View Poll Results: What did you think?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Debts of gratitude for the Arrow writers

    4 26.67%
  • 9

    1 6.67%
  • 8

    2 13.33%
  • 7

    0 0%
  • 6

    5 33.33%
  • 5

    1 6.67%
  • 4

    0 0%
  • 3

    0 0%
  • 2

    0 0%
  • 1 - Bloody bad

    2 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Burbank, CA by way of Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,890

    Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Blood Debts?"

    What did you think?

  2. #2
    Board Master
    Join Date
    Dec 10
    Posts
    2,754
    Oliver almost became a villain and they had to be toying with those who hated the Oliver/ Felicity relationship with that ending. The grave is either Diggle's or Detective Lance's.

  3. #3
    Site Groupie President_Luthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Posts
    3,028
    Some early impressions:

    While I can understand Ollie's motivations for slipping into S1 Hood mode -- he wants payback for Darkh's hurting Felicity, his fiancee no less -- it took a whole lot of suspension of disbelief that he would not only slip back into old habits as easily as he did ... but that he would also urge the rest of the team to go along with his rampage and not expect them to raise legitimate concerns that he's too amped up to see things clearly and think things through. Not to mention his inexplicable stalling in visiting Felicity during a time when, yeah, he should be by her side. His "justification": Darkh's in the wind and we have to catch him pronto is wafer-thin, compared to, I don't know, his duty to his fiancee. Even though Felicity was remarkably understanding -- I didn't have too much of an issue with their scenes at the hospital and anything Quentin-Donna is comedic gold at this point .... and it's needed levity while Ollie tries to emerge (again) from the darkness.

    Ollie urging Diggle to basically beat the truth out of Andy, his own brother, did not sit well with me at all. It was another big suspension of disbelief that Diggle would so easily do it. As usual, it took Lyla to cajole him into doing what he had to do -- to reach out as a brother instead of as Team Arrow's impromptu interrogator. Diggle came around to a more sensible viewpoint by the end, but as usual it was framed more around Ollie not losing those things that made Felicity fall in love with him. Yeah, yeah we get it, he's Olicity's main spear-carrier -- and Ollie is allegedly a broken and directionless man without Felicity's love and support and without her he's a soulless vigilante bent on retribution.

    While I can accept that Ollie found himself in a darker place after the attack on Felicity and understand that seeking out Darkh was his way to funnel his anger at not being able to protect Felicity, dragging Diggle and the rest of the team into that darkness too as a means to an end was simply not cool.

    Let's call a spade a spade: for much of the episode, Ollie came off as a world-class dick with everyone on the team. The recent tragedy might explain his rampage and behaviour, but it's poor excuse for it when he knows they have his back. Invoking Sara's post-Pit craziness as a cheap verbal barb during Laurel's reasonable discussion about maybe dialing down his rampaging ways and not losing himself was another low for him.

    Quentin's line: "So you're dropping bodies again?" (fyi that may not be word for word) was totally apt ... because it makes sense that he's be surprised that Ollie so quickly reverted to Hood mode -- no matter how "right" it may feel to him.

    I'm not that invested in the Thea-Alex stuff, but I'm still convinced that the more Alex shows up -- the worse it'll be for his survival beyond the season finale.

    While it was cool to see them use Anarky, his place in this story just seemed off. And it didn't really make that much sense that Ollie wouldn't go full-throttle on Darkh when he had him in his grasp. The guy nearly killed your future wife -- his less-than-ruthless battle with him sort of undercut all the "by any means necessary" stuff he was pushing for much of the episode. I'm assuming his saving Darkh's family was inserted just to give Darkh a reason for not cutting up all of Team Arrow into shreds for a few weeks.

    As for the graveyard flash-forward teases, it was obviously not going to be Felicity --her appearing in the limo with Ollie essentially put that to rest-- so that non-surprise turned out to be an unsurprising reveal. It looks like this mystery will be stretched out for the rest of the season. I still have no idea, even with "Limo" Felicity urging Ollie to kill whoever it was that put whoever it was in the ground. It's someone they both care about, which means just about anybody on the team, extended family, etc.

    There was surprisingly more action-driven sequences in this ep., when I was fully expecting an Olicity-driven melodrama buffet. There's some of that still in this ep., but not to the degree it could have been -- a plus for me.

    And now that they've blatantly stated the grave scene occurs four months from now, we won't know who until nearly the season finale in the spring. It was an entertaining, if narratively disjointed, mid-season premiere. And slightly better overall than Flash's own mid-season one (which was heavier on the melodrama front) in my books.

  4. #4
    Posting Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    Some where in the Untied States
    Posts
    1,286
    A enjoyable episode. I more of felt like watching an actual Arrow episode and it's been a long while since I've felt that. Also not having LoT set up and that mid season break actually allowed me to come in with a semi fresh start. I'm probably just going to touch on a few things here.

    Now the for the obvious flash forward, I'll get to in a bit.

    1. yea Oliver The Hood is back. Even wanting to kill or at least just Darhk, works for me. He was breaking bones and using people. Oliver's actually become interesting again since having a bit of an edge. Which is another reason why I for me it probably felt more of like an actual Arrow episode.

    2., I thought with Laurel once done with being shackled to the LoT set up she would get back to being likeable. I guess we can add massive hypocrite to her role now considering of her lecturing Oliver about the stuff he did and she's never done similar? I really hope they don't have her keep this up because it's a little annoying. Not even sticking true to the character of going to dark places which she has gone to and proven for sure in this season with the whole Sara return thing.

    3. The flashbacks they are getting real good. Also it was neat having a darker Oliver in the flashbacks match up with present day. Yea, we finale have gotten answer for those whip slashes on Oliver's back, it's about time. I actually think that might wrap up all of Oliver's scars besides his burns on his lower back and I'll just head canon that Slade gave him those in season 2.

    Also I was a little disappointed if that's all Oliver's tattoo did. Sure it got Retier to keep him alive but it feels lacking. I hope there's more to it.

    Plus we got to see the prison that Yao Fei was in. I have the feeling it's going to be the Supermax one day.

    I have the feeling Oliver and Taiana's partnership will come to a end. I'm guessing the flashback special considering that's usually when stuff goes nuts.

    4. Well no worries about Darhk having a family making him softer. His wife's worse then him and that's saying something.

    5. The flash forward. Ok I'm actually not even that upset that Felicity's not in the grave considering I discovered something. First, so much for any Olicty's fans claims that she's Oliver's light after seeing her want Oliver to kill somebody. Also the tension in that car was very high and no ring on Felicity's finger. That means only one thing break up because they are not together anymore. Considering that CW doesn't let their characters be happy though the series well I'm not going to be complaining if I'm correct.

    I'd say Arrow kind of more feels like it's getting back to it's roots.

  5. #5
    Posting Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 11
    Posts
    1,876
    1. Oliver back in Hood form. Sorry, but I missed this and I'm glad to see him back. Like Haggard, to me, this felt like an actual Arrow episode again. I think I might start watching live again.

    2. The flashbacks were done well, and the prison scene solved a puzzle in my head since I saw Shado/Mei in the Hood with a bow in the trailer. The location didn't look like anywhere on the Island we'd seen and I doubted they would have whoever it is show up in the present. The prison railing is what is in front of Shado/Mei in the trailer.

    3. I actually liked how they handled Felicity's scenes in this. Not only did they really make her seem like someone who was recovering in a hospital from a near-death experience, but also she was more like the Felicity I actually care about. The one who tries to keep Oliver from going too overboard but also recognizes their work sometimes means taking a dark turn.

    4. Darhk's wife is absolutely guano insane. The thing about this conversation is they say 'a few weeks'. That means right around Episode 15/16. I'll share more on this in the Speculation thread later.

    5. As Haggard said, the way the flash forward was handled definitely suggests things will continue down the darker path and the Olicity relationship, at least for the time being, will be blown wide open by the end of the season. Unless the absence of the ring was just a brain fart by their production team filming that scene, its a definite that will happen.

    6. I took Diggle beating on Andy differently than President_Luthor. I didn't get the impression that Oliver told Diggle to beat Andy up. I got the impression Diggle, mad about Felicity, was taking out his own aggression while also having a talk with his brother about Darhk.

    All in all, I give this an 8/10. Felt more like an Arrow episode. The storyline was kind of meh in that it was predictable, but it was set up well enough in my opinion, and there was character development in some arenas (mainly Thea).

  6. #6
    Board Master Dagenspear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 11
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggard01 View Post
    2., I thought with Laurel once done with being shackled to the LoT set up she would get back to being likeable. I guess we can add massive hypocrite to her role now considering of her lecturing Oliver about the stuff he did and she's never done similar?
    She hasn't actually held a psychopath hostage for information.
    I really hope they don't have her keep this up because it's a little annoying. Not even sticking true to the character of going to dark places which she has gone to and proven for sure in this season with the whole Sara return thing.
    Which isn't the same as doing anything that Oliver's doing. She was right. Oliver was in the wrong with what he was doing. He showed that by breaking Anarky out of jail.

    God bless you! God bless everyone!

  7. #7
    It's the mileage... costas22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    76,262
    Damn, you try to like an episode that actually shows promise and they just won't let you. That's the best way to describe "Blood Debts".

    The good:
    - Most of the scenes between the Diggles. Only one rubbed me the wrong way, but more of that later on.
    - Lyla. She's a really underrated character, imo. Unlike other female characters on this show, she somes across as an actual person and isn't overly dramatic.
    - Anarky had a decent episode. Liked him more here than I did the first time.
    - Oliver's scenes in the hospital with Felicity. This was one of those rare occasions where I really enjoyed the scenes between those two. Very well acted by both Stephen and Emily.
    - The flashbacks.

    The not so good:
    - Felicity's tragic predicament is no excuse for some of the actions we saw from Oliver and Diggle in this episode. They don't need to emphasize Felicity's importance to this show by having those two act like crazed maniacs out for revenge. John beating up his brother (after holding him illegaly in a cage for God knows how many weeks) was bad enough. But Oliver willing to torture Anarky and then set him loose to kill Darhk (and anyone else in the way as it turned out) was preposterous. Both Oliver and Diggle have dealt with loss before. They should have been able to keep a cooler head.
    - So Felicity is better than both the Diggles and better than all of Team Arrow. Ease up on the butt kissing, show. Jeez.
    - Just a nitpick, but the editing of the show could have been better. They clearly cut a scene between Alex and Thea and you could tell because the first time we see then on screen together, you have no idea what they're talking about.
    - Again, not a big fan of the fight scenes. Especially the one between Anarky, Oliver and Thea made no sense and it felt more like a poor attempt to show off Anarky's fancy new weapon. Which actually looked like hindering him the way he used it.
    - The flashforward. Not that I hated it. It's just that by revealing Felicity survives, now it's almost certain they'll kill off a character I care about. On the plus side, the scene leaves us with a number of questions about Felicity's health, about her engagement with Oliver, about who they're talking about, etc.

    6.5/10.

  8. #8
    Forum Whiz
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Posts
    748
    That episode was ok. The acting was good for the most part except for Stephen Amell when Oliver was being whipped and was in "pain". And also Charlotte Ross when Donna was explaining to Oliver that Felicity wouldn't be able to walk again. The writing was also atrocious in that scene.

    The writers were as subtle as a brick when explaining how Felicity was so "strong" throughout the entire episode. Sadly Felicity won't be the one in the grave. Although she was mostly ok this episode.

    Damien and his wife were intriguing. Maybe she will turn out to be an important DC character?

    Anarchy was cool.

  9. #9
    Let's Write!
    Join Date
    Jan 16
    Posts
    96
    My only real issue with this episode was Oliver's releasing of Anarky cause that has the very real potential for a lot of bad things to happen.

  10. #10
    Site Groupie President_Luthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Posts
    3,028
    Yeah, releasing Anarky to be his Darkh bloodhound is pretty hard to defend. In the context of Ollie wanting to do whatever it takes, it might make sense to Ollie in a brutal ends justify means way -- but if even one innocent was hurt or harmed, that would fall on Ollie's shoulders alone, no matter how many times he would have bleated: "I did it all for Felicity!".

    I don't necessarily object to Ollie taking matters into his own hands -- GA has never been cut from the same cloth of heroism as say, a Superman or Captain America -- it's just the context around his motivation for doing so, as if without Felicity he's nothing but a remorseless killing machine.

    His biting the heads off anyone who dared to question his methods is related to this, but for me it's more of my irritation with being a total putz with his team. You're hurting and angry and you want retribution, I get it, Ollie. Still, they're your team-mates and -- news flash -- you can't give orders to them like back in the old days.

    They have thrown subtlety to the wind with all things Olicity and, while I get that they want to drive home the point that his actions are due to proving (like a hammer on an anvil) the importance of Felicity to him and his mission, it's all a bit hard to digest for viewers who can't fathom that Ollie/Arrow was a listless automaton devoid of motivation or scruples before she entered his life. (Are they saying Diggle, Thea, Sara, Laurel -- heck, Shado, Yao Fei etc. didn't have a part in redeeming him too?) Sure, he was a broken man, could not have continued on that path, and Felicity did play a part in bringing Ollie back. But the way they keep force-feeding it esp in this ep. is too much.

    They might not have to do this stuff -- had they written Felicity with sufficient (non-ship related) character development to begin with.

    Ollie might not have ordered Diggle to beat up his brother for intel, but the way he was pressuring him on it ... he may as well have. Diggle being so willing to acquiesce -- and then justifying it because it's for Felicity -- was unpalatable. The issue here is not so much that Ollie went to the dark side -- he has more than enough reason to -- it's that a) he'd get Diggle to cross over into unscrupulous turf, and that b) Diggle would so easily cross over. Thank God for Lyla, who again proves that she has the sense in the family.

    What was surprising is that Ollie and Felicity's scenes were actually okay and not the problem. It was all the circumstantial stuff surrounding it re: ham-fisted Olicity reinforcing, both with Ollie using it as his (more understandable) justification for going back to Hood mode and Diggle using it as his (lame) one. Subtlety would go a long way, but that broken record's been playing for awhile now.

    It looks like Darkh's wife wanted Ollie dead, like, yesterday. Which I didn't expect.

    So Felicity doesn't have a ring on it in the limo. This, and the apparent chill between them -- they're not exactly comforting each other. Things that make you go: hmmm.

    I think from a viewer's perspective, having Ollie save Darkh's family would supposedly make all the sketchier Hood-like things he did look 'less bad' to us eg. jail-breaking Anarky and "dropping bodies". I'm not sure the writers were as convincing on this front. Ollie still looks bad. He wouldn't have needed to rescue Darkh's family, if he didn't release Anarky to begin with.

    And considering that Ollie was hell-bent on retribution, while I can buy that Darkh would spare him due to Ollie saving his family -- maybe I missed something, but is it as believable that Ollie would just go along with this momentary truce too, after spending 3/4ths of the ep. in uncompromising Hood mode?

  11. #11
    Forum Whiz Amarice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    827
    I liked the episode the more than I thought. I have no problem with Oliver slipping back into the Hood mode, since from a very long time they finally addressed some of his mental health issues, and it fits to the fact that he suffers from PTSD. I'll not elaborate on this here, but that rapid change in his behavor is typical for this disorder. Actually him beating the crap out of the Ghosts, releasing Anarky and him having an argument with Laurel and Dig about his choices gave "Arrow" a bit of a harder edge I was missing. Not everything is black or white, what happened here was shown in more grayish shades.

    Flashback scenes were okay, Anarky was creepy, Lance is still alive (that's good). Some nice scenes with Laurel and Thea, and intriguing coversation between Darhk and his wife. There were some plotholes (as always), but I just skip them over - yeah, Darhk's and Green Arrow's truce seems just strange (how it can work?). As for the grave mystery... Maybe they are attempting to suggest that Donna is the one in it (still think that Quentin is going to die, just at another point in time). And it was totally uncessary telling half a dozen times that Felicity is better than both Diggles/the team etc. But paring stuff was kept to the minimum in this episode, which I always take as a good sign. Suprise, surprise, Olicity scenes were done fine for me. I can take them in this amount.

  12. #12
    New In Town
    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Posts
    20
    I like Anarky's crush on Thea. It's just crazy enough that it makes sense. Alex's relationship with Thea is rather a snoozefest but worse, it ping pongs between Thea telling him she can't see him because of her issues to her inviting him over for drinks & more.

    When the producers were talking about Anarky at the start of the season and how they've never created a supervillain from scratch on this show before (Slade anyone?) and then he disappeared after one episode. I thought Is that all there is? Good to know he'll be back for more episodes because of Oliver's bone-headed decision.

    Wow, as bad as Damien Darhk is, his wife is worse. I didn't see that one coming except for the fact that I saw that it was Janet Kidder in the role in the Christmas episode.

    While I love Lyla, the fact that her talk with Diggle caused him to do a 180 with Andy had me rolling my eyes.

    I think the writers and the actors enjoyed the opportunity to return Oliver to his s1 killing machine for a while. It was stupid for him to release Anarky and damn the consequences but Oliver is often stupid if his team (primarily Diggle and Felicity) isn't there to talk him down. This is what happens when they're not.

    I agree with Amarice that Oliver's actions were typical of someone with PTSD, including not visiting Felicity in the hospital. He couldn't just sit by her bedside, he had to go out and do things to fix it, break things, break people, make things right they only way he can. Felicity was the only one who understood that, while everyone else, rightly, kept telling him he needs to go and be with her. They really are writing Felicity as being the right woman for Oliver -- along with Diggle she encouraged him to move beyond his father's notebook, she was the one stayed with the Team when Oliver quit over the summer, she understands his need to be active instead of waiting in the hospital hallway for her. I know they will break up sometime for some reason between now and the funeral because this is a TV show and no one is allowed to stay happy for long but I'm enjoying the adultness of their relationship.

    I was expecting the death to be in 4x18 or 4x19 but with the "four months in the future", it's got to be 4x20 or later. This show usually compresses the last three episodes into one day so I'm putting my money on death in 4x19, funeral at the start of 4x20.

    More evidence that the glowing tattoo from Constantine is going to be something that defeats Reiter by the end of the season flashbacks. Nice to see the Chinese prison Yao Fei talked about but it's not ARGUS' supermax because this was above ground and ARGUS' is deep below. I still don't care about the flashbacks though, there's nothing gripping about them because by now I know Oliver is going to get out and end up on the island again in s5.

  13. #13
    Posting Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    Some where in the Untied States
    Posts
    1,286
    Quote Originally Posted by katakombs View Post
    I like Anarky's crush on Thea. It's just crazy enough that it makes sense. Alex's relationship with Thea is rather a snoozefest but worse, it ping pongs between Thea telling him she can't see him because of her issues to her inviting him over for drinks & more.

    When the producers were talking about Anarky at the start of the season and how they've never created a supervillain from scratch on this show before (Slade anyone?) and then he disappeared after one episode. I thought Is that all there is? Good to know he'll be back for more episodes because of Oliver's bone-headed decision.

    Wow, as bad as Damien Darhk is, his wife is worse. I didn't see that one coming except for the fact that I saw that it was Janet Kidder in the role in the Christmas episode.

    While I love Lyla, the fact that her talk with Diggle caused him to do a 180 with Andy had me rolling my eyes.

    I think the writers and the actors enjoyed the opportunity to return Oliver to his s1 killing machine for a while. It was stupid for him to release Anarky and damn the consequences but Oliver is often stupid if his team (primarily Diggle and Felicity) isn't there to talk him down. This is what happens when they're not.

    I agree with Amarice that Oliver's actions were typical of someone with PTSD, including not visiting Felicity in the hospital. He couldn't just sit by her bedside, he had to go out and do things to fix it, break things, break people, make things right they only way he can. Felicity was the only one who understood that, while everyone else, rightly, kept telling him he needs to go and be with her. They really are writing Felicity as being the right woman for Oliver -- along with Diggle she encouraged him to move beyond his father's notebook, she was the one stayed with the Team when Oliver quit over the summer, she understands his need to be active instead of waiting in the hospital hallway for her. I know they will break up sometime for some reason between now and the funeral because this is a TV show and no one is allowed to stay happy for long but I'm enjoying the adultness of their relationship.

    I was expecting the death to be in 4x18 or 4x19 but with the "four months in the future", it's got to be 4x20 or later. This show usually compresses the last three episodes into one day so I'm putting my money on death in 4x19, funeral at the start of 4x20.

    More evidence that the glowing tattoo from Constantine is going to be something that defeats Reiter by the end of the season flashbacks. Nice to see the Chinese prison Yao Fei talked about but it's not ARGUS' supermax because this was above ground and ARGUS' is deep below. I still don't care about the flashbacks though, there's nothing gripping about them because by now I know Oliver is going to get out and end up on the island again in s5.
    Agree with the whole stupidity of Alex and Thea being a pin pog match.

    I actually read in an interview about when talking about creating Anarky they used Slade as an example.

    With Lyla I was actually wondering if maybe she would more of say that due to being an ex ARGUS operative.

    For the Constantine I'm still scratching my head and trying to figure out what it's for? I mean I'm hoping it has a bigger purpose then just to glow and the thing reminds me to much of a get of jail plot device card.

    Um, it still might be a different section of the ARGUS Supermax because I noticed a latter in the far back when they were entering the facility. So, I'd say it's underground.

  14. #14
    Posting Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    Some where in the Untied States
    Posts
    1,286
    Quote Originally Posted by katakombs View Post
    I like Anarky's crush on Thea. It's just crazy enough that it makes sense. Alex's relationship with Thea is rather a snoozefest but worse, it ping pongs between Thea telling him she can't see him because of her issues to her inviting him over for drinks & more.

    When the producers were talking about Anarky at the start of the season and how they've never created a supervillain from scratch on this show before (Slade anyone?) and then he disappeared after one episode. I thought Is that all there is? Good to know he'll be back for more episodes because of Oliver's bone-headed decision.

    Wow, as bad as Damien Darhk is, his wife is worse. I didn't see that one coming except for the fact that I saw that it was Janet Kidder in the role in the Christmas episode.

    While I love Lyla, the fact that her talk with Diggle caused him to do a 180 with Andy had me rolling my eyes.

    I think the writers and the actors enjoyed the opportunity to return Oliver to his s1 killing machine for a while. It was stupid for him to release Anarky and damn the consequences but Oliver is often stupid if his team (primarily Diggle and Felicity) isn't there to talk him down. This is what happens when they're not.

    I agree with Amarice that Oliver's actions were typical of someone with PTSD, including not visiting Felicity in the hospital. He couldn't just sit by her bedside, he had to go out and do things to fix it, break things, break people, make things right they only way he can. Felicity was the only one who understood that, while everyone else, rightly, kept telling him he needs to go and be with her. They really are writing Felicity as being the right woman for Oliver -- along with Diggle she encouraged him to move beyond his father's notebook, she was the one stayed with the Team when Oliver quit over the summer, she understands his need to be active instead of waiting in the hospital hallway for her. I know they will break up sometime for some reason between now and the funeral because this is a TV show and no one is allowed to stay happy for long but I'm enjoying the adultness of their relationship.

    I was expecting the death to be in 4x18 or 4x19 but with the "four months in the future", it's got to be 4x20 or later. This show usually compresses the last three episodes into one day so I'm putting my money on death in 4x19, funeral at the start of 4x20.

    More evidence that the glowing tattoo from Constantine is going to be something that defeats Reiter by the end of the season flashbacks. Nice to see the Chinese prison Yao Fei talked about but it's not ARGUS' supermax because this was above ground and ARGUS' is deep below. I still don't care about the flashbacks though, there's nothing gripping about them because by now I know Oliver is going to get out and end up on the island again in s5.
    Agree with the whole stupidity of Alex and Thea being a pin pog match.

    I actually read in an interview about when talking about creating Anarky they used Slade as an example.

    With Lyla I was actually wondering if maybe she would more of say that due to being an ex ARGUS operative.

    For the Constantine I'm still scratching my head and trying to figure out what it's for? I mean I'm hoping it has a bigger purpose then just to glow and the thing reminds me to much of a get of jail plot device card.

    Um, it still might be a different section of the ARGUS Supermax because I noticed a latter in the far back when they were entering the facility. So, I'd say it's underground. I think the whole thing why so many people are not enjoying the flashbacks anymore is because season 1 and 2 flashbacks were progressing Oliver along to being The Hood and then season 3 they slowed to a standstill. Now they are trying to pick up speed but I think the only way the flashbacks are going to kick up again is if they turn Oliver fully into The Hood.

  15. #15
    Forum Whiz Amarice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    While I can understand Ollie's motivations for slipping into S1 Hood mode -- he wants payback for Darkh's hurting Felicity, his fiancee no less -- it took a whole lot of suspension of disbelief that he would not only slip back into old habits as easily as he did ... but that he would also urge the rest of the team to go along with his rampage and not expect them to raise legitimate concerns that he's too amped up to see things clearly and think things through. Not to mention his inexplicable stalling in visiting Felicity during a time when, yeah, he should be by her side. His "justification": Darkh's in the wind and we have to catch him pronto is wafer-thin, compared to, I don't know, his duty to his fiancee. Even though Felicity was remarkably understanding -- I didn't have too much of an issue with their scenes at the hospital and anything Quentin-Donna is comedic gold at this point .... and it's needed levity while Ollie tries to emerge (again) from the darkness.

    Ollie urging Diggle to basically beat the truth out of Andy, his own brother, did not sit well with me at all. It was another big suspension of disbelief that Diggle would so easily do it. As usual, it took Lyla to cajole him into doing what he had to do -- to reach out as a brother instead of as Team Arrow's impromptu interrogator. Diggle came around to a more sensible viewpoint by the end, but as usual it was framed more around Ollie not losing those things that made Felicity fall in love with him. Yeah, yeah we get it, he's Olicity's main spear-carrier -- and Ollie is allegedly a broken and directionless man without Felicity's love and support and without her he's a soulless vigilante bent on retribution.
    I bolded the last sentence, because this is probably what they wanted to show BUT, I guess more by accident than anything else, in this one episode Ollie acts exactly like a person who suffers from PTSD. Since being the Hood was his way to deal with his trauma after the sland, he slipped back in that mode instantly. Avoiding/drifting from the person, who is right now the closest to him, Felicity, also fits, as well as pushing away friends/family and lashing out at them. Since Ollie had never had any actual treatment, it's quite probable that his Hood-mode can reappear so suddenly, and he can again suffer all the symptoms.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haggard01 View Post
    The flashbacks they are getting real good. Also it was neat having a darker Oliver in the flashbacks match up with present day. Yea, we finale have gotten answer for those whip slashes on Oliver's back, it's about time. I actually think that might wrap up all of Oliver's scars besides his burns on his lower back and I'll just head canon that Slade gave him those in season 2.
    I remember that you called those whip slashes in the discussion under 4x09. It was a good guess, as it turns out!

    As for the burns on his lower back I always thought that those might be from the early season 2, when the crew from the freighter was shooting to Slade and Oliver, when their rushed to the aid of Shado.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •