Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Punisher

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have to choose between binge watching Punisher on Netflix or waste money in a theater to watch Justice League on the 17th... Why isn't this a tough decision for me to make?

Comment

Because you make yours Marvel?

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
        Because you make yours Marvel?
        I do prefer Marvel over DC but I haven't been convinced of a live action property from DC since the Dark Knight Trilogy. Wonder Woman was the best thing since then but 1 movie in nearly a decade (over a decade? No idea, doesn't really matter) isn't enough when Marvel continually brings entertaining shows, even if they're not the best, and Netflix usually tops that even. I'd give DC a shot, if I honestly thought they'd out do Marvel with a show I'd be interested in. Didn't like Man of Steel so BvS was a dud for me from before it came out (Ben Afleck as Batman was somewhat interesting but not enough to sway me, seen to many both good and bad Batman films to be swayed with him as a co-star). Suicide Squad, sorry not into villians doing good deeds to make them more likable and children idolizing them (been trying to get a niece of mine to stop idolizing the mentally unstable, subserviant, continually abused Harley Quinn, what type of idol is that for a young girl?) Aquaman was my very first favorite superhero but haven't seen anything to rivet me, same with Flash, he seems a bit more comedic than the show so MAYBE it might be worthwhile.

What I've seen lately of Marvel (Black Panther trailer for example) might be an overall decline in Marvel's quality than what I'd expect to see but I'm not yet convinced it is already here.

Oh, I'm no fan of Venom, Carnage, Deadpool or a lot of these other “Non-Avenger“ films (exception are the 70-80's X-Men), I watched Homecoming because I was bored, not because it was Marvel (although Michael Keaton did hold some weight).
        Last edited by DoubleDevil; 10-24-2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

5 days and counting... Can't wait to see Jack Grimaldi in action.

Comment

What few seem to know about the Punisher is that the character was taken from an adult mens novel series that began in the mid to late 60's called Mack Bolan the Executioner and was adapted as a slightly more children friendly antihero for the comics. “Superheroes“ in real life are usually killers, SEAL Team 6, snipers, soldiers on the battlefield rescuing innocents or their comrades by risking their own lives. Sure we also call firemen heroes, but the majority are or were killers. Only in the utopian world of comics can a hero defeat the villain without killing them but therefore the villain always returns. Comic heroes always win the final battle but they never win the war. If superheroes won the war then there'd be no more story to tell. The difference between a hero's story and an antihero's story is that heroes rehash their villains, either because they're fan favorites with truly plausible reasons to return (King Pin, which can happen with antiheroes as well), simply fan favorites (Joker), or writers have run out of ideas who to pit against their hero (Stiltman, Toad, Captain Boomerang) and the hero's higher moral standing that prevents him from killing (with Daredevil I actually understand where he has this belief from and why he adheres to it, I don't with Batman or Wolverine) while antiheroes simply never run out of criminals to hunt down.
            Last edited by DoubleDevil; 11-13-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Hmm as long as I don't hear "I am Danny Rand with the power of the Iron Fist, I am the Immortal Iron Fist...watch me Iron Fist."

Comment

Originally posted by Shae
                Hmm as long as I don't hear "I am Danny Rand with the power of the Iron Fist, I am the Immortal Iron Fist...watch me Iron Fist."
                Heard and read differing reviews, some high praise others complaining of a slow start and/or not comic book enough. My comment above shoots down the last critique before it was made/heard by me. A slow start I'm willing to accept as long as I'm interested in the story they wish to tell. I like seeing lots of action but I don't need 40 minutes action from a 55 minute episode, a good 5-10 minutes are enough if the rest is done well.

Comment

Today's the day!!!!!!

Comment

Seen 8 episodes and haven't been disappointed yet seeing Mack Bolan/Frank Castle in action. I don't need to see costumed heroes, I want to see a good show.

Lots of people want to see the comic book Frank Castle, I want to see who Frank was based off of. Frank Castle is a timid and toned down version of the original so Marvel could market him to kids.
                    Last edited by DoubleDevil; 11-17-2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

A few minor SJW gripes but so minor that I'm willing to overlook them. I personally feel all the points the show wanted to make they did but didn't preach any opinion one way or the other. They presented both sides and trusted the viewers to come to their own decisions on the topics. Immediate reaction after just finishing season 1 is a 9-9.5/10, give me a few days and I'm sure to find more to critize and downgrade my rating but I truly doubt the Punisher will drop below an 8 and it overtook Daredevil as my favorite Marvel show even though there wasn't as powerful and screenwise as compelling a King Pin to Frank Castle as in Daredevil.

Comment

I was quite worried about the prospect of this show running a 13-episode season. And unfortunately, my worries were well founded. Because while The Punisher picks up steam and becomes captivating during the last 5 episodes, the 8 episodes that come before that are mostly dull and slow. I think they should have done 8 episodes for starters. It's not like they needed a regular Marvel/Netflix season to introduce Castle. Daredevil's second season already did that.

What also hurts the show is that besides Frank Castle, the rest of the characters are hardly interesting. Hell, even Iron Fist had more than one of them. Dinah (IMO) is bland for the majority of the season, Captain Orange's dialogue is lame, Micro has his moments (especially his bonding with Castle) but he's mostly an awkward character and Bill Russo is a hit and miss. [SPOILER]I was actually a fan of Ben Barnes' character in Westworld, but here he didn't come across as menacing as he should have. [/SPOILER] The Lewis Wilson character is there to add more meat to the season and carry it because Castle's storyline really doesn't need 13 episodes to be told. And while Lewis' story is interesting and sad, IMO it ultimately serves little purpose to the season in general. Finally, I was surprised Karen appeared for 6-7 episodes. I thought she would be in all of them or something.

Like I said, Castle really drives this show and Bernthal is made for the part. At times it feels like his character is fleshed out a bit too much, but by the end of the season the audience is reminded why this character is so popular. I would love to see him in the future as part of Daredevil or The Defenders, but I'm not sure how excited I would be about a 2nd season of The Punisher. Maybe if it was shorter...

Special mention to episodes 1.10 and 1.12. They were the best episodes of the season and 1.10 in particular is a terrific case of storytelling from different POVs and timelines.

6/10. The last 5episodes were a 8/10, but the rest of the season brings the overall rating down.
                        Last edited by costas22; 11-19-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                          I was quite worried about the prospect of this show running a 13-episode season. And unfortunately, my worries were well founded. Because while The Punisher picks up steam and becomes captivating during the last 5 episodes, the 8 episodes that come before that are mostly dull and slow. I think they should have done 8 episodes for starters. It's not like they needed a regular Marvel/Netflix season to introduce Castle. Daredevil's second season already did that.

What also hurts the show is that besides Frank Castle, the rest of the characters are hardly interesting. Hell, even Iron Fist had more than one of them. Dinah (IMO) is bland for the majority of the season, Captain Orange's dialogue is lame, Micro has his moments (especially his bonding with Castle) but he's mostly an awkward character and Bill Russo is a hit and miss. [SPOILER]I was actually a fan of Ben Barnes' character in Westworld, but here he didn't come across as menacing as he should have. [/SPOILER] The Lewis Wilson character is there to add more meat to the season and carry it because Castle's storyline really doesn't need 13 episodes to be told. And while Lewis' story is interesting and sad, IMO it ultimately serves little purpose to the season in general. Finally, I was surprised Karen appeared for 6-7 episodes. I thought she would be in all of them or something.

Like I said, Castle really drives this show and Bernthal is made for the part. At times it feels like his character is fleshed out a bit too much, but by the end of the season the audience is reminded why this character is so popular. I would love to see him in the future as part of Daredevil or The Defenders, but I'm not sure how excited I would be about a 2nd season of The Punisher. Maybe if it was shorter...

Special mention to episodes 1.10 and 1.12. They were the best episodes of the season and 1.10 in particular is a terrific case of storytelling from different POVs and timelines.

6/10. The last 5episodes were a 8/10, but the rest of the season brings the overall rating down.
                          Agreed costas22, Dinah did take a while to really warm up to, Billy Russo was interesting mostly because I know who he's to become so the twist making him Frank's friend had me wondering how, why and when that would change, Micro had his moments but he was also annoying at times, Lewis was one of my SJW problems but it made sense, just wish the only two “white guys“ in the self help group wouldn't both be portrayed as “bad guys“. I thought Lewis' storyline tied in well, this is where Frank could've gone but didn't and explained why. The 1 character, besides Frank, that I bonded with quickly that did have an important (side)role throughout the show was Curtis.

I was able to accept the slow burn during the early episodes, Frank saw his war as over and Micro was having a very difficult time convincing Frank he only scratched the surface. We also had Dinah uncovering stuff and her trying to convince her partner Sam at the same time. Yeah, that's not for everybody but I enjoyed it none the less.

1.10 was definately a stand out episode to show differing PoV and episode 1.12 is what all fans want to see, so yeah those were highlights of the series.
                          Last edited by DoubleDevil; 11-20-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I haven’t finished watching the first season yet but...it has been renewed for a 2nd season

http://tvline.com/2017/12/12/marvels...son-2-netflix/

Comment

The second season is amazing to watch. Hope you would love it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎