Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supergirl Pilot: If You've Seen It, What Did You Think?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supergirl Pilot: If You've Seen It, What Did You Think?

So, it's out there.

The Supergirl CBS pilot has leaked online ahead of the show's November 2015 premiere date.

I'm not condoning illegal downloading. I'd appreciate it if no one talks about where to get it here. But, for those who have seen it, however you have: What did you think?

(Also, obviously, if you were good and waited until October 26 - which is worth it, as there were some changes - let this be your reaction post, too.)
    10 - Super
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - The Devil Wears Bad TV
    0%

I thought it was good. The six minute first look was a little misleading. I feel the tone of the Pilot is similar to the Flash pilot.

Comment

I liked it. I liked that the mythology is already well established; though this is Supergirl's story? It does feel more akin to the Flash. And I guess like Smallville, the first season is going to be "the escaped super-powered prisoner of the week" angle.

Comment

Here is a stupid question: Who is that woman at the end of the pilot, and why does she look like Alura? It's clearly not Lara... so... does Alura have a sister? I never really knew that. In any event, I'm confused by that.

Comment

My thoughts:

1) I liked the fact that they started off by showing us young Kara and Kal-El, and how she was supposed to follow him to Earth.

2) However, I didn't like the fact that they seemed to copy directly from the movie "The devil wears prada" as a way to set up Adult Kara's life on Earth. Kind of wish they just started with her being fresh off the boat from college and trying to get a job as a intern at the newspaper. Then James Olsen recognizes her from all the times Superman described her, and talks Ms. Grant into hiring her.

3) 12 mintues in, and we finally got to see Supergirl in action! woot! And it was awesome!

4) But oh wait, in the following scenes they keep on reminding us over and over that Super-girl is like, such a total novice! Not only because she didn't use her powers for a while, but because she's never been a superhero before. A way to subtly remind us that she's just second-rate to Superman. Kind of really insulting to her! Dur dur, she's a female, so of course she's not as strong as superMAN, because men are always stronger than women! whoever wrote some of those scenes should seriously just **** off.

5) But the fight between the lizard man and supergirl was pretty nice, I guess?

6) And the main baddie is actually related to Kara? color me intrigued!

So basically.... if they would just knock the Rom-com **** off and just focus on what makes Supergirl great, then this could be a very excellent show. I think it has huge potential to be that kind of show. It's just too bad that somebody looked at the SNL skirt on what a Black Widow movie would be like, and thought that would be a great idea for Supergirl. They didn't realize that the skit was actually making fun of Hollywood sexism against female superheroes.
          You know... "Dur dur, what does the comic book female fans like? After all, it's not like they could actually like the exact same thing as the male comic book readers! Ooooh, I know, let's do something that has nothing to do with comic books and copy directly from a Rom-com! Because surely all chicks love rom-coms, right?! There's no such thing as a woman who genuinely enjoys action movies, comic books, and ****!"

Comment

Can't get over the Jimmy Olsen casting. Mind boggling. Nothing to do with race. At all. Mehcad just doesn't act or talk like Jimmy at all. I get they wanted to use an iconic character to make the connection with you know who (why can't we say Superman's name, again?), but that was weak.

Other than that, interesting episode.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
              Can't get over the Jimmy Olsen casting. Mind boggling. Nothing to do with race. At all. Mehcad just doesn't act or talk like Jimmy at all. I get they wanted to use an iconic character to make the connection with you know who (why can't we say Superman's name, again?), but that was weak.

I thought he was cool. Jimmy has grown up, is not the fanboy Superman's pal anymore.

Besides, he was in the Supergirl movie as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                Besides, he was in the Supergirl movie as well.
                That I remember. It's not his purpose on the show that I question. Only how they went about it.

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
                  Here is a stupid question: Who is that woman at the end of the pilot, and why does she look like Alura? It's clearly not Lara... so... does Alura have a sister? I never really knew that. In any event, I'm confused by that.
                  As she referred to Kara as her neice then I think she has to be Alura's sister, most probably a twin sister. I can't recall it even being stated in the comics at all so I'm presuming they are doing their own thing with it in a way which I don't mind at all.

Comment

I think she is Alura's twin sister. She and Alura are both played by the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
                      I think she is Alura's twin sister. She and Alura are both played by the same person.
                      See, there goes my face-blindness again. Unless I've seen a person countless times or can place them in a familiar environment, I cannot recognize people.

She said she was her sister but I never realized she was played by the same actress.

It's especially awkward when someone comes up to you on the street and you have no idea who this person is and you can't really ask for their name without sounding insulting.

Comment

I haven't watched the Pilot (and won't until it actually airs), but did spoil myself on the big twist... which, incidentally, was hinted at by Ms. Benanti herself in some spoiler comments she made recently.

BTW, I think what they did is going to make for some very interesting storytelling, especially once Kara finds out what's going on (and it's inevitable that she will).

Comment

Originally posted by costas22

I think the actor was fine, and one of the more likeable members of the cast, but Jimmy Olsen ... no, just no. Why do they want to drag poor Jimmy into this??? Jimmy doesn't belong in Supergirl. Couldn't they just make up a name, or use the name of one of her old boyfriends

Comment

I thought the pilot had a lot of potential, with somethings that I liked and things I didn't. Didn't like the opening at all, poorly written and poorly acted. In the comics Kara escaped from Argo City, not from the planet. They could have mined a lot of material from Argo City. Also, Zor-el just stands there and says nothing, doesn't hug his daughter goodbye ... not believable. Then they do the same thing with Dean Cain, you pay to have Dean Cain and you don't give him a line to say????? Unbelievable!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine-Infantino
                              Then they do the same thing with Dean Cain, you pay to have Dean Cain and you don't give him a line to say????? Unbelievable!!!!
                              I'm REALLY curious what their plans are for the Danvers, since we don't know where they are in present day at all.... though I highly doubt they'd get Dean Cain and Helen Slater and NOT use them more.

Funny, though. The place where the bank is being robbed and Kara gets shot at in front of it - I'm pretty sure that behind her was where Clark and Lois got engaged on Lois & Clark. It all comes together.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎