Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Fight or Flight?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

With SM being in this universe it will always be an issue.. Kryptonians ones he may be related to come looking for Kara.. Are we to believe SM wouldn't get involved? That's insane knowing SM knows what type of carnage they can unleash..

Maybe say Superman left like in (the abysmal) Superman Returns.. But his presence will undermine her character if this is the way he's going to be used..

Comment

Loved it!

Comment

Isn't it ironic that for all the preachy stuff they talk about..... they end up undermining the whole message of female empowerment and how Supergirl can stand on her own?

Comment

I think the whole messaging, either with Supergirl being shown as a superhero that can stand on her own without help, or as a female superhero -- the "first" to front her own superhero series as a lead, in the post-SV TV universe anyway -- is still more telling vs. showing in the series.

This is where the after-school guidance counsellor tone tends to surface, as if they don't trust the audience enough to come to the conclusion that it's a big deal she's being hero on her own and won't need Superman's help on a typical mission.

This is not to say that Supergirl should never ever ask for help. (I think someone of Ra's or Zoom's threat-level would be worth some kind of assistance -- and not automatically Supes either.) It's the context. In a typical prison escapee/meta-villain/accident/natural disaster vs. Kara episode, these should not require a Supes-get-out-of-jam card.

I would agree that the 'Can't we just call Superman up when we're in a jam?' was an issue they wisely tackled ASAP, hence the Supes references out the wazoo in this episode. They needed to put it behind them in the series, for the sake of Supergirl as a hero in her own right. Having said that, there should be a 'Blur' Superman embargo for the rest of S1 if they want to confirm the reality that Supergirl can hold her own, thanks, without James pressing the Supes panic button whenever Kara doesn't wrap up a fight in five minutes.

In one of the reviews out there, they said James earned the "right" to be called 'Jimmy' (not a compliment here), after going back on his own (correct) belief in the previous episode that being in NC meant that he could carve his own destiny beyond Supes' shadow. He did the opposite when it came to Kara being in a jam. So yeah, Jimmy, thanks for not heeding your own wisdom. He'll have to earn back the right to be called the more adult, sensible 'James' next episode. This may take awhile if he's going to be caught up a love triangle with Kara and ex- Lucy.

They are still telling us Kara is all these great things, represents all these great things, but it's the showing that still is a work in progress. The Superman issue is behind them, it's now time to prove that this is going to be the case for Kara and the series. Show us it's the case with her actions, instead of merely telling us is that it is so.

This is also where they need to tread carefully re: the set-up for the love triangles. They need to keep it closer to the Barry - Patty version, not like ... anything ... they've done with shipping on Arrow. (And definitely not in the destiny-stalling way Clana was handled on SV.) I might have concerns how it'll play out for Kara -- and Jimmy.

Comment

Good points/criticisms here. Still, the show has promise, especially if the writers see how the fans react (yes, a bunch are in the can, so time will tell if we see immediate improvement), but I'm liking it all in all.

Comment

The IM chat was hilarious.

"Thanks for saving my life."

"Talked to Jimmy. Won't happen again."

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡