0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Arrest me, just don't make me watch this again
    0%

One of the best supergirl eps so far! they're really hitting their stride....

Yes, the Cat grant storyline was a little predictable but everything else was spot on. The action was great, and so were the El family drama without it being overdone. Liked that Kara managed to find out about Martian man-hunter without it being a prolonged "serects and lies" plotline.

Comment

It was a very good episode I feel. They did an excellent job of keeping the Astra storyline fresh, while also portraying Lord as the real threat. At the same time, some of the scenes Kara shared with Jimmy, Winn and even Hank (the last one) were heart warming and delved more into her psychology.

The Cat arc was indeed a bit predictable, but I can't honestly have any complaints when the payoff is seeing 2 of Melissa Benoist.

Comment

I finally got around to catching this one. A pretty decent episode and I am glad they aren't dragging out secrets and lies -- both with Hank/MM and the 'Is she Supergirl?' situation with Cat and Kara. They truly are selling the friendships that Kara has with Cat, her Catco pals Jimmy and Winn, sis Alex, and the possible bond with Astra. This is a series that will rise or fall based on Kara/Supergirl's credibility in the series and Melissa Benoist is convincing in the role. She's the glue that keeps it together.

It was also good to see Jimmy doing actual investigating, plus seeing Jimmy and Winn in a subplot that didn't involve being in a potential Kara love triangle. They dialed down the soap with them in this episode. And Maxwell finally asserts his alpha-villain status in that beat-down scene with Jimmy. He was always "a" threat to Supergirl since he arrived, but that scene put an exclamation mark on it. He is the threat.

On the nitpicky front, I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of so many Kryptonians flying about. Clark and Kara aren't exactly last sons or daughters of Krypton if there's a virtual army of them out loose on Earth. In one sense, they do need to have foes that are at least equal to Kara in terms of posing a threat or challenge to her, who else would be a match for her, etc. ... but just the idea of lots of Kryptonians around detracts from the "uniqueness" of Kara. (And Clark.) Non is an okay Krypto-villain, though he tends to steer too close at times to the Count Chocula-level of caricature villainy. All that's missing is a moustache to twirl when he snickers.

Overall, it's Kara/Supergirl (and Melissa's solid portrayal in the role) that makes the show more interesting that it might have been with a less capable actor.

Comment

I feel the same way about having so many Kryptonians, but is their whole army Kryptonian? Or is the army made up of various alien species that were exiled?

I thought this was a decent episode. It certainly seems to be setting up some interesting things for the back half of the season.

Comment

From what I saw not all of them were Kryptonians... they were from various alien species across the galaxy.

Comment

I loved it because they established Kara's support system; as to what and whom keeps her grounded and not going off like a self destructive child star.

That was funny how Cat said that after seeing the two together that Kara did not look anything like Supergirl. I suppose "Supergirl" couldn't say anything like that Kara did look like her, otherwise, Cat would not be able to say that funny line.

It was a good episode. 11 out of 10.

Comment

Hmmm

Comment

I do have a suspicion about something regarding Astra's and Non's violent behavior. In the Pilot, Astra had said that she had wanted to kill her niece, and then in another episode, Non was disappointed that Astra had not killed Kara. Now, even Non has relented. He had a chance to keep on fighting Kara to kill her at the beginning of that episode when Hank was taken, but all he just did was said that she was weak.

So I am thinking that wherever their main command center is... there is red kryptonite there unaware where it is removing all inhibitions in their plotting and campaigning. Every time they are away from the command center, it takes time before sound reasoning undermines their red kryponite influenced motivations.

It makes sense since they are just learning about green kryptonite. I do wonder what human being held captive there at their command center is going to talk them into putting that red rock away in a lead lined container or if Astra is going to figure it out that something is affecting their behavior every time they come to the command center, and thus plot to use it on Superman in someway for him to be out of the picture for the duration of Supergirl's series.

It's hard to fathom how the series will progress, but if Astra finds out about Kara's adoptive sister Alex, then she can find out about her adoptive family and then clone her communications devices where she finds out about Clark, and then discover Ka El's secret identity, and then simply mailing a red kryptonite crafted gift to his home may be enough to accomplish that task.

Imagine coming home and the ills of society would start weighing on Clark where Kara would pick up on that in their texting. It would look like he is getting a massive depression, and so every time he goes to work, he is affected into being apethetic for a duration of inactivity as Superman where maybe after a period of time during the course of the day, he is counseled into caring again only to find himself depressed again when he goes home.

So in effect, almost a world without a Superman, thus putting more of the spotlight on Kara as Supergirl in dealing with a major crisis. So Kara starts treating her cousin as if he is suffering from clinical depression when in reality it was red kryptonite removing all inhibitions that allow the sorrows of the day to weigh heavily on her cousin every time he goes home.

It could very well be some alien that was a prisoner at Fort Rozz that is influencing their minds at the command center in their decision making process in such a way that it would be like the devil getting a grip on heir anger sort of thing, but there is an inconsistency that may be intentional there for future conflict, especially if Astra and Non finds out about this manipulative alien and "turn" him or her over so that it can influence the command structure at the DEO while being held as a prisoner there. Anger doesn't have to be the only weapon. It can also be lust where sexual harassment could cause problems there or jealousy as the men fight over any woman working there like Alex or Supergirl. The alien would be able to diminish the work force of the DEO without causing them to kill one another. Indeed, if it was a smart alien, it would know after being turned over that his victims could figure out that something is influencing their behavior as Astra and Non did, and so preys on the more subtle emotions that people play with in their minds that they would believe that they had given in to it.

Diabolical.

Course, if Hank is immune to its influence, he may figure it out since he would be the only one that could give "second chances" to the fired subordinates under his authority.

I do not know what is going on here with the show as to explaining Astra's and Non's inconsistent behavior between their command center and when they are actually out on the field, but it should be noted. It may be a plot hole that is consistent with writers of any TV series, or it may be intentional for a future plot. Time will tell.

Personally, I would not mind seeing "uncle" Non actually caring about his niece like Astra is now since Astra did start out wanting to kill her niece too at the end of the Pilot. What would it take? Kara saving Non from a certain death?
                  Last edited by Jedidiah; 01-09-2016, 06:43 AM.

Comment

I really enjoyed the El family drama in this one. Yes, it's been a little inconsistent overall. Hopefully as the show ages it will find it's stride.

The one thing I hate is General Lane - both how he is written and how he is acted. It's eye rollingly bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎