Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF? This epiodse isn't as good as I remembered it to be.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF? This epiodse isn't as good as I remembered it to be.

I remember thinking it was one of the best episode years ago when I watched it. But now I'm re-watching it on DVD, I noticed and realized a lot of things that was kind of "wtf"?

For instance, That freak barn thing is what got Lois into reporting and not dark Thursday at all?? How about when the plane crashed? Wouldn't that make her want to write about the plane? But no it's a falling barn door from the sky. That's kind of a weak way to turn Lois into an reporter.
    And on top of it, you have her get a head start on her career at the Inquisitor, a trashy newspaper without any real good reputation??

Truthfully.... as much as I like Chloe, I think Chloe was far more suited to the Inquisitor than Lois is... due to her obsession with the wall of weird stuff. They should had switched places. :P

Sick!Clark was an amusing sight to see... and a pretty good set up for a new power. I thought it was funny the first time around but seeing it the second time around? it came off a tad cheesy.. but a fun cheesy kind of way.

The rest of the ep was pretty good, but it still came off a little weak compared to the ep "Zod". It was like, the writers couldn't think of anything that could match up to Zod and so they were on shaky legs trying to display the aftermath and consequences?

so it ended up being the middle of the road for me. 5/10.

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
    And on top of it, you have her get a head start on her career at the Inquisitor, a trashy newspaper without any real good reputation??
    Well, she is a college dropout. She has neither a degree in journalism or past experience. It would be ridiculous if she could instantly get a job at such a respectable place like the DP. In fact, it was ridiculous when Clark just started working there and Chloe got in based on an article about a vampire sorority.

Comment

I remember thinking it was one of the best episode years ago when I watched it. But now I'm re-watching it on DVD, I noticed and realized a lot of things that was kind of "wtf"?

For instance, That freak barn thing is what got Lois into reporting and not dark Thursday at all?? How about when the plane crashed? Wouldn't that make her want to write about the plane? But no it's a falling barn door from the sky. That's kind of a weak way to turn Lois into an reporter.

Truthfully.... as much as I like Chloe, I think Chloe was far more suited to the Inquisitor than Lois is... due to her obsession with the wall of weird stuff. They should had switched places. :P

Sick!Clark was an amusing sight to see... and a pretty good set up for a new power. I thought it was funny the first time around but seeing it the second time around? it came off a tad cheesy.. but a fun cheesy kind of way.

The rest of the ep was pretty good, but it still came off a little weak compared to the ep "Zod". It was like, the writers couldn't think of anything that could match up to Zod and so they were on shaky legs trying to display the aftermath and consequences?

so it ended up being the middle of the road for me. 5/10.
      What? Lois doing a story about a flying barn door should get her a job at the Daily Planet, but not Chloe who has experience as a columnist at the Daily Planet, has heavy experience at her school paper and interaction with real life crime, police and several other things? Come on.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
        Well, she is a college dropout. She has neither a degree in journalism or past experience. It would be ridiculous if she could instantly get a job at such a respectable place like the DP. In fact, it was ridiculous when Clark just started working there and Chloe got in based on an article about a vampire sorority.
        I agree that it was pretty ridiculous that Chloe got in based on an article about a vampire sorority... which is why I said that I thought that Chloe would be far more suited to the Inquisitor based on her first article. But then again, Lionel Luthor basically got her into the DP the first time around... and I'm pretty sure she got by on shaky connections the second time around too. *sighs*
        and I agree on Clark too.

What? Lois doing a story about a flying barn door should get her a job at the Daily Planet, but not Chloe who has experience as a columnist at the Daily Planet, has heavy experience at her school paper and interaction with real life crime, police and several other things? Come on.
        That was not what I was saying at all! I was simply pointing out how weird that, Lois, who's supposed to be a future prize-winning top reporter of the Daily Planet... thinks that an article about a flying barn door that dropped out of the sky was newsworthy, much less front-page material. It's funny, but at the same time it doesn't make sense. Yes it was a very odd event that Lois should be curious about and investigate. But to want to put it on front page news? pfft.

I think it would had made more sense if Lois immediately didn't jump right into wanting to be a reporter. Instead, I think it would had been far more likely for Lois to want to write about her experiences during the plane crash. even talk about her "near death" experience and seeing "heaven"(even though it was actually the fortress) for herself. She then shows it to Clark, Martha and Chloe.... who all comments that even though there was tons of spelling mistakes, that it was actually a very moving story or something. So Lois fixes her spelling mistakes, and then she happens to show it to Lana Lang, who also thinks it's a very moving story about a near death experience and tells her that Lois should submit it to the local newspaper. Then it goes viral amongst those who wanted a little bit of fluff after all the darkness and horrible news that came out of dark Thursday.
        That's when Lois Lane thinks to herself that she could write for a newspaper or something if she was this good.
        But, she still needs an college degree to even get into Journalism. So she decides to take the same courses that Chloe is taking, so that she can also become a Journalist herself.

And what's more, unlike Chloe she didn't use any shady connections to get into the Daily Planet... she worked hard for it, etc... showing that she had more creditability as an hard-nosed reporter than Chloe is. Boom, now there's the Lois Lane I know.

See how that could be better?
        Last edited by Aurora Moon; 05-19-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

And what's more, unlike Chloe she didn't use any shady connections to get into the Daily Planet... she worked hard for it, etc... showing that she had more creditability as an hard-nosed reporter than Chloe is. Boom, now there's the Lois Lane I know.

Well, she actually got into the DP by writing about spaceships. How's that any better?

TBH, the only actual career development for anyone on this show was actually Chloe. She started out as a newspaper reporter and managed to work her way into the DP twice. The second time even with her black mark of her first firing. But then during her years on the DP she became more and more involved with the proto-league and journalism (as in "writing articles") became less important to her until she actually shrugged off her firing and became a full-time member of the league.

Clark unlike other Clarks before him (e.g. Lois & Clark) had no actual interest in journalism. Not while he was working on the Torch and only Tess knows how he actually got the job on the Planet after dropping out of college after only one semester and never returning (as far as we know).

But you're right in one regard: Lois finally becoming interested in journalism after the barn door made no sense. But then again, it was a new season, the characters needed new missions (when did she actually quit being Martha's Chief of Staff? That's not really a part-time job either).

It would have been much more fluid if Lois developed the need to tell the stories of the people she met in her position as CoS. But that would require two things: a) actual character development on the writer's part and b) more screen time. And with Smallville not being "Lois & Clark" but "Lois & Clark & Chloe & Lex & Lana & Martha & Lionel (& Oliver & Jimmy)" at that point in time you can only spend so many minutes per episode on each character.
          Last edited by DJ Doena; 05-19-2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

@DJ-- Yeah, I agree. I actually like your idea for how Lois's character should be developed far better than my idea. It provides for a smooth transition from that politician's assistant job to a reporter's job.

Oooh, we could stretch that subplot over at least 9 episodes where Martha and Lois is using their political clout to help out everyone all over the world who were affected by dark Thursday. And it's just a single mention in each ep but the story in the background slowly starts to unravel as we see Lois grow more agitated by what she saw out there in the streets. She also learns of a mysterious person then, who's been clearing up the rubble and stuff at an superhuman speed at night. That also lights an fire within her, as she wants to know about this person. so she starts to interview every witness who were helped by this mysterious man.... and she finds herself not only moved by this mysterious man, but also by the people's plight. some people were rendered homeless by dark Thursday, etc.
            And she finds herself writing in her notebook not only about the mysterious man but also about the people out there.

She feels that more people should know about the plight of the people, so she goes to chloe to see if they could publish what she wrote. Chloe publishes the news article under the heading of "BY Chloe Sullivan and Lois Lane". (Chloe helped with fixing the spelling mistakes and stuff). The newspaper owner notices that Lois Lane seems to have some raw talent for writing, she just needs to polish it a little more. Martha Kent tells Lois that she's proud of Lois for doing this... because there's more than one way to help people out there. Although serectly Martha isn't exactly thrilled that Lois also mentioned the mysterious savior of Metropolis in her first news article.

That's when Lois decides that she'd like to go back to college, and changes her course to Journalism. Maybe become a intern at the daily planet. It's surprisingly easy to get a Job at the daily planet as a intern because a lot of people at the DP died during dark Thursday and they desperately needed to fill their ranks.
            Lois says that she loved working with Martha... but that the job itself was too stressful and annoying for somebody like her. It's not easy for her to hold her tongue around any arrogant blow-hards. "Because face it, unlike you I don't exactly have any diplomacy skills. That's the one thing I always found amazing about you, Martha. How you're able to keep such a level head around people like that."
            Martha hugs her and tells her that she knows that Lois will do great no matter what she's doing.

oh well... we can dream.

Comment

Not in the slightest. Chloe took Lionel's deal with no comprehension of the strings attached. Initially. He told her about the strings afterwards. She thought there was a legitimate interest in her work. Hardly shady. Not to mention that Chloe's previous work there didn't get her any leniency with the boss when she tried to get herself a job there the old fashioned way. She was literally put at the bottom and forced to work hard for it.

Comment

I agree that it was pretty ridiculous that Chloe got in based on an article about a vampire sorority... which is why I said that I thought that Chloe would be far more suited to the Inquisitor based on her first article. But then again, Lionel Luthor basically got her into the DP the first time around... and I'm pretty sure she got by on shaky connections the second time around too. *sighs*
                and I agree on Clark too.

That was not what I was saying at all! I was simply pointing out how weird that, Lois, who's supposed to be a future prize-winning top reporter of the Daily Planet... thinks that an article about a flying barn door that dropped out of the sky was newsworthy, much less front-page material. It's funny, but at the same time it doesn't make sense. Yes it was a very odd event that Lois should be curious about and investigate. But to want to put it on front page news? pfft.
                Your words:
                But maybe I didn't really understand what you meant. Please enlighten me if that's the case.

And she didn't the job using shaky connections the second time if I recall correctly.

Comment

I was just speaking from a realistic viewpoint. Also, I was speaking generally about how Chloe and Lois is different in their approach to writing the news.

From the very start of the series we see Chloe chase down anything even remotely supernatural for the sake of her school newspaper. She is such a fan of the supernatural that she's always writing about it. But her subject matter is often a little out there, to the point that it sounds and looks like it would be right at home next to the Loc Ness Monster and Bigfoot. Chloe's real passion... she just likes the weird stuff, and wants to have everyone know about the weird stuff happening.
                  But, you can kind of see Chloe's love of reporting start to wane the more she works at the daily planet. Why? Because The Daily Planet is a serious newspaper that would rather report on the "real news" and not focus on things like sentient killer plants or sorority vampires.
                  I think that was why after her second time working there she brushed off the fact that DP fired her and went to work at Watchtower instead.

Lois Lane--She's far more skeptical than Chloe and tend to only write about the facts or about events that she witnessed happening. unlike Chloe, She isn't quick to jump to the supernatural explanation. she would rather dig up some more facts to see if the supernatural claims can be verified. Yes, she became a believer of the supernatural for a while there but she doesn't make it a hobby or is a fan of it.

So you see, I think Chloe would had been far more suited to the Inquisitor because of that. They wouldn't had stifled her passion for the supernatural or writing about it. Even if Chloe ended up without much proof of what really happened, they would still publish her stories... and just left it up to the general public to believe it or not.

Daily Planet would love Lois Lane's skepticism, her need to verify things, etc. Because DP is all about the facts only.

Sadly... Smallville kind of went about that in the wrong way. It was one thing for Chloe to get in thanks to Lionel, and later get fired. But she honestly should had gone for another newspaper who wouldn't had destroyed her love for reporting the supernatural/scifi happenings around the world.

Comment

But her subject matter is often a little out there, to the point that it sounds and looks like it would be right at home next to the Loc Ness Monster and Bigfoot. Chloe's real passion... she just likes the weird stuff, and wants to have everyone know about the weird stuff happening.
                    Chloe has written about that also.

Flashback in Progeny:

Younger Chloe: Mom. Mom. [Holds up an elementary school newspaper] I want you to be the first to read it: "Long live the Loch Ness Monster." Mr. Hedges said it was my best story yet. Even better than the one about the alien abductions.

Comment

In a way, that just proves my point. Chloe's always been fascinated by the supernatural, and didn't really care if it was real or not... in a way it might had been escapism for her because she hated the mundane life. And, then she found out that certain aspects of it was REAL when she was a teenager. To her, that must had been like finding out that Santa Claus actually were real after one stopped believing in him. no wonder why she's such a fan of it.

Comment

I was just speaking from a realistic viewpoint. Also, I was speaking generally about how Chloe and Lois is different in their approach to writing the news.

From the very start of the series we see Chloe chase down anything even remotely supernatural for the sake of her school newspaper. She is such a fan of the supernatural that she's always writing about it. But her subject matter is often a little out there, to the point that it sounds and looks like it would be right at home next to the Loc Ness Monster and Bigfoot. Chloe's real passion... she just likes the weird stuff, and wants to have everyone know about the weird stuff happening.
                        But, you can kind of see Chloe's love of reporting start to wane the more she works at the daily planet. Why? Because The Daily Planet is a serious newspaper that would rather report on the "real news" and not focus on things like sentient killer plants or sorority vampires.
                        I think that was why after her second time working there she brushed off the fact that DP fired her and went to work at Watchtower instead.

Lois Lane--She's far more skeptical than Chloe and tend to only write about the facts or about events that she witnessed happening. unlike Chloe, She isn't quick to jump to the supernatural explanation. she would rather dig up some more facts to see if the supernatural claims can be verified. Yes, she became a believer of the supernatural for a while there but she doesn't make it a hobby or is a fan of it.

So you see, I think Chloe would had been far more suited to the Inquisitor because of that. They wouldn't had stifled her passion for the supernatural or writing about it. Even if Chloe ended up without much proof of what really happened, they would still publish her stories... and just left it up to the general public to believe it or not.

Daily Planet would love Lois Lane's skepticism, her need to verify things, etc. Because DP is all about the facts only.

Sadly... Smallville kind of went about that in the wrong way. It was one thing for Chloe to get in thanks to Lionel, and later get fired. But she honestly should had gone for another newspaper who wouldn't had destroyed her love for reporting the supernatural/scifi happenings around the world.
                        Killer plants and sorority vampires are real news in the Smallville universe.

Basically what I'm getting from this is: Chloe has spirit and imagination. Lois is boring.

Chloe also had an internship with the Daily Planet over the summer between season 1 and 2.

Comment

Actually, they're real news only to US viewers and the Smallville residents who went though it. For the rest of the people in the Smallville universe, not so much.

Realstically... if you lived in the Smallville universe and did not live in the same area as our Smallville crew, what kind of news would you be more likely to believe? Keep in mind this is BEFORE superman even makes his debut, so far as you know Aliens and stuff like that doesn't exist at all. You've never even ran into anything remotely supernatural. (because after all, not every person living in the Smallville universe gets to live though all the exciting stuff).
                          So of course if you opened up a newspaper that talked about killer plants and vampires, you'd think to yourself: "What the hell is this crap? did I buy a inquisitor newspaper by mistake?"
                          After superman finally makes his public debut you're now more inclined to believe in the existence of things like aliens. Because you believe what you see in front of you, etc.

I think they could had easily done the joke that the MIB movies did. That the Inquisitor newspaper actually tells the truth about things like bigfoot and loc ness monster, but the majority of the population doesn't believe them because the stories sounds too far out there or sounds made up. and Ironically it's the "serious newpapers" that lies more, or often bends the truth to sell more newspaper.

Comment

Actually, they're real news only to US viewers and the Smallville residents who went though it. For the rest of the people in the Smallville universe, not so much.

Realstically... if you lived in the Smallville universe and did not live in the same area as our Smallville crew, what kind of news would you be more likely to believe? Keep in mind this is BEFORE superman even makes his debut, so far as you know Aliens and stuff like that doesn't exist at all. You've never even ran into anything remotely supernatural. (because after all, not every person living in the Smallville universe gets to live though all the exciting stuff).
                            So of course if you opened up a newspaper that talked about killer plants and vampires, you'd think to yourself: "What the hell is this crap? did I buy a inquisitor newspaper by mistake?"
                            After superman finally makes his public debut you're now more inclined to believe in the existence of things like aliens. Because you believe what you see in front of you, etc.

I think they could had easily done the joke that the MIB movies did. That the Inquisitor newspaper actually tells the truth about things like bigfoot and loc ness monster, but the majority of the population doesn't believe them because the stories sounds too far out there or sounds made up. and Ironically it's the "serious newpapers" that lies more, or often bends the truth to sell more newspaper.
                            I did say in the Smallvlle universe.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎