1 3.57%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Zero of Nine

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Whiz
    It was a good episode. Thea was very interesting and I quite liked Jessica. Hope we see her again. I do wonder if there was more to Damien wanting her not to be mayor.

I don't understand why Oliver wasn't wearing his voice modifier in front of Jessica's daughter. I guess she was so panicked she wouldn't really be paying attention but it was rather sloppy on Oliver's part.

When Thea broke that guys arm it just reminded me of how Oliver used to do similar stuff in Season One. Hypocrite. At least, until Thea decided she wanted Anarchy to burn .

Felicity and Oliver continue to irritate, but both are more likeable apart.

Curtis was rather irritating.

Look forward to seeing Nyssa next episode.

I actually liked the Anarky actor. Not sure why. But he did a pretty good job with what could have otherwise been a throwaway role.

I defended Jeri Ryan when she was on Voyager because so many people ragged on her for being cast because she was attractive and buxom. On that show, she showed me she was more than that and actually could act. This performance, however, was definitely not one that would appear on her personal highlight reel. Yeesh.

I am very much enjoying what they are doing with Thea. I also like the dark places they are going with Laurel.

Felicity's scenes were painful.

Oliver jumping into the race for Mayor made perfect sense.

McDonough is absolutely crushing it as Damien Darhk. This is some of his best work relative to what I've seen him in (admittedly, not an extensive list).

I hate it when the bad guys can get to whoever they want to get to when the story calls for it, but are also stopped as soon as the story calls for it. He's clever and ruthless enough to take down the police guarding Ryan's daughter without getting so much as scratched but also dumb enough to just hang out waiting for the heroes to show up and stop him.

Gonna need more of an explanation as to why Lance is working with Damien.

Overall, I hated the experience of watching this episode, but I do like the Thea and Laurel storylines, plus Oliver running for Mayor.

Forum Whiz
    Forgot to add I don't understand how Oliver could run for mayor. He has no qualifications for the job, relies on his girlfriend for all expenses and when he was CEO of Queen Consolidated he failed miserably.

He's going to need one heck of a campaign manager.

Then again, his Mother destroyed half the city and still became mayor .

Forum Regular
    BG, Quentin is a dad. It doesn't matter that Laurel isn't actually vulnerable. He still sees her as his little girl who needs protecting. Probably made worse with Sarah's death.

I really think they need to create two shows. One can be the Felicity/Oliver show and the other can be the Diggle/Laurel/Thea show. Once again, really enjoyed Thea in this episode and liked the Diggle and Laurel scenes.

I wished Laurel had a higher purpose resurrecting Sara but understand her motivations. She is willing to do whatever it takes and to get her sister back and take on any sacrifices that may come with it. Oliver probably knew this and that is why never told her about the pit. Even though I do feel this is a setback for her character, it may ultimately make her better. Because, it will force her to grow and change as a character in order to deal with the ramifications of embarking into the supernatural.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicbimbo View Post
    BG, Quentin is a dad. It doesn't matter that Laurel isn't actually vulnerable. He still sees her as his little girl who needs protecting. Probably made worse with Sarah's death.
    He's also a cop and she's Black Canary.

He could pull his gun and shoot Damien in the face if he wanted to.

Next time a cop tries to give you a traffic ticket, threaten their kids and see how they respond.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelyGal View Post
    I really think they need to create two shows. One can be the Felicity/Oliver show and the other can be the Diggle/Laurel/Thea show. Once again, really enjoyed Thea in this episode and liked the Diggle and Laurel scenes.
    This!

(+)
    - Thea and Oliver brother-sister interactions; this is the only time I connect with Oliver now -- when he shows concern for his sister
    - enjoyed the breakfast (?) scene with Thea and Oliver (even tho' they weren't alone) -- a nice callback for me to S1 dinner scenes at the mansion
    - Damian Darhk

(-)
    - too bad Laurel drew the short straw and has to be the one dumbed-down with the bright idea to bring Sara back -- sad that character & plot in Arrow have to be sacrificed in service of launching LoT

(- -)
    - all Felicity scenes, with special honorable mentions for cheesiness going to: 1.) Felicity and Curtis' first meeting alone, when how convenient was it that that fired female employee just happened to walk in as Exhibit A so we could be sure to grasp the emotional impact of the situation (the background music helped a lot also...) and sorry, but that actress (fired employee) did a terrible job with her lines and cheesy expressions; and 2.) the last board meeting in the ep (glad the background music was back again.... I needed the noble cues)
    - all Olicity scenes. Actually the fern didn't bother me as much as Oliver packing Felicity's lunch did -- nauseating watching them goo-ing at each other. The fern was just a fern to me, as I don't cherish any fond memories of S3 Olicity and so any "callback" feeling just sailed right on by... (but sincere congrats to Olicity fans....as I've said before: at least some people are getting what they want!)
    - all of the enjoyment I got from seeing Oliver and Thea interactions was immediately cancelled out by the irritation I felt at Olicity scenes, and I hold Oliver responsible for having had the poor taste to take up with her and thus create the situation I find myself in with a ringside seat -- so I'm not liking him much at all, whereas he used to be the character I was most invested in
    - is it my imagination or is Oliver quipping a lot now? (Felicity's negative influence)
    - Felicity is ubiquitous; seems like it is her show now

I thought I could handle the Felicity/Olicity but I just can't -- and the irritation distracts me from the other scenes so watching is a waste of time ...But surely it will be possible to make sense of LoT without having had to first see the characters launched via Arrow, as I'm sure there are viewers who do not watch Arrow but will be interested in tuning into LoT? (and I do watch Flash so that should help....)

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Kent View Post
    - is it my imagination or is Oliver quipping a lot now? (Felicity's negative influence)
    I've noticed that too. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. I don't think Oliver is quite there yet to make too many.

Forum Regular
    Shelby, the woman who was fired is Emily's roommate so, I don't know if she IS an actress or not. I don't see Laurel as being "dumbed down" Some people would simply do anything to keep their loved ones alive.
    Last edited by cosmicbimbo; 10-15-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    He's also a cop and she's Black Canary.

He could pull his gun and shoot Damien in the face if he wanted to.

Next time a cop tries to give you a traffic ticket, threaten their kids and see how they respond.

But, this isn't a normal situation. How can you shoot someone who can stop the bullets just like he stopped Oliver's arrows?

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    I've noticed that too. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. I don't think Oliver is quite there yet to make too many.
    I feel the showrunners desire to have lighter tone is creating a situation where the writing and acting is trying force lighter moments versus letting them happen organically. Because of that, some moments felt flat for me.

Shelby, the woman who was fired is Emily's roommate so, I don't know if she IS an actress or not.
    Interesting..... I did look up the episode on IMDB and I think I might have identified her as Fanta Sesay, which, if that is who played the part, looks like she's been in a few things since ~2011

I don't see Laurel as being "dumbed down" Some people would simply do anything to keep their loved ones alive.
    I respect your viewpoint or, if not YOUR viewpoint, then the perspective you are presenting.

Death is incredibly painful for those left behind. There has been death in my family so I completely understand this perspective. But death is inevitable, and I consider that dealing with death, when it touches us, is part of the journey we have to undertake in our lives (for, what other option really is there?). The struggle to find a way to accept it and make peace with it (if ever we can; hopefully we can) presents a challenge we all have to grapple with and for me, Laurel wanting to forego that pain, while understandable, potentially presents her as someone who is making a leap, thinking that something that will give her short-term relief of her pain does not bear further consideration regarding the long-term consequences of such a decision for her and for her loved one. The writers can create a happy ending for Sara if they want, but I'm not thinking of it from that perspective b/c in the real world there are no writers who can create happy endings to keep the end from coming. "Doing anything" to keep a loved one alive also results in consequences for what the loved one must go through. In the ICU we've had some really gruesome cases -- (gruesome as in what happens to the human body, not gruesome as a term of denigration regarding the family or family dynamics) -- where families just couldn't let go (which I completely understand and I know they were in pain). But their loved one, in turn, was dying a slow painful literally gruesome death, and there was no reversing it (eventually you just can't come back from all illness/injury) So I think sometimes, if we can find the strength, we, the family members, have to absorb the pain so that we don't, in turn, let our pain imprison a loved one in pain & suffering when there is no reversing the outcome (which, for humans -- which of course Sara and Laurel are -- is what death is, an eventually inevitable and irreversible outcome...) That is my perspective.

I use "dumbed-down" b/c I know that Laurel is actually quite intelligent and capable of thinking about the complexity of such an issue & decision before just jumping in like that, and I also think she is capable of restraining herself from giving in to a short-term, immediate-relief "solution" for her pain in favor of the wisdom of the long-term view (she certainly understands this as a recovering addict....) ...but of course she's not portrayed that way here. People can be very emotional and have strong emotions but they are not necessarily slaves to their emotions....

Also, when I talk about such sadly gruesome cases I have been involved with, those are very specific cases, each one being unique and particular, with its own set of circumstances and in no way a pronouncement about the circumstances or decisions that I think should be made in a generalized way by everyone for their loved ones. For anyone who is reading this and may have found themselves in such a difficult situation:I am sorry you were in that situation and I'm not talking about or making a judgment about your situation and what you did in that situation -- just to be clear.

Forum Regular
    You're right it isn't easy. That is why psychics who claim to talk to the dead are really popular. Some people just can't let go. And, Laurel might just be falling back into the bad habit of dulling her pain. It isn't easy to not take the easy way out.

You're right it isn't easy. That is why psychics who claim to talk to the dead are really popular. Some people just can't let go. And, Laurel might just be falling back into the bad habit of dulling her pain. It isn't easy to not take the easy way out.
    Good point. What I am seeing and describing as the writers' denying her character a certain type of thinking style, could actually be seen from a different perspective as the writers showing an aspect of her addictive personality that might be winning the battle during a painful time (the battle in this case being the temptation to avoid the pain, not with substance abuse [or another mode of addiction, b/c there are many ways to be addicted other than just to alcohol/drugs], but by going against what is "natural" and giving in to the temptation for the "quick fix" to bring Sara back and just choose not to think about the consequences in the immediacy of the need for pain relief.....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Kent View Post
    Good point. What I am seeing and describing as the writers' denying her character a certain type of thinking style, could actually be seen from a different perspective as the writers showing an aspect of her addictive personality that might be winning the battle during a painful time (the battle in this case being the temptation to avoid the pain, not with substance abuse [or another mode of addiction, b/c there are many ways to be addicted other than just to alcohol/drugs], but by going against what is "natural" and giving in to the temptation for the "quick fix" to bring Sara back and just choose not to think about the consequences in the immediacy of the need for pain relief.....
    Exactly!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast