No announcement yet.

Season 4 Speculation

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 4 Speculation

Figured, now that we are finished with the mixed bag of Season 3, we can speculate on the show's future next season!

Feel free to post any thoughts or links to items as they become available.

Ray Palmer going missing and presumed dead, along with finding out she is now in charge of the company is what draws Felicity and Oliver back to Star City.

Comment

After a few brief moments of Ollie and Felicity enjoying, essentially, the "honeymoon" of their shipper romance early in S4, something will happen that will turn Olicity on its heads. Whether it's a new secret or lie (or an old one), some issue will emerge that will cause tension and eat away at it. Does anyone really think happily ever after is their fate, on this show? Or that watching Olicity, with no tension, enter its 'Grey's Anatomy' phase would actually be riveting to watch? Thankfully, I expect more important S4 plot developments to arise that will most likely throw a wrench in it all.

They've hinted that Nyssa isn't cool with Malcolm's ascendancy to a title that is basically her birthright. Though I expect that any S4 LOA story arc will be more of a B or C subplot in S4, I do think a 2 or 3 ep. LOA-centric story arc is still possible.

With the launch of the new spinoff, I think they'll give a nod to any or all characters in it -- either on Arrow or on Flash. Hopefully it's just a quick nod and quick departure and won't clog up an already enlarged roster. Somehow they'll find out that Sara is indeed alive. (But this still won't -or shouldn't- negate Nyssa's need to exact vengeance on Malcolm for having Sara killed.)

Somehow Ollie and Diggle will make amends on rebuilding their trust, maybe along the lines of Ollie saving Diggle and/or his family from some threat. I can't see Diggle or Ollie become like brothers again and it would take an event like saving Diggle's family to begin to repair their relationship.

They'll keep up the momentum with both Laurel and Thea in further developing their superhero careers. TPTB might get into their heads to give one or more Team Arrow members some romantic interest/fling or family-related conflict. I would hope this isn't the case, but on this network we have to be prepared for one or more characters in S4 receiving "the curse of the season-long melodrama" story arc.

They've set up Damien Darhk as a potential S4 villain -- still not sure if he'll be the season's top tier bad guy or just for a few eps. -- so either a season-long story arc or a smaller multi-ep subplot will involve him.

Comment

You know what would be a bold move for Season Four? The writers should find a way to adapt the Green Arrow: Escape from Supermax script. I heard the script is quite good and so is the story. Would be a shame to not use it. Plus I think more Green Arrow villains from the comics will show up like The Penguin or The Riddler. I suspect Joker will be the big bad for the season, since he's Green Arrow's greatest enemy and all.

Comment

I'm most intrigued by how the writers are going to explain Sara's revival with the Pit. I can just imagine, once everyone finds out how Oliver gave Malcolm the League, they will all be furious. Then Oliver explains, how out of the goodness of Malcolms heart, he let Sara use the Pit. Then all is forgotten...

Comment

My speculations:

- If Malcolm is the one who brings Sara back, it will be for some nefarious purpose. More than likely, though, its Nyssa who does it.
            - Oliver and Felicity will start out as a happy couple, but that will last until the end of Episode 1, at which point Oliver will need to don the hood and pick up a bow again.
            - Eventual breakdown of Olicity happiness because even with Happy!Oliver, I don't see him suddenly spilling his guts and I doubt she will appreciate secrets. Besides, he handed Malcolm the power of the League. Yeah, that's not gonna come back and bite him.
            - Sara becomes an antagonistic force for Laurel alone, and we find out its so her sister keeps her skills sharp.
            - At least one Malcolm subplot to further his relationship with either Oliver or Thea.
            - Thea may or may not contract an STD. Sorry, but the girl does seem to sleep around a bit more and the character she's based on does have a history of suffering from one. It depends on how 'true' they want to be.
            - We will see less of the Team Arrow dynamic we've seen (Ollie, Dig, and Felicity) and a lot more focus on Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Speedy.
            -Regarding flashbacks, this week's episodes of Flash and Arrow have painted a pretty clear picture with mentioning a Ferris Air test pilot going missing on Flash and Oliver hopping aboard a freighter originating in Coast City. So I am guessing that at least for the first half of the season, we might see a friendship between Oliver Queen and Hal Jordan.

Season 1-3 could be considered the "League of Assassins" arc. Season 1 introduced a lone antagonist who was a member of the League (Malcolm), and Season 2 showed Oliver as both ally and enemy to League members while dealing with Sara and Slade; and Season 3 gave us a frickin' chess match between Ra's and Malcolm that ended with Malcolm taking Ra's' place. Anyone else unsurprised, considering the two are rather similar?

Now, my main hope is that the showrunners realize that the larger DC crowd should be their target audience and stop with so much melodrama. I've been watching Teen Wolf on MTV, and they don't have as much melodramatic nonsense in that show, which is a teen drama.... but I don't have too much faith they'll actually use their brains. At this point, I'm just hoping that Arrow makes it to Season 5 so we can see the rest of Oliver's journey to being the Hood in flashbacks, and his journey to become Green Arrow in the present.

Comment

My predictions: Ray is presumed dead, and since he didn't get a replacement for Felicity yet she is forced to return with Oliver from wherever they went.
              Rip Hunter either stole Sara's body and transported it to the current time to be resurrected or they just got lucky and it worked after her being dead for a year. May stick around, may not.
              The villain is HIVE, and Damian is probably Felicity's dad.
              Oliver calls himself Green Arrow hopefully... maybe even goes public.
              Thea gets a yellow costume or at least not Roy's.
              Diggle becomes Guardian.
              They use the suicide squad members again but rename them The Secret Six maybe? I'm sure Cupid will return somehow at least, and maybe Komodo.
              Slade returns as a mercenary working for HIVE.
              Coast City and Hal Jordan are the Flashbacks, shows how he dissapears, then reappears in the midseason crossover with Flash.
              The league may take the place of the suicide squad in helping with HIVE.

Comment

When season 4 starts, most likely after a time jump, Oliver and Felicity (maybe in Coast City), are living in bliss. Diggle, Laurel and Thea are protecting Starling City.

Felicity and Oliver come back because of the business and since Oliver gave up the Arrow (for a myriad of reasons), he chooses to focus on Oliver Queens public persona, his philanthropy and maybe the even explore him becoming mayor (not too sure about that one tho). Now I have two theories about how The Arrow reemerges in Starling: 1) Having been back in the city has made him miss the Arrow, so he gets a new suit courtesy of STAR Labs and goes out at night patrolling. 2) Something happens where he feels The Arrow is needed again so he gets a new suit courtesy of STAR Labs and goes out to do his thing. In both cases since Thea has been doing her thing in the Red suit for months, the media has taken to calling her the Red Arrow, so when Ollie comes back, the media will differentiate by calling him the Green Arrow. Im thinking that this will happen by episode 5 or 6. By mid-season, having earned back the trust of the city as Oliver Queen, he will out himself as the Green Arrow.

The only wrinkle in this plan is that Captain Lance still has it out for him, so that will have to be rectified somehow. Unfortunately i got no theories about how they do that...lol.

The situation this series is in reminds me of seasons 6 and 7 of Dexter. I call s6 of that show a set-up season. The whole season was designed to get to a very specific moment, which made s7 freakin awesome (maybe the best of the series, in my opinion). S3 of Arrow was also a set-up season, now it was no where near as bad as s6 of Dexter, but we can all agree s3 of Arrow had its issues. As with s6 of Dexter, s3 of Arrow was designed to get to a very specific moment (Oliver being happy). Therefore I truly believe that s4 of Arrow will be awesome. Heres hoping.

Comment

Presumably influenced by the massive successes of Guardians of the Galaxy and The Flash, the [...]

Marc Guggenhiem said that Season 4 will take on a lighter tone.

So even though they aren't spoiling the story they have they mentioned the tone the season is going to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
                    http://comicbook.com/2015/05/15/arro...-lighter-tone/

Marc Guggenhiem said that Season 4 will take on a lighter tone.

So even though they aren't spoiling the story they have they mentioned the tone the season is going to have.
                    That's to be expected. The lighter tone, I mean. They've said they want to align him further with the Oliver Queen/Green Arrow of comic lore. Only way to really do that would be if the show had a lighter tone. Of course, they probably mean that in terms of the present day storyline (which I'm wondering about since next season is HIVE). But the flashbacks will have to be darker since he's not quite the Hood yet.

Looking back over the past 3 seasons, there is one thing that stands out: the Season 1 finale, he stabs himself through the chest to take out Malcolm, risking possibly killing himself; Part 1 of the Season 2 three-part finale, he is ready to give himself up; and Season 3 finale, his initial plan was to die with Ra's and the rest of the League on the plane. Later, on the dam, there is no way he didn't see the flashing lights and not realize what would happen to whoever won the duel.

I think when they talk of a lighter tone, they mean a less dark Oliver who is not so prone to an 'okay, to deal with the villain, I have to die' line of thinking.

Comment

I also think they'll bring back the Bird of Prey, maybe even give them a mini-arc since there are now so many female crime fighters.
                      Speedy, Black Canary, White Canary, Huntress, Katana, maybe Nyssa and Sin for an episode too, Hawkgirl. and Felicity as the Oracle.

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
                        That's to be expected. The lighter tone, I mean. They've said they want to align him further with the Oliver Queen/Green Arrow of comic lore. Only way to really do that would be if the show had a lighter tone. Of course, they probably mean that in terms of the present day storyline (which I'm wondering about since next season is HIVE). But the flashbacks will have to be darker since he's not quite the Hood yet.

Looking back over the past 3 seasons, there is one thing that stands out: the Season 1 finale, he stabs himself through the chest to take out Malcolm, risking possibly killing himself; Part 1 of the Season 2 three-part finale, he is ready to give himself up; and Season 3 finale, his initial plan was to die with Ra's and the rest of the League on the plane. Later, on the dam, there is no way he didn't see the flashing lights and not realize what would happen to whoever won the duel.

I think when they talk of a lighter tone, they mean a less dark Oliver who is not so prone to an 'okay, to deal with the villain, I have to die' line of thinking.
                        On dark Oliver willing to end his own life to stop a villain is I think going back to what Peter said on that submarine about the essence of heroism is to die so others can live. I think that's one thing Oliver really latched onto.

Ok how far away is Oliver from becoming the Hood that we first met in season 1 besides gaining his tattoo's?

Comment

Originally posted by Haggard01
                          On dark Oliver willing to end his own life to stop a villain is I think going back to what Peter said on that submarine about the essence of heroism is to die so others can live. I think that's one thing Oliver really latched onto.

Ok how far away is Oliver from becoming the Hood that we first met in season 1 besides gaining his tattoo's?
                          Hmm.... good point. A lot of his mentality seems to come from Season 2. Peter's words, and then his protectiveness of the women in his life likely stemmed from Slade's threat when he was pinned under debris. Despite believing Slade dead, I'm sure Oliver realized that when he returned, the most vulnerable people would be his mother, sister, and Laurel. That eventually extended to Felicity when she became more involved as part of Team Arrow.

In terms of how far Oliver is from being the Hood. Well, I was just watching the scenes in the pilot where Oliver is returning home. In the recent finale, he was of the opinion he didn't want that darkness around his mother and especially around his little sister; yet in the pilot, he has the mask of the Oliver she knows, but when he is facing towards the stairs, his smile drops. There are several moments throughout the first season where a harsher, darker Oliver rears his head. Oliver has to get to the point where he can hide this persona, but doesn't mind it coming out as much. The fight he has with that assassin in 1x20, for example, was a major risk because even if Laurel and Tommy couldn't get out, any number of guards or even his mother could have seen what happened. His actions with China White in 1x02 weren't given much thought from Laurel because she was A: freaked out at being nearly assassinated by the Triad and B: still on the "Oliver is the same shallow POS that slept with my sister, but I still care for him and don't want to' kick.

As Diggle pointed out early in Season 3, Oliver lied to Thea with near-sociopathic (or straight-out sociopathic) sincerity for two years. He didn't learn that from Waller, unless she gets involved again (which I doubt).

In terms of skills: Oliver is very good with a bow now, and has lost that part of himself that doesn't mind torturing others thanks to Shrieve and the loss of Akio. He is a bit colder, but still cares enough that he wants to be away from Starling. He needs a willingness to use that brutality regardless, as well as spending enough time with Anatoli to become a Bratva Captain, and let's face it, he did not get that just for saving Anatoli's life. He had to probably do some really shady stuff.

Comment

My thoughts on how Season 4 will start

-Season 4 will start when months later Felicity finds out that Ray, who is presumed dead, gave her ownership of Palmer Technologies. She and Oliver will return to Starling City.

-Oliver, with his identity crisis in the past, will be focused on helping Felicity run PT. I don't think that Oliver and Felicity will be broken up in Season 4. After all the buildup that was shown, I don't see TPTB flushing that relationship. But, I do think that this relationship will moved to the background, with only the occasional quick reference. Then at the winter break, episode 9 or 10, it will be reveiled that they quietly got married with only Thea and Donna witnessing.

-Speedy and Canary won't quite be operating like a well oiled crime-fighting team without Oliver and Diggle. They will be having problems, such as not having a actual base of operations for Lance to find. They'll be kind of winging things.

-A situation that Speedy and Canary can't handle by themselves will pop up. Felicity will have to convince a initially reluctant Oliver, that the team needs him. As Felicity tries to convince Oliver to help, he will point out that SCPD has all his gear. Felicity will then take him to a new Arrow Cave that she has set up. Waiting there for him will be his new "Green Arrow" suit. Felicity will explain to him that she knew he would eventually go back to "suiting up", because that's what kind of man Oliver Queen is, a hero.

-The Green Arrow will be born. He will save the team's asses. And we'll see the team together in the new Arrow Cave to close episode 1.

I'm expecting to see Diggle be antagonistic toward Oliver over the entire season. Maybe, Diggle and Lyla will be switching places this season with Diggle being a Dad and Lyla working with the team. Maybe Lyla was in on her "kidnapping". Perhaps, she said all of what she did to Oliver because she knew it would look suspicious for her not to. Maybe she had a ARGUS agent keeping a eye on little Sara until Diggle went home to "find" her seemingly alone.

Comment

The stuff Flashback Ollie will have to do to earn his place in the Russian mafia is going to be murky indeed. And not just gangland turf war stuff. Extortion, racketeering, arms trading etc. It's the CW, but if they even skim the surface of things like human trafficking, targeting political dissidents or reporters, Ollie's Bratva career could take him to some pretty dark places where he will have to make uncomfortable choices. Places he'll need to go to become S1's The Hood.

I hope it takes time for Diggle to mend his relationship with Ollie. It should take more than 'Diggle, how bout I buy you a round at the pub' to fix it. It might be easier if Lyla's on board with Ollie's current mindset -- but then it would mean Diggle and Lyla would have issues to sort out.

I'm hoping they won't rehash too much the "Team Arrow without the Arrow" theme. Laurel's still newer, but she's more experienced and it will be primarily Thea/Speedy who will be shown the ropes. It's still going to be rocky for them, even more so without Diggle, so it remains to be seen if they can avoid treading over familiar, life-without-Ollie S3 territory.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎