No announcement yet.

Eddie, a brilliant deception

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie, a brilliant deception

So, Eddie it turns out wasn't a bad guy, but in fact the hero of the season. At the start of the season we fans latched on to the Thawne name like a dog on a bone and wouldn't let go. Just like we were expected to do. By giving this character the Thawne name the writers knew we would think he was evil, think he was the RF, think he was Cobalt Blue, etc., this gave the writers several advantages. The writers had us arguing if Wells was the RF or not when he clearly was. The Thawne name helped to hide the fact Eddie was clearly a hero, we kept waiting for him to turn evil, but he never did. The whole Iris/Eddie romance also helped to send us down a false trail as we argued over if the pairing was responsible for the Flash/RF feud. It wasn't. It's clear now why they didn't give more screen time or character development on him, he wasn't planned to last. They gave Eddie just enough screen time to get us to like him and miss him now that he's gone. I admit I never saw Eddie's sacrifice coming, even after they hung a light on it a few episodes back when Eddie told RF you didn't kill me because you're my ancestor. Flash writers take a bow, Eddie was a brilliant misdirection.

What they did was regurgitate Tommy's characterization. Like, down to almost the exact letter. What a waste of a good actor and a good potential character.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
      What they did was regurgitate Tommy's characterization. Like, down to almost the exact letter. What a waste of a good actor and a good potential character.
      I agree they had similar fates, but there are significant differences. Tommy, my favorite season 1 character by the way, ran into a building to save his then ex-girlfriend, a very heroic thing to do but he didn't intend to die. Eddie intentionally sacrificed himself to save all his friends and put an end to the villain. R.C. is a very good actor, and Eddie could have become a great character, but he was never intended to be anything more than a plot device to keep Barry and Iris apart in season 1 and to put an end to RF. Tommy didn't need to die, but Eddie did.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine-Infantino
        I agree they had similar fates, but there are significant differences. Tommy, my favorite season 1 character by the way, ran into a building to save his then ex-girlfriend, a very heroic thing to do but he didn't intend to die. Eddie intentionally sacrificed himself to save all his friends and put an end to the villain. R.C. is a very good actor, and Eddie could have become a great character, but he was never intended to be anything more than a plot device to keep Barry and Iris apart in season 1 and to put an end to RF. Tommy didn't need to die, but Eddie did.
        Starts out as cocky.
        Is dating the protagonist's love interest.
        Is against the protagonist at some point.
        Is told by the protagonist his secret identity in second half of the season.
        Is related to villain of the season.
        Steps aside for the protagonist and the love interest to be together.
        Dies heroically in the first season finale.

Eddie says all he wanted was to be Iris' hero. Tommy needed to die to progress Oliver's story, if you believe the writers.

Comment

I liked Tommy too. I wish he'd become Green Arrow instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
            Starts out as cocky.
            Is dating the protagonist's love interest.
            Is against the protagonist at some point.
            Is told by the protagonist his secret identity in second half of the season.
            Is related to villain of the season.
            Steps aside for the protagonist and the love interest to be together.
            Dies heroically in the first season finale.

Eddie says all he wanted was to be Iris' hero. Tommy needed to die to progress Oliver's story, if you believe the writers.
            Yes, I agree that they fashioned Eddie out of the same cloth as Tommy. The difference is that Tommy was supposed to be an ongoing character central to Arrow's story, that fell apart with the rise of Diggle and Felicity. No, I don't believe the writers rationale for killing Tommy, it was a late in the season decision made in an attempt to ratchet up the finale's drama. Eddie was created intentionally to confuse us about the RF and his death was a vital part of the season.

Comment

Yes, I agree that they fashioned Eddie out of the same cloth as Tommy. The difference is that Tommy was supposed to be an ongoing character central to Arrow's story, that fell apart with the rise of Diggle and Felicity. No, I don't believe the writers rationale for killing Tommy, it was a late in the season decision made in an attempt to ratchet up the finale's drama. Eddie was created intentionally to confuse us about the RF and his death was a vital part of the season.
              It's all mute anyways. Thanks to the timeline change, god knows what's actually what now. Truly anything could be up in the air.

My one hope however is a more actual Justice League friendly universe.

With the helmet coming into play I can only "assume" that Barry's father (or was it grandfather, I can't remember which it was in young justice) will now indeed be the original flash from the olden Justice Society.

And I also hope that even if they do make Kaitlyn into Killer Frost that she isn't necessarily a villain.

Comment

I thought Tommy was going to become the Dark Archer 2. I have no idea what these writers thought up for Eddie's character. Do you really think they had this planned? They were basically the same. They were both wasted really.

Comment

I thought it was interesting that Eddie's body got sucked up into the void. I wonder if that has some significance.

Comment

Originally posted by cali5
                    I thought it was interesting that Eddie's body got sucked up into the void. I wonder if that has some significance.
                    That is my thought too. I don't think we have seen the last of Eddie.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmicbimbo
                      That is my thought too. I don't think we have seen the last of Eddie.
                      I hope we haven't. He became my favorite character by the end of season of one.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                        I hope we haven't. He became my favorite character by the end of season of one.
                        According to his wiki Cobalt Blue can heal.

Comment

I'm still convinced that he will come back as Cobalt Blue at one point. Just picture it... season 2 has everything be completely different. Barry and everyone else becomes convinced that Eddie isn't coming back after all....for whatever reason. everyone's dealing with the ramifications of his death... and then blam, Cobalt Blue comes out of nowhere as a new hero/or villian with nobody knowing who he is. then at the end of the season they finally reveal it's Eddie, shocking everyone but the viewer. :P

Comment

To get New offer on Web Hosting

on the regular basis i follow your content as well as your post, by the way i use it Hostgator coupon for niche website you can also apply.

Comment

I like that character really

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎