene. He also looks weird during the "Do you bleed" scene, but I don't know if he also shot that closeup during the rehoots or if it's just an awkward expression on his part. They shouldn't have even bothered, I feel. They just invited further mockery on themselves with the moustache thing. Snyder shot enough scenes with Cavill for the narrative Whedon wanted to tell.

I think there was enough cause for people to respect and honor his death but not to mourn him, the level of sorrow they showed was for a hero close to their hearts, not one that won them over with his ultimate sacrifice, it looked like they were mourning someone they had learned to depend on and see as one of their own, this Superman never showed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-ed View Post
    I think there was enough cause for people to respect and honor his death but not to mourn him, the level of sorrow they showed was for a hero close to their hearts, not one that won them over with his ultimate sacrifice, it looked like they were mourning someone they had learned to depend on and see as one of their own, this Superman never showed that.
    This I agree with. BVS showed too much of Superman-the-Supermenace as seen from Batman's viewpoint as opposed to showing us more of Superman-the-Superhero. the story was far too unbalanced in showing both sides of the coin. I think they really needed a few scenes showing Superman actually saving lives (that's unrelated to battling doomsday) and being a nice guy to humans in general to show us that while Batman had a vaild reason for fearing Superman, that Superman was more than just a SuperMenace.

In fact... as awesome as Batman's futuristic dream sequence was, they could had taken that out and put in scenes from Superman's viewpoint where he was saving lives, and even rescuing kitty from a tree for a little girl. Sure, some of that might had ruined the grimdark and overly serious tone of the movie... but I feel that something like that is needed.

They did show Superman saving lives and people treating him as someone they've learned to rely on:

No denying that the cons against Superman were explored a lot in BVS (more so than the pros at times), but that doesn't mean he wasn't portrayed to be the Superman he should be. Or that we didn't see people treating him as a savior, even before the Doomsday fight.
    Last edited by costas22; 01-03-2018 at 01:44 AM.

They did show Superman saving lives and people treating him as someone they've learned to rely on:

No denying that the cons against Superman were explored a lot in BVS (more so than the pros at times), but that doesn't mean he wasn't portrayed to be the Superman he should be. Or that we didn't see people treating him as a savior, even before the Doomsday fight.
    I always took that scene as humans seeing Superman as some sort of God rather than an superhero, though. Look at the worshipful way they treated him. That video clip just added even more to Batman's (and Lex Luthor's) arguement that one man(alien) shouldn't ever be seen a god, espeically with how dangerous he was.

That's very different than showing things from Superman's view of point. The movie actually never showed anything from Superman's view of point, save for the scenes with Lois.... and even then that didn't exactly count because they seemed to be from Lois Lane's viewpoint.

Take the example in BvS of Superman saving the people from the burning building. The people all around him in the crowd reach out to him almost like he's a prophet/god.

Now look at the helicopter scene in the first Reeve Superman film, where the crowds cheer him. Take the scene in Superman II where all of Metropolis takes up arms to fight the Kryptonians who they think killed Superman. It's like a rally. Take the scene in Superman IV (an admittedly awful film) where Superman addresses the UN, where representatives from every country in the world vouch for him and then cheer for him when he finishes his speech.

The argument can be made that we're just looking at tonally different examples, and that in context, the example from BvS is the same thing. But I would disagree with that argument.

it may sound rude but I swear I am trying to make a point: I didnt need to be reminded of those scenes, I had them present when I made my point, I am not saying he wasnt seen as a hero, even before Doomsday, but the farewall and following sorrow would be more fitting for the Superman from the comics, a guy that will stop an addict from taking a shot of heroine in a dark alley, a superhero who would talk down a suicidal kid, a Superman who would ocassionally fly down a school and talk to kids about fire hazards or something like that, basically the guy that appeared in the weird CGI mouth scene, a people´s hero, not a demi-god saving lives, dont know if I am explaining myself well. In fact I am glad you posted that because that video although it showed him being a hero, its also plagued with people questioning him, his motives, his place in the world and if he even had one, it showed a relatively split society on the issue.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast