4 13.33%

5 16.67%

6 20.00%

1 3.33%

1 3.33%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - You have failed this omelette... err... city.

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Forum Regular
    I did not like lance being part of H.I.V.E but it sure will be a nice twist for season 4. I just want to know what will happen once they bring Sara back. will officer Lance still be a part of H.I.V.E or will they bring in a new officer. With the friction between Oliver and Diggle I could see them moving either Lyla or John into the Officer position as the star city police captain. In fact moving John into the police Captains position would help the friction between John and Oliver and Oliver would then run a female team super Hero.

Posting Pro
    Acer: John and Lyla would have to actually serve in the police force to be considered for it.

I liked Damien and I liked Thea going bat-nuts insane as a side-effect to the pit.

Didn't like Diggle's nonsense or the Olicity.

When Damien walked into that office and threatened to kill everyone, I wondered why Lance didn't just, you know, arrest him. I wondered why the others didn't tell Lance to arrest him. You can't walk up to a cop and make a terrorist threat.

EDIT: To clarify, even though they explained Lance is somehow sorta kinda involved with HIVE, you can't defy all logic like that if you're going to keep up appearances.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 10-08-2015 at 12:50 PM.

I doubt it's Lance because of the way Oliver was touching the tombstone....

Forum Whiz
    It was a good epiosde. Thea and Laurel were definitely the highlights. I quite liked Diggle too.

Damien seems interesting. Although I'm at a complete loss as to where his body went after Diggle shot him.

Was nice seeing Amanda again but it makes absolutely no sense as to how no one recognised Oliver whilst he was in Coast City for five months.

Oliver and Felicity were quite irritating. I do hope (but doubt) that Felicity is the one in the grave. Never thought I would be seeing that about the character in Season One.

Liked the Walter Steele mention and like Quentin don't really blame him for not wanting to be mayor. Judging from the episode though, no one should be in a high position in Star City.

Quote Originally Posted by BkWurm1 View Post
    Whether one is an Olicity supporter or not, you have to feel bad for the guy to get that close to his big moment only to have his whole new life derailed.
    He never should have left the mission in the first place, especially considering he apparently had no intention of coming back. I don't feel bad for him in that.

God bless you! God bless everyone in your life!

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    It was a good epiosde. Thea and Laurel were definitely the highlights. I quite liked Diggle too.

Damien seems interesting. Although I'm at a complete loss as to where his body went after Diggle shot him.

Was nice seeing Amanda again but it makes absolutely no sense as to how no one recognised Oliver whilst he was in Coast City for five months.

Oliver and Felicity were quite irritating. I do hope (but doubt) that Felicity is the one in the grave. Never thought I would be seeing that about the character in Season One.

Liked the Walter Steele mention and like Quentin don't really blame him for not wanting to be mayor. Judging from the episode though, no one should be in a high position in Star City.
    Since I purchased the Season Pass on Amazon, I've watched that a few times. One thing stuck with me that had me laughing. Quentin says something like, "Anyone with common sense would avoid that job." When I realized that, I laughed because Oliver isn't exactly known for his common sense!

Posting Pro
    I noticed in the episode when I think Felicity dropped the wine bottle Oliver caught it extremely fast then that neighbor said "Whoa! Dude! Nice reflexes!" It reminded me of in the Arrow pilot where Oliver caught the bowl from Raisa and spoke to her in Russian then Tommy said "Dude you speak Russian."

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
    He never should have left the mission in the first place, especially considering he apparently had no intention of coming back.
    This.

I got hooked on the show (late S1-beginning S2) b/c I was rooting for Oliver and became invested in what he was trying to do. Before the events of the shipwreck etc, he was a playboy who was basically wasting his life. In S1 he came back and had a mission to honor his father by protecting the city/avenging his death. But S2 was when I connected with him, b/c now his mission had changed. He wanted to protect his city, but now (b/c of Tommy) he was going to move up a notch on his personal-evolution-ladder by not killing and by inspiring others to do the same. He was an inspirational leader (or trying to be...).

......but somehow I've ended up here: watching Oliver play house with Felicity. And he's not in the least conflicted about his choice to walk away from his mission!

Now I get that heroes have struggles and ups-and-downs and the journey-becomes-hard-and-they-falter etc etc etc....I'm fine with Oliver struggling with a conflict between wanting to carry on his mission (save/protect his city) but knowing that in doing so he is going to a dark place and he doesn't want to be that "dark" person and, by the way, he wants to play house with Felicity. But my problem is that I didn't see him conflicted at all about walking away from his mission. I don't see someone who has a mission and is conflicted about how to achieve that mission without losing himself. I see someone who has no conflict b/c he no longer has a mission and it's not a problem for him that he no longer has it.

There should have been at least a few faint embers of the remains of his mission smoldering deep within him -- even if he kept tamping them down. But I didn't see anything like that. I saw an Oliver who didn't seem to be keeping up with Star City news at all (unless it was just incidentally on the TV), even though his good friends/colleagues and family were still out there putting themselves in the line of fire, which he knew. When he did go back, it was b/c Thea and Laurel had to come and bring him into the loop (Felicity apparently did still care enough to keep up...a total surprise to him in his apparently blissfully disconnected state) and then Felicity had to help talk him into going back. Felicity missed having a bigger purpose in life, but he didn't. There was nothing about what I saw that let me know that deep in his heart he still cared about his city....he had just walked away. No conflict over his decision; he seemed to be perfectly fine with giving up his mission -- the very thing that had changed him from a purposeless playboy into the man he became. His only conflict seemed to be agreeing to go back when asked.....

There was nothing about him that was inspirational or heroic. He went back, he helped (like a highly competent hired consultant), decided he better stick around b/c of Damien, and at the end he gave his speech, but it all felt external to me --- I never got the sense he was motivated by internal drives. I'm left with a "hero" who seemed to easily walk away from his mission once. And if he could do that so completely, then I'm really left with a "hero" who apparently can just put on and discard his mission, as if it were a shirt. It doesn't feel like having a mission is a fundamental part of who he is, a part of his character that cannot be separated from him no matter what.....

If they had shown a scene or two where he kind of surreptitiously kept up with events, showed that he was thinking about Thea and his friends, showed that he was determined not to go back but still unable to fully put them out of his mind...that would have given me some way to still feel the Oliver I had connected with was there somewhere. Then, even better, if they had shown that he was aware that a new danger had entered the city (not even knowledge of the full extent of the danger would be required , but just an awareness that the threat level had notched up) and then felt the need to contact Laurel/Thea to help (even while telling himself he wasn't going to get pulled all the way back in)...well, then, something like that would have let me know the Oliver I was rooting for was still there. I would have some reason to stay invested, but there was just nothing there for me to connect to and it's really hard to feel invested or care about Oliver now... If he could just give up, why should I ever really bother to invest in caring about what he might want now and in the future?

I actually felt that I would just enjoy the show if Oliver and Felicity never came back and I got to watch the 3 people who DID still care: Diggle, Laurel and Thea. Those are the 3 people that really cared enough to stay, put in the hard work and fight for something that matters...

I really enjoyed Thea in this episode and watching her go cuckoo for cocoa puffs. I wonder what life is like for Laurel having Thea living with her. Also, enjoyed the action sequences and hope we get to see more of the Diggle, Laurel, and Thea team-up. So far, Damien Darhk seems like he will make a good villain. Lastly, I hope there is a good reason for Lance to be working for Darhk because I was sad to see him working for him.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelyGal View Post
    Lastly, I hope there is a good reason for Lance to be working for Darhk because I was sad to see him working for him.
    He probably threatened to hurt his family.

It was pretty good, better than I expected. Oliver's new suit looks so damn cool!

(But I thought it was a little weird how there wasn't any explanation on why he choose the "Green Arrow" name, especially since he called it lame before, heh. Then again, that was years ago...)
    Last edited by Bucci; 10-08-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Madman With A Blue Box Austin 3:16's Avatar
    Just noticed something. This is the second season in a row where Barry Allen, not The Flash but Barry himself, has appeared in the season premiere.

Also thought of something. Arrow and Smallville in certain circumstances were reality-based for the first 2 seasons. Then the third season was the darkest season of both shows and then it was announced that season 4 would be lighter. Season 4 of Smallville was also when they started introducing elements like magic. Arrow is in season 4 and if i remember people involved with Arrow have said theyll be bringing in more elements like magic. Anyone else notice the similarities there?

This could be a very good sign that Arrow will be having one of its best seasons yet. Smallville had one of its best seasons ever when it came to 4 which quite a few of the fans have said. Arrow may just have begun its best season to date.

Oh yeah also like SV season 4 Arrow is going to bring in more heroes like Mr. Terrific. Now im even more excited for this season.

Shelby, you touched on pretty much everything I was thinking about the premiere in your review. Well said!

The good:
    -I loved the scenes of Digneto, Speedy, and Black Canary working together. John, Laurel, and Thea made a great team and it was fun to see their dynamic. It was also great to see them stare at Oliver like 'nuh uh' when he started giving orders.
    -Dahrk is delightfully menacing and the casting is A+
    -The new suit looks good.
    -I'm mostly glad that flashback Oliver is back on the island, though it is going to seem a little strange if he gets back off to go to Russia before getting stuck back there yet again. So that one is... good-ish?
    -Diggle still being mad at Oliver. I'm glad that all was not forgiven and forgotten.

The bad:
    -I still can not find a single reason to root for Oliver. He's comfortable with turning his back on his sister and his 'friends' and his city? I don't mind a hero wanting some happiness, but as Shelby said, I needed to see at least SOME conflict in Oliver and I'm seeing none. He was happy letting the people he supposedly cared about die, letting people in his city die while he's doing... what? He doesn't seem to have a job or anything besides being a househusband. Which would be completely valid if they had kids or if we at least saw him have a hobby or... some sort of purpose? I can't root for a character who has no ambition to do ANYTHING.
    -The graveyard scene. I don't like that they're killing off another character, and I think it's cheesy, heavy handed and just lazy writing to just fast forward in time to show us that brief scene. They could have found other ways to end the episode on a menacing note, imho.
    -Still not sold on the Olicity romance. It doesn't seem very healthy for Felicity to be lying to Oliver about her involvement with the team, or for him to be completely unaware that she was bored in the suburbs.
    -Quentin working with Dahrk, though I'm going to reserve judgment until we see a reason behind it.

I'm on the fence about the magic stuff. If done well, it will be awesome, so fingers crossed!

It was a pretty decent premiere overall. It wasn't a home run, but it was good so far.

It makes sense, to me anyway, that Felicity would still stay in the loop with what's going on in Star City (by Rao, they finally use the canon name for the city!). She's in charge of Palmer/Queen's co. so it's not a stretch that she'd help out with Team Arrow"less" during that time. Keeping this help a secret from Ollie? Meh, it doesn't bother me considering their suburban paradise wasn't really in the cards for them. (With Ollie having a kid out there, I'm just waiting to see the other shoe drop on this particular secret/lie. ) They're at that (depending on your view) cuddly, or annoying, phase in their romance eg. the lovey dovey, boundaries-testing PDA's in public or among colleagues. I'm half-expecting a member of the team -- likely Diggle -- to call them out when they go all shmoopie too much when the team is on the clock. The Seinfeld shmoopie-themed ep does come to mind.

"Felicity: Your nose is soo cute!

Ollie: Yours is even cuter, my sun and stars ...

Felicity: I wuv youuu.

Ollie: I wuv you tooooooo. (nose nuzzle buffet commences)

Diggle (irritated, pounds table impatiently): Focus. On. The. Task. At. Hand. The Ghosts, the Army armoury. Plan of attack -- now!

Ollie: Sorry, Diggle. Our bad. By the way, is the fondue ready? I was hoping to squeeze in our potluck at the Star City Vegan Collective's annual general meeting before we do the Team Arrow thing. Did anyone find my hand-woven fair trade southwest poncho? I picked it up during my holistic therapy retreat in Thailand last month.

Diggle: (speechless) ------"

While I'll give such Olicity moments a wide berth for the premiere -- S4 Olicity established, point taken -- my tolerance level going forward will be affected by how these cute/eye-roll-inducing moments affect/help/hinder the main S4 plots eg. positively or negatively. Everything in moderation, as they say. Too much of anything can't be all good.

Anyway, the big mystery so far is what's up with Capt. Lance and Damien. Is it Quentin's turn this season to be under the influence (of magic?) and not totally responsible if/when he does something for Damien that has consequences? Will Ollie blame any future Quentin snafus on Lance's ongoing anti-vigilante grudge, when all his S4 actions must be seen through this under-magical-influence prism? Lots of questions on this front.

I can understand Diggle's reluctance in trusting Ollie, though this subplot is approaching its best before date. The scene with Lyla and Diggle helped to put it into context. Even if they eventually mend fences, Diggle will always have Ollie's deception and putting his family at risk in the back of his mind. So I can see Diggle one day forgive it, but it would be ludicrous if he simply forgot about it. Ollie finding (brief) suburban bliss and being happy was good for him, but it doesn't equate with earning back Diggle's trust day by day. Which he is going to have to do from this episode forward.

It was a good scene when Ollie slipped into command mode and Diggle and team didn't jump into line. Diggle was running the show and Ollie wisely realized that it was business as usual. It would be believable that any or all of them would raise questions or concerns, even dissent re: Ollie, at least early on this season because it's not Team Arrow business-as-usual. This is where Felicity being more in the loop re: team would be beneficial for him. I have hopes Diggle won't have a bout of amnesia and they all revert back to S3 mode where Ollie called the shots.

On a less serious note. there is no universe where I could be pleased with Diggle's costume (if we can call it that). While I'm on-board with the need to conceal his identity, his disguise doesn't win points with me. I'm thinking Diggle saw Ollie's 'Balaclava Guy' costume and thought: "Dammit, that should have been my costume." Diggle looks like he got stuck with one of Magneto's spare helmets -- you know, the one he'd use when he's washing the car or mowing the lawn. Maybe I'll get used to it, or maybe I'll just tolerate it.

S4 is basically Thea/Speedy's S1 in being a vigilante superhero. How she adapts to this and the Pit side-effects will be the other intriguing story arc. No wonder Ollie will need Constantine. With Thea, Quentin and Sara he is way out of his league when it comes to mystical stuff. Herbal tea and penicillin ain't gonna cut it this season.

I don't know what to make of the flashbacks so far, not much to work with. But I do think he needs to stay on the island. Ollie returning to Starling City during his exile was already incredulous -- if he goes on any more global detours, all credibility would go out the window re: his exile.

It's good that Ollie calls himself Green Arrow, along the lines of "Star City" finally being invoked, but S4 to me is: Ollie showing us that he has truly earned that mantle ... and earned the right to call himself the DC superhero of legend. As a viewer, I'm expecting we should have a definitive answer to this by season's end. Everything else in S4 is secondary to this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast