4 10.00%

2 5.00%
  • 1 - Meh. That was it?

4 10.00%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "My Name Is Oliver Queen?"

What did you think?

First episode of Arrow that has been disappointing to me.

So the whole season boils down to a Malcolm Merlin plot to take over the league and become the new Ra's, gotta admit I didn't see that one coming. After a long and mostly boring season at least the season ended with a decent episode.

Settling In
    It was alright, and had some good lines, Barry thanking Felicity for revealing his identity to Malcolm and then apologizing to him for saying that and Captain Lance's line that it must be May!

Settling In
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Knight View Post
    First episode of Arrow that has been disappointing to me.
    Really? Out of the whole series this episode disappointed you? You liked that crap "Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak" episode over this?

This finale was awesome in my opinion. I have mixed feelings about the season as a whole but this provided a nice wrapped bow to top off Oliver's identity crisis arc that's been 3 seasons in the making.

Forum Regular
    it was 50/50 for me, like that malcolm is now ras al ghul, finally puts him back into villain territory. Like the direction they are taking diggle. Loved the scene with barry thanking felicity for revealing his identity. Thea was pretty awesome even though brief. But unfortunately the episode was just pretty underwhelming for a finale. i mean the way they ended it im suspecting a time jump between this and next season, but that means the arrow will not cross over with the flash unless the flash also has a time jump. I liked the hint that the atom will finally shrink, and we know that season 4 will probably be the rise of the green arrow, but still they had a bad season and it never really did redeem itself, so all in all i gave this episode a 5/10

Just a few first impressions about the finale:

-Ollie knows how to fly military cargo planes. Heck it's the season finale, I'll go along with it.

-I still can't blame Diggle for feeling betrayed re: Ollie's deception. It may have been a necessary deception in Ollie's eyes, but it will take more than an "I'm sorry" to fix things between them.

-The flashbacks haven't been that great this season but at least after today we know that Flashback Ollie is going down a very dark road. He would have to, if he's heading towards his killer vigilante fate in S1. I'm expecting S4 and 5's flashbacks to be about Ollie going to a very dark place, which might explain ...

-Ollie setting aside his Arrow identity to, I guess, reclaim his soul (and, yes, ride off into the sunset to enjoy fleeting happiness with Felicity by his side ). We all know this cannot last, how could it? I can almost predict that after getting some excessively soapy moments of blissful Olicity early in S4, things will unravel and the "heart" of Olicity will be smashed into bits under the weight of secrets, lies and mistrust. I'm actually expecting nothing less than this in S4 -- if only because potentially watching several eps. of Ollie and Felicity picking out closet organizers at IKEA, going on couples' dates, hosting fondue parties etc. is probably not what the average Arrow viewer will be signing up for next season.

-The dam fight was a bit predictable. Ra's fights better in daylight, Ollie fights better at night? In a universe where the Lazarus Pit exists, no one can be truly dead. But Felicity saving both Ollie's soul and his body in one episode was really stacking the fan service deck.

-Christopher Heyerdahl as Damien Darhk and hopefully as a major S4 villain. I know he'll bring it, let's hope next season's writing lives up to his talent.

-Ollie handing Malcolm the League isn't a good plan however he may spin it. The end of Olicity -I'm guessing- will be born with this mother of all lies (among other things), esp. without Diggle to call Ollie out on it.

-Captain Lance was a "functioning alcoholic" these past few weeks? This seemed to come out of nowhere, despite his past. It's a quick way to explain away the exhausted Lances' family spat subplot. Like Quentin said, it must be May.

Forum Regular
    I have a feeling Oliver and felicity will come back married in season 4

8 - Good, but didn't really feel like a finale. Still feel Sara's death is unanswered for. Was looking for more resolution between Lances and with Quentin and Ollie. So didn't Palmer sign over the business to Felicity and now she is leaving?
    Liked the ending. Liked Flashback Ollie snapping. Liked the return of Speedy. Liked ATOM suit Felicity. Liked The Flash showing up. Hey that could have been any Barry right?

Christopher Heyerdahl as Damien Darhk and hopefully as a major S4 villain. I know he'll bring it, let's hope next season's writing lives up to his talent.
    Heyerdahl's character is already dead and DD had already left the city so I guess they haven't cast him yet.

Still feel Sara's death is unanswered for.
    Agreed, but I guess that is what the episodes leading up to the new spin off will be for.
    Hey that could have been any Barry right?
    Exactly! Lol.

Less than a week after the first episode of the season I called the season ending with Oliver turning his back on the mask to work on being the man so small fist pump for me, though technically he rejected being the Arrow AND who he was before as Oliver Queen while now working to embrace this new man that now exists. I kind of expect them to rush him back into crime fighting but I hope they also spend time on him doing good just as Oliver Queen.

Really liked that he got his first vacation in 8 years.

Poor Palmer, gave away his company and then blew himself up. So explosion with nanotech will equal shrinking ability?
    He was a character that started to grate on me until they let him out of the isolation booth but since he's been interacting with the rest of the cast, I've been enjoying him. Liked that they found a reasonable reason why he wasn't out in the field. Liked that both he and Felicity were saving the city with their brain power.
    Captain Lance was a "functioning alcoholic" these past few weeks? This seemed to come out of nowhere, despite his past. It's a quick way to explain away the exhausted Lances' family spat subplot. Like Quentin said, it must be May.
    Well the good news is they didn't kill him off! His heart troubles live for another day! I hope they are done with him being on the bottle by next fall. The addiction plot was not fun with Laurel and it will be even less fun with Lance. We need him for other stuff.
    Ollie setting aside his Arrow identity to, I guess, reclaim his soul (and, yes, ride off into the sunset to enjoy fleeting happiness with Felicity by his side ). We all know this cannot last, how could it? I can almost predict that after getting some excessively soapy moments of blissful Olicity early in S4, things will unravel and the "heart" of Olicity will be smashed into bits under the weight of secrets, lies and mistrust. I'm actually expecting nothing less than this in S4 -- if only because potentially watching several eps. of Ollie and Felicity picking out closet organizers at IKEA, going on couples' dates, hosting fondue parties etc. is probably not what the average Arrow viewer will be signing up for next season.
    Or they have a mostly normal functioning relationship that doesn't bring the drama and tears. Olicity fan's don't want closet organizers, we want partners in action. Figure out a way to let them do hero stuff like they used to only now at the end of a mission they leave the new lair at the same time. Oliver and at least this viewer need time off from the soapy angst. There is no reason for there to be secrets lies and mistrust since there is none of that now. There's plenty of forces outside of a relationship to drive the drama. I thought a lot of viewers were tired of the romantic aspects driving the show. Why would the prospect of going through all that again be something to want?

Loved Nyssa taking full credit for Laurel's take down of her virus guy. That was hilarious. Loved a lot less Nyssa kneeling before Mal al Ghul. You bid your time girl!! That said, I hope she comes back to hang with Laurel. I enjoy them together. (as friends)

Thea as speedy was awesome. She looks fantastic in her outfit. Still will miss Roy though. Oliver got past any worry about his sister doing the vigilante life real quick but I'll blame the writers running out of time for that. They should have sped up their timeline on a lot of storylines so the finale didn't feel quit so rushed.

Still, great episode. Glad to know Malcolm was in it for a big prize. Makes him helping more understandable. Will miss Tatsu. I didn't love the flashbacks but I did learn to love Tatsu and Maseo. Wonder if we will get to see Katana again. Sad about the continued bromance rift between Oliver and Diggle but my curiosity is up about what they plan for his identity concealment.

Of course loved that Felicity was able to give Oliver the pep talk he needed after his whole dying in a fiery plane crash didn't work out. The thing with Ray's suit was straight out of Iron Man III so saw it coming the moment Ray was too busy but it was such fun. EBR looked like a chipmunk behind that mask, lol (and adorable one naturally) SA did the best laugh/smile combo after the save. So cute.

Finally loved that Oliver's dreams came true. Ra's said dreams are either about a truth, a desire or a temptation, but I think Oliver got all three rolled into one.

That Porsche though, pretty sure it was Felicity's since the plates read 2FS-4FR. Yeah, I like this 2nd incarnation of Felicity Smoak. I'm sure the old Firestorm character was fine but yeah, this FS forever is my sentiment too.

If any episode ever encapsulated the number of ways the Arrow showrunners have screwed up this show, it was this one. It started off fairly decent and in the last 10 minutes it degenerated into an inexcusable stinking pile of fan service and Iron Man 3 plagiarism.

The awful:

- The "jump the shark" moment of the series, I'm afraid: Felicity saves Oliver in the ATOM suit. No excuse for this. Even if it's "Iron Man 3 did it with Pepper too". (a) That one also sucked and (b) The Iron Man suit supposedly worked on its own. What we saw last night was Felicity using and controlling the ATOM suit faster than Ray Palmer did. How absurd was that? And then there's the whole "everyone on this show is a hero, lets make Felicity be a hero too!" ridiculous mentality. I've dreaded a lot of things about this show, but I hoped they wouldn't go there. But I guess it was fitting. Felicity getting proped through Ray's suit. The theme of the season between those two.

- How did Oliver survive 3 shots to the chest anyway? Diggle's killed Lord knows how many LOA members with bullets. Sorry, I forgot, "Oliver is tough", as Marc Guggenheim once said when asked how he survived the duel with Ra's.

- Oliver killing Ra's. The show has butchered the Ra's character a fair amount in recent episodes, but I wanted to believe that DC wouldn't allow them to have Oliver best and kill one of the prime Batman villains. But I guess that goes to show how disinterested DC is in Arrow these days...

- So...in a season that was about Sara's murder, how was that avenged? Her killer was given the keys to the LOA by our hero, who promised to bring him to justice. And no, it doesn't matter if Sara is revived elsewhere or not. The show's, and specifically Oliver's, lack of morals on this matter can't be undone.

- Did we need yet another pep talk by Felicity to Oliver? We've seen it countless times on the show. Hell, we saw it in last year's finale too. At least be original about something. Why not give another character (Laurel or Thea) that distinction for once?

- Oliver and Felicity riding off in the sunset I suppose is a good ending. If you're an Olicity shipper, anyway. Didn't do anything for me. And it's not like it will stick, so what was the point? I'd rather they gave us a cliffhanger and something to look forward to next season. But then again, this show has been full tilt Olicity this season, so I guess it had to end that way too.

The not so awful:

- Barry's cameo. And I suspect he's one of the main reasons this episode will do well in the ratings.

- The flashbacks weren't good this season, but the end was fitting. I hope we see more of Tatsu next season.

- Oliver's ridiculous decision aside, Malcolm becoming Ra's was a cool moment. The true villain of the season.

- Thea as Speedy. She looked good in her suit and it will be interesting to see how she and Laurel work together.

- Laurel and Nyssa, for the brief scenes they were in. Why didn't Nyssa stay behind? Why go to Nanda Parbat and work under a man she despises?

- Diggle in action. I also loved that some tension remained between him and Oliver.

- The plane sequence. The special effects weren't the greatest, but it was probably the best part about the episode.

- Quentin didn't die. Although I hate that we're back to square one with him too. A drunk cop, who's grieving the death of one daughter and who's on shaky ground with the other.

Episode rating: 2/10
    Season rating: 2/10

It's been a sorry mess from start to finish. I suspect the Flash became the main priority and somewhere along the way, the 3 showrunners forgot what made Arrow what it was. Here's hoping they go back to that, although as one beautiful lady once said, "once you let the darkness inside, it never comes out".

Can't wait for the Flash finale. At least that show hasn't been an utter disappointment this year.
    Last edited by costas22; 05-14-2015 at 02:42 AM.

I enjoyed the episode. I just hope that the seasons events are not erased by Barry going back in time to save his mom, or by Oliver waking up on the plane with Ra's after his dream of rebirth

Forum Whiz
    That was incredibly disappointing. And making Malcolm the next Ra's al Ghul, whilst it was an interesting twist, made absolutely no sense. Even when Oliver gave him the ring to be Ra's he says how he will never forgive Malcolm for what he did to Sara and his sister. So why on Earth give Malcolm the power to be head of the League of Assassins? Why not give it to Nyssa? Why would the League of Assassins even go along with it after what Malcolm has done? They are just setting up Malcolm to be the Big Bad for whenever Arrow has its last ever season. After this finale, it will probably come sooner rather than later.

So they still haven't told us how Oliver learnt to fly a plane although it was nice symmetry I guess seeing as he also flew a plane in last seasons finale.

When Barry came, whilst his lines were amusing, it looked like there were just six assassins in Nanda Parbat. Six? Really?

Much too much Felicity in this episode when there should have been more Laurel and Thea. Thea looked great in her costume.

Very disappointing episode.

On another note, it looks like Oliver is still cheating as he is married to Nyssa .

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    That was incredibly disappointing. And making Malcolm the next Ra's al Ghul, whilst it was an interesting twist, made absolutely no sense. Even when Oliver gave him the ring to be Ra's he says how he will never forgive Malcolm for what he did to Sara and his sister. So why on Earth give Malcolm the power to be head of the League of Assassins? Why not give it to Nyssa?
    As I understood the scene, that was the agreement. Merlyn helps Oliver with his plan to take down Ra's from within and in return, Oliver hands him the leadership of the league. So Oliver was just keeping his word. Mind you, Malcolm already owed Oliver a lot prior to their agreement so I don't get why Oliver felt like offering more. Or why his word to Malcolm meant more than his word to Laurel and Nyssa about bringing Sara's killer to justice...

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    So they still haven't told us how Oliver learnt to fly a plane .
    Yeah, true. At the end of last season, they alluded that the Hong Kong flashbacks would show us how he learned to fly a plane. They didn't.

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    As I understood the scene, that was the agreement. Merlyn helps Oliver with his plan to take down Ra's from within and in return, Oliver hands him the leadership of the league. So Oliver was just keeping his word. Mind you, Malcolm already owed Oliver a lot prior to their agreement so I don't get why Oliver felt like offering more. Or why his word to Malcolm meant more than his word to Laurel and Nyssa about bringing Sara's killer to justice...
    I guess that makes sense, even though Oliver should have double-crossed Malcolm, but why would the League and Nyssa go along with it? They should tear him apart.

On another note, didn't the writers also say this season what that thing with Komodo was all about?

I really hope Season Four is better but seeing as half the Executive Producers are starting work on new productions (Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, I think that's what it's called), Arrow will just fall by the wayside.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast