Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ha, so when you watch a movie that you are on the fence about a few more times, chances are that suddenly liking it after the third time is a mere exposure effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by CKent/KalEl

Ha, so when you watch a movie that you are on the fence about a few more times, chances are that suddenly liking it after the third time is a mere exposure effect.
      Funnily enough I was watching that same video earlier today, and after some thought I've realized that we as SW fans are the most unpleasable people in the world.

Comment

• I must admit that it's very amusing to sit back and watch the mainstream media scramble for desperate excuses as to why The Last Jedi has been so heavily criticised by so many people. Trying to shame people about hating a Disney movie is a new low and I thought I'd seen it all after the over the top backlash for BvS. And like the video points out, we've reached the point where the detractors are either labeled as sexist racists or angry fanboys whose theories were wrong (because that never happens before any popular franchise movie ). I guess that also applies to the vast majority of Chinese moviegoers that turned their backs on this movie (TLJ's gross in China was 1/4 of TFA's)?

While we are at it, a close relative of mine, whose only contact with the SW universe is watching the OT once every decade or so, watched TLJ recently. He didn't like it. When I asked him why, he specifically pointed out Luke's borderline character assassination (Luke was his favorite character in the OT), the questions from TFA that remained unanswered, the Canto Bight subplot, the force projection and floating Leia. Nothing to do with the protagonists being women and people of colour or with any theories of his being proven wrong. As a matter of fact, he didn't even bother predicting anything before watching the movie because he didn't care enough to do so.

Point being, you will find plenty of casual fans who simply disliked it for being an average movie in general or a bad movie as far as the SW canon is concerned. And the latter has nothing to do with fanboys being angry either. It's one thing to be upset because Snoke didn't prove out to be Darth Plagueis and it's another to be upset because a movie tells you that what happened in the 2 movies that preceded it means nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by costas22
          While we are at it, a close relative of mine, whose only contact with the SW universe is watching the OT once every decade or so, watched TLJ recently. He didn't like it. When I asked him why, he specifically pointed out Luke's borderline character assassination (Luke was his favorite character in the OT), the questions from TFA that remained unanswered, the Canto Bight subplot, the force projection and floating Leia. Nothing to do with the protagonists being women and people of colour or with any theories of his being proven wrong. As a matter of fact, he didn't even bother predicting anything before watching the movie because he didn't care enough to do so.
          Character assassination of Luke? Huh? How is that borderline character assassination, does anyone really honestly believe Luke is going to be the exact same person he was 30+ years ago, especially with something traumatic as losing the Jedi Order again on his mind? Making Luke flawed makes him more interesting as a character, and even if he briefly contemplated killing Ben, remember that the last time there was a gifted Force user who was being tempted by the dark side in the middle of everything, it was Anakin and he ended up bringing down the Jedi, the Republic and being the Emperor's right hand man. Furthermore, let's not forget that Luke briefly tried to kill his dad during the end part of their duel in ROTJ where he's just wailing on him until he cuts his hand off.

Questions from TFA left unanswered could still be answered in Episode 9, which I should remind everyone has yet to come out. Everyone seems to have forgotten that this is a trilogy and not every single question is answered all at one time, though I would like to know how Maz found Luke's old lightsaber at the bottom of Bespin.

Floating in space Leia. Okay, I'll admit that was a bit weird looking. And I've already said the Canto Bight stuff was a weak storyline yet I'm more forgiving of it as time goes on and it doesn't really annoy me that much.

Also, force projection is perfectly in-tune with Star Wars lore because every single movie introduces a new use of the Force than before it. For example, ESB was the first time we saw Force users actually pull objects toward them, something not shown in the previous movie. Then ROTJ showed the Emperor blasting Luke with lightning. Then TFA showed Kylo Ren stopping laser bolts in mid-air and freezing people. But force projection (something shown by Yoda in Star Wars Rebels) is crossing line?

I guess my feelings on this are that I think fans are mad because everything isn't done perfectly to their liking, theories aside, and they want everything right here and right now. People criticized TFA for being too similar to A New Hope, but now TLJ gets criticized for being too different.

Comment

• I read an article on another movie site the other day that stated Lucasfilm upperbrass and a particular person involved with Disney's Star Wars ignored many years of the Expanded Universe and turned it into Legends (not canon) was because "they killed Chewbacca over the coarse of time" in the Expanded Universe...."that they couldn't have done this trilogy without such a beloved character in it." This was such a ridiculous story that they couldn't move on from their "Childhood rose-colored glasses".

Rian Johnson couldn't completely ignore the Original Trilogy in that the Force-Ghost Yoda pretty much said the exact same things he said in The Empire Strikes Back. You're telling me that Luke Skywalker and Yoda and/or Obi-Wan never carried on a conversation in 30 years and it took Rey to bring Yoda out of hiding so that he could repeat what he said in the fan's most popular movie? Yoda couldn't have shown up after Luke's failure with Ben to give him a few pointers? It was easy to make Luke look like a careless coward and die quite easy....after he finally finds his courage. It was easy to make Leia look like Superman and fly through space. JJ Abrams basically remade A New Hope. Episode 9 will most likely be a remake of Return of the Jedi. Who cares about the questions brought up in The Force Awakens? At this point, what's the point? They're never really going to move on anyways...
            Last edited by Glove; 01-22-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by costas22
              I must admit that it's very amusing to sit back and watch the mainstream media scramble for desperate excuses as to why The Last Jedi has been so heavily criticised by so many people. Trying to shame people about hating a Disney movie is a new low and I thought I'd seen it all after the over the top backlash for BvS. And like the video points out, we've reached the point where the detractors are either labeled as sexist racists or angry fanboys whose theories were wrong (because that never happens before any popular franchise movie ). I guess that also applies to the vast majority of Chinese moviegoers that turned their backs on this movie (TLJ's gross in China was 1/4 of TFA's)?

Point being, you will find plenty of casual fans who simply disliked it for being an average movie in general or a bad movie as far as the SW canon is concerned. And the latter has nothing to do with fanboys being angry either. It's one thing to be upset because Snoke didn't prove out to be Darth Plagueis and it's another to be upset because a movie tells you that what happened in the 2 movies that preceded it means nothing.
              Exactly!!! The movie is flawed in ways that simple dialog could have helped..

Comment

• They had to kill off the EU as it had an internally inconsistent continuity. Furthermore it would be too much of a burden for the new filmmakers to catch up on hundreds (thousands?) of stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by DA_Champion
                  They had to kill off the EU as it had an internally inconsistent continuity. Furthermore it would be too much of a burden for the new filmmakers to catch up on hundreds (thousands?) of stories.
                  Some of those EU stories weren't that good either, in addition to that.

Comment

• The new trilogy's issues never had anything to do with ignoring the EU, I feel. A lot of Star Wars fans only follow the movies anyway. The EU is no Bible and neither were George Lucas' original ideas for the sequel trilogy. But, if you are willing to overlook both, it means you have an already structured plan of your own. And there was no such thing. Only things they had their minds set on was that the protagonist would be a woman and that the cast would be diverse. And both are great developments, but they are not enough to bring a trilogy to life.

Comment

• I saw 'The Last Jedi' on DVD. It was worse than Episode 7. Luke gave up on the Jedi. Yoda has to teach Luke the error of his way. We get a female character that got most of the Resistance killed. The only good thing she did, was to die, to allow the survivors to escape. Snoke get himself killed before we could learn who he is. Then, Luke died after defeating Kylo Ren. This movie deserved all the bad press that it got from the Star Wars fans.

Comment

• The Last Jedi stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie and Frank Oz in returning roles. New cast members include Benicio del Toro, Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran. Fisher died after filming her scenes for the movie.
                        The film was announced after Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm in October 2012. It is produced by Ram Bergman and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. John Williams, composer for the previous seven films, returns to compose the score. Scenes that required shooting at Skellig Michael in Ireland were filmed during pre-production in September 2015, with principal photography beginning at Pinewood Studios in England in February 2016 and ending in July 2016.
                        Star Wars: The Last Jedi is scheduled to be released on December 15, 2017, in the United Kingdom and most other countries, except for the US where it will be released one day earlier. One week before release, Walt Disney Studios Japan released an altered version of the film with a different title, Star Wars : The Last Jedi 3D, which will play exclusively at the country's Disney theme parks beginning January 2017. So get also information about electrum sabers that are used as a weapon in star wars movie.

Comment

• Rewatching this for the first time in ages. Found it difficult to watch, and kept hitting fastforward. If TFA is too busy playing into nostalgia, this one is too busy trying to subvert your expectations at every turn. While also following a lot of the same stuff from the second film in the OT, like how TFA rehashed stuff from A New Hope.

I remember coming out of the movie theater, after watching this for the first time. I really felt no interest in watching any more Star Wars movies going forward. And, judging by the box office of Solo (released just a few months later), I was probably not the only one (which is tragic, as Rogue One and Solo are the best SW movies of the Disney era).

Rian Johnson attempts to get political several times, but it just isn't working. The plot stops to tell you stuff. And I know it's Rian, as I've seen several of his other movies (I've also listened a bit to his wife's film podcast, a while back. She can't even get through the promos for her sponsors, without dragging her own political views into stuff). Holdo's comment about "flyboys" feels like it's refering to a societal system, that has never been indicated to be part of the SW galaxy. Leia slaps Poe. Okay, that one made me laugh, because I was watching a documentary on George S. Patton just the other day (ironically, a documentary produced by Lucasfilm). The film's trying to have Leia be a competent and strong leader... by doing the very thing that got Patton into hot water. The film also tries to hold up Holdo as a good military leader, but she's incapable of confiding in Poe (a senior Resistance officer) about her plan. Causing tensions within her ranks, a mutiny and likely got a lot of people killed. Benicio del Toro's character's bit about some people profiting from the conflict between the Resistance and the First Order feels forced and tone deaf. The film's attitude towards the Jedi feels like an attempt to push an anti-religion message.

Some say that the whole Canto Bight was a waste of time, but the whole film feels like a waste of an installment in a trilogy. Especially as the reveal about Rey's parents being nobodies get undone in the next film. Not because it was planned, but because of backlash from fans (who had expected her to be Luke's daughter or something). Finn's story is about him joining the Resistance, which he already did in the previous movie.
                          Last edited by jon-el87; 08-07-2023, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Thought about something recently. People often argue that the whole Canto Bight storyline with Finn and Rose is a waste of time. What would happen if we cut the whole thing? Would it impact the film's storyline (especially in terms of the sequel trilogy)? Could they cut even more of their stuff, without impacting anything? And what about Poe's scenes? Would the film loose anything if they cut his whole mutiny plot (the only thing of his that I can basically remember from the film)?

The train of thought that I've been finding myself having is that you could practically cut Poe, Finn, and Rose out of the whole movie, and it might might not affect anything. Only Rey's storyline is essential to the movie (and the trilogy going forward). For those of you who came in late: Poe is Latino, Finn is black, and Rose is Asian, while Rey is white (a lot of folks focuses on Rey's gender, but, as demonstrated here, there are many ways to approach characters). Could we then be looking at a new type of tokenism? Several non-white characters are featured in prominent roles in the film, but are given what essentially comes down to pointless plots (no matter how much screentime the plotlines are given), while the white character is given the important plotline. The storyline that can not be cut from the movie.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎