Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Potential Energy?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude, Barry was still pretty young when he was taken in. He was like 6 years old when that happened.... enough time to grow up together like they were siblings. That still makes it icky.

Not to mention the psychological implications behind a 6-year-old boy's crush lasting that long into adulthood on somebody you grew up with. Think about it-- What if on some level Barry feels beholden to Joe West and Iris West? On some subconscious level he really wants to become part of the West family, but the West family never really asked Barry to change his last name.
    After all, it was never stated that the West family wanted Barry to change his name and that Barry refused. What if the reality is that Joe West and Iris West never asked Barry to change his last name, because they assumed that Barry would want to keep his family name. And all three of them didn't realize that Barry really wanted them to ask on some subconscious level. Now what's the best way to become a part of somebody's family? You marry into them if they can't adopt you for reasons. Hence, a long-lasting crush that resulted from emotional stunting AND a desire to become part of a loving family like the West family.

It's not like he was 16 years old when he was taken in or something like that. If he had been a older teenager when he was taken in by Joe West, then it would had been more understandable. That would mean that they didn't really have enough time to grow together as brother and sister, and Barry would only have to live in the West household for 3 years tops before he was old enough to live on his own. It would had been long enough to see Joe as a father figure, but not long enough to see Iris West as your sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
      Dude, Barry was still pretty young when he was taken in. He was like 6 years old when that happened.... enough time to grow up together like they were siblings. That still makes it icky.

Not to mention the psychological implications behind a 6-year-old boy's crush lasting that long into adulthood on somebody you grew up with. Think about it-- What if on some level Barry feels beholden to Joe West and Iris West? On some subconscious level he really wants to become part of the West family, but the West family never really asked Barry to change his last name.
      After all, it was never stated that the West family wanted Barry to change his name and that Barry refused. What if the reality is that Joe West and Iris West never asked Barry to change his last name, because they assumed that Barry would want to keep his family name. And all three of them didn't realize that Barry really wanted them to ask on some subconscious level. Now what's the best way to become a part of somebody's family? You marry into them if they can't adopt you for reasons. Hence, a long-lasting crush that resulted from emotional stunting AND a desire to become part of a loving family like the West family.

It's not like he was 16 years old when he was taken in or something like that. If he had been a older teenager when he was taken in by Joe West, then it would had been more understandable. That would mean that they didn't really have enough time to grow together as brother and sister, and Barry would only have to live in the West household for 3 years tops before he was old enough to live on his own. It would had been long enough to see Joe as a father figure, but not long enough to see Iris West as your sister.
      He was 11 when he was taken in by the West's.

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
        You're right in regards to Barry not doing so and explaining his reasons. But Iris made it clear in the pilot how she thought of them: as "kind of brother and sister". She has also shown NO INCLINATION towards having romantic feelings for Barry and even been unnerved by him having those feelings for her.
        I didn't say that she did show an inclination. But the show made a point to have her kiss him romantically in a previous timeline. But the point of the statement wasn't really about Iris' side of the romance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
          He was 11 when he was taken in by the West's.

My point still stands.

Comment

My point still stands.
            It doesn't. Barry stated his emotional state came from the death of his mother. Anything else you said wasn't established as fact in the show.

Comment

So you don't think the fact that they had an whole decade growing up together as siblings doesn't count? I know they're not related in any way at all.... but still.

I think I made a very good point regarding becoming a part of the West family as a child VS living with them as a older teenager.

Comment

So you don't think the fact that they had an whole decade growing up together as siblings doesn't count? I know they're not related in any way at all.... but still.

I think I made a very good point regarding becoming a part of the West family as a child VS living with them as a older teenager.
                Not a decade. It's seven years from eleven to 18, which Barry if I remember correctly said that he did go to college. The feelings were already there and Barry stated that he was stunted by his mom's death. Him spending 7 years, after you've already lived 11, with someone doesn't create an actual automatic sibling relationship, especially if the person has already developed non-sibling feelings for the person they're with.

Comment

Well, Iris doesn't seem to think the way you do. In episodes like the pilot she said flat-out that Barry was like an sibling to her because of how they lived together as children in the same house.

And Barry was unintentionally acting like a brother to Iris, which complicates it even more.... regardless of his feelings for her. So yeah I think the Barry/Iris ship is pretty icky and kind of taboo.

Comment

Well, Iris doesn't seem to think the way you do. In episodes like the pilot she said flat-out that Barry was like an sibling to her because of how they lived together as children in the same house.

And Barry was unintentionally acting like a brother to Iris, which complicates it even more.... regardless of his feelings for her. So yeah I think the Barry/Iris ship is pretty icky and kind of taboo.
                    I've never treated my sibling the way Barry treats Iris, so I don't see him acting like a brother at all. I wasn't talking about Iris' feelings on the issue. But the fact is that they aren't siblings. They're not blood related, they weren't really raised together. It's a cold hard fact that they aren't actual siblings.

Comment

Now you're just flat-out contradicting the show's canon story. Barry went to live with the west as a young kid, so therefore he was raised in the same house with Iris by Joe West. How is that not being raised together??

I honestly think that at this point you just come into threads for the sake of being argumentative and being contrary. I'm so done with you.

Comment

Now you're just flat-out contradicting the show's canon story. Barry went to live with the west as a young kid, so therefore he was raised in the same house with Iris by Joe West. How is that not being raised together??

I honestly think that at this point you just come into threads for the sake of being argumentative and being contrary. I'm so done with you.
                        Just because I deal in facts instead of wanting to dislike something for illogical reasons, it has nothing to do with being a contrarian or argumentative. But I said say that they weren't really raised together, not that they weren't at all. Barry was already a formed child with developing feelings and opinions of his own and the point was that Barry wasn't raised as a sibling really, for him especially.

Comment

Barry often stated that Joe West was like a father to him. It's pretty clear that in the show he sees Joe as a father figure. He's said that repeatedly over the course of the show.

It's also explicitly stated by Iris that she viewed the time they spent together as something that siblings did together, even though they weren't technically related.

Just because Barry might be the only one who ever felt that they weren't raised as siblings doesn't mean that both Joe and Iris doesn't see it that way. Even Barry acted like his feelings were wrong at times... wonder why? It might be because deep down he knew it was weird as hell to keep on feeling this way for a girl who ended up being your adoptive sister. It doesn't matter that he had those feelings long before he moved in with Iris's family, okay? WHAT MATTERS, is what happened afterwards. Fact is, he spent a pretty long time growing up with Iris in the same house.
                          Ever heard of the Westermarck effect?? Google it. In real life there's nothing that kills off a childhood crush faster than putting two 10-year-olds in the same house and raising them together. Heck, there's been cases where in small towns where all the children effectively grew up together, and didn't find each other sexually attractive at all as teenagers. There was no dating at all until some new kids came to live in the town.

I'm dealing in FACTS here. I'm not hating on this ship just because of some supposedly illogical feeling I have. I'm sorry that you can't see the forest for the trees and only ever step in to be contrary as hell against those who you see as "haters who hate for no good reason".

I still stand by what I said... If they had aged Barry up to 16 or 17, nothing much would had changed other than the fact that it would had been far more understandable for Barry to have a crush. After all, he wouldn't had seen Iris though her awkward, unattractive teenage years when she was having growing pains, going though her first period, etc. you know, the real TMI stuff you learn about somebody when you grow up in the same house as them.
                          The kind of stuff that can turn you off seeing them as a potential mate. Hence, Westermarck effect.

Comment

Barry often stated that Joe West was like a father to him. It's pretty clear that in the show he sees Joe as a father figure. He's said that repeatedly over the course of the show.
                            There are tons of situations where someone is there father figure, that doesn't make them their actual father, or mean that they're a sibling with their daughter.

It's also explicitly stated by Iris that she viewed the time they spent together as something that siblings did together, even though they weren't technically related.
                            I wasn't talking about Iris' feelings.

Just because Barry might be the only one who ever felt that they weren't raised as siblings doesn't mean that both Joe and Iris doesn't see it that way. Even Barry acted like his feelings were wrong at times... wonder why? It might be because deep down he knew it was weird as hell to keep on feeling this way for a girl who ended up being your adoptive sister. It doesn't matter that he had those feelings long before he moved in with Iris's family, okay? WHAT MATTERS, is what happened afterwards. Fact is, he spent a pretty long time growing up with Iris in the same house.
                            Which doesn't automatically equal him seeing her as a sibling.
                            Ever heard of the Westermarck effect?? Google it. In real life there's nothing that kills off a childhood crush faster than putting two 10-year-olds in the same house and raising them together. Heck, there's been cases where in small towns where all the children effectively grew up together, and didn't find each other sexually attractive at all as teenagers. There was no dating at all until some new kids came to live in the town.
                            Barry was 11, not 10. There's been cases, but that's not every case. Not everyone reacts to the same way to the same thing.
                            I'm dealing in FACTS here. I'm not hating on this ship just because of some supposedly illogical feeling I have. I'm sorry that you can't see the forest for the trees and only ever step in to be contrary as hell against those who you see as "haters who hate for no good reason".
                            If you were dealing in facts that the analysis you quoted would be true for everyone, but it isn't.
                            I still stand by what I said... If they had aged Barry up to 16 or 17, nothing much would had changed other than the fact that it would had been far more understandable for Barry to have a crush. After all, he wouldn't had seen Iris though her awkward, unattractive teenage years when she was having growing pains, going though her first period, etc. you know, the real TMI stuff you learn about somebody when you grow up in the same house as them.
                            The kind of stuff that can turn you off seeing them as a potential mate. Hence, Westermarck effect.
                            There are plenty of unattractive teenager stuff, none of which automatically defines not finding someone attractive.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎