Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supergirl Pilot: If You've Seen It, What Did You Think?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigificWriter
    You don't seem to be all that familiar with Jimmy and Supergirl's character histories, because they're far more interconnected than you seem to think they are.
    I stopped reading comics somewhere around 1970, back then there was no connection. I picked comics back up after I retired as something to do with my grandson, but mostly Batman books. I will give you that they may have given them some sort of connection in the last 40 years, but the Jimmy I know/knew Not so much.

Comment

I liked the pilot a lot. I'm a huge Smallville fan, but Clark always wanting to "just be normal" and shun his abilities, and often just be a dumb cluck, was not the Superman I expected to see. Yes, he came around in the end. But here, Kara is tired of "being normal," and wants her destiny. Cool, very cool. She's cute, but not as drop dead gorgeous as Laura, nor having the iconic yellow-blonde hair I'm more used to seeing on Supergirl.

Special FX were excellent, and they need to be careful not to overdo the technology. Very nice; it makes Chris' flying in Superman look archaic by comparison.

Calista is great as Cat; I'd see her with more eye makeup, but whatever....

I understand the ??? over James. Nothing against the actor (he was awesome as "Eggs" in True Blood), and certainly it isn't a race issue. We just lost Jack Larson, so I can't help but reflect on the "cub reporter" of days of old. This James could be a super hero in his own right, but all in all, I'm fine with it.

Helen and Dean making a cameo was awesome (I wonder if they tried to get Teri for Dean's wife??). I do hear Laura is slated for an appearance in a future ep. Let's see the show fly on its own (pun welcome), and not have to rely on actors of previous versions, but by all means it's fine to include once the show really gets going. Smallville had some really fine guest stars. As we travel, why not Supergirl?

I hope the show does well, I dig anything Superman related.

And PS....you want guest appearances? I always think Allison and Justin would make a great "bad couple" that show in Arrow....and get away with whatever they're up to.

Comment

I think Helen Slater is perfect as Dean's wife, though, I am totally noticing Alex's Lois & Clark Lois hair.

Comment

The second time around, I enjoyed the pilot yet again. There are some things about it that make it clear that we're watching a pilot-I think they were trying to stuff too much into the time period and while I thought some of the nods to girl power were cute, it was a little heavy handed. (And I say this as a staunch feminist)

Personally, I loved James, but I too was kind of iffy on the idea of a more suave version of Jimmy Olsen. I remember seeing an interview with Mehcad Brooks where he talked about being excited to play a character with a nerdy side because he's a big nerd, so maybe we'll see a nerdy side to James/Jimmy at some point.

And aside from it having some pacing problems, if the show delivers on the mix of action, comics-style lore, comedy, and just a touch of romance that the pilot showed, I think it may become one of my favorite superhero shows. I'm looking forward to next week for sure!

Comment

I didn't like that fact that so many people knew Kara is Supergirl. I was fine if it was her sister and her friend but not a entire secret government organization.

Comment

Somewhat surprisingly, I really enjoyed this. Benoist is flirting with the line of being over-the-top, but I didn't think she truly crossed it. I bought her in this role. Cat is another one that could very easily be overdone, so they'll need to be on their toes.

Very strange Jimmy Olsen, but I like the fact that Superman has been around doing his thing for years. It adds a neat touch of history to this world.

I didn't much care for Alex, the reveal of the villain being Kara's aunt, or the way Kara gave up but changed her mind after one talk with Alex, but you can't win them all. I enjoyed watching Kara being excited by everything. It's a nice change of pace. Right now, the only way I would want her to meet up with Green Arrow and Flash is by way of the multiverse.

I've seen people say they never used the word "Superman," but Kara said it in her opening narration. They definitely avoided saying it again, though.

Comment

Her questioning herself after the first time reminded me of when Barry was doubting himself in the Flash pilot actually.

Watching CBS's reairing of the pilot tonight and they shortened the coffeeshop scene. Did they do that because the show was long the first time it aired?
                Last edited by Austin 3:16; 10-31-2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎