Thread: Is Amara evil?

New In Town

Is Amara evil?

This stuck me right off the bat in the premiere but after "The Bad Seed" I'm really questioning it more.

Is Amara/The Darkness really evil or is that just an assumption?

So far (I would argue) Amara hasn't done anything evil per say. The one thing evil thing we can say she does is eat souls but depending on your perspective thats not evil.

So lets 'look at the bigger picture here', we know that the darkness/Amara existed before anything else. Back at the beginning it was just God and the Darkness (and perhaps Death but thats unimportant). Now as of now we don't know what went down between the two of them but it is safe to assume that in the end they did not get on well with each other. So in the bigger picture you have two infinitely powered entities that didn't agree with each other and one some how locked the other away.
    So from this point God took over the 'world' an created it how he wanted. And as we know history is written by the winners. So who's to say that it wasn't God in the wrong and The Darkness/Amara was trying to stop him not the other way around. Hell who is there to say there was any right or wrong going on at all.

The point is we are told The Darkness is evil but no body knows what The Darkness is or what it did to get locked away but God and it is probably safe to say he is biased.

Now lets look at Amara and what she has done so far in the season(I'll make comments of the dark smoke later since they are being perceived as separate in the series so far). She has thanked Dean for letting her out and taken on the form of a child. Then thing get tricky with her eating souls. But lets remember back to season 6 and what we learned of souls in that season. Souls are like energy and they give beings power. Just because you eat or take in a soul does not mean that soul dies. It can later be released. It is safe to assume that Amara after battling God and his Archangels and being locked away for billions of year is weak. She needs energy/souls to restore herself. So it seems only logical to eat souls at this point. And on another note, she was locked away before humanity was created so she doesn't even know what a soul is. She just knows that it is power that will energize her.

So here is where Amara's words in ep 3 really got to me.

She is amazed by the world and she likes its. I take this meaning from the mirror scene with herself when little Amara says to her older reflection "God did ALL this after he locked me away. I didn't know it was so much." And her older reflection responds "No matter what he made it doesn't excuse what he did to us."

She doesn't despise the world. Its more like she is awed by it. It is clear that her anger and bitterness is directed towards God not his creations.

Later in the same episode she says to Crowley "Every time I take in a soul I feel how much emptiness there is. God made a world where people have to suffer?... Why would they want to live in such a world?" Clearly she thinks human souls are flawed and she doesn't see much worth in them. But again she doesn't see this as a negative towards Humanity but their creator. She says she will do things differently. And why is that we assume that is destruction. When asked by Crowley if she would like a world where virtue was extinct and everything was evil her response was an incredulous, "Would you? You'd really be happy if everyone was evil?" She goes on to say that Heaven, Hell, People and even Good vs Evil seem unimportant to her. And that Crowley is missing the big picture.

I think we all are. I think it is naive to think of God as good and his opposite The Darkness Evil. I think it is narrow minded and as Supernatural has shown us in the past not bad guys are 100% bad just like good guys aren't 100% good. I mean look what they did with the Angel story line all the way back in season 4 and 5. They proved to us that just because we think something is supposed to be good doesn't mean it is.

I think Amara really does have a bigger picture in mind and she isn't concerned with humanity or heaven or hell or who is winning or even who is on who's side. She doesn't care. All she cares about is getting her revenge against God for what he did to her(which is still unclear). She is a higher being and she doesn't perceive things the same way we do and we should assume she does.

What I think would be interesting later on is how this fight against God will progress later in the season especially since not many characters on the show are particularly fond of God to begin with(not since the apocalypse at least). Who's side should the Winchesters actually take? The only way to truly understand what is going on is to know what actually happened back before creation.

So thats my theory on Amara not actually being bad. That is not to say she isn't. She still could prove to be but I'd just like to point out that that doesn't have to be the case. So... Yeah.

well she certainly doesn't seem like the friendly type

Quote Originally Posted by Charming Rose View Post
    This stuck me right off the bat in the premiere but after "The Bad Seed" I'm really questioning it more.

So far (I would argue) Amara hasn't done anything evil per say. The one thing evil thing we can say she does is eat souls but depending on your perspective thats not evil.

So lets 'look at the bigger picture here', we know that the darkness/Amara existed before anything else. Back at the beginning it was just God and the Darkness (and perhaps Death but thats unimportant). Now as of now we don't know what went down between the two of them but it is safe to assume that in the end they did not get on well with each other. So in the bigger picture you have two infinitely powered entities that didn't agree with each other and one some how locked the other away.
    So from this point God took over the 'world' an created it how he wanted. And as we know history is written by the winners. So who's to say that it wasn't God in the wrong and The Darkness/Amara was trying to stop him not the other way around. Hell who is there to say there was any right or wrong going on at all.

The point is we are told The Darkness is evil but no body knows what The Darkness is or what it did to get locked away but God and it is probably safe to say he is biased.

Now lets look at Amara and what she has done so far in the season(I'll make comments of the dark smoke later since they are being perceived as separate in the series so far). She has thanked Dean for letting her out and taken on the form of a child. Then thing get tricky with her eating souls. But lets remember back to season 6 and what we learned of souls in that season. Souls are like energy and they give beings power. Just because you eat or take in a soul does not mean that soul dies. It can later be released. It is safe to assume that Amara after battling God and his Archangels and being locked away for billions of year is weak. She needs energy/souls to restore herself. So it seems only logical to eat souls at this point. And on another note, she was locked away before humanity was created so she doesn't even know what a soul is. She just knows that it is power that will energize her.

So here is where Amara's words in ep 3 really got to me.

She is amazed by the world and she likes its. I take this meaning from the mirror scene with herself when little Amara says to her older reflection "God did ALL this after he locked me away. I didn't know it was so much." And her older reflection responds "No matter what he made it doesn't excuse what he did to us."

She doesn't despise the world. Its more like she is awed by it. It is clear that her anger and bitterness is directed towards God not his creations.

Later in the same episode she says to Crowley "Every time I take in a soul I feel how much emptiness there is. God made a world where people have to suffer?... Why would they want to live in such a world?" Clearly she thinks human souls are flawed and she doesn't see much worth in them. But again she doesn't see this as a negative towards Humanity but their creator. She says she will do things differently. And why is that we assume that is destruction. When asked by Crowley if she would like a world where virtue was extinct and everything was evil her response was an incredulous, "Would you? You'd really be happy if everyone was evil?" She goes on to say that Heaven, Hell, People and even Good vs Evil seem unimportant to her. And that Crowley is missing the big picture.

I think we all are. I think it is naive to think of God as good and his opposite The Darkness Evil. I think it is narrow minded and as Supernatural has shown us in the past not bad guys are 100% bad just like good guys aren't 100% good. I mean look what they did with the Angel story line all the way back in season 4 and 5. They proved to us that just because we think something is supposed to be good doesn't mean it is.

I think Amara really does have a bigger picture in mind and she isn't concerned with humanity or heaven or hell or who is winning or even who is on who's side. She doesn't care. All she cares about is getting her revenge against God for what he did to her(which is still unclear). She is a higher being and she doesn't perceive things the same way we do and we should assume she does.

What I think would be interesting later on is how this fight against God will progress later in the season especially since not many characters on the show are particularly fond of God to begin with(not since the apocalypse at least). Who's side should the Winchesters actually take? The only way to truly understand what is going on is to know what actually happened back before creation.

So thats my theory on Amara not actually being bad. That is not to say she isn't. She still could prove to be but I'd just like to point out that that doesn't have to be the case. So... Yeah.
    First off, welcome to the forum Charming Rose! Second, wow to your theory! It's very detail oriented and thorough and definitely makes a number of good points. Until we really get more insight into Amara's point of view of what happened, we won't know who was really in the wrong. Right now, all we know is that God tricked Amara into being locked away via the Mark.

Forum Whiz
    I would have to say she is evil and she knows more than she os letting on about her reflection. I would say shes very similar to Jesse in the fact that she was born into her role without a choice. Shes still an abomination in the strictest sense of the word.

New In Town

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Charming Rose View Post

So far (I would argue) Amara hasn't done anything evil per say... ...that doesn't have to be the case. So... Yeah.

Thank you, that is EXACTLY what I've been thinking for EXACTLY the same reasons!! I was curious to hear exactly how Death described Amara, and it was as an "amoral" force, NOT an "immoral" force (e.g. no sense for right or wrong). He did also say she was destructive, but as you pointed out who really knows if this information is skewed. I agree that at this point Amara seems more curious and awed about the world, also confused by some of the emptiness/sadness, and certainly does not seem (per her discussion w/Crowley) to be interested in "evil". I'd say more but you really covered it perfectly. She could turn out to be very destructive, maybe to the point of wanting to destroy the world to take revenge on god, but I don't think it's because she wants people to suffer. She just may not care about that, being so far detached from it, and I could see part of the mission of "Team Free Will" being to convince her to understand and care about people and not destroy the world just to spite god (in that scenario). I could also see there being some confusion on which side is really the "good" side especially if you have Lucifer and the other archangels, not so nice, on one side and Amara, maybe truly betrayed by her "kin", on the other. There are many other scenarios, of course, and I'm really curious to see how the story develops--but certainly, every time someone talks about how she's evil I wonder why they're making that assumption.

Posting Pro
    After the revelation of God being her brother I don't think she's evil, I think it was just in her very nature to consume and destroy compared to God who's nature was to create and protect. If anything, I'd say God is the evil one out of the 2 as he created his "army" to help him imprison his own sister just so he could do what he wanted.