4 19.05%

2 9.52%

1 4.76%

1 4.76%

0 0%
  • 1 - Whats Dead Should Be Left Dead

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Restoration?

What did you think?

Wow, we really regressed badly with this one. I was hoping season 4 would be a fresh start for the show, but they can't seem to help themselves with some of their antics.

The not so bad:

- Oliver and John bonding again. Glad to see this storyline come to an end. And with Diggle revealing his research on HIVE, everything is on the table now.
    - Neal McDonough as Darkh. Again.
    - The Nanda Parbat scenes. Not all of them worked for me, especially because Sara's revival feels like a plot device to make Laurel look bad again. Nonetheless, it was great to have Malcolm and Nyssa back and even if it she didn't speak, it was damn good to see Sara again. I also liked Malcolm's perverse parenting methods. Father of the year!
    - Not a big fan of Curtis Holt until now, but I like Echo Kellum's style. He makes his character likeable, even when he isn't given a lot to work with.
    - Finally, I loved Ryan Robbins' cameo in the flashbacks. He played Lewis on Smallville when Lex was trapped on the island in season 3. The guy plays the psycho fantastically.

The bad:

- Felicity has the lion share of everything that went wrong this week. Apparently she can hack a crane and use it with perfect precision. Also, she's the apparent Team captain and acts like a headmaster when a war veteran and a vigilante can't get along. And we get to the worst of the lot: Oliver gets nailed by Double Down twice, yet Felicity can escape his deadly cards, kick him down and force him into retreat by randomly firing a gun. Because "she's always been a badass". Sorry, but all this is a bunch of nonsense designed to appeal to her fans. There's no reason for any character to get propped up in such blatant and ridiculous fashion.
    - A number of fans speculated that the lair was below Palmer Tech. Apparently Double Down thought the same because he found it straight away. Worst secret hideout ever.
    - One thing I didn't get about Malcolm's motives. He knows that whoever gets restored by the Pit will seek revenge on the one who killed them. Yet he decides to resurrect Sara even though it means she will set her sights on Thea?
    - What was up with all the "Original Team Arrow" stuff? I understand that some fans prefered it when it was just Oliver, Diggle and Felicity, but as I recall (and apparently the show has forgotten), the team originally was Oliver and Diggle. Just another example of trying too hard to please some fans, as well as piss off the fans who don't like the term. The show should set its priorities straight.

5/10. Malcolm's return and Darkh keep this from being a 4 or a 3.
    Last edited by costas22; 10-22-2015 at 02:26 AM.

The opening motorcycle stunt where Oliver falls off, how obvious and badly done was that? Even stunts from the '80's A-Team looked better than that. Malcolm rolling over on his decision to resurrecting Sara so easily? I'm not going to discuss Felicity this episode because there wasn't a moment in the episode where she wasn't placed high up on a pedestal. While the execution of Diggle regaining Oliver's trust was a bit cheesy for my taste ("Oliver you took a bullet for me") I am happy to see the two of them finally resolving their differences. Overall though I just cringed while watching the episode as if I was watching one of the worst episodes of the A-Team. Damien demonstrating his power, Malcolm/Nyssa sparring and Thea arguing with Malcolm (1 point each) are the only things that saved the episode from not getting a rating at all since 0 out of 10 isn't an option. Team Arrow, original or expanded, just looked stupid to me this episode.

Arrow, you have failed this viewer. Last night's episode and the Constantine episode were the only episodes I was looking forward to, and boy was I disappointed. The pit scene, the main focus of the episode was poorly handled, and the way they squeezed in nyssa destroying the pit was just wrong. You can do better than this Arrow.

Forum Whiz
    That was ok but it should have been great.

I liked the scenes in Nanda Parbat although some of the dialogue wasn't great and it was lovely seeing Nyssa again. There seems to be a foreshadowing of the death of Malcolm (at least I hope so). I'm glad that the Pit was destroyed. I've envisioned that happening for a while although I thought it would have been cooler to have blown it up.

I love the growing bond between Laurel and Thea. And although she has come back from the dead more times than I can count, it is nice to see Sara again.

The metahuman was quite interesting but it is so ridiculous how Felicity was able to beat that guy. Her line about finding Mirakuru men was intriguing. Does that mean some of them are still out there? I was probably just reading too much into it. I hated how many times Felicity said Original Team Arrow. The Arrow writers couldn't be catering more to Felicity's fanbase.

Curtis is also quite irritating and seems to be a copycat of Ray.

Oliver and Diggle making up was diabolical. Firstly, that scene action-wise seemed a bit off and then the dialogue between Oliver and Diggle after Oliver had taken that shot was horrific. It also seemed like such an easy way out of the situation. I thought there might be a gradual easing over the course of the season but no, Oliver has to almost literally take a bullet for Diggle and now everything is hunky-dory.

I hope we see some of Damien's partners in HIVE. I have a suspicion that he has nothing to do with Diggle's brothers death.

Damien continues to be pretty awesome. NM is doing great work as the season's big bad.

The resolution to Diggle's mistrust of Oliver was stupid. His being able to trust Oliver was never about whether or not OC would give up his life for his friends. That was not at all the point.

It was neat to see the flying ball thing prototype.

Barrowman made some odd choices in this episode. For example, after they spar, Nyssa tells him she plans to kill him when given the opportunity. What does he do? He immediately turns his back on her while she's armed. I guess you could say he's such a great fighter that he would have been able to defend himself if she chose to strike, but I personally felt it was just a careless choice by the actor.

Not a strong performance out of Willa Holland this week. I didn't find her freak-outs terribly believable.

When Ra's told Thea that her bloodlust would not be quenched until she struck back against the person who hurt her, I thought that meant him. He brainwashed Thea and made her kill Sara. I thought where they were going with it was he would agree to bring Sara back to life to avoid having to kill Thea, since she'd have to come after him to get rid of the bloodlust. Thus, bringing Sara back to life becomes a selfish act. They didn't quite get there, though, and I'm disappointed, because I like that idea better than the one they came up with.

Sara's resurrection is fine, but this was another example of a performance I'm just not buying. She looks fine. Her "freak-out" is incredibly tame and she appears to be in great health. If you're going to sell us on Sara being a tremendously unstable and tormented soul for having been brought back to life, then you have to show us more than what they showed us, especially if you're going to use her instability as an excuse to have Nyssa end the pit. It just doesn't look like Nyssa has enough cause to think this is some kind of epic fail. They should have done a much better job at selling that.

I'm confused with respect to Damien's place in HIVE. Is he the leader? Is he only one of many leaders? If so, how does he have the authority to kill the woman? Is he going off book here? I don't really get it.

Not a terrible episode in terms of what they were trying to do. The pieces were better than the execution.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 10-22-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Posting Pro
    As always, wrote this up before reading anyone else’s reviews.

Rather than do a long-winded review, I’m just going to do what others have and separate this episode into categories, since in all honesty there’s not a whole bunch to get from this episode.

The Awesome:

- Malcolm’s duel with Nyssa when we first see them. He enjoys the challenge of her coming at him with everything she has, and she enjoys the chance to possibly take her rightful place as the Demon’s Head by killing him.

- Diggle coming clean with Oliver about HIVE.

- Malcolm continuing his rather poor kind of parenting by ordering some of his men to attack Thea so she would kill them and sate the bloodlust from the Pit.

- Nyssa destroying the Pit forever. I just loved how she did that, and I had to laugh at the furious expression on Malcolm’s face. He might be my favorite villain on the show (Slade’s a close second, and is that only because they cheapened his character), but there’s no denying he’s a dick and anything that throws him for a loop is excellent.

- Thea and Laurel clearly having a good relationship with Laurel giving Thea a hug during their visit to Nanda Parbat.

- The flashbacks this year are actually getting impressive. Maybe its because we’re closing in on Oliver becoming the Hood now and the person he was that drew me into the show in the first place is coming into being.

The Meh:

- CEO Felicity continues to unimpress.

- Having Felicity fund the vigilante campaign. I get this from the fact that the base is below Palmer Tech. I had kinda hoped they would have Thea using her inheritance to fund the team. But nope, they must prop up Felicity.

- The titular character just being kind of ‘there’ for this episode. He didn’t really have anything to do until the very end where they’re having drinks, and him mentioning he’s been ‘working on something’.

- What, no Lance? But an episode’s not complete without one of his sour comments.

- While Darhk continues to be his usual self, I’m starting to see why Wendy Mericle says he’s a bit like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

- The ‘toast to the OTA’. Talk about verbal vomit. Sorry, but IMO the ‘Original Team Arrow’ is Diggle and Oliver. Felicity didn’t join the team officially until 10 episodes after Dig. Just more Tumblr pandering from Guggenheim.

The Interesting:

- During the opening sequence, we have two Ghosts Diggle is chasing. One of them gets away, but not before having Diggle dead to rights (and yes that was a Deadshot joke). Why did he let one of the vigilantes live? Considering that so far this season is lacking a twisted storyline (Sara’s resurrection doesn’t count since its only for the sake of Legends), I am going to put forth the idea that if that scene did have some kind of hidden meaning, its that that was Andy Diggle.

- Nyssa referring to Thea as ‘sister-in-law’. Wonder if Felicity knows that as far as Nyssa’s concerned, she and Oliver are still married?

- This bit is also foreboding. When Malcolm spoke to Thea about the bloodlust, he said that to fully sate it you have to kill the one who put you in that position. For Thea, that was Ra’s so she will continue to feel the bloodlust. But Sara Lance was killed by Thea, and Thea is very much alive. So this is going to be a rather interesting situation. Unless Malcolm thought that Sara would blame him?

Almost forgot: I give this episode a 6/10. Malcolm, Nyssa, and the flashbacks kept this episode from going lower. After the strong premiere episode, I kind of expected more.
    Last edited by JDBentz; 10-22-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by JDBentz View Post
    - This bit is also foreboding. When Malcolm spoke to Thea about the bloodlust, he said that to fully sate it you have to kill the one who put you in that position. For Thea, that was Ra’s so she will continue to feel the bloodlust. But Sara Lance was killed by Thea, and Thea is very much alive. So this is going to be a rather interesting situation. Unless Malcolm thought that Sara would blame him?
    If the Diggle/Oliver story was anything to go by it's not going to be interesting for much longer. Plus this Constantine guy is going to come in and fix everything and Sara is going to a different show.

So what could have been quite an interesting storyline will be done and dusted in about two episodes.

Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by JDBentz View Post
    The Interesting:

- During the opening sequence, we have two Ghosts Diggle is chasing. One of them gets away, but not before having Diggle dead to rights (and yes that was a Deadshot joke). Why did he let one of the vigilantes live? Considering that so far this season is lacking a twisted storyline (Sara’s resurrection doesn’t count since its only for the sake of Legends), I am going to put forth the idea that if that scene did have some kind of hidden meaning, its that that was Andy Diggle.
    What I found interesting was Oliver catches up with and chases one ghost with his motorcycle after Diggle is taken down and is continually with the ghost until the crappy performed or edited crash stunt and then suddenly the guy in the background wasn't the ghost but Diggle. Huh? Where the h... did he come from and how the h... did Oliver loose the ghost when he rolled right in front of him? Of course we had to have Oliver and Diggle loose the ghost so that Felicity could miraculously locate him and trap him between containers until Diggle catches up with him only to loose him again.

My first thoughts on Double Down was a combination between Tattoo from Jennifer Garner's Elektra and Bullseye but as crappy an aim as Double Down is I had to revise to a combination of Tattoo and Gambit without the charisma, flare or kinetic booms. He was able to hit Oliver (twice even) but wasn't able to hit either Felicity or Curtis and was even forced to retreat while only having to concentrate on somebody as inept at combat defense as Felicity? Curtis was KO and even if he wasn't he acted as if Felicity was still the better choice to be using the submachinegun so that a single stray bullet was enough to make Felicity so absolutely badass and heroic.

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    They had to change Double Down because in the comics when he uses his powers you can see some of his organs since he removes his skin and turns them into cards. He is a Flash villain in the comics. On Arrow it seems they took Double Down used a Green Lantern villain the Tattooed Man as a basis for his powers.

The Tattooed Man has the power to make his tattoos come to life. So they took Tattooed Mans tattoos and added that to Double Down.

Quote Originally Posted by Halberdier17 View Post
    They had to change Double Down because in the comics when he uses his powers you can see some of his organs since he removes his skin and turns them into cards. He is a Flash villain in the comics. On Arrow it seems they took Double Down used a Green Lantern villain the Tattooed Man as a basis for his powers.

The Tattooed Man has the power to make his tattoos come to life. So they took Tattooed Mans tattoos and added that to Double Down.
    OK so they even have problems with their comics. If he's "just" removing his skin then you shouldn't be able to see his organs, muscle tissue I'd buy but not organs.

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDevil View Post
    OK so they even have problems with their comics. If he's "just" removing his skin then you shouldn't be able to see his organs, muscle tissue I'd buy but not organs.
    Edit* It was confusion because I was going by memory but when I saw a picture of him all you can see is muscle tissue where the skin.

I had to look a lot closer because I thought it was organs it was just muscle.
    Last edited by Halberdier17; 10-22-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Felicity having Oliver and Diggle sit down and resolve their differences was her best scene but it was turned sour for me by her being miss perfect the entire episode. She caught one of the ghosts without even being out in the field, was able to toss around a high explosive device and have it be cute, deter Double Down's attack... Everything she did was right and completely successful with no ill consequences, even revealing her connection to Team Arrow without checking Curtis Holt was completely acceptable while everyone else on the show was stumbling around making poor decisions and judgement calls made the one redeeming moment for her seem like more unnecessary elevating of her character so that I can't even consider that scene good.

^ I had to put myself in "Arrow time-out" this week and it's so much more restful just reading about what Felicity did than actually watching the carnage....

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDevil View Post
    Felicity having Oliver and Diggle sit down and resolve their differences was her best scene but it was turned sour for me by her being miss perfect the entire episode. She caught one of the ghosts without even being out in the field, was able to toss around a high explosive device and have it be cute, deter Double Down's attack... Everything she did was right and completely successful with no ill consequences, even revealing her connection to Team Arrow without checking Curtis Holt was completely acceptable while everyone else on the show was stumbling around making poor decisions and judgement calls made the one redeeming moment for her seem like more unnecessary elevating of her character so that I can't even consider that scene good.
    At this point, I'm practically hoping that she's the one in the grave and that's why they're building her up so much. Otherwise, this season will definitely being go down in my books as "The Olicity Diaries, Season 2".

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast