No announcement yet.

Jim Gordon’s Dark Turn

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Gordon’s Dark Turn

I find the current direction "Gotham" has taken Jim in to be very intriguing. As far as my knowledge of the character goes, which admittedly doesn't reach far into the comics, having Gordon outright murder a criminal has never been done. In all of the films, he's always been portrayed as one of Gotham's few straight arrow cops, the type of guy I can't really picture straddling the line of justice by working with criminals or outright murdering someone who might otherwise escape justice. That said, while this take on Gordon was surprising to me, I can't say that I dislike it. In fact, in a dark, corrupt city like Gotham, the idea that even a good man might have crossed the line one time or another seems realistic to me. Ben McKenzie's portrayal has really made the character of Jim Gordon come alive for me in a three dimensional way that no other version of the character that I've seen has. Any thoughts on this?

Gordon "straddles the line of justice" all the time by working with Batman. If he were truly the "straight-arrow cop" that fans see him as, he wouldn't willfully break established rules of justice and law by allowing Bruce to do the things that he does as Batman.

Killing Theo Galavan is therefore not really out-of-character for him at all, especially in comparison to the other crimes he's knowingly committed in the comics just by condoning or in some cases outright facilitating Batman's actions through their clandestine partnership.

Comment

Originally posted by DigificWriter
      Gordon "straddles the line of justice" all the time by working with Batman. If he were truly the "straight-arrow cop" that fans see him as, he wouldn't willfully break established rules of justice and law by allowing Bruce to do the things that he does as Batman.

Killing Theo Galavan is therefore not really out-of-character for him at all, especially in comparison to the other crimes he's knowingly committed in the comics just by condoning or in some cases outright facilitating Batman's actions through their clandestine partnership.
      Well, I agree that he breaks the law by working with Batman, but in the movies, at least, that seems to be the extent of him breaking the law. I definitely couldn't see the Gordon from the films outright murdering a criminal or working with criminals like the Penguin. I can't speak about the comics, though, since I haven't read nearly enough of those to know all of what he's done there. Either way, I like what "Gotham" is doing with the character because it's made me see him in a new light.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎