No announcement yet.

Am I the only one that Disagrees "Olicity?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one that Disagrees "Olicity?"

Felicity was shown in the show in such a manner that its impossible to hate felicity, she has no flaws. But saying that, i just cant quite agree with Felicity+Olliver. Something just doesn't feel right. Maybe it was because when olliver confessed his love for her at the mansion for Slade to hear it seemed out of no where and quite fake. It's as if the directors were beaming their eyes on surveys and found out this couple is the most wanted and so they picked it. Although i love all the seasons, this random pair, coupled with ray palmer's suit and the killed-off of sara wasn't the top 2 of the 3 seasons.

Originally posted by Suggested
    Felicity was shown in the show in such a manner that its impossible to hate felicity, she has no flaws. But saying that, i just cant quite agree with Felicity+Olliver. Something just doesn't feel right. Maybe it was because when olliver confessed his love for her at the mansion for Slade to hear it seemed out of no where and quite fake. It's as if the directors were beaming their eyes on surveys and found out this couple is the most wanted and so they picked it. Although i love all the seasons, this random pair, coupled with ray palmer's suit and the killed-off of sara wasn't the top 2 of the 3 seasons.
    You are definitely not the only one, on this forum or elsewhere! It's just that we're fewer, and not as vocal/online active as the Olicity shippers, and therefore our voices are not heard by the producers. If Guggenheim and company want Oliver to continue his relationship with his "old flame" (), I just hope their romance/interaction will be better written and acted in season four than it was in season three. Then it might be bearable also for non-Olicity shippers.
    Last edited by evaba; 07-02-2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I just hope their romance/interaction will be better written and acted in season four than it was in season three. Then it might be bearable also for non-Olicity shippers.
      Actually letting them be in a relationship and interact regularly next season would be IMO them off to a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by BkWurm1
        Actually letting them be in a relationship and interact regularly next season would be IMO them off to a good start.
        This, I agree with. If, for example, the first five episodes are pretty good, and the interactions are better, I'll probably back off my current stance. Of course, we also have a new showrunner, so hopefully they will provide a balance to Guggenheim.

To the OP: at the moment, I'm of the opinion that the relationship won't last. Felicity spent the majority of the last few episodes not being able to trust Oliver. I'm taking those last minutes as her pushing aside her trust issues for love, but since Oliver is still keeping things from her (Malcolm is Ra's, as an example), I don't see it lasting. Especially since they've always set up the themes for the next season in the final episodes.

I do think the Olicity relationship needed to happen to push him towards the Green Arrow persona. But the way they've handled it has made me feel like not watching the show live anymore.

Comment

I agree, to me it felt really forced and like it came out of nowhere. It was definitely like they zoned in on that fan group for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Genny
            I agree, to me it felt really forced and like it came out of nowhere. It was definitely like they zoned in on that fan group for sure.

I couldn't agree anymore.

Maybe, I'm blind to the development of the "Olicity" pairing, but I saw nothing in the first 2 seasons that made me believe they would be a couple. And if there was some development towards that, then it was poorly done. I'm going to compare to another love pairing from another show, one that I wasn't for, but when it developed into something good, I could stomach it..............Elena and Damon from Vampire Diaries. This was another pairing formed out of a big portion of fans who craved it, than keeping Stefan and Elena together, forever. But at least with Damon and Elena, they had good chemistry with each other and there were a lot of hints at this, throughout the first 3 seasons before it really drove home in the 4th season. I still see no such thing with Oliver and Felicity.
            Last edited by TheSecretVampire; 07-08-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, I've just discovered that the delusions of Olicity fans have reached new heights.... while I am not seeing as much stuff on social media like Facebook in support of the pairing, I was recently watching one of the interviews on YouTube, and one person I recognized to be an Olicity fan used the following term: Stemily. Now, maybe this is just a result of people today liking to shorten everything for social media like Twitter, but that reads like a 'pairing', and Stephen Amell has already been VERY CLEAR about stuff like that. He had to take people to task in a video for photoshopping Emily's head onto Stephen's wife's body in memes they'd create.....

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
                Meanwhile, I've just discovered that the delusions of Olicity fans have reached new heights.... while I am not seeing as much stuff on social media like Facebook in support of the pairing, I was recently watching one of the interviews on YouTube, and one person I recognized to be an Olicity fan used the following term: Stemily. Now, maybe this is just a result of people today liking to shorten everything for social media like Twitter, but that reads like a 'pairing', and Stephen Amell has already been VERY CLEAR about stuff like that. He had to take people to task in a video for photoshopping Emily's head onto Stephen's wife's body in memes they'd create.....
                You would be right about delusional people. I bet Steven Amell is not at pleased when they do stuff like that. I've seen some fan fiction stories much to my horror where the "writers" write about the actors of Steven and Emily in romance. It's just sick of going after the real people who play these characters and do that type of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggard01
                  You would be right about delusional people. I bet Steven Amell is not at pleased when they do stuff like that. I've seen some fan fiction stories much to my horror where the "writers" write about the actors of Steven and Emily in romance. It's just sick of going after the real people who play these characters and do that type of crap.
                  The worst thing is not the #stemily shipping/fan fiction IMHO, although it is pretty weird and twisted. It is the fact that many hardcore #Stemily fans are so deep in their Real World shipper delusions that they think Stephen's wife is a bad, jealous, controlling woman, who they have a right to mock on twitter, and even on her own timeline (and some of these fans even curse her in foreign languages, like Portuguese). So, they are basically treating/talking about Stephen's wife in the same dismissive/derogatory manner as they have been treating/talking about Katie Cassidy since Felicity/EBR was first introduced.

I have read blog posts from Olicity fans who are so disgusted by the snarky remarks about Cassandra Jean from their twitter buddies that they have distanced themselves from this part of the fandom. I know that this low-key cyberbullying of girlfriends and spouses happens in many other fandoms as well, but that is no excuse. These people believe that SA and EBR are secretly in love with each other, or at least that they have a more special relationship with each other than what they have with the rest of the cast. The truth is that SA and EBR don't hang out that much on the set, and probably just have a good working relationship, just like they have with their other co-actors. The fact that EBR and SA try to appear a tad "touchy-feely" in their public appearances is just a little fanservice for the oliciters, which SOME of them, however, misinterpret as a sign of real attraction or intimacy.

I think it's a pity that the belief that Oliver and Felicity are in love has bled into the actors' Real World relationship, because the inability to keep fiction and reality apart has lead to a weird "in group" behavior that is giving the whole Olicity fanbase a bad name.
                  Last edited by evaba; 07-12-2015, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by evaba
                    I think it's a pity that the belief that Oliver and Felicity are in love has bleed into the actors Real World relationship, because the inability to keep fiction and reality apart has lead to a weird "in group" behavior that is giving the whole Olicity fanbase a bad name.
                    It hasn't given them a bad name, just taken that bad name to a new level. Ship whoever you want but once that shipping starts attacking other characters on a more personal level is when a fan goes to far and that already gives a bad name to the fandom.

Comment

The worst thing is not the #stemily shipping/fan fiction IMHO, although it is pretty weird and twisted. It is the fact that many hardcore #Stemily fans are so deep in their Real World shipper delusions that they think Stephen's wife is a bad, jealous, controlling woman, who they have a right to mock on twitter, and even on her own timeline (and some of these fans even curse her in foreign languages, like Portuguese). So, they are basically treating/talking about Stephen's wife in the same dismissive/derogatory manner as they have been treating/talking about Katie Cassidy since Felicity/EBR was first introduced.

I have read blog posts from Olicity fans who are so disgusted by the snarky remarks about Cassandra Jean from their twitter buddies that they have distanced themselves from this part of the fandom. I know that this low-key cyberbullying of girlfriends and spouses happens in many other fandoms as well, but that is no excuse. These people believe that SA and EBR are secretly in love with each other, or at least that they have a more special relationship with each other than what they have with the rest of the cast. The truth is that SA and EBR don't hang out that much on the set, and probably just have a good working relationship, just like they have with their other co-actors. The fact that EBR and SA try to appear a tad "touchy-feely" in their public appearances is just a little fanservice for the oliciters, which SOME of them, however, misinterpret as a sign of real attraction or intimacy.

I think it's a pity that the belief that Oliver and Felicity are in love has bleed into the actors Real World relationship, because the inability to keep fiction and reality apart has lead to a weird "in group" behavior that is giving the whole Olicity fanbase a bad name.
                      *blinks* You're being serious? I mean, you're usually serious but.... wow.... and meanwhile politicians yack about video games causing craziness.....

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDevil
                        It hasn't given them a bad name, just taken that bad name to a new level. Ship whoever you want but once that shipping starts attacking other characters on a more personal level is when a fan goes to far and that already gives a bad name to the fandom.
                        Agreed. I've been guilty of it on occasion, but I am more of a 'story' fan than anything else.... if story is sacrificed for something like a relationship, I get antsy. I'm pretty sure I've been critical of all the romantic relationships Oliver has had at one time or another....

Funnily enough, if I look back at my posts, I know I'll find things like, "Laurel/Sara is what Oliver needs right now, but if he's going to become the GA of comic lore, I bet Felicity will play a role in that...." so I know I was supportive of this pairing in the past, and supportive of the other pairings too as much as I've been critical of them.

Now, me, my position now is this: I like Oliver. I like Felicity. But I do not like Olicity.

Comment

Agreed. I've been guilty of it on occasion, but I am more of a 'story' fan than anything else.... if story is sacrificed for something like a relationship, I get antsy. I'm pretty sure I've been critical of all the romantic relationships Oliver has had at one time or another....

Funnily enough, if I look back at my posts, I know I'll find things like, "Laurel/Sara is what Oliver needs right now, but if he's going to become the GA of comic lore, I bet Felicity will play a role in that...." so I know I was supportive of this pairing in the past, and supportive of the other pairings too as much as I've been critical of them.

Now, me, my position now is this: I like Oliver. I like Felicity. But I do not like Olicity.
                          Looking forward to a romantic relationship, especially with a character like Oliver Queen, is fine. It's all about how it's done. Oliver-Laurel-Tommy wasn't perfect but lacked a lot of the teeny melodrama of season 3. Daredevil is the hero that's had the most romantic interests in Marvel yet season 1 barely touched on the subject aside from acknowledging it in passing in order to focus more on the rest of the story. You can write a good show even with a character that's jumping from one bed to the next without the BS that Arrow's season 3 gave us.

Comment

*blinks* You're being serious? I mean, you're usually serious but.... wow.... and meanwhile politicians yack about video games causing craziness.....
                            Sadly, I am serious...I don't troll the #olicity or #stemily accounts, so this is stuff that I have actually read/heard from Olicity bloggers, who are sick of the behavior of some members of their own fandom. It's gotten so far that when someone mentioned that Stephen first saw and fell in love with his wife when she appeared on "Mad Men", some of her twitter buddies tweeted how much they hate that show! I recently saw a tweet where someone said she hated Katie Cassidy, "because she always have to make herself look pretty in every photo", as if not every "Arrow" actor try to look his/her best at their public appearances. I'm telling you, some of these fans live in their own universe, where normal modes of reasoning don't apply, and where they try to twist everything EBR's supposed "rivals" do or say into something they can hate on. Of course, there are loonies in the Laurel/Lauriver fandom as well, as the tweeter who have harassed EBR and called her "fat". However, since it's a smaller fandom, they are not that many and not that conspicuous. During the SDCC you couldn't go into the #arrow tags without finding snarky/malicious/derogatory comments against KC, from tweeters with Felicity/Olicity/EBR sigs.

Comment

Sadly, I am serious...I don't troll the #olicity or #stemily accounts, so this is stuff that I have actually read/heard from Olicity bloggers, who are sick of the behavior of some members of their own fandom. It's gotten so far that when someone mentioned that Stephen first saw and fell in love with his wife when she appeared on "Mad Men", some of her twitter buddies tweeted how much they hate that show! I recently saw a tweet where someone said she hated Katie Cassidy, "because she always have to make herself look pretty in every photo", as if not every "Arrow" actor try to look his/her best at their public appearances. I'm telling you, some of these fans live in their own universe, where normal modes of reasoning don't apply, and where they try to twist everything EBR's supposed "rivals" do or say into something they can hate on. Of course, there are loonies in the Laurel/Lauriver fandom as well, as the tweeter who have harassed EBR and called her "fat". However, since it's a smaller fandom, they are not that many and not that conspicuous. During the SDCC you couldn't go into the #arrow tags without finding snarky/malicious/derogatory comments against KC, from tweeters with Felicity/Olicity/EBR sigs.
                              Sadly I don't expect much less from the overly zealous idiots who allow their lives to revolve around TV/Movies/Music celebrities as if they were gods.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎