0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Hated it!
    0%

Loved it, but I'm confused about the timeline. Merlin drank from the holy grail 1,000 years before the "age of Arthur." He meets Nimue 500 years later, which is 200 years before the present day? Merlin was trapped for the last 1,000 years.
    Last edited by stovers; 11-08-2015, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stovers
      I'm confused about the timeline. Merlin drank from the holy grail 1,000 years before the "age of Arthur." He meets Nimue 500 years later, which is 200 years before the present day? Merlin was trapped for the last 1,000 years.
      I'm not sure how much time passed, but I will say that this season has been harder to follow in terms of the flashfowards/backs. For example, I was confused as to why Emma would tell Merlin about hurting Henry—until I remembered that that occurred in Camelot. However, that flashback didn't occur until Regina accessed the dreamcatcher in present-day Storybrooke two episodes ago. I had to think for a minute.

As for me, I gave the episode an 8. I enjoyed the Merlin/Nimue backstory and that it was more focused on Emma this week.

The two things I didn't like were Arthur and Zelena. At this point, both characters are so nefarious that they're unlikable. Arthur thinks it's all about him while Zelena still thinks she should have everything that belongs to Regina. Both characters are so one-dimensional that I don't care what happens to them as long as they disappear, eventually.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode a lot more than last week's. Also, I thought the reference to the Holy Grail was interesting. I just hope the story doesn't take a biblical turn. I just don't think that element would fit well into the story.

Comment

I initially gave it a 10, but now I wish I could rate it lower for all the perceived continuity issues. I already mentioned the timeline issue. The first Dark One didn't come from the vault. Merlin didn't tether the darkness to a human soul. The Apprentice's wand which Merlin gave to him on the first day of training was forged from light and dark magic, but the Dark One came later. Nimue can't be the origin of dark magic like Merlin implied.

I really hope some of this gets explained soon.

@Aries83: I noticed the ruins where Prometheus's first flame was had a similar symbol that was on the holy grail. Perhaps the holy grail is connected to greek mythology instead of biblical mythology.
        Last edited by stovers; 11-09-2015, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stovers
          The first Dark One didn't come from the vault. Merlin didn't tether the darkness to a human soul. The Apprentice's wand which Merlin gave to him on the first day of training was forged from light and dark magic, but the Dark One came later. Nimue can't be the origin of dark magic like Merlin implied.
          I assumed that whoever drinks from the Grail becomes attached to it, but not fully.

Merlin told her—at least I think it was her—that he couldn't kill because the darkness would take over.

So, when she killed Vortigan, I thought that was the moment her soul became tethered to Excalibur, and since Merlin did create the dagger, that would apply. However, this contradicts Arthur's need of tethering Merlin's soul to the split sword—unless his soul (or anybody else's) became free of the dagger the moment she killed Vortigan and became the Dark One.

But, you are certainly right that they're making stuff up, because last time I checked, the Dark One's vault was in the EF, not Camelot. Then again, I thought they established that the vault was only a day's journey from Camelot? Either way, they're making it up because if Camelot was so close to it before, why didn't they bring up Camelot when we last saw the vault?

@Aries83: I noticed the ruins where Prometheus's first flame was had a similar symbol that was on the holy grail. Perhaps the holy grail is connected to greek mythology instead of biblical mythology.
          Well, I wondered about the biblical connection, so I did some research. It was beyond confusing, but: The Holy Grail is an object that is mentioned in literature—like Arthurian stories—while the Holy Chalice was supposedly the used by Jesus at The Last Supper to serve wine. It's actually a real object while the Grail is more literature/legend-based.

The reason some people might refer to the Holy Chalice as the Holy Grail (or vice versa) is likely because of one legend, which states that a cup—referred to as the Holy Grail—was used to collect the blood of Jesus during his Crucifixion. This probably led to the term, "Holy Grail," having a religious connection.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but it was a good read. Since the Holy Grail factors into the legend of King Arthur, the object on the show probably won't have any religious connection, but who knows.

Also, regarding the timeline, here's a comment made by somebody in an online recap:
          1000 years before present day
          500 years after is 200 years before Camelot time and Camelot time is 300 years before present day.
          I'm not sure how helpful that is, but I found it amusing...
          Last edited by Aries83; 11-10-2015, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎