0 0%
  • 1 - Episode From Hell

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Haunted?"

What did you think?

Madman With A Blue Box Austin 3:16's Avatar
    First we have a great Flash now an amazing Arrow. How the heck does this show keep improving? Constantine drops in and feels like he BELONGS there. Next week looks just as good too.

Settling In
    The tattoo thing is interesting. I never would have called that at all.

It's great seeing Matt Ryan reprise the role of Constantine, which he's always done a great job of portraying on the NBC show, and I was interested with his flashback storyline with Oliver as well. I also enjoyed the nods to the Constantine series, from the theme music to his card that he still hasn't changed to "Petty dabbler."

The only problem I have with the episode was that it felt like, especially in the beginning, the pacing felt really fast and the episode moved quickly from one plot to the other, and I felt like this episode might not have been the best time to explore Andy Diggle's storyline and for Oliver and Laurel to fix their friendship. The only reason I can think that they'd add those subplots in tonight's episode is because Constantine's role in the present-day storyline was ultimately simple and they needed to think of storylines to fill in the gaps in between the scenes with Constantine to make an hour long episode.

The episode was enjoyable overall though and I think they've pretty much set up Sara's character for Legends of Tomorrow. Now we just need to see Ray in next week's episode and then I think Arrow would've done its part in preparing for the big crossover coming in a few weeks!

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    I did wish they would've changed the opening narration they sometimes change it depending on what happens in the episode.

I just wished they changed the narration to: "My name is John Constantine. I'm the one who steps from the shadows all trench coat and arrogance. I'll drive your demons away, kick 'em in the bollocks and spit on them when the're down. Leaving only a nod and a wink and a wise crack. I walk my path alone, because let's be honest... who'd be crazy enough to walk it with me." Just for this one episode.

This was a pretty good episode on several fronts. Not perfect (more on that later).

The entry of Constantine in the Arrowverse worked out overall and he was really the only one that could have helped them with Sara (and possibly Thea in future?). Team Flash wouldn't be able to do squat about all things mystical. Team Arrow needed help and Ollie wisely asked for it. I'm glad 'What to do about Sara' was addressed quickly, instead of lingering over several more episodes.

It was a bit contrived and convenient that Constantine was on the island at the same time Ollie happened to be there for his second visit/exile, but out of necessity Ollie needed to have a reason to a) know Constantine and b) be able to ask him for help. It would be a stretch to think that the presence of Constantine alone makes the series better, but in this episode they managed to integrate him into the show (they did need his help) without it coming off as a Constantine episode that happened to have Ollie in it. This is how guest stars should be: they can share centre stage with the regulars when they appear, but the spotlight should always belong to the regulars. They managed to do this, despite Constantine's charm and wit.

The Diggle - Quentin partnership was a rare sight and it also helped to address some of the questions about Diggle's brother and why H.I.V.E. wanted him dead. It also has the benefit of removing one more plot-stalling grudge Diggle could have held, had Quentin not given him those answers.

It's great to see Quentin and Damien chew up the scenery. NM owns every scene he's in.

I was okay with the dedicated Olicity scene -- maybe because it was self-contained. That's how it should be: bite-sized, not as a main course.

It was long past time Laurel brought up some of the lingering trust/confidence issues Ollie had with her. He doesn't see her as an equal and, while he may have had some grounds to believe that even as recently as last season, it's not last season. Ollie has been away/absent -- twice -- leaving the team to carry on the mission without his presence. They've carried on without him. Any expectation he might hold that they should all just fall in line behind him without question is out the window, and I'm glad Thea reminded him that he doesn't call the shots for the team any longer. Maybe Ollie may not see Laurel (or even any other member) as his equal, but he does need to trust in them and have confidence in their ability to hold their own out there -- if only because they've had to do it without him. Twice.

I'm glad Ollie had the sense not to heed his strategist's advice to shun all things Lance, an impossible thing when Laurel moonlights as a vigilante team member he works with. We still don't know much about Ollie's mayoral platform beyond uniting and saving the city.

What keeps me from giving it a higher score is that the episode seems rather ... bloated. There's a lot going on and not all of it specifically Arrow-related. I get that they need to put the pieces in place for LOT, but some of these subplots could just as easily have appeared outside the show, on Flash, etc.

The on-going mystery about Ray's predicament would be one example. While it may be great for Curtis' development and provide Felicity for some non-Team Arrow interactions, scenes like these are more LOT prequels than Arrow scenes. The subplot involving Sara's rampage (where she somehow only kills scumbags) is also another one, basically it's a subplot needed to get Sara from A to B. It gets the job done, she's got her soul back, but it's clunky especially when you have the main characters getting entangled with both Arrow and LOT plot threads. (And hindsight may be 20/20, but wouldn't Ollie contemplating taking Thea to the Pit to save her have been an opportune time to call Constantine too?)

Progress was made on some of the main S4 story arcs (past and present), there was more about the H.I.V.E. mystery and some of the pieces for LOT are getting into place. A good (if bloated) episode. 8 / 10

Well, I was entertained by the flashbacks though it was incredibly weak that the consequences from Oliver's computer being discovered last week was the head honcho dismissing the whole issue. But sure, whatever, I'll take the entertainment. Beats the doldrums from the past few visits to Lian Yu.

Still, I think Constantine might have been a stronger presence if they had left his interactions with Oliver to the imagination. Not sure that making some dirt move and transferring a tattoo are the requirements I'd look for in someone to restore a soul. Call for a consult maybe, but Oliver was sure he could help. I needed just a little more present day interacting between them. Some mention of more than just the island meeting.

Also, could they have upped the effects budget for Sara's restoration. Maybe some kind of light show to distract from when they were "fighting for Sara's soul" There literally was a moment when Oliver and Laurel were just standing there on the lip of the hot tube with their backs to Sara floundering around crying for help while they watched JC fight. It was painfully bad. I could have used some flash to distract me from the silliness.
    The Diggle - Quentin partnership was a rare sight and it also helped to address some of the questions about Diggle's brother and why H.I.V.E. wanted him dead. It also has the benefit of removing one more plot-stalling grudge Diggle could have held, had Quentin not given him those answers.
    Enjoyed them but the cut from Oliver suggesting Quentin take back up to Quentin showing up at Dig's apartment gave me whiplash.

Poor Thea. She's still a bit too close to suicidal for my happiness and the worst thing is only the audience knows. And NotthereSara. Nyssa too but she's not sharing right now. I had hoped that Thea had moved past feeling like she deserved to die.

Moving on to a subject that had the episode not been leaked (meaning I went into it knowing since last week all the things that were going to absolutely infuriate me) I would be ranting and raving about a certain character. Instead I'll just say that no Laurel, I'm not terribly worried about your feelings at that moment after YOU let the killer sister you brought back from the dead run around for a WEEK killing people because you didn't want JUDGMENT. And now just after she tried to kill Thea, no, I don't think Oliver's first concern should be worrying about Laurel's feelings.

Ah, but as her dad said, "At least she's consistent."

I really hope that Laurel is able to find her chill in the future and keep it because I can't handle many more special episodes where Laurel is all fixed now! Let's try to keep her from acting like a moron in the first place, ok?

It definitely was a good week for the Flash and Arrow. An judging by the promos, next week's episodes could be just as good.

The good:

- My namesake. Admittedly I didn't watch the Constantine series, but I'd definitely be a fan. Matt Ryan nailed the part and he was a most welcome addition to Arrow. The producers were clever to intigrate him in both the flashback and the present day storylines in a manner that made sense and tied up loose ends. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of him on Arrow.
    - Sara is back.
    - The Oliver-Laurel scenes. Been saying it since last year, but there were a lot of unresolved issues between the two of them and most of them were born out of Oliver's tendency to keep Laurel out of the loop. Their hospital scene FINALLY brought those issues to light and I was glad to see Oliver admit his fault. Their final scene was beautiful and hopefully it brought closure.
    - Made the same observation when she appeared on the Flash: Katie Cassidy has a great smile. About time Arrow allowed her to lay back a bit.
    - The Diggle-Quentin scenes. It was an interesting team up and one has to wonder how this new information will affect Diggle.
    - Damian Darhk. Again.

The not so good:

- Oliver getting his butt handed to him again. At least the show is consistent about that in season 4.
    - It's often been mentioned that the show is inconsistent about each character's fighting skills. The same probably applies to Felicity's intellect. I mean, for the past 3 years she's hacked, decoded and fixed everything. Yet, when it's time to clear up an audio message she needs Curtis' help? Mind you, I don't mind Curtis being useful and Felicity NOT having the answer to every problem in the universe. And after dumbing down a number of characters for her benefit, I guess it was about time the shoe was on the other foot. But it would have been nice if there was some continuity to the whole thing.
    - The Olicity scene. Was the erotic hand rubbing really necessary when discussing serious matters like Sara's resurrection and Ray's death? Felt more like a wink to the Olicity fans than anything organic.

7.5/10
    Last edited by costas22; 11-05-2015 at 02:11 AM.

Posting Pro
    - The Olicity scene. Was the erotic hand rubbing really necessary when discussing serious matters like Sara's resurrection and Ray's death? Felt more like a wink to the Olicity fans than anything organic.

"Erotic handrubbing"! I think you hit the nail on the head there. Sometimes it feels as though the writers/directors include things in the Oliver/Felicity scenes which are mostly there to give the shippers their "feels", and that is probably why some of their scenes feel inorganic. It's like both Stephen and Emily are trying so damn hard to project the impression that their characters are SO much in love that their interaction doesn't feel natural anymore.

However, all in all I thought this was one of the best episodes in a long time. I especially liked the fact that Laurel and Oliver finally got some closure and were able to move on. I also want to see Laurel smile more. Maybe we should start a #Let Laurel Smile or #More HML ("Happy Smiling Laurel") scenes twitter campaign?
    Last edited by evaba; 11-05-2015 at 01:55 AM.

Posting Pro
    The Awesome:

- Constantine. I didn’t get to really see much of the series on NBC but tonight’s episode made me feel like watching it. He’s frickin’ hilarious and his devil-may-care attitude about his work just strikes a chord with me.

- The reaction of Team Green Arrow to Constantine. Ranging from Dig’s comment about where Oliver found this guy to Thea’s “a particular kind of yummy” comment that got such a wonderful reaction out of Oliver were all in character.

- Oliver-Laurel bonding. Whether they only remain friends or eventually become love interests again (though I admit I’d like to know how they would execute that considering their debacle in writing Oliver with ANY woman), the two are clearly comfortable. I love the scene that’s the opposite of 2x14 and Laurel saying “I love your family, I always have. I just wish you’d sometimes give a damn about mine.”

- Flashbacks continue to be good, and they finally get into the intriguing parts of these with the revelation that Reiter is not just growing and packaging drugs. Looking forward to how things play out.

- Sara, before and after her soul’s return. We get to see the kind of person the League would want her to be (or at least Nable!Ra’s’ LoA), and then we get a brief reunion between Sara and her family who are able to be aware of her return.

- We find out where Oliver got his Chinese symbol tattoos. Now only the Bratva tattoo remains. I would hazard a guess that tattoo will give him an edge with Darhk in the present and let them at least fight on even ground.

The Meh:

- The revelation that the island is a nexus of mystical energies. Finally we get the explanation that most of us sussed out about why people are drawn there. Also, where else can you get magic herbs that can heal so wonderfully? My guess is the Island might just have a Lazarus-like water reservoir that affects vegetation around it.

- The build-up to revealing Ray is alive. Yes, we know, just have them decode the message.

- Curtis Holt getting stereotyped as the energy-drink gulping nerd. I hate that stereotype. I only need two energy drinks to get really going. Hehehehe….

The Bad:

- Oh, look, the return of suicidal Thea. I thought we got over this bull last year?

- I don’t like the political analyst dude. Come on, Thea, you’re really going to go out with him? He’s an utter slimeball ala Sebastian Blood.

The Miscellaneous:

- Hey, look, Quentin’s got his own parking spot in the improved lair (have they decided what its called yet? I’m going with Quiver since the majority still use archery!).

- Darhk saying, “I don’t see you associating with crime lords. Present company excepted.” Well, at least he’s honest. Oh, and my inner Constantine had a snarky response to this in the form of, “Nope, he just associates with a burgeoning league of heroes who are gonna squash you like a bug.”

All in all, I give it a 9. It was an excellent episode, but I’m saving my 10s for truly awesome episodes.

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post

"Erotic handrubbing"! I think you hit the nail on the head there. Sometimes it feels as though the writers/directors include things in the Oliver/Felicity scenes which are mostly there to give the shippers their "feels", and that is probably why some of their scenes feel inorganic. It's like both Stephen and Emily are trying so damn hard to project the impression that their characters are SO much in love that their interaction doesn't feel natural anymore.

However, all in all I thought this was one of the best episodes in a long time. I especially liked the fact that Laurel and Oliver finally got some closure and were able to move on. I also want to see Laurel smile more. Maybe we should start a #Let Laurel Smile or #More HML ("Happy Smiling Laurel") scenes twitter campaign?
    Agreed on the hand-rubbing scene. I'm sorry, but they could have had the whole "they make the connection between the two women and Thea" scene in the Quiver without any nods to fans. But then again, this scene is followed later on by Felicity's comment about how she's just glad the latest person from Oliver's past isn't another gorgeous woman. Apparently, she still has doubts about their commitment to one another. Otherwise that wouldn't even be an issue.

I definitely would love to see Laurel smile more; I also found the way she said "How can I say no to the man who saved my sister's soul?" (paraphrased there) interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post

Most definitely! After having her sister killed and resurrected twice and after all the turmoil she's gone through with her father, I don't think anyone would begrudge the writers if they gave us a happy Laurel from now on. She's already used up her frequent drama miles!

Didn't know how else to describe that Olicity scene. It was a moment where I wanted to understand how Oliver feels about Sara or how Felicity feels about Ray and the hand rubbing was just too distracting. Maybe a nitpick on my part, but the balance of that scene felt wrong. Like you said, they were trying too hard with the romantic element.

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    I didn't really like the comment after Diggle said "Where did Oliver find him, the Luxor?"

Felicity said "I'm just happy that somebody from Oliver's past isn't a beautiful woman." I think it was supposed to be made as a joke but it makes Felicity come off as jealous.

John Constatine made a comment that he had returned a soul to a body a yea before - was that perhaps Tommy? o;liver did mention Tommy again this episode, quite out of nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowaddict22 View Post
    John Constatine made a comment that he had returned a soul to a body a yea before - was that perhaps Tommy? o;liver did mention Tommy again this episode, quite out of nowhere
    No, he was referencing an episode of his show where he bound the spirit of a killer back into its body.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast