Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon-el87
    A New Hope: released May 25, 1977

Solo: released May 25, 2018.
    An iconic date for sure. Still would've made more sense to release it in the winter.

Comment

Regarding the meager box office performance that Solo is making, I still place the blame on whoever thought it was a good idea to release it a week after Deadpool 2 and while Infinity War is still making rounds.

I did decide to do some searching to see if too many movies at once on Memorial Day weekend have done this previously and sure enough they have. For example, X-Men Days of Future Past came out on Memorial Day weekend in 2014 and did $90.8 million on opening weekend and $110.5 million for the total 4-day weekend, which isn't terribly different from Solo's current numbers ($84.4 and 103 million respectively). For reference, Godzilla had come out the week before, Neighbors came out the week before that and The Amazing Spider-man 2 came out at the start of the month. And Maleficent came out the week after DOFP debuted.

Then in 2016 X-Men Apocalypse came out and only made $79.8 million for the whole 4-day weekend, while Neighbors 2, Angry Birds and Captain America Civil War were still playing.

Comment

Well, I refused to pay another penny to see a Disney Star Wars film after The Last Jedi, so my cousin paid my way to see it. It was much better than expected. I thought that Alden did a fine job as Han Solo. I didn't even mind watching Woody....he didn't annoy me. I had to take points off for the appearance of a dead (in my eyes) Sith Lord. I hate when they bring back (from the dead) characters simply because they're popular. I'd give this film a B, but instead it gets a C+.

I guess that my order for Disney Star Wars films:

1) Rogue One
        2) Solo
        3) The Last Jedi
        4) The Force Awakens
        Last edited by Glove; 06-06-2018, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I watched enough of the SW animated series to know that Maul was resurrected there and had a significant character arc throughout those series. And Lucasfilm/Disney actually considers these newer series as canon. Still, it is puzzling esp. for viewers who never watched any of those series to see a guy who Obi Wan sliced in half in Episode I to be breathing again, but there you have it.

I only saw it this Friday, and it was in the middle of the day and most people were still working or at school. There were probably a dozen people tops in the theatre, so I can only assume that some of that was due to some negative reviews and/or the so-called "fallout" of TLJ. I won't discount the Memorial Day/iffy timing so close to Deadpool 2/Infinity War still in theatres etc. as factors -- because they were.

But I think that the way Disney has approached it, the idea of eventually having SW movies every year and these non-saga spinoffs flicks coming out shortly after their main saga films does run the risk of having "too much" of a good thing. I don't believe that the SW franchise is in dire straits, but I think there is a chance of SW movie-goer fatigue in terms of getting so much content of varying quality, that they don't feel as invested in every SW movie that comes out.

During the Lucas era, each film was an event and while not all of them were the greatest, as SW fans we knew that we weren't going to get so many movies all at once. Now, they want to put out as many films as they can regardless of whether we actually need/want to see them annually. I expect them to be greedy, sure, but it's clear they thought they can take the SW fandom's loyalty for granted.

Solo was an entertaining movie, but I wasn't blown away by it either. It was much better than it's being made out to be, and Alden was pretty good as Solo. I expected a bit of a heist-type movie, and that's what I got.

But Solo's less than stellar box office may reflect the 'canary in the cave' in terms of fans starting to get fatigued with a growing glut of SW movies -- not all of which are directly related to the post-Ep. 7 SW universe. Some fans may also be getting the impression that these 'A Star Wars story' spinoff movies are "optional" viewing, since they don't relate directly to Rey, Finn or Kylo's journey. There's no reason why every SW movie should, but I'd bristle at the notion that Disney would like nothing more but to cannibalize every single thing about the original trilogy - no matter how peripheral - just to put out a movie a year and cash in. There are lessons for them to heed after TLJ and now Solo.

I will choose quality of content over volume any day. Give me more flicks like Rogue One, and they don't have to be every year, where they proved that you can do a SW movie without Skywalkers, Solos or Kenobis. An entire movie all about Boba Fett -- do we really need to see more about a character whose greatest appeal is that we don't know a lot about him?

So while the lukewarm box office turnout for Solo can be partly attributed to TLJ-related fan "backlash" against Disney, I feel there are a few more factors at play here, including just poor timing at scheduling Solo when they just had a major SW movie in theatres barely 5 months ago.

Comment

I'm not sure what to say. Trailers usually hype you up, but this one didn't have that kind of effect on me. The movie just seems so pointless.

Comment

Best your post article on line instructions can affect students' effects both through affecting their access to guides, and thereby changing their preference of courses, or with the aid of affecting the excellent of the instructional environment they revel in. get right of entry to to on-line courses may additionally trade the publications that students are able technical assignment help to take and as a result their development thru faculty in terms of each their accumulation of credit and the varieties of lessons they entire.

Comment

Famous Leather Jackets

We are here for a long term, and that is why we believe in making a permanent base clients by ensuring that they are satisfied with what we provide them. We not only providing with man's and woman's apparels but are also working rapidly to produce the apparel for juniors. mens leather jacket black

Comment

An unannounced Star Wars show might be on the way, as a character from Solo: A Star Wars Story is reportedly set to receive their own Disney+ series.

A series centering around Qi'ra, played by Emilia Clarke in the 2018 film, might be headed to Disney+ sometime in the future. ThatHashtagShow reported a live-action series focusing on Qi'ra is headed to the streaming service, with Clarke supposedly set to reprise her role. There has been no official word from Disney to support the rumor, though Clarke did express her support for Qi'ra's return in the 2021 comic book series, Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters.
                  If true, it might support/tie into my theory that Sophie Thatcher will be playing the daughter of Qi'ra and Han Solo on The Book of Boba Fett.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                    So while the lukewarm box office turnout for Solo can be partly attributed to TLJ-related fan "backlash" against Disney, I feel there are a few more factors at play here, including just poor timing at scheduling Solo when they just had a major SW movie in theatres barely 5 months ago.
                    Don't think that it was so much it being released within a few months of the previous SW movie, as bad timing. What else was there, around the same time as Solo?

Black Panther had recently been released (and, I think, still in theatres). A major movie. A film centered around a black superhero (which are rare). The first Marvel Studios picture with a black superhero. A superhero, who would (as would his country) make an appearance in the upcoming Infinity War (as showcased by the trailers for that movie. Heck, when I went to see Black Panther, we were shown an Infinity War trailer before it. I remember that, because it annoyed me. It felt like the movie, that I had just paid for and sat down to watch, had been spoiled by another film's trailer).

Infinity War (again, still in theatres). A major movie, that was the culmination of years of Marvel Studios pictures. First half of the pay-off to a decade of cinematic adventures. In theory, one could label both Black Panther and Infinity War, culturally significant events.

Deadpool 2 had been released barely a week before Solo. The sequel to one of the highest grossing R-rated movies ever made.

Then there's Solo. A standalone prequel. It wasn't setting up events for episode nine. It wasn't introducing characters, who'd be featured in episode nine. It's a prequel, not a sequel. Meaning that it doesn't follow up past events or tell the next chapter of something. So, not only had a lot of people already spent quite a bit of money on these other films,* they weren't given any reason to regard this movie as a must-see.

* And I'm not just talking about nerdy fanboys, who might go by themselves or with some friends (and mostly/mainly/only go to watch superhero, science fiction and fantasy movies, and not other genres). I'm talking about families of, perhaps, 4-5 people. That's multiple tickets, snacks and sodas, for every viewing. If the family has got a small child, that can't be brought with them, they need a babysitter (whom they may need to pay). Perhaps the parents also want to go and watch a different movie, once in a while (one aimed at grown-ups. Sigh, you just know that someone is going to get triggered by that remark), without their children. Giving them further expenses, when it comes to tickets, snacks, sodas, and babysitters.

Comment

Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy says Solo taught the company that major Star Wars roles shouldn't be recast moving forward.

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said Solo: A Star Wars Story taught the company an important lesson about legacy characters that could have major ramifications moving forward.

Kennedy spoke to Vanity Fair for the magazine's big spotlight on the slate of upcoming Star Wars TV shows. While Lucasfilm and Disney have found success with shows like The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett, film spinoffs seemed to be put on pause after the underwhelming reception Solo received. For many, replacing Harrison Ford's Han Solo with another actor was too big a hurdle to overcome. For Kennedy, it was a lesson learned. "There should be moments along the way when you learn things," Kennedy said. "Now it does seem so abundantly clear that we can’t do that."
                      Oh, Katie, Katie, Katie, Katie.

The prequels recast Obi-Wan, and Anakin (twice), and were still insanely successful.

In the 1990s, Lucasfilm also did an Indiana Jones prequel series, where they recast the role with two actors, playing younger versions of Indiana Jones.

James Bond have been recast how many times?

There certainly are lessons to be learned from this movie.

1) When you hire two people to make a movie for you, make sure that you're on the same page (and that they won't just go off and do their own thing). If not, you'll have to fire them, bring in someone new, then reshoot (and likely rework the script, as I'm pretty sure that a new director (in order to get credit) need to make ca 60 % of the film, and can't just reshoot the same scenes) it all, which'll just increase the film's cost.

2) Don't release your movie, at the same time as all of these other major films (you had a sweet spot around Christmas, but decided for a spring release). The Shadow (1994) was released a week after The Lion King (1994) and a week before Forrest Gump (1994). The two biggest grossing films of 1994. They devoured it.

3) Anthologies are one thing for TV shows. However, when it comes to a film series, one should make each movie, a new instalment in an ongoing narrative. If it's an anthology film, it's basically a standalone. Much of the audience will understand, that they won't need to watch this one, to understand Rise of Skywalker. It won't set up or introduce characters or elements that'll be important to the next film. Would Black Panther and Captain Marvel (as much as I enjoyed the latter) have made the same numbers, if they had no connection to the MCU (and people weren't aware that they'd play a part in the next Avengers movie)?

No doubt, there are other lessons to be learned from this movie, but those are the ones the jumped out at me. Naturally, one should probably avoid too much recastings. Not because fans might not accept the new actor, but because it prevents you from creating something new. Instead of creating new characters, stories and mythologies, you just tell the story of the same character, over and over again. I've never seen the most recent Batman movie... because it's simply yet another Batman movie (there's like a billion of those). I recently critiqued The Terminator franchise's constant focus on Sarah and/or John Connor. My issue wasn't with the recasting, it was that the franchise's structure prevented its expansion. Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke weren't given the chance to create and develop their own strong female characters, but had to carry on Linda Hamilton's legacy role.

Comment

How on Earth are we supposed to blame this movie's failures (quality wise or at the box office) on recasting Han Solo after the production hell it went through? After two very good directors left the project because Kennedy is too arrogant to keep her nose out of a director's work?

This is one instance where she needs to STFU. She's fully responsible for the mess we got in the end. Not Alden Ehrenreich because he was no Harrison Ford.

Also, she's hardly subtle here in her attempt to pave the way for move CGI de-aging or even CGI resurrection of legacy actors.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎