Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

Talk about 6 here.

Return of the Jedi or When Lucas realized that films costs money

Lucas clearly tried to cut costs on this one (ex. the obvious matte painting of the Falcon, instead of an on-set prop, like in the first two films).

An interesting discovery I made a while back, is that there are female fighter pilots at the rebel debriefing (though, I won't be surprised if some throws a fit if TFA or Rogue One features a female fighter pilot). And one of the pilots in the actual battle (while voiced by a man), is played by a woman. They also shot several other female pilots, for the battle, but only one (who was dubbed by a man for some reason) made it into the film.

This film also marked the debut of a young Warwick Davis as the main Ewok (a role he'd later reprise in two TV movies). The Ewoks are often accused as being something cuddly, added to the film, to make it more kid friendly. However, in the films, when they first meet Luke, Han and Chewbacca, the Ewoks' first instinct is to eat them. What's so cute and cuddly about that? A sketch on Robot Chicken claims the Empire was defeated by Ewoks. This is not true. The Ewoks didn't defeat the Empire. All they did was supply the troops on Endor with a massive distraction, giving the rebels there the chance to regain the upper hand. Han was the one to blow up shield generator. Wedge and Lando blew up the new Death Star. And Vader was the one to kill the Emperor.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 08-10-2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Rewatched it yesterday. I don't mind the basic idea of Anakin's force ghost looking like Hayden (he never looked like Sebastian Stan as Anakin). However, the problem is in the execution. The footage they used, wasn't specifically shot for this. Instead, they used (as I've heard it) footage from a wardrobe test. Actors don't act during those, they make awkward smiles, weird looks, goof around, etc. (you can find a bunch of examples on Youtube). What they should've done is either get Hayden in or shot some footage, when he had the time during the filming of RotS, not just grab some random footage they had.

Comment

Just rewatched it. A minor note: Palpatine most certainly dies.

I think that the addition of celebration throughout the galaxy, over the death of Palpatine and the fall of the Empire, was a good choice. It's one of the better additions. Without those clips, the whole thing becomes smaller, more local. We don't know what's going on in the rest of the galaxy.

At Jabba's palace, Boba flirts with Rystáll Sant, a member of Max Rebo's band. With Max now playing at Garsa's place, perhaps Boba and Rystáll could be reunited. Hey, Peli Motto once dated (and implied to have slept with) a Jawa. What's Boba (a human) dating Rystáll (a human-Theelin hybrid) compared to that?

After Leia's shot in the arm, I could've sworn that it looked like she took out two storm troopers, with a single shot. Though, I rewatched the moment several times, and you can hear two blaster shots. I guess that she is just that quick of a shot.

Originally posted by jon-el87
        An interesting discovery I made a while back, is that there are female fighter pilots at the rebel debriefing (though, I won't be surprised if some throws a fit if TFA or Rogue One features a female fighter pilot). And one of the pilots in the actual battle (while voiced by a man), is played by a woman. They also shot several other female pilots, for the battle, but only one (who was dubbed by a man for some reason) made it into the film.
        Checked up the character on Wookiepedia. The character's name is Sila Kott, with the wiki listing Sila as female. But no explaination for why she was dubbed by a man. I've seen women be dubbed by men in other movies and television shows. Either she's talking on the phone, and impersonating a man (Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman did that in a few early episodes), or the filmmakers are signaling that the female character is trans (ex. Shelley Hack's character in an episode of Tales From the Crypt). Given the context of the scene, it's unlikely to be the former. Meaning that a Star Wars movie had a trans character in 1983. The Alien franchise technically had one (Lambert) in 1979, even if she wasn't established as trans until the sequel in 1986.
        Last edited by jon-el87; 01-28-2022, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
          Rewatched it yesterday. I don't mind the basic idea of Anakin's force ghost looking like Hayden (he never looked like Sebastian Stan as Anakin). However, the problem is in the execution. The footage they used, wasn't specifically shot for this. Instead, they used (as I've heard it) footage from a wardrobe test. Actors don't act during those, they make awkward smiles, weird looks, goof around, etc. (you can find a bunch of examples on Youtube). What they should've done is either get Hayden in or shot some footage, when he had the time during the filming of RotS, not just grab some random footage they had.
          Rewatched part of the Young Indiana Jones movie "Tales of Innocence". Like most of the other Young Indiana Jones movies, the film is two episodes edited together. Connected via a bridging segment, that they went back and shot especially for the film version. In the case of "Tales of Innocence", they not only had Sean Patrick Flanery back as Indiana Jones, but cast an actress to play his love interest (for this segment), and several other actors and extras (everyone in period costume). They had multiple sets and locations (the latter would've required the removal of all modern things, as it is supposed to be 1917. Meaning that you can't have a satellite dish in the background of a shot) in Venice (or, at least, a place that could pass for it). The ending of the segment has multiple period boats, and a large ship in the background (though, the large ship might've been faked).

A lot of time, energy (and money) clearly went into the making these bridge segments. In the case of "Tales of Innocence", they didn't just cut from Indy and Hemingway in the hospital, to Indy in Casablanca (with onscreen text saying: "Casablanca. Two months later").

The thing is, if Lucasfilm was able to do all of that for the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones movies, why couldn't they have done it for the inclusion of Hayden into this movie?

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎