No announcement yet.

Supergirl Casting Young Superman

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supergirl Casting Young Superman

CBS’ rookie DC drama, which thus far has limited Superman’s presence to a few shadowy, shot-from-behind cameos, is poised to unmask the Man of Steel in early 2016 — but there’s a tiny twist: The Superman we’ll be meeting will be leaping not over buildings in a single bound, but into puberty.

According to some fresh casting intel, the show is seeking a 13-year-old actor with “future leading man looks” to play the potentially recurring role of Kal-El, aka the future MoS.

Lil’ Supes will first appear in this season’s 13th episode via a string of flashbacks that will establish the cherished bond between him and Kara.

http://tvline.com/2015/11/24/supergi...ode-13-kal-el/

I'm curious as to what possible reason they could have for this. He was fully grown by the time Kara landed and a baby when they left Krypton so I can't see any possible plot line.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipzo
      I'm curious as to what possible reason they could have for this. He was fully grown by the time Kara landed and a baby when they left Krypton so I can't see any possible plot line.
      Maybe they want to turn Supergirl into Gotham, at least as far as the flashbacks are concerned. Combine bright, cheery and a tad angsty Flash with the dark, gritty pre-Superman story a' la Gotham to save the show for a second season?

And no, as cool as that may sound, I have absolutely NO interest in seeing something like that.

Comment

I'm more than a bit confused as to how they're going to make this work, but have enough confidence in them to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will in fact be able to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDevil
          Maybe they want to turn Supergirl into Gotham, at least as far as the flashbacks are concerned. Combine bright, cheery and a tad angsty Flash with the dark, gritty pre-Superman story a' la Gotham to save the show for a second season?

And no, as cool as that may sound, I have absolutely NO interest in seeing something like that.
          So a prequel to Smallville

Comment

Originally posted by Lipzo
            So a prequel to Smallville
            As popular as that was, I'm not even interested in that. I haven't seen a single episode of Smallville and have no intention of doing so since everytime I did zap in (1-2 minutes 5-6 times) I was immediately turned off by what I saw. It was like what would've happened if I was just getting into Arrow during season 3 I would've jumped ship before ever boarding.

Comment

I hope they keep the kid to Flashbacks...otherwise it makes no sense. How can Teen Clark and adult Clark co-exist in "present day" with out causing some sort of time-paradox? Or are they trying to pull a Futurama and just ignore time travel loopholes altogether?

Otherwise, if they keep him to just flashbacks I'm good. Arrow pulled it off well, we can only hope Supergirl pulls off flashback storylines just as well. I'm a bit confused as to why they wait this long to start them if they want to follow Arrow's formula however.

Comment

As popular as that was, I'm not even interested in that. I haven't seen a single episode of Smallville and have no intention of doing so since everytime I did zap in (1-2 minutes 5-6 times) I was immediately turned off by what I saw. It was like what would've happened if I was just getting into Arrow during season 3 I would've jumped ship before ever boarding.
                Smallville was "ok" for what it was. It's problem was general lack of direction. Because they wanted to "milk the show" for all it was worth, it was dragged out about 4-5 season longer than it needed to be.

I watched it for the most part because at the time it was the only thing available to us as far as LIVE ACTION dc stuff goes...And no, I don't count the partial season of Birds of Prey. I do give the show props for using the likes of Aquaman, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, and yes, Green Arrow. Kara on that show was essentially wasted space of a character.

But yeah, if you don't like filler, DEF not the show for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrantLord
                  Smallville was "ok" for what it was. It's problem was general lack of direction. Because they wanted to "milk the show" for all it was worth, it was dragged out about 4-5 season longer than it needed to be.

I watched it for the most part because at the time it was the only thing available to us as far as LIVE ACTION dc stuff goes...And no, I don't count the partial season of Birds of Prey. I do give the show props for using the likes of Aquaman, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, and yes, Green Arrow. Kara on that show was essentially wasted space of a character.

But yeah, if you don't like filler, DEF not the show for you.
                  It's not filler that I dislike (every show with "longer" seasons has them and many are still quite enjoyable) but rather the idealistic melodrama most of the DC shows have spun into their shows (Smallville, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl...). I don't watch TV to relive my angsty high school days and teenage beliefs about first/true love merely because of a crush somebody has on somebody else. I'd rather be entertained with a decent storyline without the melodrama even if the story is somewhat ludicris.

Comment

It's not filler that I dislike (every show with "longer" seasons has them and many are still quite enjoyable) but rather the idealistic melodrama most of the DC shows have spun into their shows (Smallville, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl...). I don't watch TV to relive my angsty high school days and teenage beliefs about first/true love merely because of a crush somebody has on somebody else. I'd rather be entertained with a decent storyline without the melodrama even if the story is somewhat ludicris.
                    That's simply today's generation of story telling, mate. Gone are the days of "pure fantasy" like the olden days of TV. Now everything, including comic book/fantasy/scifi shows, has to be mixed with aprox 90% real life drama for the fans to identify with or risk losing ratings. That was one of my beefs with Smallville as well, you got probably a good 5, MAYBE 10 mins of DC/Superman lore and maximum and the rest of it was high school drama in early seasons then adult drama in later seasons.

Comment

That's simply today's generation of story telling, mate. Gone are the days of "pure fantasy" like the olden days of TV. Now everything, including comic book/fantasy/scifi shows, has to be mixed with aprox 90% real life drama for the fans to identify with or risk losing ratings. That was one of my beefs with Smallville as well, you got probably a good 5, MAYBE 10 mins of DC/Superman lore and maximum and the rest of it was high school drama in early seasons then adult drama in later seasons.
                      I maybe a bit biased since I do prefer Marvel over DC but I try to give DC a shot whenever possible. Marvel has done a much better job of leaving out the angsty melodrama from their shows, the only show DC is good at leaving it out of seems to be Batman. I can handle seeing Wolverine and Cyclops pining over Jean Grey in a love triangle when it doesn't take center stage but I don't need to watch an entire season of Oliver moping around about Felicity being the light of his life. There is a difference in how you can tell a story and DC is definitely not doing it anywhere near satisfaction. Now I can understand DC fans grabbing onto anything they can get but you're getting fed some really poor material at the moment. As cheesy as Linda Carter's Wonder Woman was in the '70's, it was still better than the past two seasons of Arrow as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I'd rather see them just cast an adult Superman at this point. I don't know if that is possible or not considering potential restrictions that they might be under, but it would be a lot of fun to see an adult Superman pop in to mentor Supergirl every now and then. So long as they don't overdo it by having him around all of the time, that's what I'd really like to see happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan
                          I'd rather see them just cast an adult Superman at this point. I don't know if that is possible or not considering potential restrictions that they might be under, but it would be a lot of fun to see an adult Superman pop in to mentor Supergirl every now and then. So long as they don't overdo it by having him around all of the time, that's what I'd really like to see happen.
                          Negative. WB is being so uptight about their JLA movies now that they're paranoid over Disney/Marvel's success. Since they are now paranoid about losing to those guys big time, it's a big no-no to ANY major JLA member as far as TV is concerned. They don't want to risk losing even "more" money by giving us a chance to watch Superman OR Batman on TV for free (even though logically speaking shows for them are no-brainers.). Same logic applies to Wonder Woman and now, Green Lantern, apparently.

Frankly, if we didn't start getting Flash and Arrow when we did, they probably wouldn't even have given us those characters on TV. I'm still praying to the Hollywood Gods that they just don't up and pull the plug on their DC shows as is, because with the horrendous character design and actor choices alone (I'm looking at you, Will Smith) show me that these movies are going to be terrible. I NEED these TV shows just to wash my eyes out and clense them of these terrible movies.

Comment

I am really hoping this young Superman is really Kon-El rather than a young Clark.

Comment

Negative. WB is being so uptight about their JLA movies now that they're paranoid over Disney/Marvel's success. Since they are now paranoid about losing to those guys big time, it's a big no-no to ANY major JLA member as far as TV is concerned. They don't want to risk losing even "more" money by giving us a chance to watch Superman OR Batman on TV for free (even though logically speaking shows for them are no-brainers.). Same logic applies to Wonder Woman and now, Green Lantern, apparently.

Frankly, if we didn't start getting Flash and Arrow when we did, they probably wouldn't even have given us those characters on TV. I'm still praying to the Hollywood Gods that they just don't up and pull the plug on their DC shows as is, because with the horrendous character design and actor choices alone (I'm looking at you, Will Smith) show me that these movies are going to be terrible. I NEED these TV shows just to wash my eyes out and clense them of these terrible movies.
                              While it's true Disney has had a lot of success with its marvel based movies, it's also true they have had many missteps too. Fantastic Four, Hulk the recent Spider-Man reboot come to mind. Ant-man and Thor were only mediocre movies propped up by marvel fanboys. It's my opinion that the success of marvel at the box office has less to do with them, and more to do with Robert Downey Jr. Pull RDJ out of the equation and the movies crumble like a Jenga tower. As for DC, they have always worried about over saturation of their characters. The reason we got G.A. back in the 40's was because they didn't want to over use Batman, so this is nothing new.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎