Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So far, how much better is S1 then S2 or is it not?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So far, how much better is S1 then S2 or is it not?

Watching this season so far I still lack the excitement I got from watching season 1. The scenes I love in season one is when Tom Cavanagh had scenes all to himself. Whether is was drinking in his house or talking to Gideon. I really think his character in season 1 made the season. Season 2 seems like they are trying to hard to get him screen time for a character that does not seem to matter yet. I have yet to get that excitement of what is going to happen episode to episode in season 2. Anyone agree or disagree?

Originally posted by Sozzeled
    Watching this season so far I still lack the excitement I got from watching season 1. The scenes I love in season one is when Tom Cavanagh had scenes all to himself. Whether is was drinking in his house or talking to Gideon. I really think his character in season 1 made the season. Season 2 seems like they are trying to hard to get him screen time for a character that does not seem to matter yet. I have yet to get that excitement of what is going to happen episode to episode in season 2. Anyone agree or disagree?
    If you are just comparing it to Tom Cavanagh, it could get very exciting if Zoom is Dr. Wells from another earth where he is using the Star Lab of his earth to steal the speed force from the other Flash of other earths. He could just be using Earth 2 as a jump off point to other earths so that everybody would think Zoom is from that Earth 2 when he is not. He is probably all bluster when threatening the Dr. Wells' daughter of Earth 2 for Dr. Wells's compliance.

Comment

To early to tell, the best episodes of season 1 were all in the back half of the season, with the exception of episode 9. Plenty of time for the Flash to hit his stride.

Comment

Season 2 actually has a lot of the same flaws as the first season. To me, they aren't very different. There are highs (the big Zoom episode, King Shark) and lows (Iris's mother drama, Caitlin, LoT build-up).

I would say we're pretty par for the course at this point.

Comment

I think they are about the same but I think S2 is better in the fact that it's not an origin story anymore. We get bogged down in wanting Barry to get to where he's the Flash we know and love (with all the powers) but it takes a while to get there. I've taken to watching Season one and there's such a disconnect in the first 8-9 episodes because they have a bit of a vision but no guarantee that it'll ever see fruition. So the latter season episodes were better because they got the full season and a second to fall back on. No uncertainty.

And now they know they have a min of a full second season so they can plot every episode with that end in mind. In looking back at S1 episodes, I'm not sure they knew how Harrison Wells was gonna play out. There were spots where he did something (Took Blackout's blood) and did nothing with it later.

So I think S2 is better in that respect. All the other stuff with their flaws, aside. Every show's got flaws. Usually the CW shows have the same ones because of "the formula" but nonetheless, they're there. If you look past those, S2 is better because the producers, showrunners and cast have more confidence in the product. What it can be and what it will be.

Comment

I do think that season 2 is somewhat better than season 1... because as Shadow said, season one was all about the origin story so people were so focused on making Barry the flash that everyone knew and loved.

Season 2 the writers could focus on other things. of course the season suffers the same problems as season 1 sometimes... but I'm sure that they are just finding their stride and maybe season 3 would be even better than season 2.

Comment

This is what annoys me about S2 so far (I am sure it will get better), but this is pretty much what I thought was going on. They used the first half of the season to get Legends of Tomorrow out there and ignored most of main stories. I really did feel like the first half was just a bunch of fillers for Legends and very small portions that focus on the Flash story.

After Arrow and The Flash helped launch the new CW series DC's Legends of Tomorrow during the first half of each show's seasons, both series will refocus their storylines on their respective central villains once Legends premieres on January 21st.
              On The Flash side, showrunner Andrew Kreisberg promised a similar focus on Season 2's Big Bad, Zoom.
              "The rest of the season is really focusing on Zoom and the Multiverse," he told reporters at TCA. "The early parts of seasons are really hard because you're setting things up. For us, that was sort of what the fun of Legends was was getting to bring all these characters on and having them fill out these early episodes while still being tied into the main narrative. But now for Arrow and for Flash, on Arrow it's Oliver versus Darhk and on Flash it's Barry versus Zoom, and that's really where the focus for both of those shows lie."

Comment

I found season one to be consistently more entertaining for myself. However, I think with the LOT building being finished, I think Flash (as well as Arrow) are going to have pretty good second halves coming up. Looking forward to next week.

Comment

This is what annoys me about S2 so far (I am sure it will get better), but this is pretty much what I thought was going on. They used the first half of the season to get Legends of Tomorrow out there and ignored most of main stories. I really did feel like the first half was just a bunch of fillers for Legends and very small portions that focus on the Flash story.

After Arrow and The Flash helped launch the new CW series DC's Legends of Tomorrow during the first half of each show's seasons, both series will refocus their storylines on their respective central villains once Legends premieres on January 21st.
                  On The Flash side, showrunner Andrew Kreisberg promised a similar focus on Season 2's Big Bad, Zoom.
                  "The rest of the season is really focusing on Zoom and the Multiverse," he told reporters at TCA. "The early parts of seasons are really hard because you're setting things up. For us, that was sort of what the fun of Legends was was getting to bring all these characters on and having them fill out these early episodes while still being tied into the main narrative. But now for Arrow and for Flash, on Arrow it's Oliver versus Darhk and on Flash it's Barry versus Zoom, and that's really where the focus for both of those shows lie."
                  I dunno. I didn't see it that way. The only real "set up for Legends" was in the crossover (IMO).

Sure there was a wink and a nod here and there but no full on episodes. Let's look at that:
                  • Firestorm: A character that most people really liked (I have my reservations until he transmutates some stuff but...) so tying getting him going again should have been inevitable. Even if it didn't tie into LOT.
                  • Canary: Magic and mysticism are a main theme of Arrow this year. Canary's resurrection seems like a natural flow from discovering that Thea came back from the dead.
                  • Cold/Heatwave: Can anyone argue that more Wentworth Miller is better than less? Plus he was in a good portion of the episodes last year as well. No shocker he showed up this season.
                  • Hawkgirl: This one seems like the only one "kinda" forced. But her storyline as a love interest for Cisco, is not totally out of left field. Cisco should have something like that to broaden his character. Hawkman was just a added bonus.
                  • Atom: On Arrow, Palmer was a major character, being connected to a series regular (Felicity). It only seems natural that they include an episode where they save him and discover his ability to shrink. Can it be say that it's convoluted that he was captured by Darhk? Sure but not out of left field.

So I didn't get a sense of "Getting them going" for LOT. I think the perception that the show was already in the works and who the lineup was, kinda jaded some people.

Think for a moment: If they hadn't said anything about "LOT" at all, and we got the same episodes, would people say they were being heavy handed on the new show set up? I think people would be pissing their pants that we are getting a new Firestorm, Canary is back, and the Hawks!!! Are you kidding me? Then people would be saying "How are they gonna keep all those heroes together on these two shows??? It's too much!" But that's neither here nor there.

Comment

I completely agree with you about the perception aspect of it all. I wouldn't be so annoyed if I knew that these characters would frequently be on The Flash or Arrow. But knowing that they were on the show for one specific reason and only that makes me sad. Hopefully we get a cameo or two. Would hate to lose Captain Cold time.

Though DC’s Legends of Tomorrow really kicked off with the annualArrow andThe Flash crossover event, the new CW superhero drama won’t often cross over with the flagship series.

“It’s intermittent throughout,” executive producer Greg Berlanti said at the Television Critics Association’s press tour on Sunday. “Because they’re a band of time traveling rogues, it’s harder for Arrowand Flash to be connected story wise to it throughout the season. That being said, if you know the histories of Arrowand Flash, it should be extra fun in its own way as we delve deeper and deeper into the characters lives.”

Comment

I completely agree with you about the perception aspect of it all. I wouldn't be so annoyed if I knew that these characters would frequently be on The Flash or Arrow. But knowing that they were on the show for one specific reason and only that makes me sad. Hopefully we get a cameo or two. Would hate to lose Captain Cold time.

Though DC’s Legends of Tomorrow really kicked off with the annualArrow andThe Flash crossover event, the new CW superhero drama won’t often cross over with the flagship series.

“It’s intermittent throughout,” executive producer Greg Berlanti said at the Television Critics Association’s press tour on Sunday. “Because they’re a band of time traveling rogues, it’s harder for Arrowand Flash to be connected story wise to it throughout the season. That being said, if you know the histories of Arrowand Flash, it should be extra fun in its own way as we delve deeper and deeper into the characters lives.”
                      I feel you. I'm just hoping that LOT is gonna rock. I have high hopes for it. But my DVR will be stressing from all the shows I'm recording. ARRGGHH!!!

Comment

I am thinking it will be like the show Sliders but with super heroes! Even though in that time they just went to different dimensions and not back in time.

Comment

flash suffered from all the LOT build up.
                          but i feel the direction its taking is very exciting. I think by seasons end it'll be superior to s1. im enjoying the zoom story and having wells back has been huge.

Comment

Being a huge Flash fan since I was a kid I don't think I could be disappointed with a season or even an episode really. Even a bad episode of the Flash is better than the vast majority of everything else out there.

For me season 1 is by far superior but there's a lot that goes in to that for me. For one, I had never watched any CW shows at all so in my head I'm already expecting it to be subpar just because it isn't on one of the big 4 networks, which it is clearly not. So it being so much better than I had ever expected kind of puts season 1 on some what of a pedestal for me I suppose. It actually got me to go back and watch Arrow from the beginning as well. Season 2 hasn't been bad by any means but something is just off a bit. The main thing is that there are way too many plot lines going on at once to give each the attention they need. It's really taking away from Zoom in my opinion. This season's "Big Bad" isn't getting enough screen time and while he is the main focus he just isn't getting the attention that the Reverse Flash got in season 1. It did also help that Wells was always around in season 1 so technically the "Big Bad" was on screen a lot. Hoping the next few episodes is where this season is really going to hit it's stride and we get some really great episodes.

Comment

For me season 1 and 2 are both going toe to toe for now. Both season's have had totally different setp-ups. Last season it was all about fighting the reverse flash and trying to change the past. The audience were taken on this 23 episode journey to see how Barry would do these two things. For me it was a real rollercoaster ride.

But this season, we practically only knew that Barry had to face Zoom. We didn't know why, or who Zoom was and what's it all about. We still don't know the whole story(can't imagine the essence of this season is addiction to speed). In my opinion that's what makes this season so exciting, because I have the feeling that there is still a lot more to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎