Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Forum Whiz Carmine-Infantino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 14
    Posts
    835

    Eddie, a brilliant deception

    So, Eddie it turns out wasn't a bad guy, but in fact the hero of the season. At the start of the season we fans latched on to the Thawne name like a dog on a bone and wouldn't let go. Just like we were expected to do. By giving this character the Thawne name the writers knew we would think he was evil, think he was the RF, think he was Cobalt Blue, etc., this gave the writers several advantages. The writers had us arguing if Wells was the RF or not when he clearly was. The Thawne name helped to hide the fact Eddie was clearly a hero, we kept waiting for him to turn evil, but he never did. The whole Iris/Eddie romance also helped to send us down a false trail as we argued over if the pairing was responsible for the Flash/RF feud. It wasn't. It's clear now why they didn't give more screen time or character development on him, he wasn't planned to last. They gave Eddie just enough screen time to get us to like him and miss him now that he's gone. I admit I never saw Eddie's sacrifice coming, even after they hung a light on it a few episodes back when Eddie told RF you didn't kill me because you're my ancestor. Flash writers take a bow, Eddie was a brilliant misdirection.

  2. #2
    Board Master Dagenspear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 11
    Posts
    2,173
    What they did was regurgitate Tommy's characterization. Like, down to almost the exact letter. What a waste of a good actor and a good potential character.

  3. #3
    Forum Whiz Carmine-Infantino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 14
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
    What they did was regurgitate Tommy's characterization. Like, down to almost the exact letter. What a waste of a good actor and a good potential character.
    I agree they had similar fates, but there are significant differences. Tommy, my favorite season 1 character by the way, ran into a building to save his then ex-girlfriend, a very heroic thing to do but he didn't intend to die. Eddie intentionally sacrificed himself to save all his friends and put an end to the villain. R.C. is a very good actor, and Eddie could have become a great character, but he was never intended to be anything more than a plot device to keep Barry and Iris apart in season 1 and to put an end to RF. Tommy didn't need to die, but Eddie did.

  4. #4
    Board Master Dagenspear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 11
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine-Infantino View Post
    I agree they had similar fates, but there are significant differences. Tommy, my favorite season 1 character by the way, ran into a building to save his then ex-girlfriend, a very heroic thing to do but he didn't intend to die. Eddie intentionally sacrificed himself to save all his friends and put an end to the villain. R.C. is a very good actor, and Eddie could have become a great character, but he was never intended to be anything more than a plot device to keep Barry and Iris apart in season 1 and to put an end to RF. Tommy didn't need to die, but Eddie did.
    Starts out as cocky.
    Is dating the protagonist's love interest.
    Is against the protagonist at some point.
    Is told by the protagonist his secret identity in second half of the season.
    Is related to villain of the season.
    Steps aside for the protagonist and the love interest to be together.
    Dies heroically in the first season finale.

    Eddie says all he wanted was to be Iris' hero. Tommy needed to die to progress Oliver's story, if you believe the writers.

  5. #5
    Board Master Dagenspear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 11
    Posts
    2,173
    I liked Tommy too. I wish he'd become Green Arrow instead.

  6. #6
    Forum Whiz Carmine-Infantino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 14
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
    Starts out as cocky.
    Is dating the protagonist's love interest.
    Is against the protagonist at some point.
    Is told by the protagonist his secret identity in second half of the season.
    Is related to villain of the season.
    Steps aside for the protagonist and the love interest to be together.
    Dies heroically in the first season finale.

    Eddie says all he wanted was to be Iris' hero. Tommy needed to die to progress Oliver's story, if you believe the writers.
    Yes, I agree that they fashioned Eddie out of the same cloth as Tommy. The difference is that Tommy was supposed to be an ongoing character central to Arrow's story, that fell apart with the rise of Diggle and Felicity. No, I don't believe the writers rationale for killing Tommy, it was a late in the season decision made in an attempt to ratchet up the finale's drama. Eddie was created intentionally to confuse us about the RF and his death was a vital part of the season.

  7. #7
    Forum Whiz
    Join Date
    Dec 13
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine-Infantino View Post
    Yes, I agree that they fashioned Eddie out of the same cloth as Tommy. The difference is that Tommy was supposed to be an ongoing character central to Arrow's story, that fell apart with the rise of Diggle and Felicity. No, I don't believe the writers rationale for killing Tommy, it was a late in the season decision made in an attempt to ratchet up the finale's drama. Eddie was created intentionally to confuse us about the RF and his death was a vital part of the season.
    It's all mute anyways. Thanks to the timeline change, god knows what's actually what now. Truly anything could be up in the air.

    My one hope however is a more actual Justice League friendly universe.

    With the helmet coming into play I can only "assume" that Barry's father (or was it grandfather, I can't remember which it was in young justice) will now indeed be the original flash from the olden Justice Society.

    And I also hope that even if they do make Kaitlyn into Killer Frost that she isn't necessarily a villain.

  8. #8
    Board Master Dagenspear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 11
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine-Infantino View Post
    Yes, I agree that they fashioned Eddie out of the same cloth as Tommy. The difference is that Tommy was supposed to be an ongoing character central to Arrow's story, that fell apart with the rise of Diggle and Felicity. No, I don't believe the writers rationale for killing Tommy, it was a late in the season decision made in an attempt to ratchet up the finale's drama. Eddie was created intentionally to confuse us about the RF and his death was a vital part of the season.
    I thought Tommy was going to become the Dark Archer 2. I have no idea what these writers thought up for Eddie's character. Do you really think they had this planned? They were basically the same. They were both wasted really.

  9. #9
    New In Town cali5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18
    I thought it was interesting that Eddie's body got sucked up into the void. I wonder if that has some significance.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 15
    Location
    Rothschild, WI
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by cali5 View Post
    I thought it was interesting that Eddie's body got sucked up into the void. I wonder if that has some significance.
    That is my thought too. I don't think we have seen the last of Eddie.

  11. #11
    Pirate King Backward Galaxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    10,899
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicbimbo View Post
    That is my thought too. I don't think we have seen the last of Eddie.
    I hope we haven't. He became my favorite character by the end of season of one.

  12. #12
    Board Master Dagenspear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 11
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    I hope we haven't. He became my favorite character by the end of season of one.
    According to his wiki Cobalt Blue can heal.

  13. #13
    Posting Pro Aurora Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 14
    Posts
    1,132
    I'm still convinced that he will come back as Cobalt Blue at one point. Just picture it... season 2 has everything be completely different. Barry and everyone else becomes convinced that Eddie isn't coming back after all....for whatever reason. everyone's dealing with the ramifications of his death... and then blam, Cobalt Blue comes out of nowhere as a new hero/or villian with nobody knowing who he is. then at the end of the season they finally reveal it's Eddie, shocking everyone but the viewer. :P

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •