No announcement yet.

Hawkman/Hawkgirl and reincarnation

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkman/Hawkgirl and reincarnation

After watching the episode, I had to get this off my chest.

As a comic book fan, and superhero enthusiast, I've learned to suspend my disbelief in many ways when it comes to these stories. I accept the inherent biases within the canon. I'm cool with that.

But I'm older now and there are somethings that while I still (grudgingly) accept them, they still ruffle my feathers (no pun intended) more now than they did back in my younger years. In this case, it's with this iteration of Hawkman and Hawkgirl.

Now, I'm gonna lose some of you on this but understand that I truly don't care what anyone thinks. I just feel the need to voice my bother.

Ok...So Carter and Kendra are reincarnated from a prince and a Priestess of Ancient Egypt, with this version of Vandal Savage being from that time as well (don't get me started on that). Why is she (obviously) more ethnic looking than those other two? My view is that they were going for someone who would fit the "mold" of what they considered to be Egyptian. If that's the case, then why are Vandal and Carter white? This ain't your Ten Commandments Egypt. Science and archeology have made it clear that ancient Egyptians had a darker skin tone due to the climate and proximity to the equator. That's science. So why are the two male figures as pale as can be? In my mind, it doesn't make sense.

One could say that "Hey, Shadow...people change with reincarnation", I would wholeheartedly agree, but we've already seen from the flashbacks that they are the same people, just dressed in Egyptian clothing. It's not the same. If they reincarnated from dark skinned Egyptians, I'd be cool with that explanation, but I don't believe they will. So...It comes back to my original question. Why is Kendra not white? I'm not saying this because I believe she should be. No, no, I like that they have an "ethnic looking" actress playing an actual Egyptian. Bravo for CW on that one, but if everyone else is white, she should be as well. It's just continuity.

On the flip side, if she is the "ethnic standard of an Egyptian", then why are Carter and Vandal white? Can anyone see the problem here? Either they decided to whitewash archeological history (not uncommon with comics written back in the 50's and 60's) or they are just trying to insert an ethnic looking actress to appease...someone...I don't know who. Either way, both are the wrong moves.

Personally, I'm tired of white Egyptians. I like historical accuracy and I know of no Egyptians who look like Falk Hentschel, or Gerard Butler, or Christian Bale. So I have a problem with this version of Hawkman and Hawkgirl. But seeing as how he's gonna be part of LOT (ya'll noticed how they just threw him in there in the previews) I will live with it. I just needed a forum to voice my displeasure.

And for anyone who comes at me with "Then don't watch" or "You're making something out of nothing" or "Stop bringing race into comics" or "I agree. I'm still angry that they made a Black Johnny Storm". Please save your negative comments and refer to the above disclaimer about how I don't care if you are offended. I'm not offended by this Hawkman. I just don't like the hypocrisy.

Rant over.

P.S. I like Vandal with a caveman origin, not this one, but meh...

You are right. It would make more sense if they had more Egyptian looking actors doing the flashbacks. After all, the whole point of reincarnation is that you are someone else. You aren't supposed to look the way you did hundreds of years ago.

Comment

I guess I understand why they did it, so they'd have familiar faces, but I actually do agree that it would have been better to have different actors for their earlier incarnations... not just for historical accuracy, but also, so each incarnation would be unrecognizable to the other.

Vandal Savage did look ethnic enough to me, though, and since he's an immortal, it DOES make sense that he'd look the same over the ages.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎