No announcement yet.

Similarities between Arrow and Daredevil

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similarities between Arrow and Daredevil

While I was watching "Daredevil" I noticed a whole bunch of similarities between this show and season 1 of "Arrow". Check out how many we can find. This topic is just for fun, not to compare the quality of the shows etc.

Beware for the spoilers for season 1 of "Daredevil".

1. Both main heroes share some popular tv tropes, for example Hero with Bad Publicity, Scars Are Forever and even Shirtless Scene.
    2. Matt is a few times called a vigilante.
    3. Matt enjoys jumping off the rooftops as much as Oliver.
    4. Russians mob + car repair shop.
    5. Seems that the very same movie ("Old Boy") was an inspiration for corridor fight(s).
    6. Foggy was as "happy" as Tommy was when discovered how his BFF spends his nights.
    7. "I want to save my city".
    8. A vigilante bothering an honest cop, who was much happier before said vigilante appeared in the city.
    9. Focusing on fighting with street-level crime.

Those two shows would make so nice crossover... Before "Arrow" turned into soap opera.

People say Daredevil is much better than Arrow, and it is, but trying to compare the two is unfair to Arrow. D.D. doesn't have to worry about commercial breaks, or the length of an episode. Visually it looks better because the budget is much bigger, and with only 13 episodes you don't get much in the way of filler. I'm not a big fan of Arrow, but it would be a lot better if it had D.D's advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine-Infantino
      People say Daredevil is much better than Arrow, and it is, but trying to compare the two is unfair to Arrow. D.D. doesn't have to worry about commercial breaks, or the length of an episode. Visually it looks better because the budget is much bigger, and with only 13 episodes you don't get much in the way of filler. I'm not a big fan of Arrow, but it would be a lot better if it had D.D's advantages.
      I agree that Arrow could be much better if it had the advantages DD has but I don't know if it's because Arrow is on the CW, if it's sponsorship for the show, if it's the demographic they're aiming for, if it's the showrunners or just the writing staff. Arrow falls short of DD on the storytelling level and not just because of the need for fillers due to the longer season, requirement of adding comercial breaks and lower budget for actors/special effects/cgi. Could it be the higher budget with DD allowed for hiring of a better writing staff? Most certainly but there are priorities one must set and I'd say Arrow misplaced theirs for whatever reason.

I'd say a big difference between DD's storytelling and Arrow's is that Arrow is willing to rip and shred what they take from the comics to tell their story while DD tries to stay true to what has made DD "popular" since 1964.
      Last edited by DoubleDevil; 07-14-2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDevil
        I agree that Arrow could be much better if it had the advantages DD has but I don't know if it's because Arrow is on the CW, if it's sponsorship for the show, if it's the demographic they're aiming for, if it's the showrunners or just the writing staff. Arrow falls short of DD on the storytelling level and not just because of the need for fillers due to the longer season, requirement of adding comercial breaks and lower budget for actors/special effects/cgi. Could it be the higher budget with DD allowed for hiring of a better writing staff? Most certainly but there are priorities one must set and I'd say Arrow misplaced theirs for whatever reason.
        I agree with you. D.D. does a better job of storytelling, but then again they have more to work with. Arrow doesn't have a rich stable of villains or stories to draw from, that's why they recycle Batman stories and villains. Having to shoehorn Batman lore into Arrow stories hurts the storytelling.

Comment

I agree with you. D.D. does a better job of storytelling, but then again they have more to work with. Arrow doesn't have a rich stable of villains or stories to draw from, that's why they recycle Batman stories and villains. Having to shoehorn Batman lore into Arrow stories hurts the storytelling.
          I find that odd since Green Arrow has stories and villians since 1941 to draw from. DD usually gets so many hand-me-down villians from Spiderman, including the iconic Kingpin, that I wouldn't really say he has such a huge exclusive rogue gallery to pick from. It's all about how you make use of the material you have to work with, ripping it to shreds just to tease the comicbook fans or actually making the pages of the comics come to life in a new and different story?
          Last edited by DoubleDevil; 07-14-2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Of course it's unfair, because "Daredevil" is in fact 13 hour film split into 13 episodes. The sole purpose of this topic was to find the elements those two tv show have in common. For me it was fun to find the elements I liked in "Arrow" also in "Daredevil".

Still, if we want to compare those tv shows on some level - there were some elements which "Arrow" nailed down better IMO - for example for me it was a bit strange that after the sixth episode (which is my favorite one btw.) they almost dropped the subplot with Matt being framed as the terrorist and the murderer. For me there was no feeling that the police is pursuing the vigilante as much persistently as in "Arrow". If they believed that he had blown up the Russians they should be worried that his next target can be some public place/office. Also, interactions between The One Honest Cop and Daredevil were not as cool as interactions between Quentin and Arrow.

Anyway, I wanted this topic to be the place to fish out the similar things in both tv show, not to compare this or that one is better.

Comment

You'll find a ton of similarities between DD and Arrow even in the comics, not just the TV shows Amarice.

I'd say the reason we didn't see the pursuit of DD after episode 6 is more due to the viewers not really having a character to follow that was directly tied to the police department. Arrow has Quentin, a fairly big supporting character. DD has some desk cop that Foggy bribes now and then with cigars for his mother for information, not a very big role as shown by both of us not recalling his name. We had a closer tie to the police with the crooked cops then anyone on the up and up that would've made DD's pursuit believable as the city trying to remove a threat.
              Last edited by DoubleDevil; 07-14-2015, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Another reason its unfair to compare the two is that Arrow has to hold back on a lot of things because its still on a channel and comes on at a time where you might have families watching, and its rated for relatively low-level stuff. In comparison, Daredevil is rated MA, mature, and lives up to that rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarice
                  While I was watching "Daredevil" I noticed a whole bunch of similarities between this show and season 1 of "Arrow". Check out how many we can find. This topic is just for fun, not to compare the quality of the shows etc.

Beware for the spoilers for season 1 of "Daredevil".

1. Both main heroes share some popular tv tropes, for example Hero with Bad Publicity, Scars Are Forever and even Shirtless Scene.
                  2. Matt is a few times called a vigilante.
                  3. Matt enjoys jumping off the rooftops as much as Oliver.
                  4. Russians mob + car repair shop.
                  5. Seems that the very same movie ("Old Boy") was an inspiration for corridor fight(s).
                  6. Foggy was as "happy" as Tommy was when discovered how his BFF spends his nights.
                  8. A vigilante bothering an honest cop, who was much happier before said vigilante appeared in the city.
                  9. Focusing on fighting with street-level crime.

Those two shows would make so nice crossover... Before "Arrow" turned into soap opera.
                  Quentin was happier?

I want to do differences: Despite being rated MA, it's main character still isn't a serial murderer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
                    Quentin was happier?

I want to do differences: Despite being rated MA, it's main character still isn't a serial murderer.
                    Daredevil is definately no Batman though, he has killed in the comics even if he hasn't done so in the tv show yet.

Comment

Actually Daredevil isn't focused so much on saving New York City as much as he is focused on saving the neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan.

Comment

You'll find a ton of similarities between DD and Arrow even in the comics, not just the TV shows Amarice.

I'd say the reason we didn't see the pursuit of DD after episode 6 is more due to the viewers not really having a character to follow that was directly tied to the police department. Arrow has Quentin, a fairly big supporting character. DD has some desk cop that Foggy bribes now and then with cigars for his mother for information, not a very big role as shown by both of us not recalling his name. We had a closer tie to the police with the crooked cops then anyone on the up and up that would've made DD's pursuit believable as the city trying to remove a threat.
                        Thought DD is more to similar to Batman. Somehow I can't think about Green Arrow as being as dark. Sure, the stories generally were (although I didn't read so many, still need to catch up on some), but the character - despite being a troubled one I-always-was-my-own-worst-enemy - in my imagination is close to the version from DC AU in Justice League Unlimited.

As for the second part - yes, it might be a reason, especially, as you said, there is no close ally in the police force. After all Matt himself works in law enforcement, so he and Foggy have a direct access to the cases.

Speaking of the show itself - I had impression that in last two or three episodes they kinda abandoned some subplots/neglected them. Overall it was still solid as the whole, but guess I liked the middle part of the show the most.

Actually Daredevil isn't focused so much on saving New York City as much as he is focused on saving the neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan.
                        Kingpin said something about "lone man saving the city". If I remember correctly Daredevil also said something along the lines "I want to save my city" - otherwise it wouldn't catch my attention.

Quentin was happier?
                        He had his issues before, sure, but guess the last thing he needed in the city was some crazy vigilante jumping off the rooftops.

You just reminded me how much I hate season 3 for swooping this fact under the rug. They started with Arrow commiting murders - something like this can never just go. Oliver should bear the consequences till the very end.

Comment

Thought DD is more to similar to Batman. Somehow I can't think about Green Arrow as being as dark. Sure, the stories generally were (although I didn't read so many, still need to catch up on some), but the character - despite being a troubled one I-always-was-my-own-worst-enemy - in my imagination is close to the version from DC AU in Justice League Unlimited.

As for the second part - yes, it might be a reason, especially, as you said, there is no close ally in the police force. After all Matt himself works in law enforcement, so he and Foggy have a direct access to the cases.

Speaking of the show itself - I had impression that in last two or three episodes they kinda abandoned some subplots/neglected them. Overall it was still solid as the whole, but guess I liked the middle part of the show the most.

Kingpin said something about "lone man saving the city". If I remember correctly Daredevil also said something along the lines "I want to save my city" - otherwise it wouldn't catch my attention.
                          Many people see Daredevil as Marvel's poor mans Batman, a lot of that is due to Frank Miller writing some of the most important stories of both characters. Some even claim Daredevil was Frank Miller's trial run since he did them before moving on to Batman. There are definately many similarities between Batman and Daredevil but there are similarities between Green Arrow and Batman as well, the three aren't really totally unique from one another.

Yes the series did seem to loose it's tight storytelling right around the "Stick" episode, I was able to accept it without much complaint because I've seen very few TV shows that really hold up to what I want 100% of the time. I expect the loose ends to be picked up in one of the other series or in season 2.

Yes both Kingpin and Daredevil continually mentioned wanting to help/save the city, but considering how large NYC is, how small Hell's Kitchen is and that NYC is pretty well packed with heroes as it is I don't take it quite that literal.

Comment

Daredevil is crap. I gave the show a try, and it was boring as hell.
                            Flash and Arrow are way better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gintoki
                              Daredevil is crap. I gave the show a try, and it was boring as hell.
                              Flash and Arrow are way better.
                              Explains why Arrow's season 3 took the unnatural turn it did. Differing tastes and opinions with differing followers. I have no problem with kiddy shows attempting to look all mature and acting like they know absolutely nothing about life, I just prefer a much more mature form of storytelling than Flash or Arrow have to offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎