Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are they paying for this? (STAR Labs)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are they paying for this? (STAR Labs)

With Wells outed as Eobard Thawne, how are the good guys paying for stuff?

Like the electricity and plumbing for the reactor?

Other things I wonder:
    What does Joe tell people at work he does all day?
    Same with Barry
    Does Eddie's work not care he has not shown up for his shift?

I feel like I am nit picking lol

Comment

Electricity, plumbing, equipment for Cisco's gadgets of the week, internet hook-up...

In the deleted scene from the most recent episode, Caitlin is shown wheeling in food for the meta prisoners. It's take-out. Who's paying for the Thai food?

Also, their salaries. I mean, presumably these characters have rent payments and grocery bills of their own. They go to the coffee shop, go on dates, probably have cable. They have cars which need gas, insurance payments, etc... Who's providing their medical insurance? Who pays if Caitlin needs a new pair of sneakers? Or if Cisco needs a new t-shirt?

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
        Electricity, plumbing, equipment for Cisco's gadgets of the week, internet hook-up...

In the deleted scene from the most recent episode, Caitlin is shown wheeling in food for the meta prisoners. It's take-out. Who's paying for the Thai food?

Also, their salaries. I mean, presumably these characters have rent payments and grocery bills of their own. They go to the coffee shop, go on dates, probably have cable. They have cars which need gas, insurance payments, etc... Who's providing their medical insurance? Who pays if Caitlin needs a new pair of sneakers? Or if Cisco needs a new t-shirt?
        They don't show in on screen, but I'm sure wells has set up funding streams based off patents and leasing technology to other companies. A typical business as large as Star Labs would have a small army of accountants tending to accounts payable. Cisco and Caitlin most likely have company credit cards for small purchases. Just because we only see wells, Cisco and Caitlin doesn't mean there aren't other employees on the non flash levels of the building.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine-Infantino
          They don't show in on screen, but I'm sure wells has set up funding streams based off patents and leasing technology to other companies. A typical business as large as Star Labs would have a small army of accountants tending to accounts payable. Cisco and Caitlin most likely have company credit cards for small purchases. Just because we only see wells, Cisco and Caitlin doesn't mean there aren't other employees on the non flash levels of the building.
          I disagree with the entirety of this.

If we don't see other employees, it absolutely means there aren't any.

Part of the reason our heroes have been able to do what they do is because they've been able to act on their own, answering to no one. If there's a board of directors out there somewhere, then they should be held accountable to that board and there should be expectations on them, like turning a profit on new inventions, or contributing research to ongoing projects.

My understanding is that STAR Labs was owned and operated by the extraordinarily wealthy Harrison Wells. With him gone, that can't be true anymore, which means we need to know what is true. Thus, my question... who is paying for all this?

Comment

They're feeding their prisoners take-out? That's gotta be expensive. I figured that it was more of a h.s./dorm cafeteria plan, with Cisco whipping up meals of the day. Naturally, Caitlin would lead the yoga/cardio/fitness classes.

Comment

At the moment, they're probably fine....cause hasn't it just been a few days. I image that they had employee benefits like healthcare and savings and maybe got their last paychecks before the Wells reveal.

So with that said, I assume Cisco and Caitlin are going to be collecting unemployment which could last them a few months. As smart as either Cisco and Caitlin are, it won't take them too long to find other means of employment.

Comment

Part of the reason our heroes have been able to do what they do is because they've been able to act on their own, answering to no one. If there's a board of directors out there somewhere, then they should be held accountable to that board and there should be expectations on them, like turning a profit on new inventions, or contributing research to ongoing projects.

My understanding is that STAR Labs was owned and operated by the extraordinarily wealthy Harrison Wells. With him gone, that can't be true anymore, which means we need to know what is true. Thus, my question... who is paying for all this?
                Richard Pryor by skimming off the excess cents that can't be paid

Seriously though, there was govt funding somewhere as the military was involved with at least Grodd and probably others as well, so it WASN'T all Wells. And tbh, a private individual simply would NEVER get clearance to build a particle acellerator in a populated city no matter how much money they had WITHOUT state and or military say so.

No one needs to pay for anything atm though imo as there are probably enough funds still sloshing around in the accounts to keep Cisco, Caitlin et al paid and maintained for quite a while. It's still a secure facility with loads of EXTREMELY high tech that STILL needs maintenance at the very very least.

Where is that deleted scene with the food ? I've not even heard of it till you mentioned it.

And thx for your praise re my theory regarding the passes, sometimes it's surprising what comes to mind when questions are asked.

Comment

I never said that there was a board of directors, or any other owner other than Wells. Yes the lab is being funded by his fortune, a fortune that probably came from investments, patents and providing technology to other companies. Just because Wells is gone, which by the way nobody knows that yet, means fiscal measures set up to run the lab would stop cold. There is absolutely a security staff, janitorial staff and a maintenance staff at the very least in that building, who knows if there are other workers or not. An accounting dept wouldn't have to be on site but it could be. I can't imagine wells setting down and paying the bills every month. So to answer your question Wells even in his absence is paying the bills, and no there is no oversight on the lab.
                  Last edited by Carmine-Infantino; 05-06-2015, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                    They're feeding their prisoners take-out? That's gotta be expensive. I figured that it was more of a h.s./dorm cafeteria plan, with Cisco whipping up meals of the day. Naturally, Caitlin would lead the yoga/cardio/fitness classes.
                    I'd have imagined pea-soup, with a lot more water than peas

Comment

I never said that there was a board of directors, or any other owner other than Wells. Yes the lab is being funded by his fortune, a fortune that probably came from investments, patents and providing technology to other companies. Just because Wells is gone, which by the way nobody knows that yet, means fiscal measures set up to run the lab would stop cold. There is absolutely a security staff, janitorial staff and a maintenance staff at the very least in that building, who knows if there are other workers or not. An accounting dept wouldn't have to be on site but it could be. I can't imagine wells setting down and paying the bills every month. So to answer your question Wells even in his absence is paying the bills, and no there is no oversight on the lab.
                      We cannot assume any of this. I don't know why you think there are janitors and security people and the like.

I also don't understand why you think the guy in charge of everything could just disappear and all the bills would still get paid. There's no government money that I know of. Star was disgraced after the accident. That's why only Caitlin and Cisco are left.

No. I don't buy it.

Comment

We cannot assume any of this. I don't know why you think there are janitors and security people and the like.

I also don't understand why you think the guy in charge of everything could just disappear and all the bills would still get paid. There's no government money that I know of. Star was disgraced after the accident. That's why only Caitlin and Cisco are left.

No. I don't buy it.
                        well for one thing Cisco referenced a janitor not showing up for work in episode four, in fact he blamed the cold gun going missing on said janitor and that was way after the explosion. I don't understand why you don't think the guy in charge of everything wouldn't have a funding plan in place from the day they broke ground. People in charge of small businesses die everyday and the business goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by speople
                          Richard Pryor by skimming off the excess cents that can't be paid

Seriously though, there was govt funding somewhere as the military was involved with at least Grodd and probably others as well, so it WASN'T all Wells. And tbh, a private individual simply would NEVER get clearance to build a particle acellerator in a populated city no matter how much money they had WITHOUT state and or military say so.

No one needs to pay for anything atm though imo as there are probably enough funds still sloshing around in the accounts to keep Cisco, Caitlin et al paid and maintained for quite a while. It's still a secure facility with loads of EXTREMELY high tech that STILL needs maintenance at the very very least.

Where is that deleted scene with the food ? I've not even heard of it till you mentioned it.

And thx for your praise re my theory regarding the passes, sometimes it's surprising what comes to mind when questions are asked.
                          Kudos for the RP reference.

I know there was money and funding at one point, but one of the plotlines early in the season was that Wells and STAR were disgraced after the accident. There used to be a huge staff and only Cisco and Caitlin were left over. Any government finding was likely pulled. And we haven't heard of any private funding or benefactors except Wells himself .

Even if the accounts still had money in them, the guy in charge still needs to be there. Why would Cisco and Caitlin have access to that money? Why would Eobard allow them access when it makes them more of a threat?

And even if we say Eobard hasn't been gone long enough, shouldn't someone have brought it up? "Hey, guys, what happens when the money stops?"

Comment

well for one thing Cisco referenced a janitor not showing up for work in episode four, in fact he blamed the cold gun going missing on said janitor and that was way after the explosion. I don't understand why you don't think the guy in charge of everything wouldn't have a funding plan in place from the day they broke ground. People in charge of small businesses die everyday and the business goes on.
                            He's not dead, though. He can call the accountant and say " don't pay them. Stop giving my adversaries money." And if he hasn't done that, wouldn't Cisco and Caitlin wonder why the bad guy is still paying them?

And okay on the one janitor, but that still begs the question of who is paying the janitor.

Comment

Kudos for the RP reference.

I know there was money and funding at one point, but one of the plotlines early in the season was that Wells and STAR were disgraced after the accident. There used to be a huge staff and only Cisco and Caitlin were left over. Any government finding was likely pulled. And we haven't heard of any private funding or benefactors except Wells himself .

Even if the accounts still had money in them, the guy in charge still needs to be there. Why would Cisco and Caitlin have access to that money? Why would Eobard allow them access when it makes them more of a threat?

And even if we say Eobard hasn't been gone long enough, shouldn't someone have brought it up? "Hey, guys, what happens when the money stops?"
                              Cisco and Caitlin wouldn't have access to any of the accounts, but they would have company credit cards for small purchases. A place like star labs would have open accounts with all of there suppliers, which would be payable by purchase order, which they could issue. Purchase orders, payroll and bills would all be handled by an accounting firm.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎