No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Childish Things?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
    The thing with Superhero shows, there's always going to be tropes and the like that every one of them shares. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing.... the most important thing is how they handle it, and the different take they do on this particular trope.

Personally, I didn't think it was anything like the ep that you mentioned.... they made it feel different enough and the actors actually acted out the scenes better than Iris/Barry did. So..... *shrugs*
    Better is not objective for the situation. The Barry and Iris scenes were very different with very different context and very different issues and obstacles. Anyway...

Winn seems to be this show's Tommy, like Eddie was for the Flash. A relatively nice guy who is related to a villain and has insecurity about his place in the romantic life about a main female character. His dad will probably do something and he'll sacrifice himself to save Kara or the city or world or something.

God bless you all! God bless everyone!

Comment

It comes down to tropes again. I personally feel that even though those situations were similar, the heroes handled it in majorly different ways, etc.

You may have a point about the writers reusing old ideas.... but I think I can personally forgive them for something like that when it was shown that Supergirl and her group of friends handled things way differently than the Flash crew or the Arrow crew did.

Also the cause for those threats, like the tornado, were caused by completely different factors.... because of this the eps doesn't feel the same at all to me even though there might be similarities between the flash and supergirl eps.

If it was just a simple case of copy and paste then I would had been right there with you agreeing how unoriginal the writers were being. But, even though they might had reused some of the same threats, they wrote a completely different story around it.
      I didn't mean to imply that they were writing the stories in the same way, obviously they're not. However, by peppering Supergirl episodes with recycled bits it makes the show seem (at least to me) like a rerun, when it should be filled with fresh ideas. I want Supergirl to succeed, I don't want to be able to see the trailer and feel like I can skip the show because I feel like I know how it's gonna pan out.

Comment

Well, A lot of Supergirl fans may not even watch the Flash or Arrow.... so they wouldn't really notice the similarity at all or know how it goes. After all, it's not like all of them goes to Ksite here.... right?

Comment

Well, A lot of Supergirl fans may not even watch the Flash or Arrow.... so they wouldn't really notice the similarity at all or know how it goes. After all, it's not like all of them goes to Ksite here.... right?
          You're right

Comment

Overall it was a pretty decent episode, something for everyone.

I was relieved that the situation between James and Lucy wasn't due to James' feelings for Kara (though Kara is evidently uncomfortable with Lucy's new job in the same workplace for precisely that reason -heck, even Cat sees this). I'm not so invested in this subplot but I'm glad they avoided the too-predictable route here. This relief is off the table if it turns out James' real reason he didn't want Lucy there is because it's cramping his potential romance with Kara.

They've finally made some substantial character growth moves with Winn -- who up until this point was stuck in 'the guy can't catch a break' mode. They managed to both do a bit of an origin-like story for Winn and (finally!) pushed Winn/Kara out of the friend-zone, so how it unfolds in the second half looks intriguing. I don't think Kara can realistically expect him to revert to friend-zone resident, now that he's put all his cards on the table. They'll still have to work together and cooperate in this sense, but the friendship as it stood since the pilot -- it doesn't exist as-is. It is not business as usual, and this could very well be fork in the road time for both of them.

In this DC Berlanti-verse, there are going to be some common themes and tropes to those of us who watch all the related DC shows and, while sometimes they aren't always executed as well in the various properties, Supergirl is looking to be more like a TV series that knows what it is (no identity crisis here), what story it wants to tell and largely delivers on it. Even with the familiar tropes, it just seems better (and more consistently) executed on this series. It also doesn't hurt that the lead is so convincing in the role and has a solid supporting cast. I think one of the reasons that Maxwell Lord doesn't come off as a stereotypical over-the-top alpha-villain is: subtlety. You almost believe that he actually has humanity's interests at heart, instead of just his own.

Supergirl seems to be the most comfortable in its own skin, in no small part to learning from what worked on Arrow and Flash and mostly steering clear of what didn't on them. Sometimes they still overplay some of the tried-and-true tropes used in previous series esp. on the melodrama front aka sticking the lead in a love triangle (with Kara technically being at the epicentre of two: the Jimmy-Kara-Winn one and the Lucy-Kara-James one ) and keeping secrets "to protect people" (there's a bit of that with Hank/MM and his own identity crisis subplot) -- but the sum of the series' parts is still a fun ride.

I expected Flash to be running ahead of its TV cousins, quality-wise, when the fall season unfolded but it seems Supergirl is more than holding her own and could potentially surpass all of them if they stay on track. This series has become an unexpected and pleasant surprise.

Comment

Voted 10 out of 10.

Love the character development and Kara's connection to Winn as to why Kara opened up to Winn about being Supergirl. I'm glad that Winn shared his love for Kara as existing before knowing she was Supergirl, and I hope his love will mature more to that sort of laying down his life for Kara which also means having that knd of love to be able to be letting go too and thereby find that as a way to be just friends with Kara.

He can always hope that Kara will realize that friendship is the basis for a lasting marriage; not romance. The feelings of romance comes and goes, but it is the friendship that I believe is what long lasting marriages survive on.

One worry about the direction of the show; I just hope Maxwell Lord doesn't think Alex is bulletproof when he had found out that they are "sisters". If Alex gets shot or injured, would Maxwell give Kara second thoughts? Would he find out how Kara was accused of being Supergirl by Cat Grant, and considered that Kara was testing to see if she really did look like Supergirl by wearing that costume at home, and is now hoping to wear it at the next Comic book convention or the next Halloween party held at Cat Co... or so he thinks?

Probably not.

It does make me wonder how Maxwell Lord will treat Kara the next time they meet. It would throw everybody off if he hugged Kara as a hello and treat her kindly and warmly just to enjoy "Supergirl" being that close to her, and she not knowing it, while usng it as a means of building rapport with Alex's family members to get closer to Alex. After all, Supergirl did save his life, even if he is being ambitious and aggressive in dealing with his fear of those super bad aliens. I mean, if he goes after Supergirl still.... that is like removing what could be his last line of defense when all else falils. So it would be "stupid" for him to NOT get close to the Danvers family. He could even lie his way about trying to help some lady suffering from some unknown ailment just to save some kind of face....which I do not think that was what Non was after. I can't imagine she would be the reason why that raiding party was there for. Non gets off calling Kara weak after that bout and yet they are there for a helpless and comatose lady which is the epitome of weak?

God be willing, time will tell how they will use Maxwell Lord in this series, but it is obvious that he has heard about Hank using his abilities at that facility, and so if the show is using Max as an evil villain with no redeeming qualities as if he was never interested in Alex, he may just blackmail Hank to do to Supergirl to make her have amnesia so he can use Kara has his pawn, but then again, she is established with a secret identity and would be missed. The amnesiac Kara would come across her friends and Cat Grant or news of her being missing so Max Lord ought to know that would be self defeating. Getting Hank to do it to Astra or Non is another matter. Boy, that would hurt if Astra became amnesiac and never remembers Kara, Non, or Krypton at all. That would be tragic, but I do not see how he could blackmail Hank into doing that unless he was threatening to out Kara as Supergirl.

Course, Hank could just as well do that to Max. Thing is, Max could be smart enough to make a video in the event Hank or they should outwit him. Kind of like, arrange for a lawyer to present a video to him to watch alone in the event he should suffer a memory loss.

The many possibilities in how this can progress. Hopefully, I am still around to see what happens next.

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. There was a lot of character development and I'm glad that Winn finally let Kara know how he felt and I hope that's the end of his pining away.

As for Kara's reaction to Lucy getting the job, I actually got the feeling that it was less about Jimmy and more about the fact that Kara's mentor is offering Lucy such an important position. I'm guessing that Kara felt like Lucy not only beat her to the guy, but now also has Cat's respect.

I really do hope that the show gets away from the love square at this point. That's been the weakest link in my opinion when the show itself has so much else to offer.

That aside, I thought that the Toyman was fantastic and Maxwell Lord was just as evil as always. Though I do question how Alex could have missed the camera planted on her purse. She's a smart woman working for a shadowy government agency. How is she not paranoid and checking for surveillance equipment? But I'll give that a pass for now because Max Lord figuring out Supergirl's identity this early in the game is very interesting and has a lot of storyline potential.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎