Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Ajala (Supergirl) is joining the cast as a series regular next season.

https://tvline.com/2019/07/20/star-t...id-ajala-book/

If you saw the season finale you know [SPOILER] Michael and some of the Discovery crew jumped into the future. It’s been revealed how far into the future.[/SPOILER]

https://deadline.com/2019/07/star-tr...on-1202649788/
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 07-20-2019, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Kept waiting for the rest of the crew to show up.

Michael thinks that it's impossible for the Federation to be gone, almost a thousand years into the future. The British Empire came and went. The Russian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, the Roman Empire, the German Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire. All great powers have both a sunrise and a sunset. Why would the Federation be any different? Sure, you don't spend all day thinking about when the end might come, but you shouldn't regard the end as something impossible. All you can do is hope that, when the sunset arrives for a great power, it's non-violent and that the replacement(s) is a benevolent power.

When Book linked the end of the Federation to "the Burn", I got nervous that they'd try to link the end of the Federation to Michael (Burnham).
            Last edited by jon-el87; 10-16-2020, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• I haven’t seen the season premiere yet but, it’s been renewed for S4!!!

Comment

• I really liked the cinematography in this first episode. I don’t know where they filmed but, the location was simply beautiful.

I’m ok if we spend another episode or two with Burnham and Book. It’s obvious where they’re going with those two; the chemistry is absolutely there. Besides I’d like to learn a bit more about Book and his ability to channel nature.

Originally posted by jon-el87

When Book linked the end of the Federation to "the Burn", I got nervous that they'd try to link the end of the Federation to Michael (Burnham).
                We don’t know yet that it isn’t linked to her. It would be a bit too obvious but, than again they could be telling us that it is Burnham from episode one. It’s never simple with time travel. Regardless, we’ll learn how exactly the Federation “burned” through the course of this season.

Comment

• Hopefully, Anthony Rapp will eventually post a picture of himself on Twitter, sporting a T-shirt with that text. I always like Rapp and Cruz's scenes together.

After an all-Michael episode, I appreciate the others getting an episode to themselves (even if Michael then shows up at the end and saves the day. Because, of course, she has to). Really thought the other characters got a chance to shine. Being more like the protagonists and the ones that get to save the day, when Michael isn't around to fix everything for them.

Curious to know what's up with Detmer. Is it some trauma, caused by the crash... or is there something more sinister going on? Kept expecting Detmer (who is a cyborg) to be revealed to have been infected by Control. Maybe she will.
                  Last edited by jon-el87; 02-20-2022, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• It was nice to get a chance to focus on the rest of the Discovery crew/cast for an episode.

Curious to know what's up with [SPOILER]Detmer. Is it some trauma, caused by the crash... or is there something more sinister going on? Kept expecting Detmer (who is a cyborg) to be revealed to have been infected by Control. Maybe she will.[/SPOILER]
                    I was wondering the same thing. Keyla seemed off even after she was cleared from sickbay.

Anyway...

I really love Michelle Yeoh; she’s just such a treasure. I need to see her get more action like in this second episode. Her snarky comments throughout the episodes were priceless but, she also can still kick butt. I really hope she does get her own series eventually. We know as this series/universe expands her anti-hero antics are going to be that much more entertaining to watch.

I also really like Jett (Tig Notaro) she brings a similar snark but, she does it as a way to help others unlike Georgiou who’s too smart for her own good.

Even though I’ve never watched “The Walking Dead”...I understood the Negan reference made (which other sites pointed out) in this episode. It was more western inspired though, with Tilly and Saru going into the town/the saloon and having to save the miners (why is it always miners or farmers, or simple folk in these things? it’s such a tired trope) from Zareh and his croons.

So Michael landed a year before the rest of the crew. I hope we get some flashbacks to what she’s been up to with Book. I assume she’s come to understand what happened during “the burn”...at least learn a bit about the history of who or what caused the Federation’s end.

I do have one nagging nitpick...Its just that everyone figures out that they’re time travelers from the past and come to that realization so quickly. Are they just that easy to spot (besides their federation uniforms)?

Comment

• This latest episode felt like it was the last part of a 3-part season premiere...we first got to see what Michael was up to, meeting & teaming up with Book, than we saw what happened to the crew which lead to the two groups coming together in a side mission before they embarked on their own season long quest at the end.

So in the first few minutes of the episode (as I figured), Michael explains “The Burn” and what happened...[SPOILER] The dilithium that powered the warp cores on the starships spontaneously ignited all at once throughout the galaxy killing millions and wiping out the Federation in the process. So dilithium became a very hot commodity and even those still on Earth had to defend themselves from privacy of their supply. And during the year Michael spent with Book, she became a courier trading goods/services for dilithium as payment (stock piling it) in order for her to be able to explore the universe in search for Discovery. [/SPOILER] I’m still confused as to why everyone wants dilithium with what happened!?!?

It feels like the cast is finally enjoying themselves and having some fun. There was a bit of humor in this episode. [SPOILER]I got a good laugh when Book didn’t realize the “spinning thing” would happen using the spores to beam to Earth. And not to mention the love he has for his beloved cat, Queen and that inside joke he had with Michael. As well as the Tilly/Michael moment. [/SPOILER]But some of the best bits were once again with Michelle Yeoh...

[SPOILER]Georgiou always has a knack at speaking the truth when nobody asked her opinion. In the year since Michael arrived she has tasted freedom like she’s never had before and didn’t want to be anchored down. So, I’m a bit surprised that in the end she decided to be Saru’s #1 regardless what she experienced in the last year[/SPOILER].

Finally...

[SPOILER]We have another character who’s not exactly who they appear to be. It’s not the same as Tyler being a Klingon but, Adira being a vessel for a symbiotic species is close enough. [/SPOILER]
                      Last edited by darkphoenix21; 11-01-2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Hugh (to Michael): "I think that you should go with Adira... otherwise, we'd be at risk of someone else being at the center of things." Liked Adira and Gray's interactions. Also liked seeing the crew reacting to the trauma of time travel.

Not a fan of them killing off Gray. Though, at the moment, I am willing to wait and see where they'll go with it. The episode seems to indicate that Gray is still "alive" within the symbiote. The show killed off Hugh Culber, in season 1, with the character then being resurrected in season 2. Wouldn't be the first time that this show (or this franchise) has killed someone off, then brought them back to life. Only, this time, they start off with the character already being dead. If they don't resurrect him, I'll be very annoyed. Gray is the franchise's first trans character (though, not the first in science fiction), and they killed him off, in his first episode. Now he's a manifestation in his partner's mind. In such a scenario, the trans character and Adira's Thrill boyfriend should've been separate entities. After all, they could've easily introduced the trans character as simply another Discovery crew member. Someone who was already on the ship, we just hadn't seen him before.
                        Last edited by jon-el87; 02-20-2022, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Did we just find out that Control is very much still alive within the Discovery computer? It was subtle when Saru was asking the computer how to best help the crew with their new reality and all of sudden it became a bit more lively and suggested a very human solution to the problem. Saru did say that the sphere data lives on with Discovery which is why he thinks it helped him with the crew but, it’s alway inevitable when these things turn against them.

[SPOILER] Not a fan of them [SPOILER]killing off Gray. Though, at the moment, I am willing to wait and see where they'll go with it. The episode seems to indicate that Gray is still "alive" within the symbiote. The show killed off Hugh Culber, in season 1, with the character then being resurrected in season 2. Wouldn't be the first time that this show (or this franchise) has killed someone off, then brought them back to life. Only, this time, they start off with the character already being dead. If they don't resurrect him, I'll be very annoyed. Gray is the franchise's first trans character (though, not the first in science fiction), and the killed him off, in his first episode. Now he's a manifestation in his partner's mind. In such a scenario, the trans character and Adira's Thrill boyfriend should've been separate entities. After all, they could've easily introduced the trans character as simply another Discovery crew member. Someone who was already on the ship, we just hadn't seen him before.[/SPOILER]
                          I thought that’s why Adira was introduced as she’s a non-binary actress much the same way as Ian Alexander (Gray Tai) is transgender; they fill the representation quota of a series like this.

Dead is never dead in this series (e.g. Tyler S1). This squid (the symbiote) allows Adira to not just communicate with Gray Tai but, everyone linked to the squid.

Comment

• Interesting to see what is going on with Georgiou. I'm guessing suppressed memories. The question is: is it simply something that she suppressed, or did someone try to erase something from her mind.

Fastforwarded a bit, during the episode, to cut down on the Michael scenes, for the ones focusing on more interesting characters. Michael's developing romance with Book does not capture my interest. I just don't care.

Continue liking Stamets interactions with Adira. The mess hall scene felt like the writers (realizing possible backlash from the death of Gray, in his first episode) were trying to reasure us that Gray will either be ressurected or revealed to still be alive, before the end of the season. Also nice seeing Stamets seemingly being set up as a big brother or father figure to Adira, rather than Michael. It makes more sense.
                            Last edited by jon-el87; 02-20-2022, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• I’m an episode behind...

So the fifth episode for the most part this was a pretty standard Star Trek episode.

They are finally reunited with the remains of Starfleet/The Federation. In their arrival to headquarters the crew glimpses what appears to be the USS Voyager, the 11th Federation starship to carry the name; that was a nice little easter egg.

The crew aren’t exactly welcomed with open arms...Saru and the crew are greeted by Starfleet Commander iChief Charles Vance. He’s instantly skeptical: There’s no record of Discovery in their database at all. So Vance requisitions the ship and reassigns the crew elsewhere; separating them.

Fortunately, an away mission gets placed on their laps given them a chance to prove themselves and keep them together.

I was more curious as to what’s going on with Georgiou following her debrief. She’s having flashes of her past or maybe an alternate past.
                              Last edited by darkphoenix21; 02-04-2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                                [SPOILER]Interesting to see what is going on with Georgiou. I'm guessing suppressed memories. The question is: is it simply something that she suppressed, or did someone try to erase something from her mind.[/SPOILER]
                                I’m speculating...but I’m thinking that it’s something to do with her being from alternative timeline; maybe she’s getting flashes from her alternative past life. It’s a lot for anyone’s body to really process even if you have this toughest of exteriors.

Fastforwarded a bit, during the episode, to cut down on the Michael scenes, for the ones focusing on more interesting characters. [SPOILER]Michael's developing romance with Book[/SPOILER] does not capture my interest. I just don't care.
                                I’m getting the impression that they’re about to announce that Sonequa Martin-Green is on her way out so, they’ve developed this story arc where Michael feels almost lost. Star Trek has always been an ensemble show.

I mean just this most recent episode she went on a rogue mission to rescue Book and get a black box that will help them with what happened during “The Burn”. Like I’ve noted on a past post, she’s tasted a freedom she’s never experienced before. I wouldn’t be surprised if by the end of this season she goes off with Book...after we find out what caused “The Burn”.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎