Legends of Tomorrow Spoilers Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• In order to try and fix what has happened, they are forced to break the one cardinal rule of time travel.
        That shouldn't be an issue for this group.

Comment

• I had to look up what exactly could they mean about the cardinal rule of time travel.

There's a crapload of material on the web, but some of what I've gathered is that the notion of traveling into the future is more possible, while traveling to the past isn't quite as thrilling (or even future-affecting) as the show would like to have us believe.

The idea is that the past happened; it can't unhappen. The events are forever fixed in time, it cannot be undone.

So while maybe they could go back in time, those events happened and they would not be able to make them unhappen. They'd be essentially on a tour bus looking out the window when they go to the past and whatever they do -- it won't undo what has already happened.

I guess the notion here is that, for example, if Bad Rip went back in time to kill George Washington and intended to do it, he would be unable to alter events that have already happened. George Washington and the events he was a part of already happened -- they are fixed in time. (This is along the lines of Sara's 'Time is sacred' notion.) Whatever Rip did, Time itself would find a way to keep Rip from undoing events locked in the timeline/history. Maybe his pistol turns out to have insufficient powder, he's bitten by a rabid dog on the way to Washington's tent, he's accused of being a British spy and arrested five minutes before he planned to head to Washington's HQ, etc. History is locked-in, nothing he wants to do could make it unhappen ... as these events have already happened. The LoT crew would be passive tourists watching history unfold as it always has, no matter what they try to do.

But this is LoT. The first rule of time travel on LoT is ... there are no rules. That means there is a timeline out there where Cornwallis is Viceroy of a British North America and Bad Rip is made Governor of the Province of New York as a reward for ending the Patriot rebellion. This scenario would not be possible if historical events are fixed in time forever.

I can see why LoT wouldn't stick with Time is Sacred -- any mistakes are fixed in stone temporally and they'd have to own all their past mistakes, with no do-overs. These guys love their second, third, fourth chances. You screwed up in the past? No problemo -- Gideon, set a course for five minutes before you botched things up and just fix it to the way you like. Their solution for screwing up is CTRL+ALT+DEL. Just reset it again. No responsibility, no lessons, no need for regrets.

Maybe the cardinal rule they broke in their universe is they started to think about the fact their do-gooding is actually time-meddling, and that their white hats should really be black.

Comment

• I think the cardinal rule of time travel is that you can't return to an event you have previously participated in. In the finale, it's my guess they are forced to pay a return visit to J.R.R. Tolkien while they are still there. Think Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban.

Comment

• Arrow's Felicity Smoak gets a new look in the March 28 episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

Judging by the suit, she might be the Spoiler (the original superhero identity of Stephanie Brown).

“But [it] will, I think, just send fans into squeals of joy.”
              More likely, it'll cause the viewers to cringe and beg for it to stop.
              Last edited by jon-el87; 03-23-2017, 02:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                http://dclegendstv.com/2017/03/22/ar...-costume-mask/

Judging by the suit, she might be the Spoiler (the original superhero identity of Stephanie Brown).

More likely, it'll cause the viewers to cringe and beg for it to stop.
                I wonder when they're going to rip off something from Cass Cain to give to Felicity. Might as well go three for three, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine-Infantino
                  I think the cardinal rule of time travel is that you can't return to an event you have previously participated in. In the finale, it's my guess they are forced to pay a return visit to J.R.R. Tolkien while they are still there. Think Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban.
                  Bingo

Comment

• "You can't go back an participate in events that you participates in the first time. If you do, you create a time paradox. A black hole."

There didn't seem to be any trouble, in the season 1 finale, where the Legends killed Savage three times in different time periods. The 1958 kill would've prevented Ray, Kendra and Sara getting stuck in 1958. And the 1975 kill would've prevented the death of Carter Hall. And, by Savage having been killed in 1958 and 1975, he wouldn't have been alive for the Arrow/Flash crossover, that introduced him (meaning those two episodes didn't happen). Nor appeared there to be any trouble, in the season 2 premiere, when they prevented the kidnapping of Mileva Maric (which would've undone the entire episode).

Of course, the time paradoxes caused by the Legends and Barry Allen are probably the only things holding this universe together. It would cease to exist without paradoxes.
                    Last edited by jon-el87; 04-01-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, they seem to remember that rule whenever they want. And not just on this show. Hasn't Barry gone back to the night his mother died 3 times?

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine-Infantino
                        I think the cardinal rule of time travel is that you can't return to an event you have previously participated in. In the finale, it's my guess they are forced to pay a return visit to J.R.R. Tolkien while they are still there. Think Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban.
                        As of now, that's a confirmed fact for the finale.

Comment

• OMG, it finally happened. The Legends of crossed over into Goku's home town in Dragonball Land at the end of the season finale. Say hi to Shenron for me, Ray! Enjoy hunting for the Dragonballs!

Comment

• I suspected Rip would form a new organization.

In theory, I could see this season be more "time travel light". For some reason, I'm expecting a lot of these "anachronisms" to have ended up in the present. Which would then mean that the team would spend a lot of time in the present, hunting down the "anachronisms", with the occational time travel adventure thrown in. And the Waverider (assuming they don't replace it) serving mostly as base of operations and transport, for when they return an "anachronism" to its right place in the timeline.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                              http://dclegendstv.com/2017/05/18/ne...on-3-synopsis/

I suspected Rip would form a new organization.

In theory, I could see this season be more "time travel light". For some reason, I'm expecting a lot of these "anachronisms" to have ended up in the present. Which would then mean that the team would spend a lot of time in the present, hunting down the "anachronisms", with the occational time travel adventure thrown in. And the Waverider (assuming they don't replace it) serving mostly as base of operations and transport, for when they return an "anachronism" to its right place in the timeline.
                              I was hoping one or two new DC characters would join the team in Season 3, but that doesn't seem to be the case according to the synopsis. And why is Vixen not mentioned in the synopsis ? Is she leaving the show ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mbruno
                                I was hoping one or two new DC characters would join the team in Season 3, but that doesn't seem to be the case according to the synopsis. And why is Vixen not mentioned in the synopsis ? Is she leaving the show ?
                                Maybe. Don't forget her character was "destined" to die in the 40's. She may have simply decided that she did all she wanted to with the Legends and maybe things don't work out so well with Steel and decides therefore to move on with her destiny in real time.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎