No announcement yet.

Superman: Doomed

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman: Doomed

So I received a copy of the collected edition of Superman: Doomed written mostly by Greg Pak. I heard good things about Pak's run on Superman and for the most part he and Charles Soule do a pretty good job with the story arc.

Doomsday the boring villain is set loose (happens prior to the book which I have very little knowledge of) and is killing everything. The writing is chilling and really pushes Superman, ending with him having to kill the senseless monster. Unfortunately he gets infected by the Doomsday virus and begins to turn into Superdoom.

The build-up to Superman turning evil is handled really well. Pak wrote Planet Hulk and even though I haven't read it I'd imagine having Clark turn into a mindless beast is right up the writer's alley.

Doomsday channels it's inner Jonathan Hickman Avengers run for a bit.

I didn't much care about Superdoom's look but the concept is solid. For a weak character, it's great when you combine elements from it and blend it with Superman, someone you actually care about. It's not done as well as in the Dark Angel Saga I read recently but overall Superdoom is a solid idea.

Something else that's solid, the Justice League's involvement and support they give for Superman who spends most of his time either in control or losing control of the Doomsday virus. The hopping back and forth gets a bit tiring after a while even if it does build drama. Will Superman remain in control and when does he lose it?

I will have to read this again to fully appreciate the side characters that I'm not sure gel well with the overall experience. I lacked prior knowledge to some characters and their continuity in the New 52 but the story does introduce them pretty well. Some times though characters like Mongul would pop up and then vanish again a few pages later. It detracted from the enjoyement a bit.

The other thing was Brainiac's plan. While it made sense the logistics were all over the place. How and why he actually did the things he did, I'm not entirely sure. This story is carried by it's concepts and ideas rather than the actual execution.

This book did sell me the Superman-Wonder Woman relationship. Having not read anything about it I gotta say these two work fine together despite being so similar (possible could result in a lack of contrast). The last filler story after Superman is cured is really nice and honestly funny. I won't spoil it but I gotta say, a really nice way to bookend an overall good story.

First encounter with Superdoom after the change.

I stopped before the "Doomed" storyline because I didn't want to deal with a crossover at the time (and still haven't bothered to catch up), but I read the first seven issues of Superman/Wonder Woman by Soule. It was a pretty strong arc that sold the idea of them as a couple to me. It dabbled a bit with Doomsday, so it could provide a bit of context for you.

Comment

I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Comment

i have to look into it thanks

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡