3 9.68%

2 6.45%

1 3.23%

0 0%
  • 1 - Shrink it and don't find it again for a while

13 41.94%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    LOT rant time

This episode is basically evidence that ramping up LOT over several episodes had consequences for Arrow, and overall not in a positive sense. It just seems that they are more than willing in S4 to invest in getting LOT up to speed and cannibalizing (yes: cannibalizing) Arrow characters, plots and simply airing time over multiple episodes to get this done. Maybe viewers -- who no longer consider Arrow as appointment viewing -- may be indifferent or don't care that the show that basically opened the gates in the TV universe, post-SV, for Flash, Gotham, Constantine (briefly), Supergirl and now LOT to even have the opportunity to air is currently being creatively gutted/sacrificed to give LOT a running start.

And while Arrow has and does provide reasons for criticism re: its writing, characterizations, plots etc. I also don't relish or take pleasure in its mistreatment in this fashion. That this is being done to essentially the senior superhero show currently on TV should be worrying to viewers at the very least, because it means that something like this can be done to your show too.

Flash has overtaken Arrow at present in terms of (consistent) quality, though it's not perfect either. It has its own fair share of CW juvenile melodrama and cheese and to pretend otherwise would be disingenuous. It's DNA they share not only with Arrow but with their now-retired network older brother Smallville.

If you're a fan of Cisco, I would be concerned going forward how his arc may be impacted with this sudden shipping with Kendra. Flash seems to be enduring these LOT prequel injections better, as several of their future LOT characters have already been fleshed out eg. Cold, Firestorm (not so sure about Firestorm 2.0), but it remains to be seen if Flash too will experience LOT prequel blowback.

I guess you could say I'm a bit mad/disappointed/concerned that Arrow (the series) is being stalled or regressing in the first half of this season as a result of decisions that don't have much to do with the show itself -- at least while these LOT prequels have hijacked Arrow episodes. Fine, I can acknowledge that necessity is driving it -- without it being done, LOT has squat before 2016 re: establishing their roster and backstory. Would it be too much to ask that they make some effort to mesh these LOT subplots better with the actual series they're relying on for exposure and time? They know how to do it better -- just look at how Flash is handling their own LOT baggage. Why can't they do the same on Arrow? They don't know how to? Or can't be bothered to.

I'm playing my broken record again, you've heard it before in various forms. If Arrow's LOT-fused episodes this season 'suck', is it all 100% Arrow's fault that they do? No, because Arrow has had writing, characterization problems since S1. Some of it lands on Arrow itself. But -- we're talking specifically this season, the past few episodes. What's the variable that has invaded the first half of this season that did not exist previously? LOT scenes, LOT characters, LOT subplots -- all being wedged into Arrow and Flash without necessarily considering how or if they align with what's going on in those shows.

Arrow's own issues hold some responsibility for the meh episodes of late, but what I'm saying is the lion's share of responsibility in the first half for botching up story arcs, delaying others, altering or neglecting decent character development lands with -- you guessed it -- LOT: it's scenes, its subplots, its characters.

It would be more accurate to say that these LOT episodes are sucking, because from what I've seen (esp this episode) Arrow characters, plots etc. don't really factor into these episodes, beyond the usual melodrama and flimsy plot links to Darhk's story arc. LOT doesn't get immunity from me for gutting the past few Arrow episodes of actual Arrow content. Maybe some viewers don't care that LOT is doing this to Arrow, but I do. Arrow's not a spectacular show, I'm not saying it is. But when LOT's pillaging time, effort and story at Arrow's expense -- even Arrow's biggest detractors can see how this would disappoint and irritate Arrow fans that have invested in the the fates of these characters.

If viewers (in general, not necessarily here) somehow still think LOT has zero liability for what's happening to Arrow so far in S4, in spite of all this, all I can say is: wow. The evidence is all there on-screen. I won't mince words here. For these episodes, it's LOT that is making Arrow suck.

If the second half of Arrow's S4 can't pick up steam as a result of propping up LOT's launch (and paying a bigger price creatively than Flash), then LOT must share some of the blame for this too. I know, Arrow's multi-season baggage would be a factor post-crossovers, but the post-LOT fallout would have already impacted Arrow too.

[And on a less-serious note, tongue firmly in cheek: Heads-up, when LOT finally airs, the other shoe drops ... and it's LOT that commits the sort of writing/character sins that now surface in Arrow, Flash etc. ... maybe I'll be the one relishing pointing them out. Like a squirrel counting acorns: "Oh there's one! Oh, wait there's another one! Hold on, there's another one! Wait, I think I found another one!" *cackles manically* It's only fair. This would be the blowback on LOT for jamming up Arrow's S4. Pray that LOT is the best show in the history of genre television.]

So 13 users, including me, gave this episode a 1/10.
    Someone send this thread link to Marc Guggenheim, and Wendy Mericle.

Quote Originally Posted by BkWurm1 View Post
    All of season three he was faithful to a woman he wasn't even in a relationship with. I expect nothing less when he is actually IN the relationship with her.
    I couldn't sum it better than DoubleDevil already did.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDevil View Post
    That's just the point, Oliver Queen is not a faithful one-woman type character (neither in the comics nor on this show up until full blown Olicity) but when it revolves around Felicity suddenly he jumps completely out of character and becomes the most faithful little puppy to please this badass wonder woman who has nearly zero character depth. You and I will definitely disagree on the amount of depth Felicity has but it's hard to deny how out of character Oliver is when it comes to his relationship with her.
    I will add only that there is no way that any woman can change guy in the way they are portraying it in the show. Especially that Oliver has a long history of cheating on women he was with. What made Felicity so special that she was able to put him on some kind of spell?

When it comes to Oliver's relationship with women it's just hard to assume that if will last forever and Felicity should be smart enough to realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post
    I have just watched the "Lost Souls" episode, and for me the greatest problem is that it feels like such BAD and boring television! In my eyes "Arrow" has become a travesty of the show I fell in love with in season one, and right now I'm not sure if the writers will ever be able to recover some of the qualities that got me hooked in the first place. I don't know if it is the mediocre acting from (primarely) EBR and SA, or the lackluster, clunky writing/dialogue, but this episode was a chore to get through...and that is something I never thought I would say about an "Arrow" episode.
    Well said, evaba, that was also my main complaint. Due to that nostalgia to season 1 I can really, really forgive "Arrow" almost everything, but the last thing a tv show should be is being boring...

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarice View Post
    I will add only that there is no way that any woman can change guy in the way they are portraying it in the show. Especially that Oliver has a long history of cheating on women he was with. What made Felicity so special that she was able to put him on some kind of spell?

When it comes to Oliver's relationship with women it's just hard to assume that if will last forever and Felicity should be smart enough to realize that.
    Felicity used Magic because her dad is Sebastian Faust the son of Felix Faust.

I'm kind of joking because Oliver has to be under a spell but if I wanted to be less serious I was going to say her dad is Klarion the Witch Boy.

Felix Faust exist in this universe since Constantine's appearance retroactively made his show canon with this universe.

Posting Pro
    All of season three he was faithful to a woman he wasn't even in a relationship with. I expect nothing less when he is actually IN the relationship with her.
    That's just the point, Oliver Queen is not a faithful one-woman type character (neither in the comics nor on this show up until full blown Olicity) but when it revolves around Felicity suddenly he jumps completely out of character and becomes the most faithful little puppy to please this badass wonder woman who has nearly zero character depth. You and I will definitely disagree on the amount of depth Felicity has but it's hard to deny how out of character Oliver is when it comes to his relationship with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarice View Post
    I couldn't sum it better than DoubleDevil already did.

Although I definitely agree that season three and four Oliver has become a shell of the intriguing and complex character he once was, I don't think that his attitude towards women is the real problem here. The Oliver Queen who returned to Star(ling) city after five years in hell was not a cheater...he was a man who was ready to commit himself to the woman he loved. In fact, the whole point of season one was to show that Oliver was indeed a changed man when it comes to how he treats women. I'm saying this because I don't think him sleeping with Helena, or dating McKenna shows that he is some kind of philanderer...he was a single man with normal needs and emotions and I think it would have been odd if he has stayed celibate during his first year back home. I don't consider hooking up with Sara cheating either, although it was certainly ill-adviced, considering the circumstances. The only time when Oliver regressed to his pre-Island self was when he had that one-night stand with Isabel Rochev.

So, it's not the fact that Oliver is now a one-woman man that bothers me, but the fact that he seems to have gone through some kind of personality transplant, and that the Oliver/Felicity relationship is so trite and boring in my eyes. I don't know if it's the writing or the acting, but watching the Olicity scenes in this ep truly felt like watching a tumblr fan fic, or the most generic and formulaic romance writing. Even though Felicity and Oliver were supposed to be going through a crisis in "Lost Souls" (mostly due to Felicity's feeling that she had abandoned Ray because she lost herself to Oliver) there was IMHO no real tension or depth to their discussions/confrontations. It felt as though the actors went through the motions of being angry/stressed out (which in EBR's case sometimes resulted in her appearing as petulant rather than upset) or apologetic (which in SA's case made him look like a bit like a "faithful puppy"). Maybe it's because I'm too old, but to me there is something almost juvenile about their lovers' spats that makes it hard for me to become invested in them.

For the record I don't think that the season one Oliver and Laurel interaction was always particularly well-written either, but I could still feel that there were so many unstated feelings, and so much baggage between them that their scenes actually became interesting for me (I guess I prefer messy romances, because many other fans found the same scenes off-putting!). There are also many later Laurel/Oliver scenes (especially in season two) which in my eyes are much more "raw" and intense than the season four Olicity scenes, something which may be due to the writing or to the fact that Katie Cassidy is a more experienced actress than EBR, and thus elevates Stephen's acting a bit as well.

Now, to return to the new domesticated, happy and content Oliver Queen, I'm not sure if I think this guy is very interesting or engaging to watch anymore. Season four Oliver is undoubtedly closer to Stephen's real personality, and Stephen seems to be a supernice guy and a model husband/father. It's just that I prefer my comic book heroes to be a bit damaged and anguished, like season one/two Oliver, or Matt Murdock/Daredevil. Flash is supposedly a lighter show than "Arrow", but even Barry has his inner demons to fight. I understand that Oliver has to evolve and become closer to his comic book persona, but I frankly don't think that the "Arrow" version of Oliver Queen will ever be able to emulate comic book Ollie's wit and unique style. So, when Oliver is stripped off his emotional baggage and scars, he frankly becomes rather shallow and uninteresting in my eyes, not unlike the usual protagonists in CW youth-oriented drama shows.

I would say that it's this personality change, in combination with a romance that I don't find particularly well-written or well-acted, that is the problem, not the fact that Oliver has become a faithful one-woman man. I personally think Oliver/Green Arrow would have been more enjoyable as a single man, who would maintain friendly relationships with the women in his life (Thea, Laurel, Felicity). Olicity just doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the series, and when the emphasis falls too heavily on these two characters, to the detriment of other characters (like Sara, who was short-changed in this ep), it feels like the very DNA of the show has changed so drastically that it might as well be a totally different series than the one I fell in love with in season one.
    Last edited by evaba; 11-13-2015 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halberdier17 View Post
    Felicity used Magic because her dad is Sebastian Faust the son of Felix Faust.

I'm kind of joking because Oliver has to be under a spell but if I wanted to be less serious I was going to say her dad is Klarion the Witch Boy.

Felix Faust exist in this universe since Constantine's appearance retroactively made his show canon with this universe.
    If we're going to come up with magical explanations for Felicity's popularity here's mine. Felicity is a daughter of Vandal Savage, this would make her a latent, naturally occurring meta human, and explains her mental prowess. As a meta, maybe she gives off pheromones that makes her irresistible. I was just kidding when I started writing this, but sadly it does sound like something they would do.

Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    LOT rant time

This episode is basically evidence that ramping up LOT over several episodes had consequences for Arrow, and overall not in a positive sense.
    Putting aside what we as an audience may think of all this, I'm wondering if there's a fundamental structural reason for all this. Ask: Why LoT in the first place? I think it's because they know Arrow won't last beyond S5, so they need to launch the spin-off off Arrow, while they still could. Ergo, they sacrificed part of S4. If you think about it, Arrow has always sacrificed Arrow for Bat Man related characters and stories anyway. Arrow has always been a Batverse spin-off if you will, so this is just a logical extension of the show. The show hasn't been Arrow since S1. It's annoying, but I've adjusted. Truth is, if I'm honest, I didn't actually start enjoying Arrow until Merlyn showed his true colors, and they integrated him into the Batverse spin-off with the League connection. I love the League, the metas and magic, and I was kind of just waiting for that stuff, so I don't feel the sense of loss others do. But, I get where that sense of loss comes from, and we really do need holodecks frankly.

New In Town

Best Characterization of a Relationship on the show yet.

Crosspost from another forum. I Thought this was the best the writers have written Felicity and Olicity

Last night the premise of the show was simple yet brilliant with regards to Felicity and her relationship with Oliver.

What Felicity did at the end of last season was something rash, impulsive and completely human. Felicity huge break through to why she does what she does came after Oliver's death. Post episode "Left Behind" (310) Felicity figured out that she fights crime for others, so others can have the opportunity to live a full life and live in peace. With and without Oliver that is what she does, she would rather do this mission with him, but it's as much hers and it is anyone elses.

Then Oliver is back, they go through thier ups and downs, and Finally Oliver says he is ready to have a life with her, AWAY from all the crime fighting. The man she loves or doing what she views as integral to her being. She picked, Oliver, picked love.

There arises the issue for tonight. Felicity can't just pick Oliver, she wants both Oliver and her mission. SHe wants the same thing she was asking Oliver to have all last season. Be with her and continue his mission. She never wanted him to pick or pick herself.

Oliver wanting to leave the mission led her to quitting, and she couldn't, she was helping the team while away from the mission. This is what scares her about the love she has for Oliver, it scares her that she is able to sacrifice so much without much thought because she loves him that much. She is scared she loves him too much. Felicity was playing the role of the Hero who has to make the decision of how much to give or hold back from the person she loves and how that effects her mission.

The conversation between, Oliver and Felicity is a thing of beauty. 1st she blames herself for Ray. Oliver quickly figures out that, her blaming herself for Ray makes no sense. Then her real guilt comes out, she feels guilty for leaving her mission something that is such a vital part of her. And the reason being is that loving Oliver is so easy and she loves him so much she is willing to sacrifice parts of herself and still be happy, but still feel something is missing.

This the hero's girlfriend telling the hero, I have a mission and me loving you so much distracts me from said mission. They flipped the roles, and did it in the most subtle of ways.

Oliver's reaction to all this, is obviously human and goes straight to, I'm I not enough for her, what's missing? This is one of the few times where Oliver is actually ahead of Felicity in growth (Those 5 months away did his brain some good). For him he already lost himself in Felicity, him losing himself in her is the reason he realizes he wants this mission as bad as ever, he wants this mission so bad, he made a new mission in running for mayor. He is completely okay with losing himself in her, because when he does, he finds a common want and need, he sees a better him. He is questioning why she doesn't see the same thing. Maybe she will better off with Ray, he also has a mission, they have more in common. Then Diggle, made it clear to him, she picked him, just give her sometime, she will catch up. Felicity is the one catching up for once.

Then Felicity and her mom have an important conversation. Her mom tells her it's okay to lose herself in Oliver. She didn't say its okay to lose yourself in anyone. SHe specifically said Oliver. She gives her own example of how losing yourself in the wrong person can be an issue and lead to heartache and disappointment. SHe tells Felicity that Felicity is not her, and Oliver is not Felicity's father. Oliver has already lost himself and is completely in love with Felicity. Oliver staying to be GA had as much to do with him wanting to as it did with Felicity wanting them to stay. So when Felicity looks at Oliver no matter how in love she is with him, she will always find herself.

You can't lose yourself in a bad way with someone that puts your needs and well being above thiers. That was the message Felicity learned tonight, the message Oliver learned when he decided to come back and told Felicity it wont be easy but its worth it.
    So fall in love, fall deeper, don't hold back, take the guards down. You wont lose your mission or self purpose by doing so, because the person you love values that more than they value themself.

I take issue with people who say that comics Ollie was a straight up womanizer. He wasn't the serial cheater that he's often painted as. Unless I missed something, there were only two occasions that would actually be considered 'cheating' over the course of their relationship. And to get an often cited (incorrectly, imho) example: Shado drugged him and slept with him while he was hallucinating that he was sleeping with Dinah. This was not cheating, this was rape. It was even acknowledged as rape later in the series, which is unusual considering that it's not often that anyone acknowledges that it's possible to rape men.

Setting that aside, during the Seattle years, (The Longbow Hunters and the Green Arrow series that followed after that) the relationship with Oliver and Dinah ended after another woman kissed him and he somewhat kissed her back. And the only other instance of cheating was after Oliver had come back from the dead, gotten back together with Dinah, and he slept with someone else. I'm not going to be a cheating apologist, but it wasn't like he was cheating on Dinah right and left. And when they were married, he was faithful to her but things fell apart due to secrets being kept (and... *cough* editorial decree)

That aside, the Arrow version of Oliver has been more of a serial monagamist post-Island. If anything, I think it's at least somewhat in character for him to want to lose himself in a relationship.

What I take issue with is the fact that the writers are pretending that six months with Felicity could cure his PTSD (and this is backed up by not only what we've seen in the show, but both Wendy and Marc have mentioned that in interviews). That's really insulting to people who actually deal with PTSD because it's not something that just goes away with the love of a good woman. Now, if they'd simply shown that he was finding better ways to cope with it, that would have been much better. But pretending that it's completely gone and cured by love is just really bad writing.

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamsofnever View Post
    I take issue with people who say that comics Ollie was a straight up womanizer. He wasn't the serial cheater that he's often painted as. Unless I missed something, there were only two occasions that would actually be considered 'cheating' over the course of their relationship. And to get an often cited (incorrectly, imho) example: Shado drugged him and slept with him while he was hallucinating that he was sleeping with Dinah. This was not cheating, this was rape. It was even acknowledged as rape later in the series, which is unusual considering that it's not often that anyone acknowledges that it's possible to rape men.

Setting that aside, during the Seattle years, (The Longbow Hunters and the Green Arrow series that followed after that) the relationship with Oliver and Dinah ended after another woman kissed him and he somewhat kissed her back. And the only other instance of cheating was after Oliver had come back from the dead, gotten back together with Dinah, and he slept with someone else. I'm not going to be a cheating apologist, but it wasn't like he was cheating on Dinah right and left. And when they were married, he was faithful to her but things fell apart due to secrets being kept (and... *cough* editorial decree)

That aside, the Arrow version of Oliver has been more of a serial monagamist post-Island. If anything, I think it's at least somewhat in character for him to want to lose himself in a relationship.

What I take issue with is the fact that the writers are pretending that six months with Felicity could cure his PTSD (and this is backed up by not only what we've seen in the show, but both Wendy and Marc have mentioned that in interviews). That's really insulting to people who actually deal with PTSD because it's not something that just goes away with the love of a good woman. Now, if they'd simply shown that he was finding better ways to cope with it, that would have been much better. But pretending that it's completely gone and cured by love is just really bad writing.
    Very true. Oliver in the comics is not like the cheater they say he is. Oh the fact they completely wiped away his PTSD due to apparently spending six months with Felicity is very bad writing and like you said an insult to the people have to live with it in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggard01 View Post
    Very true. Oliver in the comics is not like the cheater they say he is. Oh the fact they completely wiped away his PTSD due to apparently spending six months with Felicity is very bad writing and like you said an insult to the people have to live with it in real life.
    Thanks! It doesn't help that even in the comics, other characters sometimes act like he's cheated on Dinah SO many times (there was one comic in the lead up to the BC/GA wedding where Dinah specifically calls Babs out on this and clarifies that what happened with Shado was rape) so I understand why people have that in their minds as a character trait.

And the PTSD thing is just such a shame because season one and season two did a really good job of painting both Oliver and Sara as struggling with it and showing that it's messy and painful and can really color all a person's interactions. And it's just such a shame that the writers wanted to simplify things and give Oliver a fairytale happily ever after and now they're trying to juxtapose that happily ever after with the action and drama going on with the rest of the show and it just doesn't fit in my opinion. I don't need to see Oliver miserable all the time, but seeing him realistically dealing with the trauma he experienced and not just shifting into househusband mode would have been better.

Posting Pro
    One thing I've just now thought of is when Oliver got sent to Lian Yu did he get his long bow and the classic hood with him? Or is that still in Coast City somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Raissa View Post
    Ask: Why LoT in the first place? I think it's because they know Arrow won't last beyond S5, so they need to launch the spin-off off Arrow, while they still could. Ergo, they sacrificed part of S4. If you think about it, Arrow has always sacrificed Arrow for Bat Man related characters and stories anyway. Arrow has always been a Batverse spin-off if you will, so this is just a logical extension of the show. The show hasn't been Arrow since S1.
    While I do miss the uncompromising, as-close-to-GA-as-we-'d-get (and, yes, too-dark for CW) tone of S1, I've accepted for a few seasons now that Arrow is its own thing after 3+ seasons and obedience to GA's comics canon is in the rearview mirror. The showrunners love Batman, TDK trilogy -- so do I -- and the shadow of the Bat is all over this show. Even if some take issue with using so much Bat influences, these same elements largely made the show fun and interesting. Who didn't love Ollie and Ra's dueling to the death that first time, that was cinematically awesome -- maybe not so much their lukewarm second fight. It would have been nice if they used more of GA's own cast of rogues, but it's been a Batman-by-proxy tv series for some time.

Arrow is integrated into the larger DC TV universe, with Flash's entry signalling that Ollie exists in a world with metas and magic. I guess it's the idea of Arrow leaving behind its more rooted-in-reality origins (which Flash never had to worry about from the start) that has taken me time to accept.

If they truly are sticking to the five-year arc they envisioned when Arrow premiered, it's the whole blatant way they're carving out Arrow's innards, creatively speaking, to serve their spinoff that irks me. A part of me understands this had to be done to give LOT a fighting chance next year, which it likely wouldn't had Arrow (and to a lesser degree, Flash) not taken the bullet for it this season.

It's also entirely possible it's a mountains-'n-molehills situation and both Arrow's second half and LOT as a series will surprise and even impress us. Trying to be glass half-full, which is hard with this past LOT episode that isn't even pretending to be Arrow.

I'm going to check out LOT, I'm just as curious as anyone, but how Arrow survives the blowback both now and beyond the crossovers and LOT's launch will affect my enjoyment of the spinoff. There will be a sour taste if Arrow as a series limps into a future S4 finale as a result of propping up LOT now.

What I'm saying is that I won't give LOT my loyalty and appreciation by default of getting prequels on Arrow and Flash. Like Arrow and Flash (and any other show I watch), they will have to earn it from me with good stories and characters -- Facebook likes, Twitter retweets, online buzz and showrunner teases be damned. I guess we could say that LOT is already on notice with these prequels and the upcoming crossovers will be our first real test of its quality and merits as a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggard01 View Post
    The end of his PTSD didn't happen in six months but over the course of the whole show, so three years he spent getting closer to having a handle on it and the when he went away he was finally able to put it mostly behind him and change his outlook on life. It wasn't quick or overnight but something he had been overcoming for years.

Part of his PTSD linger in his initial reluctance to go anywhere near the fight again and the obsessive distractions he plunged into while away that manifested his sudden domestic diva skills. But he'd been learning a new way of thinking and reacting to his stressors and yeah, this is TV so everything happens too fast (hello stabbed in the back with a six inch blade but is fine a few hours later) but the healing process has been happening since his return to Starling and his family.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast