No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "The Fallen?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
    As a casual Arrow fan, I am entirely intrigued by this version of Ra's Al Ghul and his plans for Oliver. When they first cast Matt Nable, I thought he was a terrible choice, mostly by looks alone. He just didn't embody any of the characteristics I have come to associate with the character. Having watched his performance, he has totally won me over and I can admit that I was dead wrong. He's an excellent Ra's Al Ghul and one of the highlights of this season.
    Agreed he's been excellent as Ra's Al Ghul.

Don't know how Ollie and gang are going to get out of this one.

Ollie looked awesomely superbad in the end.
    Last edited by Who; 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by acer15
      Felicity is pissed that Oliver left for the league but it will be interested to see what they do to felicity the final 3 episodes. I do have 1 question for people who read the comics.
      In the comics does Oliver ever leave the league and come back as just the Arrow?
      Oliver doesn't join the League of Assassins in the comics at all. But I'm guessing that he'll find a way to return to being the Arrow in Starling City. The question is how he'll get out of it and how he'll deal with Lance knowing and the Arrow being public enemy #1 at the moment. I have no doubt that he'll leave the League and return at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
        - Laurel's absence. What are they doing with her? Last week, she wasn't around when Roy said goodbye, even though she and he bonded when Oliver was presumed dead. This week, Oliver is leaving for good to join the League and she doesn't even get a goodbye? I don't care if they actually shot a scene with her and Ollie at the airport (which they did). The fact that they deleted it shows what little regard they had for it. This isn't a case of Lauliver vs Olicity. I just consider it a load of bs that after 2 years of the show telling us otherwise, Oliver and Laurel share no type of bond whatsoever. They've retconned the hell out of that relationship.

...- What was the point of Sara's death again? Does anyone even remember it happened? Will Malcolm ever be brought to justice for it?
        I am getting more frustrated as it appears there will be no repercussions for what Malcolm did.

I like Laurel and Felicity as friends but not if it means watching Laurel have to console her over Oliver. I think it is time for Laurel/Black Canary to move to a new city and get her own show.
        Last edited by SteelyGal; 04-23-2015, 03:12 PM.

Comment

The writers will come up with something really twisted to get Oliver out of the League and start the Justice league.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyGal
            I am getting more frustrated as it appears there will be no repercussions for what Malcolm did.

I like Laurel and Felicity as friends but not if it means watching Laurel have to console her over Oliver. I think it is time for Laurel/Black Canary to move to a new city and get her own show.
            My thoughts exactly. I am really frustrated that they haven't brought Malcolm to justice, and I don't get why Laurel wasn't told about Thea. This season alone, Oliver has made a point to say that Thea and Laurel are like sisters to each other. How was she left out of the loop until after all was said and done?

Comment

Originally posted by dark sister
              If you cut Felicity's scenes you get a solid episode
              If you cut Olicity we'd have a solid season

Comment

Originally posted by dreamsofnever
                My thoughts exactly. I am really frustrated that they haven't brought Malcolm to justice, and I don't get why Laurel wasn't told about Thea. This season alone, Oliver has made a point to say that Thea and Laurel are like sisters to each other. How was she left out of the loop until after all was said and done?
                Wonder what Quentin will do if he finds out.

Comment

There was a lot to like in this episode -- but there was also an equal amount not to like, ranging from irksome to annoying.

On the plus side, the "A" plot (Thea's dying forcing Ollie's hand in accepting Ra's offer to be heir) was interesting and easily the plot that's most important to me this season. There will be much to digest re: consequences, ethics and how everyone involved can retain his/her own principles post-Lazarus Pit'd Thea. It's a question if the price paid for playing into Ra's hands (with more than enough fair warning before Ra's fought Thea) will be too high and become not worth its cost. It's a safe bet that the "Thea" Ollie got back after the Pit is no longer the same Thea that lay dying at the hospital.

While Ra's is responsible for putting Thea on the verge of death, forced-hand or not it's Ollie's choice to subject her to the pit and resurrect her. He and the team can't claim immunity going forward for any of its consequences (including any LOA actions under the rule of Al Sah-him), esp. with Malcolm's 9th-inning warnings. I am loving the potential for any of the angles they may pursue with this plot.

The HK flashback scenes, not just here but throughout S3, only sporadically reinforce plots or themes in the present. It's become one of the weaker elements this season. This is in contrast to previous seasons where the flashbacks were more helpful in defining or emphasizing the present-day plots. The endgame of the flashbacks -- what happens to Akio -- will likely have some level of dramatic impact by the season finale, but as a whole I don't think the S3 flashback scenes have been executed/written well enough to deliver on this.

Now let's address the leviathan in the room: Olicity. It was inevitable, especially once Ray and Felicity ended whatever it was they thought they had together. The only plus here was Ra's chit-chat with Felicity, which was a bit more than just to accelerate the ship. The sensible message was that she needed to put her cards on table re: Ollie ASAP because Ollie will not have a time/place for this once he assumes his Al Sah-him identity. I saw their scenes as the climax (pun intended ) of their ship as it has existed since S1. There's no direction for Olicity to go but down and Ra's advice essentially foreshadowed it. Ra's is not going to indulge such trivialities in his heir, nor should he.

Which brings us to Felicity's hare-brained scheme to try to spirit Ollie out of Nanda Parbat. It was doomed to fail -- and Ollie knew it. It was only Ollie's quick-thinking and Maseo's momentary lapse in loyalty to the League that prevented it from being a massacre. Ollie essentially bought their lives by surrendering his freedom. When you take the "she did it all for love" soapy shipper coating around it, it was a ridiculously hazardous plan (if you could even call it a plan). What if people got hurt/killed during the escape? What if Ra's saw Maseo's actions as a betrayal and took his life in return? All this would have been on Felicity had it unfolded. That it didn't happen doesn't excuse the absurdity of the whole scheme.

Many fans didn't like Laurel's melodrama-heavy S2 story arc and, while some of the criticisms were warranted, some of them were likely due to her being a perceived "obstacle" to Olicity. As for S3, Laurel has emerged as one of the stronger characters (and stronger female characters) on the show. It's an important distinction to make because she's the one defining herself more and more ... and being less defined by her association with Ollie. It's actually a blessing that Ollie chose not to train her. He's not her bf nor her trainer -- so his two cents don't count re: Laurel's own path to heroism. She's going to make bad decisions and mistakes, but the choices in her journey will be hers alone. She will own the defeats, but also the successes. This will benefit BC in the long run as a superhero in her own right.

In contrast, everything about S3 Felicity is that she's become more and more being defined by how well/poorly she fares with Ollie. I miss S1-early S2 Felicity, who didn't need or want to be defined by anyone. Olicity achieved its endgame this ep. -- fan service achieved. In my book, it should not take a whole new season to wrap it up and see the end of Olicity. S3 Olicity wounded Felicity's character development, and to some degree S3 Ollie's as well. Not mortally (yet), so there is still hope. Let's get back to developing Felicity as an independent character in S4 whose happiness or identity doesn't depend on someone else.

Loved the Ra's stuff, the flashbacks were more of the (ho-hum ) same ... and I've had my fill of Olicity this season and as a subplot in the series. If Olicity was the indigestion in this ep., then the main Ra's plot was the TUMS.

Comment

Great Episode. But where was Sara? Wasn't she a part of the Trailer?! Hope she returns soon.

Comment

Originally posted by realRhino
                      Great Episode. But where was Sara? Wasn't she a part of the Trailer?! Hope she returns soon.
                      She was in the trailer but I wouldn't be surprised if that was just a tease for how they will be bringing Lotz back for the next spin off show.

Comment

The episode felt really disjointed to me. I think in general they've got a lousy editor. The flashbacks felt like to me an entirely different show, and one I'm tired of being forced to watch in between watching Arrow. The flashbacks work well when they are minimal and thematically reflective of what's going on in the present, but they didn't feel like that this episode.

I DID like present day Maseo/Masao; he's getting intriguing, and I loved the conversation between him and Diggle.

I could have done without the sex scene, which felt gratuitous and out of place to me personally. (I recognize for others, it was the only significant thing that happened in the show. ) I liked Felicity in the rest of the episode, especially where she tries to stand up to Ra's.

Oliver's journey was at least pretty solid, and I think Amell's acting was on the top of its game.

I thought Thea's reaction to the Lazarus Pit was underwhelming. I thought they were going to be fighting Super-Speedy as a main conflict in the episode and it just ended up being a quick "grrr" and then, whoops, sedative and her being dopey for the rest of the episode. Meh. (Maybe we'll see other effects later.)

I love Merlyn but I really don't know why everyone's so willingly hanging out with him. This is one of those "characters being out of character things because plot" that's been happening all season. (I've enjoyed much of the season, mind, but that's bugged me.)

I wish Laurel had been clued in sooner to what was happening--IIRC there is a cut scene where Oliver says good bye to her earlier in the ep and that one might have been more fitting to include, but no, what was probably a good character development scene had to be cut for pointless, boring gunfights in Hong Kong and an extra 10 seconds of Felicity banging Oliver, because that's more plot-important. Again with the bad editing.

All of the above of course is in my personal opinion.

Comment

I really don’t see how it’s possible that Oliver will get out of this situation. That’s what intrigues me about this storyline. Ra's al Ghul has proven himself to be a very formidable foe to Oliver and his team indeed.

Comment

Yeah, that's sort of where I am also. I have no idea how they are going to bring him out of this and wrap up his identity arc. And I think they WILL wrap up the identity arc this season- which means we will get him back to being a hero and hopefully able to balance both sides of himself. I just have no idea how it's going to happen in 3 episodes. And they have said that there will be an appearance setting the stage for next year's big bad in it. So, we will need to be at a point where that can happen. I think the last 3 episodes will be quite the ride. I kind of think that the writers are trying to approach this like there's only one arc- and it could be wrapped up in less episodes- so we've gotten a bunch of drama and angst thrown in because they haven't had anywhere to really go with it. Don't get me wrong, I still love the show- but hopefully next year's arc will be a little more succinct. As for the HK flashbacks- I anticipate that there is more to this virus than we know, but they haven't been as good as last years for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathQuaker
                              The flashbacks work well when they are minimal and thematically reflective of what's going on in the present, but they didn't feel like that this episode.
                              Ahh.. I think you missed the theme because it was connected to Maseao not Ollie.

The theme was "if you don't try [to save the innocent] you're just a shell." Tatsu says it to Maseao when he questions going to the market to recover the virus. And Maseao gives it as his reason for helping the team spirit Ollie out of Nanda Parbat.

i'm intrigued by the implications of this for Maseao. He appears to be awakening from the numbness he's been in since Aiko died. First when he rescued Ollie after his duel with Ra's and now siding with Team Arrow to get Ollie away from a fate he knows Ollie does not want. It seems to me, Ollie is not the only one wrestling with identity and I think Maseao will play a big role in these final episodes helping Oliver overcome Ra's and the League.

Comment

Agree that I was worried when I heard Nable would be Ra's. I immediately remembered him from Riddick and didn't think he could do justice to such a character as Ra's. I'm glad I was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎