Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also announced today is that episode 9's release date has been pushed back from 5/24/2019 to 12/20/2019.

This delay was probably much needed considering the changes that have happened during pre production. Shooting originally was set to begin in January, which means the script had to be finalized in a rushed manner. Now they have more time to-hopefully-come up with a good story.

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
    Abrams directing is a good thing.

Abrams writing is a bad thing.

This should be interesting.
    I'm intrigued by Chris Terrio's role in this. If Abrams just comes up with the story and Terrio writes the screenplay, then it might work for the best. People seem to be confused by Terrio. He was praised for Argo, but he also bore part of the blame for BvS. I feel he can come up with a pretty coherent screenplay. After that, it all hinges on what Abrams makes if it as director.
    Last edited by costas22; 09-12-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
      Also announced today is that episode 9's release date has been pushed back from 5/24/2019 to 12/20/2019.
      This now means that there will be a battle for the December 2019 Box Office with the Wonder Woman sequel being released just a week prior to Episode IX.

I don't know which will flinch first and move their release date but, my money would be on Wonder Woman; SW is just on another level that no other movie can touch.

Comment

You know, I'm not sure I entirely get why people don't like JJ Adams writing. I've seen stuff from his Star Treck, to Star Wars and Person of Interest, and this dislike just doesn't make much sense to me.

I've seen both his Star Treck films and I enjoy Star Wars Force Awakens without much issue. Really the only gripe I have with Star Treck into darkness off the top of my head, is he brought back the original Spock to basically explain how to defeat Kahn.

Force Awakens, eh I get why people dislike the Starkiller base and compare it to the Death Star. That doesn't bother me all that much and not like the Empire isn't known for their love of planet destroying weapons. Really the only reason we even got a second Death Star is because Lucas had blown up the first one and instead of choosing to do something different just decided to build a second one to blow up yet again.

Yeah I know they are called the First Order but guess growing up it will always be the Empire and Rebels to me.

For me JJ Adams brought back Star Treck and Star Wars from the dead and updated them properly for a new Generation without screwing it up. That I give the guy credit for. Kind of ironically I think I've got bigger issues with George Lucas then I do JJ Adams.

Comment

JJ Abrams' writing tends to be charismatic and fast-paced, which somewhat covers up for the fact that it also tends to be derivative with large plot holes. It has more personality than genuine emotional resonance. It feels natural because he's excellent with dialogue, but often falls short the more you think about it.

As a relatively minor example of what I'm talking about, remember how he had Leia hug Rey instead of Chewie at the end of TFA? A larger example would be how Spock screamed like an out of control maniac when Kirk died at the end of Into Darkness. Were either of those emotional beats truly earned? Did they make you cry? Did they make you feel the same way as Spock dying did in Wrath of Khan?

JJ's characters all feel real, but there's a deeper emotional connection he never quite achieves in order to truly earn those moments, despite them being there. It's almost like watching strangers cry. You believe they're sad, but you don't always feel their sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggard01
            For me JJ Adams brought back Star Treck and Star Wars from the dead and updated them properly for a new Generation without screwing it up. That I give the guy credit for. Kind of ironically I think I've got bigger issues with George Lucas then I do JJ Adams.
            That's not unusual. I think there are people out there who have more issues with Lucas than they do with their dysfunctional parents. For me, Lucas deserves criticism for the shortcomings of the prequels, but he deserves more praise for the size and popularity of this franchise. The creation and expansion of the SW universe over the past 40 years is why it's so popular to this day. Which is why I would respectfully disagree that JJ brought it back from the dead. IMO a 7th movie (especially with Han, Luke and Leia back) would have been highly successful no matter who was at the helm.

Anyway, I wouldn't say JJ's writing lacks in general. After all, he wrote Regarding Henry which is a terrific movie, IMO. But for whatever reason, the way he wrote (or co-wrote, to be fair) TFA left him open to criticism. It was just way too similar to A New Hope, among other things. BG's point about the emotional beats is also valid and I would just add that his handling of Kylo Ren wasn't the greatest. Nothing wrong with a villain not being the finished article, but when he's so petulant that he draws laughs from the audience, something has gone very wrong.

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
            This now means that there will be a battle for the December 2019 Box Office with the Wonder Woman sequel being released just a week prior to Episode IX.

I don't know which will flinch first and move their release date but, my money would be on Wonder Woman; SW is just on another level that no other movie can touch.
            My money would be on WW as well. In a way it's become the DCEU's flagship, so they want to give it every chance of succeeding. Plus, no one would make a big deal out of the change, seeing as DCEU movies get moved around all the time.
            Last edited by costas22; 09-12-2017, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
              Abrams to write and direct Episode IX:

Not sure how original his script will be, but at least there will some continuity within the trilogy.
              Remake of Return of the Jedi, another Death Star, Ewoks........
              JJ has no imagination. Examples-Star Trek Into Crap, er, Darkness and The Force Awakens. How many more
              franchises can he just remake a classic and a majority of the fans call it great?!?
              I guess that I'm done with Star Wars. Thanks, Kathleen and Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                I mean... How interesting was Palpatine in Jedi? He was just this evil old dude who shot lightning out of his hands. Vader didn't even get too compelling until ESB. It sounds like you're going in with your mind made up. There will be plenty of time to complain about this thing after we see it.
                Emperor Palpatine got his introduction in the prequels which would have been made in 1977 had George Lucas had the technology to do what he wanted. Snoke will have no such introduction unless Disney makes Episodes VI 1/4, VI 1/2, and VI 3/4.

Comment

Originally posted by Glove
                  Emperor Palpatine got his introduction in the prequels which would have been made in 1977 had George Lucas had the technology to do what he wanted. Snoke will have no such introduction unless Disney makes Episodes VI 1/4, VI 1/2, and VI 3/4.
                  You're missing or ignoring the point. The OT didn't suffer from Palpatine being an underdeveloped mustache-twirler because his backstory was irrelevant to that story. If the prequels had never been made, we wouldn't be complaining that the Emperor ruined ROTJ.

Comment

Keri Russell (The Americans, Felicity) is in early talks to join the film.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...ll-1202861343/

Comment

Lando Calrissian himself Billy Dee Williams will be back for this next episode.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ian-xi-1125818

Comment

They haven't killed off enough characters of the Original Trilogy already?

Comment

I'm nervously excited for Lando returning but still have no clue what he or anyone else will be doing.

Comment

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX CAST ANNOUNCED
                            RETURNING AND NEW CAST MEMBERS WILL JOIN TOGETHER FOR THE FINAL INSTALLMENT OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA.

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie, Richard E. Grant, and Keri Russell, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977’s A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX.

Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan, and executive produced by Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin. The crew includes Dan Mindel (Director of Photography), Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins (Co-Production Designers), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Neal Scanlan (Creature and Droid FX), Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube (Editors), Roger Guyett (VFX Supervisor), Tommy Gormley (1st AD), and Victoria Mahoney (2nd Unit Director).

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...cast-announced

Comment

Well, Mark was heavily rumored to return as Luke's Force Ghost, so I guess they felt it was pointless to keep it a secret...

As for Carrie, I'm curious about this unseen footage from TFA, because it's hard to imagine anything she shot then tying with where we left Leia at the end of TLJ. Maybe it will be a brief closeup or something.

Comment

Mark coming back as a ghost should not have been a surprise at all. The unused footage for Leia would at least kinda give us some closure for her character. I did at one point think they'd just get a double and CGI her face onto the actor like they did in Rogue One but that might come off as jarring and creepy looking.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎